• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

jett

D-Member
Gotta say using Amiibo rubs me the wrong way. This is cheating. Might as well spawn some armor and shit, why not.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
She was on a pretty clean run until that bit.

edit: Jett, same, but eh, community decided it was OK, so there ya go, arbitrariness. sva at least isn't running with it.

I just wanted to say I'm so glad stasis has practical use in a speed run. I was really worried it'd be a cool trick that was just never convenient enough to be useful in stuff like this

Gotta say using Amiibo rubs me the wrong way. This is cheating. Might as well spawn some armor and shit, why not.

What's the difference between using an amiibo, versus another run like Majora's Mask where he was clipping through walls and exploiting the game like crazy?

Speedrunning uses every possible game mechanic, amiibos are no different

CookTrain

I too, feel Amiibo should be banned from speed runs. I'd love to hear the speed run communities justification of them though.

In general, I think the runs without Amiibos are more on the level. But for marathons, skipping the horse wrangling that arbitrarily adds RNG, why not keep it moving?

What's the difference between using an amiibo, versus another run like Majora's Mask where he was clipping through walls and exploiting the game like crazy?

They don't even save that much time in optimal settings. Best non amiibo run is just a minute behind the world record

Jedi2016

I too, feel Amiibo should be banned from speed runs. I'd love to hear the speed run communities justification of them though.
You need the horse one way or another, all it does is save a bit of time. That is the whole point, after all.

Why is everyone perfectly okay with people exploiting glitches and bugs, but balk at using something that the devs actually meant to be used, like Amiibo?

A22uXBI.gif

Wallach

I don't get it either. We watch dudes save / reload, manipulate memory registers, utilize new game + items, clip through floors into thin air so they can walk to a completely different part of the game. The amiibo stuff which is part of the game seems very small time.

In general, I think the runs without Amiibos are more on the level. But for marathons, skipping the horse wrangling that arbitrarily adds RNG, why not keep it moving?

The amiibo adds rng as well. They could just scan in powerful weapons and healing items if they wanted to try.

You need the horse one way or another, all it does is save a bit of time. That is the whole point, after all.

Why is everyone perfectly okay with people exploiting glitches and bugs, but balk at using something that the devs actually meant to be used, like Amiibo?

It's the same reason I don't like the idea of using a game genie for speed runs. Any outside device that isn't built into the game code I'm against. If there were an exploit to summon amiibo without actually scanning amiibo I'd be all for it.

saying amiibo should be banned is the same argument as banning the tingle tuner in tww. that also allows you to literally cheat. Same thing, but people dont usually care there

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's crazy enough that you have to fight all 4 Divine Beast bosses in a single streak when you don't do the dungeons, THEN fight at Ganon at full health instead of half health, but she's doing it with Link butt naked with no extra hearts.

Insanity.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why are you guys getting hung up on Amiibos after all the weird stuff that has been going on all week?

Like, people messing with memory values and going out of bounds into loading zones and exploiting games in every which way... and Amiibo is what breaks it for you?

TheChits

It's crazy enough that you have to fight all 4 Divine Beast bosses in a single streak when you don't do the dungeons, THEN fight at Ganon at full health instead of half health, but she's doing it with Link butt naked with no extra hearts.

Insanity.

Yeah I really want to try this. Seems super tough

Top Bottom