• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Damn pyramid head scared the shit out of me. Now I just need to get good with these controls

I heard someone talking about the P5 trailer while I was in EB Games today.
The hype is real.

I saw at least 3 people at my college watching the P5 trailer. Shit is gonna sell well.

She's this game's ultimate lame it out characters. There are other characters that can be good at it too like Yukari and Margaret, but Yukiko's whole game is to lame it out.

BTW Zed. teddie/windy is IIvocare.
You should main her then.
I don't know about maining her but I'll play around more. her delayed fireshot things were really good and that fan game is just as strong as it was in P4A. Thinking about it, i think that is why I'm having such difficulties picking a main in Xrd, no one screams out "I'm just going to sit here and you have to deal with that".
What is bestGAF's opinion on Yu Yu Hakusho?

I've never seen it but I know it is very popular and a lot of people look back on it fondly.

That's a really cool gimmick. He's the slow start character, that gets way better as the match keeps going. And I like how the runs carry over in rounds because that'd be bullshit if it didn't

It's neat, but also frustrating. I'm glad that 2.0 is at least changing it so you don't get an out when you tech a grab. Once you do get golden bomber mode, though, you can do some amazing shit.

mrmyhthef

That's a really cool gimmick. He's the slow start character, that gets way better as the match keeps going. And I like how the runs carry over in rounds because that'd be bullshit if it didn't

It is a cool gimmick. Unfortunately that means he starts as one of the worst characters in the game and once he powers up, he can finally do things most of the rest of the cast can do from the start.

I still think he's the most fun character to play in the entire roster though, moreso than my actual main
Yosuke

I don't know about maining her but I'll play around more. her delayed fireshot things were really good and that fan game is just as strong as it was in P4A. Thinking about it, i think that is why I'm having such difficulties picking a main in Xrd, no one screams out "I'm just going to sit here and you have to deal with that".

Xrd's still lacking in a lot of places. Its a great foundation with some weird design choices, but I imagine that the newer iterations will improve on a lot (hopefully the netcode as well).

Try Venom or Bedman.
Xrd's still lacking in a lot of places. Its a great foundation with some weird design choices, but I imagine that the newer iterations will improve on a lot (hopefully the netcode as well).

Real talk, even with Ultimax's bs I'm still having more fun with it then I am with Xrd.

It's neat, but also frustrating. I'm glad that 2.0 is at least changing it so you don't get an out when you tech a grab. Once you do get golden bomber mode, though, you can do some amazing shit.

It is a cool gimmick. Unfortunately that means he starts as one of the worst characters in the game and once he powers up, he can finally do things most of the rest of the cast can do from the start.

I still think he's the most fun character to play in the entire roster though, moreso than my actual main
Yosuke

I'm reading about it and it sounds fucking amazing when he does get the clean hit. Wall bounces on every hit with the bat? That's fucking insane.

Almost wish Yukari got this kind of stuff, but I guess I'm fine with her being a simple character compared to the rest of the roster.

I'm.. mostly okay. My nan moved to pallative care yesterday, and she doesn't seem to be in any pain so that's something.

it-okay-dont-be-cry.gif

My hands keep getting sweaty and then he 1 hit K.Os me. I remember someone telling me you can just lame it out and keep dodging and eventually he will get tired and run away
Probably wanna spoiler tag from here on out with the game.

Also if you want an answer
That's the only thing you can do is run

Try Venom or Bedman.

Real talk, even with Ultimax's bs I'm still having more fun with it then I am with Xrd.

Bedmin is my go to at the moment, I really like his weird air game and the rewind mechanic. I agree with you whole heartedly, Ultimax is way more fun to play

From the Reddit. Pat after playing Arcana Heart |DMThePerson|
T5dS1jr.jpg

I'm reading about it and it sounds fucking amazing when he does get the clean hit. Wall bounces on every hit with the bat? That's fucking insane.

Almost wish Yukari got this kind of stuff, but I guess I'm fine with her being a simple character compared to the rest of the roster.

The sound of a clean hit is like nothing else. Victory Cry does make junpei a lot better, but not still not great.

Its just kind of weird seeing them go backwards on a lot of things that ultimax perfected. Like, I'm still baffled on why so much of Xrd is just so mash heavy. Mash to recover from pretty frequent dizzy status, mash to recover from very frequent hitstun, mash to air recover. Like in a fighting game, mashing is the last thing you want to do because that just completely fucks everything up when you're mashing to recover and you do recover and you just keep punching instead of guarding and get linked into a different combo. Its just so odd that ArcSys thought it was a good idea.

Its just kind of weird seeing them go backwards on a lot of things that ultimax perfected. Like, I'm still baffled on why so much of Xrd is just so mash heavy. Mash to recover from pretty frequent dizzy status, mash to recover from very frequent hitstun, mash to air recover. Like in a fighting game, mashing is the last thing you want to do because that just completely fucks everything up when you're mashing to recover and you do recover and you just keep punching instead of guarding and get linked into a different combo. Its just so odd that ArcSys thought it was a good idea.
I might be talking out of my ass, but isn't that how previous GG games worked?
I wasted all my ammo the first time fighting him. I'm not smart enough to hear the ding sound
It's ok, I was dumb the first time too

I might be talking out of my ass, but isn't that how previous GG games worked?

Even if it is, that doesn't justify the decision to keep doing it. I'm ok on a lot of other design choices the game has like the multitude of roman cancels, the instant guarding, etc. because they all feel like they have a purpose and aren't hindering the game. I'm struggling to see why mashing to recover from hitsun and air recover over holding a button instead is better.

Its not like holding the button in Xrd does anything. So why not just do it that way and make it way better?

Zenfalcia

Eh...I don't know, I think it was less about her standalone design and more due to her in comparison to all the other characters in the game, that had very restrained looks.

It would be like putting Blazblue character into a Street Fighter game, they would stick out like crazy.

Yeah, I understand that sentiment. Sounds about right.

Guess no one has an opinion on my aigis ;-;

you learned how to effectively anti air me after playing one match against me, which is really good and you have some combos. I don't know much about how you play aigis but I'll just give the general advice of learn the pokes, learn how to footsie, and git gud

Even if it is, that doesn't justify the decision to keep doing it. I'm ok on a lot of other design choices the game has like the multitude of roman cancels, the instant guarding, etc. because they all feel like they have a purpose and aren't hindering the game. I'm struggling to see why mashing to recover from hitsun and air recover over holding a button instead is better.

Its not like holding the button in Xrd does anything. So why not just do it that way and make it way better?
Yeah. My only defense is if its a holdover, which isn't much of an excuse other than being scared it'd actually upset someone hardcore. Especially for something so small.

From the Reddit. Pat after playing Arcana Heart |DMThePerson|

Perfect.

My issues with it are that it feels weird. The game feels abnormally slow for an Arcsys game. At least compared to the games I've played. Also, the way the health bar works is weird. It goes down really quick at first and near the end it hardly moves. Lastly, I'm not a fan of 1 button throws.

You got some decent combos, but aigis can do so much more. Also, aigis has some pretty good pressure which you should be utilising.

Good at executing combos, not so good at reading opponents and handling pressure. That's how I came back and won against you in that one match with Yukari. You're approach in most cases is pretty predictable as well, but for someone newer than all of us at Ultimax you've gotten damn good.

Perfect.

My issues with it are that it feels weird. The game feels abnormally slow for an Arcsys game. At least compared to the games I've played. Also, the way the health bar works is weird. It goes down really quick at first and near the end it hardly moves. Lastly, I'm not a fan of 1 button throws.

pretty much all of this. Arcsys are infamous for releasing new and improved versions of their games with more content really frequently right? The game looks amazing but what you and Skla are saying is all truth. Maybe the next version will help sort everything out

Also fuck those throws

Yeah. My only defense is if its a holdover, which isn't much of an excuse other than being scared it'd actually upset someone hardcore. Especially for something so small.

A toggle then at least. I really don't think its even that major a change other than "oh they did it this way, yeah ok, I'll just hold it." I really don't know how anyone could deal with it before unless they've memorized their own character's timing for recovery against every other character's attacks.

I have no problem with the one button throw personally. But the problem with it, is that it feels like it doesn't work unless you're ridiculously close to them.

The secret is I gotta defend Xrd cause my PS3 ded
A toggle then at least. I really don't think its even that major a change other than "oh they did it this way, yeah ok, I'll just hold it." I really don't know how anyone could deal with it before unless they've memorized their own character's timing for recovery against every other character's attacks.
Yeah, it's stupidly minor and would be better.

Might as well ask for some advice on improving my Junpei. Right now I'm trying to rely less on my Persona and focus more on getting runs. I'm also trying to teach myself some golden bomber combos. If there's anything else let me know.

Top Bottom