• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Zenfalcia

This (somehow) really made me think.
BestGAF, how shitty does a character's personality need to be to undermine a really great design? Examples(prefererably not from persona, but that's also fine) please.

Unrelatable, cliche, bland, or inconsistent to the design like a sporty design except the girl doesn't like sport or something like that. There are other things that affect personality too, like the writing and story.

Examples... I don't really have any at the moment.

Skrams

BestGAF, how shitty does a character's personality need to be to undermine a really great design? Examples(prefererably not from persona, but that's also fine) please.

170px-FFXIII-Lightning_CG.png

First thing that came to mind. I'm also curving the question a bit, but I bet people hate when a fighting game characters playstyle clashes with their design. A good design with a playstyle the person hates or vice versa.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, probably not.

Btw, this one Garo episode I just watched had the city blacksmiths build a power armor resembling the protagonist's design and they used it to fight this huge bear tha-
Odd, I suddenly felt like posting that. Now where was I? Oh yeah!

Everyone here is watching Ippo, right? Thought I'd ask.

It's already begun. The power of ippo is slowly taking over your body.

JoJo94

I'm trying to think of an example but nothing is coming to mind right now sorry.

there's another main character that has shortish hair, too! Woolie will probably like her

She's already in the Woolie hole then.

First thing that came to mind. I'm also curving the question a bit, but I bet people hate when a fighting game characters playstyle clashes with their design. A good design with a playstyle the person hates or vice versa.

If lightning is a bad design, so is Cloud.

360pages

Most of the FF designs are fine (I honestly think 9 has the worst designs) I think Kingdom hearts are the only ones that go a little out there.

semisonic

Banned
Most of the FF designs are fine (I honestly think 9 has the worst designs) I think Kingdom hearts are the only ones that go a little out there.

I always thought TWEWY designs were just like if kingdom hearts designs were more understated. Which I think is fantastic. TWEWY designs are outrageously gud.

I've been playing the game myself and I'm literally 3 seconds ahead of where they just stopped in Part 10 of Parasite Eve. I've not watched a lot of other parts of the playthrough, but did the guys notice how x2, x3, x5, and all that don't mean anything? I even looked up an FAQ to make sure they don't mean anything.

Or something like that. The amount of bullets doesn't matter. It just splits the damage potential between the bullets. I have about 300 bullets right now while they have 150 or something because I assume they've been doing some weird bullshit with their rifle being x3 and other junk. The way this games handles items and stuff is weird. I'll probably just keep pumping stats into my rifle since it's 41 damage then just eventually give its stats to a better rifle later unless I find some way better gun.

It's to better distribute damage across multiple enemies in a given turn, rather than just flat out increase damage through increased fire. It's weird as hell, but a cool way to measure the bonuses of a weapon over another.

Skrams

If lightning is a bad design, so is Cloud.

Huh

The question was what's a cool character design with a shitty personality. You don't really need to bring up Cloud any time someone brings up Lightning either.

It's to better distribute damage across multiple enemies in a given turn, rather than just flat out increase damage through increased fire. It's weird as hell, but a cool way to measure the bonuses of a weapon over another.

It's weird, but yeah, it's neat. I don't necessarily find it a great idea for certain guns like the rifle where you want a high damaging shot and the time in between shots is ludicrous. For something like the machine guns or pistols where you could potentially kill an enemy with 3 bullets so you want to pump one into the other enemies then yeah, it makes sense. I just scrapped my rifle and put all of it's stat boosts into the machine gun since ratatatat. It's way faster and now does more damage than the rifle did previously. It has significantly less range, but no big deal.

Well I just finished Hajime no Ippo without even knowing it. I need more, where does the manga pick up from the ending of Rising? Oh yea it's also in my top 5 anime's I've watched, I fucking love it

Skrams

Well I just finished Hajime no Ippo without even knowing it. I need more, where does the manga pick up from the ending of Rising? Oh yea it's also in my top 5 anime's I've watched, I fucking love it

It's pretty great. You did watch the Mashiba vs Kimura OVA and The Champions Road movie right? I accidentally skipped those like a dummy when first watching Ippo. Also PM'd you the link. It should be right after the Eagle fight.

Made a list of the Top 5 games I am hyped for the rest of 2015

Persona 5
Legend of Zelda U
Star Fox U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Metal Gear Solid V: TPP

No Bloodborne. What a lame guy. I also really wonder if we'll get Persona 5 this year. It just doesn't seem like a game to me yet.

Xiraiya

Beloved and I just watched Ao Haru Ride, decent little series, though it seems like it needs a second season to resolve things.

So we look up what the second season would be covering and were both like "Well fuck watching the characters go through that BS"
And so basically we just wanted to confirm that everything ends up okay and that's it.
I can appreciate a romance anime but I cannot fucking stand so many tropes in that genre, making characters go through bullshit when you know full well how things should/will end up, it's just senseless drama.

Zenfalcia

Beloved and I just watched Ao Haru Ride, decent little series, though it seems like it needs a second season to resolve things.

I can appreciate a romance anime but I cannot fucking stand so many tropes in that genre, making characters go through bullshit when you know full well how things should/will end up, it's just senseless drama.

I should finish that series. It's just your normal shoujo where everthing doesn't really do much to break the mold. Was it a good shoujo at least?

semisonic

Banned

So we look up what the second season would be covering and were both like "Well fuck watching the characters go through that BS"
And so basically we just wanted to confirm that everything ends up okay and that's it.

You should probably watch oregairu, toradora, or hyouka.
They're the best examples of the genre for sure
along with SAO, the Greatest Love Story Ever Told

It's pretty great. You did watch the Mashiba vs Kimura OVA and The Champions Road movie right? I accidentally skipped those like a dummy when first watching Ippo. Also PM'd you the link. It should be right after the Eagle fight.

Yea I watched the OVA and movie, the feels were too strong in the Mashiba vs Kimura fight. Also thanks for the link.
My God... it's got almost 1000 chapters and the anime is only halfway?! I'm expecting some crazy shit to happen in those 500 or so chapters

sjay1994

Man, watching that Unity vid reminds me of another reason why I fucking hate that game.

It FEELS like shit when you play it. Its so slow and turgid... fuck me. Everytime I hear about this game I just get so fucking pissed of.

Top Bottom