• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Is it easier for a newb like me to get into like the other ones? I played a PSP monster hunter game back when I was in middle school and returned it to the video store after an hour.

Absolutely. I'll be talking about it more about it on the podcast next week (I'm not doing a review, I'll just be podcasting about it) but the introduction before getting to Jaggi is much shorter (about 90 minutes, plus a real, honest to god tutorial and helpful tips), as well as quests for every single weapon type explaining the basics. The 25-ish monsters you go through in Low-Rank are much, much better paced than 3Us. I was shocked when Rathalos and Rathian showed up at the very end of Low-Rank as 5 star monsters. It's a much smoother incline with different locations, a throwaway but appreciated series of story bits, and Gore Magala is a fantastic villain. It's also got shitloads of mechanical improvements for old hunters like setting item sets. Oh god item sets.

Okingjrr

Embargo is up. All that shit I've read about MonHun all week was actually me playing it. Questions?
Have been enjoying it more than you did while playing monhun3?
Have they addressed some of the short comings of the previous titles?
You've been playing the series for a while so this might go unanswered: accessibility, is it easy to get into?

Absolutely. I'll be talking about it more about it on the podcast next week (I'm not doing a review, I'll just be podcasting about it) but the introduction before getting to Jaggi is much shorter (about 90 minutes, plus a real, honest to god tutorial and helpful tips), as well as quests for every single weapon type explaining the basics. The 25-ish monsters you go through in Low-Rank are much, much better paced than 3Us. I was shocked when Rathalos and Rathian showed up at the very end of Low-Rank as 5 star monsters. It's a much smoother incline with different locations, a throwaway but appreciated series of story bits, and Gore Magala is a fantastic villain. It's also got shitloads of mechanical improvements for old hunters like setting item sets. Oh god item sets.
Awesome, ill definitely buy it when I have the money.

Have been enjoying it more than you did while playing monhun3?
Have they addressed some of the short comings of the previous titles?
You've been playing the series for a while so this might go unanswered: accessibility, is it easy to get into?

I just answered the accesibility one. As for the shortcomings question, lemme grab my notes.

"Exciting Tutorial where you fight the Dah'ren Mohran.
Proper explanation of system mechanics at each merchant.
Supply Box improved, now shows exact item required.
Very cute loading screens.
Palicos are way better than Chacha and Kayamba. They're also considerably more
in depth.
Unique quests for weapon training.
Creation of ITEM SETS
Can sometimes get item x 8! when gathering
Palicos gain levels
Pickaxes and nets break far less often
Online/Co-op location is now an in town area, easy to switch between
G-rank has it's own town.
Armour skills are completely different.
Unexplored Forest is much more interesting than Moga Woods
Much more even gear treadmill in the early game.
Many more dedicated SpiderWeb locations
Ancient Steps and Sunken Hollow are both far more interesting than Moga Woods
and Hot Desert.
Item sets are a godsend for gathering.
Both enemy difficulty and feature complexity ramp up much more smoothly than in 3U
Able to throw tranqs straight down
Most necessary components purchaseable or farmable now.
Due to larger roster, huge amounts of monsters were saved for High-Rank
Only 25 of 73 monsters are in low-rank.
Boss fight with Shagara Magala is a knockdown drag-out final boss fight
54 hours to beat Low-Rank."

How much time do you forsee yourself dumping into this game before and after other hype games comes out?

I'm 70 in and I've killed a single high rank Monster. This thing is fucking absurdly packed with content. I did 180 in 3U and that had far less stuff, a worse G-rank, didn't have the charge blade or insect staff (which are amazing) and no Frenzy monsters. This thing is going to absorb me for a long damn time.

Also a bit off an off topic question, but does anyone here know if the Elgato Game Capture HD works with the Playstation TV? Considering picking one up.

I'm wondering that too, but rather I have the OG 3DS. Tried the demo, but the camera was a massive pain to work with, despite the game itself looking like fun. It's also my first MH, so it might just be something that'll improve over time.

Pretty much the exact same thing here. The camera control just drives me batty but I did manage to get used to Peace Walker controls on PSP so I can definitely adapt as long as it doesn't kill your hands like Kid Icarus does.

I'm wondering that too, but rather I have the OG 3DS. Tried the demo, but the camera was a massive pain to work with, despite the game itself looking like fun. It's also my first MH, so it might just be something that'll improve over time.

Were you using target lock? That's all I needed on my XL to make it work.

Also a bit off an off topic question, but does anyone here know if the Elgato Game Capture HD works with the Playstation TV? Considering picking one up.

You gotta break HDCP on it to get it working.

Zenfalcia

I'm 70 in and I've killed a single high rank Monster. This thing is fucking absurdly packed with content. I did 180 in 3U and that had far less stuff, a worse G-rank, didn't have the charge blade or insect staff (which are amazing) and no Frenzy monsters. This thing is going to absorb me for a long damn time.

That's good/bad news since there's still the long tutorial to go through. The changes to make it more easily accessible is also good. It almost seems neccessary to have a new 3ds to have the best experience, since the nub makes a huge difference.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't having it that early mean it's kind of impossible for you to do anything online with anyone for at least another 2-3 weeks due to you being so far beyond everyone else right now?

mike0dude

Wish I hadn't been super broke when they announced the new 3ds monster hunter bundle now I'm never getting a new 3ds because I can't get the shiny cool one. Guess that means I will also never experience the Pat crack.
It's probably better this way tho...

That's good/bad news since there's still the long tutorial to go through. The changes to make it more easily accessible is also good. It almost seems neccessary to have a new 3ds to have the best experience, since the nub makes a huge difference.

Time to Jaggi is about an hour if you're quick, 90 minutes if you take your time. You'll be hunting Monsters within your first sitting. And honestly, the nub is nice, but target lock is so good that I haven't missed it (I'm playing it on an old XL, remember?) The new tutorials are a massive improvement on the old. First quest teaches you basic shit and you fight Dah'ren Mohran, second one teaches you steak, third one teaches you gathering, fourth I think is Jaggi. I think. Maybe Seltas. The point is that time to monster hunting is the lowest it's ever been by far.

Wish I hadn't been super broke when they announced the new 3ds monster hunter bundle now I'm never getting a new 3ds because I can't get the shiny cool one. Guess that means I will also never experience the Pat crack.
It's probably better this way tho...

I was considering selling my 3DS XL to pay for half of the MH4U bundle but then I realized the next 3-4 months are fucking ridiculous and if I did that I wouldn't be able to afford upcoming games.

Zenfalcia

Time to Jaggi is about an hour if you're quick, 90 minutes if you take your time. You'll be hunting Monsters within your first sitting. And honestly, the nub is nice, but target lock is so good that I haven't missed it (I'm playing it on an old XL, remember?) The new tutorials are a massive improvement on the old. First quest teaches you basic shit and you fight Dah'ren Mohran, second one teaches you steak, third one teaches you gathering, fourth I think is Jaggi. I think. Maybe Seltas. The point is that time to monster hunting is the lowest it's ever been by far.

Really? That quick? Ah, for some reason i was under the impression you got your new 3ds xl early somehow. You got it digitally or an early physical copy?

p5 hype train started like 5 days ago almost. It subsided and what is there to talk about in the p5 trailer? It's fucking amazing.
Ah well I wanted to hear you woolie and liam flipping out but yeah I guess the hype train slowed down.
Why do these games not have an HD remaster yet?
It is a god damn crime that none of the dot.Hack games have gotten an HD remake, almost every popular PS2 game has gotten an HD rerelease at this point.

My only experience with MH was MH3U on the 3DS and it was an odd one. Went co-op, buddy found and activated a mission and I just followed lead, not really knowing what I was getting myself into.

My very first battle ever was against what is apparently called a Qurupeco, which we were beating up fairly well, causing it to flee (and it kept calling for help and healing itself), until our weapons started breaking and we had nothing to fix them with. Then, after a really long while, a giant dragon appeared out of nowhere and started throwing fireballs at us and flying towards us.

I survived somehow, but I had to quit the mission and didn't really touch it again. Despite that, it was fun in an odd way. I should try that Demo again.

Qurupeco is the wall. He's the point where people quit because he's tough in his own right and summons the dramatically stronger Rathian, and new players don't know about using dung bombs to scare away monsters.

Ok im about to go to sleep, so someone has to remind me when I first post tomorrow morning/afternoon to redraw this scene from its always sunny
put-it-back-it-doesnt-belong-to-you1.jpg
with the characters from my story, and specifically have my protagonist say Danny Devitos lines.
fun fact my protagonist is an orphan who was found by nuns in a dumpster

Ok im about to go to sleep, so someone has to remind me when I first post tomorrow morning/afternoon to redraw this scene from its always sunny

with the characters from my story, and specifically have my protagonist say Danny Devitos lines.
fun fact my protagonist is an orphan who was found by nuns in a dumpster

I can't believe Dee and Mac used their real life baby to portray an abandoned trash baby in their show, lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Motherfuckerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Rogue Legacy locked up my PS3 while I was fighting the last boss, and upon restarting my PS3 I discovered the save was corrupted.

Fucking wonderful. Never playing this again. =/

Dammit why isn't there an anime of TWEWY? The characters and artstyle would be a perfect fit.

I ask myself this question every night before bed.

Looks like the thread is mostly dead right now, unfortunate, I was gonna talk about the amazing fun that is the Dark Souls Debug, since I finally got around to it and goddamn is that shit a hoot.

I'm actually anti-hype about this Spider-Man news. Not because I don't like Spaderman, he's one of the few comic characters I do, but goddammit my friend is not going to shut up about this shit for the next year or two.

Liam repping that (banned game) mediocrity. They should have showed Matt the release trailer since it seemed he didn't know what it was.

I'm excited for marvel getting Spoderman again, they will handle it way better than current day Sony pictures ever could

Nordicus

I only have roughly 150 games so I simply categorize my games to completed, unfinished, untouched, ones I've written recommendations/reviews for, pick-up-and-play titles that have no "ending", and games that will be uninstalled the moment my hard drive space runs low.

Hi

I've been without power until a couple of moments ago.

I now have a powered phone and I'm running Late to work.

What's this about spiderman?

Hey guys, I've been pretty much out of the loop for EVERYTHING these past two days. Anything happen? Only thing I do know is the Spiderman thing.

grimmiq

Wow..start of November in P3..
Knew something was going to happen after the last Shadow, but didn't think it'd be that big. Haven't had any voiced bits with her since it happened, but the way it's written, Aigis' dialog seems less robotic now, hopefully it's reflected in the voice acting. Interesting that both Revolver Jesus and Ikutsuki went out in similar ways, hoping that's not the end of both of them though. My feeling that Pharos will be the big bad seems to be more on the money now than before.

Top Bottom