• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Let it Go. LET IT GO!

He's a jobber and you know it.

NO! I can't accept it! He'll get there someday!
yih6TGX.gif

Skrams

Well, it seems i'll be getting a Wii U soon, in exchange for my 3DS XL. Basically, we're getting tax returns soon, and the unemployment check is a little late. So a couple of minutes ago, my mother came up to me and asked that if she could sell the XL if the check didn't come tomorrow, and she was asking because she didn't want to do it behind my back. I agreed, because we need the money if we don't get the check, I already beat SMT IV, and I only paid 60 dollars for it due to a price error, so it's not like I paid 200 and selling it for 70. In return, she said that when we got our tax returns, she would buy a Wii U. And since I didn't put up any resistance to the idea of selling it, she said even if she didn't have to sell it, she would still buy a Wii U, so that's pretty nice. Of course, since there's a good chance of me getting a job soon due to a friend vouching for me, I won't have to rely on other peoples' money, or having to sell my shit, which will feel great.

Here's a list of games you didn't ask for.

Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Smash 4, ZombiU, Wind Waker HD, NSMB U, NSL U, Captain Toad, Nintendoland, and Hyrule Warriors. There's other stuff I'm probably missing, but I forget.

Also Kirby hits in 16 days or something?

So far I have P4a design works
Art of Evangelion
Okami
Phantasy Star 1 and 2 sort of
and
my brother has
all 3 valkyria chronicles, which are like 500 pages each. It's nuts and
I'm jealous

I have
Fire Emblem Awakening: Knight of Iris
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
999 and Virtue's Last Reward both in one
Atelier: Artworks of Arland: Rorona, Totori, Meruru
I don't know if the Hyrule Historia counts as one
Shakugan no Shana Illustration book
and now I can add Tales of Xillia 2, Disgaea and Okami to the collection
EDIT: Oh there are also the ones you get when you pre order a game or a special edition ones but I don't count those compare to the meaty books

Mathaou

legacy of cane
The Art of Tales of Xillia 2 and Disgaeart, slowly building the books up even through I can't read half of my collection.

Only art books I own are:
Final Fantasy: The Sky
Hyrule Historia
The Art of The Last of Us
Persona 4 Art Works
Gurren Lagann Art Works
Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo

Then I have 3 others that came with stuff, they're kind of like art booklets:
Toradora Art Works
Bravely Default Art Works
Persona 3: The Movie #1 Art Works

I have say, I could listen to the Snatch soundtrack all day. It's so amazing. One of my favorite songs is the Kosha Nostra theme. Speaking of Guy Ritchie movies, did anyone see Rock'N'Rolla? I'm curious what others thought about it.

semisonic

Banned
Only art books I own are:
Final Fantasy: The Sky
Hyrule Historia
The Art of The Last of Us
Persona 4 Art Works
Gurren Lagann Art Works
Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo

Then I have 3 others that came with stuff, they're kind of like art booklets:
Toradora Art Works
Bravely Default Art Works
Persona 3: The Movie #1 Art Works

I have
Fire Emblem Awakening: Knight of Iris
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
999 and Virtue's Last Reward both in one
Atelier: Artworks of Arland: Rorona, Totori, Meruru
I don't know if the Hyrule Historia counts as one
Shakugan no Shana Illustration book
and now I can add Tales of Xillia 2, Disgaea and Okami to the collection

I need to step my game the fuck up

Skrams

I have no art books. Don't really get the appeal personally.

It's just another thing to add to your fandom of a thing. You could get a figure of Kamina doing a cool pose for $500 because it's rare or you could marvel at all this cool art for $30.

I certainly don't own any art books, but I've always wanted to expand into the territory eventually. The only thing stopping me is money and I don't have a good proper bookshelf for it.

I did try to get the FF: The Sky art book once when it was on sale, but it got lost in the mail or something. That bummed me out.

They're super pretty, often contain developer insights, and are a cool
er and cheaper
collectible
than figurines
Second only to OSTs in my useless expenditures

But, I can get all that through interviews and stuff. It's all over wikis and shit.

And cheaper sure, but in no way are they cooler!

It's just another thing to add to your fandom of a thing. You could get a figure of Kamina doing a cool pose for $500 because it's rare or you could marvel at all this cool art for $30.

The way you present it is what makes it unappealing to me. Like, figures, you need a desk, small shelf, any kind of surface and it's there out in the open view for all to see. A book, though, you need a bookshelf and a lot of them are hard to fit on the type I'd fit into my room and even then, they're closed on a shelf and I have to go out of my way to look at it.

And really, you can get an adequately cool figure for $30-50.

Jman014

But, I can get all that through interviews and stuff. It's all over wikis and shit.

And cheaper sure, but in no way are they cooler!

You don't get all the different art and insight from the artists and creators for the Korra books from the wikis. The art books are so ossum. Most if not all are not available to look at anywhere else unless someone that works on the show posted it on the internet, like storyboards and auxillery art to name just a couple types.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
They're super pretty, often contain developer insights, and are a cool
er and cheaper
collectible
than figurines
Second only to OSTs in my useless expenditures

I don't buy many OSTs. I only have:
Metal Gear Rising
Gurren Lagann Best Sound
Kill la Kill OST
Attack on Titan OST
Sakamichi no Apollon OST
P4 OST
P3 Movie #1 OST
Bravely Default OST
Hotline Miami OST
Shovel Knight OST
Wonderful 101 OST
Bayonetta 1 & 2 OST
Double Dragon Neon OST
Dark Souls 1 & 2 OST
Bastion OST
Journey OST
Austin Wintory Journey Piano Arrangement OST
Last of Us OST
Cowboy Bebop OST

I did try to get the FF: The Sky art book once when it was on sale, but it got lost in the mail or something. That bummed me out.

Absolute favorite artbook. Only thing that bummed me out is that it's almost entirely art, and very little commentary.

I have say, I could listen to the Snatch soundtrack all day. It's so amazing. One of my favorite songs is the Kosha Nostra theme. Speaking of Guy Ritchie movies, did anyone see Rock'N'Rolla? I'm curious what others thought about it.

I'm in the minority that prefers rocknrolla over snatch.

But that's because of Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy.

Final confirmation that Chie > Yukiko?

boom.gif

Because she's not their favourite character, whilst she is for a large number of the fandom. If you're looking for a genuine reason, you'll not find it.

Truth be told, the reasons are almost always illogical and childish. It's hardly unique to Persona, but it's definitely exacerbated. What, with the way that the characters are integral to the experience.

And to use myself as an example, I've never been particularly fond of Yukiko. I got the district impression (during my original playthrough), that the narrative was almost forcing her upon me. Contriving situations, in which to have me interact with her. That's not to mention, the fact that I was informed (by the cast) that she was amazing, yet I found her boring. I've resented her presence, ever since. That said, she is a legitimately popular character.

It's an issue of taste!

boTwQ2T.gif

croten

Metal Gear Rising
Gurren Lagann Best Sound
Kill la Kill OST
Attack on Titan OST
Sakamichi no Apollon OST
P4 OST
P3 Movie #1 OST
Bravely Default OST
Hotline Miami OST
Shovel Knight OST
Wonderful 101 OST
Bayonetta 1 & 2 OST
Double Dragon Neon OST
Dark Souls 1 & 2 OST
Bastion OST
Journey OST
Last of Us OST
Cowboy Bebop OST
I have MGR's... that's it...

ultimax

Metal Gear Rising
Gurren Lagann Best Sound
Kill la Kill OST
Attack on Titan OST
Sakamichi no Apollon OST
P4 OST
P3 Movie #1 OST
Bravely Default OST
Hotline Miami OST
Shovel Knight OST
Wonderful 101 OST
Bayonetta 1 & 2 OST
Double Dragon Neon OST
Dark Souls 1 & 2 OST
Bastion OST
Journey OST
Last of Us OST
Cowboy Bebop OST

Well here's one more you need to add to your collection.

Jman014

Metal Gear Rising
Gurren Lagann Best Sound
Kill la Kill OST
Attack on Titan OST
Sakamichi no Apollon OST
P4 OST
P3 Movie #1 OST
Bravely Default OST
Hotline Miami OST
Shovel Knight OST
Wonderful 101 OST
Bayonetta 1 & 2 OST
Double Dragon Neon OST
Dark Souls 1 & 2 OST
Bastion OST
Journey OST
Last of Us OST
Cowboy Bebop OST

The only thing I usually listen to/buy/download are video game OSTs.
I have the ones in bold!

Metal Gear Rising
Gurren Lagann Best Sound
Kill la Kill OST
Attack on Titan OST
Sakamichi no Apollon OST
P4 OST
P3 Movie #1 OST
Bravely Default OST
Hotline Miami OST
Shovel Knight OST
Wonderful 101 OST
Bayonetta 1 & 2 OST
Double Dragon Neon OST
Dark Souls 1 & 2 OST
Bastion OST
Journey OST
Last of Us OST
Cowboy Bebop OST

The only OST that I own is the hotline miami 2 OST. And I got that shit on vinyl

Metal Gear Rising
Gurren Lagann Best Sound
Kill la Kill OST
Attack on Titan OST
Sakamichi no Apollon OST
P4 OST
P3 Movie #1 OST
Bravely Default OST
Hotline Miami OST
Shovel Knight OST
Wonderful 101 OST
Bayonetta 1 & 2 OST
Double Dragon Neon OST
Dark Souls 1 & 2 OST
Bastion OST
Journey OST
Last of Us OST
Cowboy Bebop OST
Absolute favorite artbook. Only thing that bummed me out is that it's almost entirely art, and very little commentary.

I have Hyrule Historia and a Marvel drawing book.

OSTs I have the FF OSTs and now Gurren Lagaan's.

Most OSTs I own are digital due to Humble Bundle. The only one I own physical is Persona 1. I need the game.
Haven't played it. Probs never will. And I'm not even really liking P2's music outside of Mayas theme.

Also, there are really good SMT and Persona piano arrangements out there.
You actually need to play P1 in order to understand what happens in Eternal Punishment. I need to go back and play it.

Skrams

The way you present it is what makes it unappealing to me. Like, figures, you need a desk, small shelf, any kind of surface and it's there out in the open view for all to see. A book, though, you need a bookshelf and a lot of them are hard to fit on the type I'd fit into my room and even then, they're closed on a shelf and I have to go out of my way to look at it.

And really, you can get an adequately cool figure for $30-50.

You can, but for something like Gurren Lagann my mind just jumped straight to Kamina's best pose and that figure is a lot. You can obviously get something cool for much cheaper. I got my Satsuki figure for $30 or so and that's pretty good. It's just some people really like the idea of having a gallery of cool art to look at. It's not as easy to look at like a figure, but it's still cool. I don't think everything a person buys needs to necessarily be something to decorate themselves or a room. It can be something cool on a bookshelf to pull out and look at every now and again. If you want to express your love of thing to everyone that comes into your room then you're not really going get that. It's more reserved and mostly just for yourself most of the time. Some people just like to look at cool art too. Sometimes the cool art is also presented with background information of the show or thing to help give context to the creative process. It can be neat.

Although yeah, if you're like me where the biggest problem is the bookshelf then it makes sense. My bookshelf is wide and short. It's not great for books. It's not really great for anything. It was cheap though.

I'm in the minority that prefers rocknrolla over snatch.

But that's because of Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy.
We're in the same minority. As much as I love Snatch, which has my favorite Guy Ritchie character Avi, mainly because of Dennis Farina, may he rest in peace, Rock'N'Rolla is still my favorite. It's probably because I watched it before any of the others, and because it also had an amazing cast.

Top Bottom