• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

ultimax

It's not officially a franchise yet, but they announced a TV show in the middle of last year so you can bet your fucking ass there's going to be a sequel.

Too bad it was too goddamn late for me to charge back when all this stuff came to light.
Yeah that's pretty gross imo. I feel bad for the backers.

It's not officially a franchise yet, but they announced a TV show in the middle of last year so you can bet your fucking ass there's going to be a sequel.

Too bad it was too goddamn late for me to charge back that all this stuff came to light.
I really don't get what's so bad about that. What's wrong with making a tv show and planning a sequel? I really don't see it.

ultimax

I don't think it being kickstarted is a reason to dislike the franchise announcement. In fact, it makes sense. If MN9 takes off as a franchise, I helped establish it with my backing. If Comcept announces another campaign to fund a franchise entry, then the pitchforks come out.
It still feels dumb and shady to me. The game can suck ass for all we know. It sounds like they're getting a bit too cocky

360pages

He's the director of No. 9 and is the founder and CEO of the company... so I can totally shit on him all I want for stuff regarding No. 9.

Didn't he also head Gunvolt? While not amazing, I think it's good attempt to create a series in the same vein as Megaman Zero/ZX.

Numb

Plus the fact the game had to be kickstarted to even happen

What annoys me is the fact that the game is not out yet. And if they ask for kickstarter money for the sequel which seems super stupid and ignorant.
The banner saga 2 is announced and it started on kickstarter too. They should go that route.

I don't think it being kickstarted is a reason to dislike the franchise announcement. In fact, it makes sense. If MN9 takes off as a franchise, I helped establish it with my backing. If Comcept announces another campaign to fund a franchise entry, then the pitchforks come out.

If MN9 takes off as a franchise, you should be fucking pissed that Inafune holds ALL RIGHTS TO THE IP and it's respective licensing!

I'm not a huge fan of lances because of their tanky moveset, but no, what I mean is Lances are inherently a lot slower walk speed when drawn versus most other weapons, so shielding makes up for the lack of mobility.
Oh I see what your getting at now, I love spears/lances too much to not use them here. Gonna give it a few more tries.

They turned it into a franchise?
That is not cool. Maybe after the game came out
He's pretty much biting off more than he can chew

Alfebit

Banned
AwwwwYissssss! I'm back, baby! Now I can finally get back to shitposting. Shoutouts to Mrgoodwil for pointing me towards this new laptop.

I'm probably late to this, but Spiderman is going to be in a Marvel movie. I swear, if Tobey Maguire isn't under that mask, i'll be so disappointed.

Squishy3

Didn't he also head Gunvolt? While not amazing, I think it's good attempt to create a series in the same vein as Megaman Zero/ZX.
Inafune had nothing to do with Gunvolt, that was entirely Inti Creates.

Eh...why, we aren't really paying or did a lot of the hard stuff. People just payed for a product they wanted see finished.
It's a product that I'm not happy with how it was handled post-funding and they didn't even try to go for an art style similar to the first concept art. The game will likely be good, but I'm extremely upset with the way everything was handled and regret giving them money for it.

I don't give a shit about compensation, I just don't like the direction the project took.

Why? It wasn't offered as a reward tier. Maybe some of the creative tiers have a leg to stand on.

I understand that, but now he's entering the realm of shareholders and public financing.

A "franchise" is not a one time project. It's an IP.

As an IP the people who financed it's creation should be rightfully compensated.

Eh...why, we aren't really paying or did a lot of the hard stuff. People just payed for a product they wanted see finished.

See above. This wasn't a one time project. He's planning to do stuff with your money you may have not agreed to.

Numb

I wish David cage became a succesful hollywood director just to see the Zaibatsu relieved to see that he is gone from gaming and then pissed that people watch his stuff and love it.

And we backed that one time product, not the franchise.

But Inafune is now trying to make it into a franchise, which by all accounts, if he was up front about doing that, should be giving shares to people and not promises.

I find that very unethical to the people that finance MN9.

Squishy3

I'm also still butthurt about the Call vote. CALL E GOT SCREWED FOR FUCKING GENERIC LOOKING ROBOT BULLSHIT

this is so much fucking better than f. e above, f below

latest

latest

I understand that, but now he's entering the realm of shareholders and public financing.
A "franchise" is not a one time project. It's an IP.
As an IP the people who financed it's creation should be rightfully compensated.
See above. This wasn't a one time project. He's planning to do stuff with your money you may have not agreed to.
It's only a real problem if the money backed isn't used to create the actual game, Whatever money was put in was a donation, not a stake.

I think making it into a franchise is stupid, presumptuous, and makes me wonder why they needed to turn to Kickstarter, but it's not like it's a false promise unless they misuse backer money.

360pages

Inafune had nothing to do with Gunvolt, that was entirely Inti Creates.

It's a product that I'm not happy with how it was handled post-funding and they didn't even try to go for an art style similar to the first concept art. The game will likely be good, but I'm extremely upset with the way everything was handled and regret giving them money for it.

I don't give a shit about compensation, I just don't like the direction the project took.

I can understand that, and I legit like the concept art and actually wish it was a 2D HD game like Rayman Legends/Origins. Since I loved the concept art, but that cost a lot more money than 3D models sadly.

Inafune...has been messing up, if he had nothing to do with Gunvolt, then almost all his games he helped with since he left Capcom has been questionable.

If all 4 million went into the game, then it should be fine with me personally. He probably thinks that even if the game doesn't sell well it will pretty much guarantee a profit. But honestly, the game doesn't actually look like 4 million went into it...

Squishy3

I can understand that, and I legit like the concept art and actually wish it was a 2D HD game like Rayman Legends/Origins. Since I loved the concept art, but that cost a lot more money than 3D models sadly.

Inafune...has been messing up, if he had nothing to do with Gunvolt, then almost all his games he helped with since he left Capcom has been questionable.

If all 4 million went into the game, then it should be fine with me personally. He probably thinks that even if the game doesn't sell well it will pretty much guarantee a profit. But honestly, the game doesn't actually look like 4 million went into it...
I'm sure all the money went into the game, and the game will likely be good, and I will play it, I just don't like Inafune.

Twitter_PG_kamiya_He_s_a_business_man_Not_a.png

didn't even fucking try to go for this fucking artstyle god dammit WHEN IT'S TOTALLY FUCKING POSSIBLE FUCKING XRD IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND IT'S ON THE SAME FUCKING ENGINE

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

But Inafune is now trying to make it into a franchise, which by all accounts, if he was up front about doing that, should be giving shares to people and not promises.

I find that very unethical to the people that finance MN9.
But that's not how it works. From what I understand, kickstarter acts more like donations than investments, and you don't get shares for donations.

I think making it into a franchise is stupid, presumptuous, and makes me wonder why they needed to turn to Kickstarter, but it's not like it's a false promise unless they misuse backer money.

It is if you're not getting the best effort out of said project.

You saw the stills. MN9 looks shitty. Granted, the gameplay in motion looks better than the stills, but it doesn't look like what $4 MM should get you, unless the business market in much different in reality than anticipated.

But that's not how it works. From what I understand, kickstarter acts more like donations than investments, and you don't get shares for donations.

Yes I know. Patronage.
But he's still in a business endeavor using backer money to try and capitalize off of more than he's being asked.

Squishy3

You saw the stills. MN9 looks shitty. Granted, the gameplay in motion looks better than the stills, but it doesn't look like what $4 MM should get you, unless the business market in much different in reality than anticipated.
The problem is they didn't even try to go for something even remotely similar to it in UE3. It's all artstyle, and they didn't try to go for that artstyle in the actual game.

Not meeting the concept art is the worst part, and makes it actually seem shitty like they misused all that money for other shit. That said, even so it's just something to be mad about, not something I can actually legally be mad about. Morally? Eh, yeah. Pretty fucking shitty to probably misuse backer money.
That was a good day to be a Call F fan. Deal with it, nerds.
Get good robit grill taste.

360pages

I'm sure all the money went into the game, and the game will likely be good, and I will play it, I just don't like Inafune.

Twitter_PG_kamiya_He_s_a_business_man_Not_a.png

didn't even fucking try to go for this fucking artstyle god dammit WHEN IT'S TOTALLY FUCKING POSSIBLE FUCKING XRD IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND IT'S ON THE SAME FUCKING ENGINE

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

I agree, they completely didn't even care about keeping the artstyle from the concept. And from the looks of it, the game doesn't seem that much above the recent Strider game in terms of presentation.

I will say that I don't know too much about making games, but it really doesn't look like 4 million went into making the game honestly...Even if a million was spent on spreading it around to different systems.

But backers didn't give money to an idea, and that idea remains with Comcept. Every other game, book, film, show and whatever idea remains with the creator and if the success of that idea is proven, the creator can pursue franchise options without the original supporters. Comcept is being arrogant with it's franchise announcement, but backers aren't investors.

I'm also still butthurt about the Call vote. CALL E GOT SCREWED FOR FUCKING GENERIC MIKU LOOKING ROBOT BULLSHIT

Proof you can't trust public opinion on anything.

The problem is they didn't even try to go for something even remotely similar to it in UE3. It's all artstyle, and they didn't try to go for that artstyle in the actual game.

I don't buy any hype in tech demos and shit like that.

It's nearly always different from the final product.

Not that it's right to bait and switch people like that, but it happens.

Top Bottom