• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Ilvocare

Oh good you figured it out. Also he's talking about the 3D movies, he specified Disney from the last 10 years.

Ah. Still think it's extreme of him to discount all their work, but I can see how someone would be disgusted by the direction. Honestly how many Disney princesses do we REALLY need, anyways?
Wreck-It Ralph is great the whole way through, don't care what anyone says, man.

Do we even know if that story is a troll or not?

If you read up on VGPerson's afternotes, I think it confirms that, even though the person who wrote it was never identified, that there was INDEED stalker bullshit that occurred, and that it was most likely the same person.

ultimax

If you read up on VGPerson's afternotes, I think it confirms that, even though the person who wrote it was never identified, that there was INDEED stalker bullshit that occurred, and that it was most likely the same person.
Man, thats terrible.
So I decided that I haven't ruined my life hard enough. If I have an Android phone can I partake in some sticky sweet honey Live crack?

I think so. JOIN US.

Ah. Still think it's extreme of him to discount all their work, but I can see how someone would be disgusted by the direction. Honestly how many Disney princesses do we REALLY need, anyways?
Wreck-It Ralph is great the whole way through, don't care what anyone says, man.
I just wanted to see more video game worlds, Sarah Silverman was not as annoying as many people claimed she was to me but they spent way too much time in her Mario Kart world, IMO.
I still liked the movie though

The movie drops
changing and exploring lots of game settings for something that barely resembles a videogame premise, and seem to make more candy jokes than anything, while introducing the side character I didn't really care for. It's not awful, I just got overhyped in the first third.

Speaking of Disney, is Big Hero 6 any good? Hairy baby!
I heard it was great from a couple people who were into comics but it has laughably bad almost 4kids level localization style changes. The story takes place in San Frantokyo in America and they said it's like they try to remove as many references to Japan as possible, which is really weird to me

Skrams

A lot of people put a lot of value in what inspired things, and while I see why, I personally don't. I don't give a fuck what inspired the thing I like, I like the thing, not the other thing. The things I like are the things I like! Not the things I don't!

Oh, no no no, the movies has nothing to do with Anime. I don't like anime movies either. Madoka is like, my third favorite series and I still haven't watched the third movie because I just don't like that format for stories.

I also like a few of the older Disney movies from being a kid, though the only one I think holds up even remotely well is Aladdin.

I always think the handwave away of opinions is a lame excuse. I'd at least try to appreciate the old thing. I'd like to see the threads connecting it to new thing that might be better or not.

Also movies are just four or five episodes of a thing, but without shitty, obvious commercial break cuts. I get it for when a series like Madoka with twelve 24 minute episodes has a movie. It feels a bit out of place with the rhythm set by the rest. Hating something simple like a Back to the Future though because it's a movie? It's a little irrational. Like a Pat. It sounds like someone saying they hated books until the Kindle happened because they hate turning pages.

Ilvocare

The movie drops
changing and exploring lots of game settings for something that barely resembles a videogame premise, and seem to make more candy jokes than anything, while introducing the side character I didn't really care for. It's not awful, I just got overhyped in the first third.

I agree that it shouldn't really have focused on Vanellope that much, but there was so much non-candy shit happening in the sidelines that I couldn't bring myself to get angry. And that climax scene...

Actual spoilers for the ending of Wreck-It Ralph

Also movies are just four or five episodes of a thing, but without shitty, obvious commercial break cuts. I get it for when a series like Madoka with twelve 24 minute episodes has a movie. It feels a bit out of place with the rhythm set by the rest. Watching something simple like a Back to the Future though because it's a movie? It's a little irrational. Like a Pat. It sounds like someone saying they hated books until the Kindle happened because they hate turning pages.
Movies generally have to set up and end within a few hours, so they're generally inherently limited to a short story format.

I always think the handwave away of opinions is a lame excuse. I'd at least try to appreciate the old thing. I'd like to see the threads connecting it to new thing that might be better or not.

Also movies are just four or five episodes of a thing, but without shitty, obvious commercial break cuts. I get it for when a series like Madoka with twelve 24 minute episodes has a movie. It feels a bit out of place with the rhythm set by the rest. Watching something simple like a Back to the Future though because it's a movie? It's a little irrational. Like a Pat. It sounds like someone saying they hated books until the Kindle happened because they hate turning pages.

If I really like the thing inspired by it, I'll be more likely to check it out for sure, since I'd love to see the connections. But people constantly use the inspiration as an example of why it's something I should like when I don't. Simply inspiring something I do like isn't going to make me like something that I don't out of nowhere.

I just like the longer form story telling of series or books. Movie pacing feels too rushed and I can't care about a character after 2 hours. As a result of that strict 2 hour time limit, the formula and structure is far more predictable for me, since I know the way they flow and there's less time for changes and nuance. I also don't like being forced to sit and watch something for a set several hour period. I like the freedom of being able to stop something every 20-40 minutes and come back later. Same with books.

It's not entirely rational but it's also not entirely irrational. I don't hate all movies, the ones I like I like quite a bit, but over all I personally prefer not watching movies compared to other forms of media.

360pages

The only reason I list Movies on the bottom of my media pool is probably my attention span. Even Anime movies have trouble keeping me unless it's something I really like. Like Aaron I like the freedom of being able to stop after 30min, even if I marathon a series I know I'm committing to an hour long Episode at most.

That being said, I don't think movies are bad in anyway, though I prefer movies attached to a series or it being a movie series rather than a stand alone film. And I will still watch a movie if it interest me. I can't completely shut out a whole media's worth of content.

Ilvocare

Ok, so I fucking found the hole. The hole called "Love Live! School Idol Project".

Are the microtransactions the game is talking about purely "game currency" based? Or are there characters and expansions locked behind paywalls? Because I've done some SHIT f2p games in the past and my tolerance can only hold so much...

demidar

The only reason I list Movies on the bottom of my media pool is probably my attention span. Even Anime movies have trouble keeping me unless it's something I really like. Like Aaron I like the freedom of being able to stop after 30min, even if I marathon a series I know I'm committing to an hour long Episode at most.

That being said, I don't think movies are bad in anyway, though I prefer movies attached to a series or it being a movie series rather than a stand alone film

I have the same sort of problem, except for books.

That being said, I don't think movies are bad in anyway, though I prefer movies attached to a series or it being a movie series rather than a stand alone film

I don't think movies are bad, I just don't like the format and as a result very few of the things I hold near and dear are movies.

It's time for BLADE RUNNER MOTHERFUCKERS

gnite man

I can watch Bladerunner over and over again.

Incredible film and each version of it is almost wildly different from the last, I remember seeing the Final Cut after only seeing the Theatrical and holy shit... what a difference. I have the Blu Ray set that has like all 5 versions of Bladerunner on it, still need to watch the Workprint cut of the film, it's supposedly even better than The Final Cut.

Ok, so I fucking found the hole. The hole called "Love Live! School Idol Project".

Are the microtransactions the game is talking about purely "game currency" based? Or are there characters and expansions locked behind paywalls? Because I've done some SHIT f2p games in the past and my tolerance can only hold so much...
You get love gems. Love gems can be used to refill an energy bar that let's you play songs, or increments of 5 can be used to get rarer CCG cards/characters.

You can get plenty of gems from playing the game.

Zenfalcia

Have fun. It's the type of microtransactions that only speeds up the process compared to the free way of playing it. It also has an energy meter, which isn't too great.

So I'm watching Rocky right. A movie I've refused to see for like 10 years out of spite. 10 minutes in and I'm like oh my god Ippo is such a fucking riiippp offff hooly SHIIIT

Just found out that I bombed the exam that I thought I did well on.

God fucking dammit.

I am going on a GAF break

Damn, sorry man. Good luck on the makeup or whatever it is your school does.

So I'm watching Rocky right. A movie I've refused to see for like 10 years out of spite. 10 minutes in and I'm like oh my god Ippo is such a fucking riiippp offff hooly SHIIIT

Isn't there an episode early on that's name directly references Rocky?

Top Bottom