• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Pat you should watch Welcome to the NHK. Its pretty short, less than 30 episodes, and its plot is interesting heres the wikipedia summary.
Welcome to the N.H.K. revolves around the lives of several young-adults all living in or around the city of Tokyo. Many different lifestyles are shown though most of the time the story focuses on the concepts of being ahikikomori, anime otaku, and having most of the characters experience intense feelings of depression and loneliness.

The main protagonist is Tatsuhiro Satō, a university dropout entering his fourth year of unemployment. He leads a reclusive life as a hikikomori, ultimately coming to the conclusion that this happened due to some sort of conspiracy. One day just when his life seems entirely unchanging, he meets Misaki Nakahara, a mysterious girl who claims to be able to cure Tatsuhiro of his hikikomori ways. She presents him with a contract basically outlining that once a day they would meet in the evening in a local park where Misaki would lecture to Tatsuhiro in an effort to rid him of his lifestyle. During these outings, many subjects are discussed, though they almost always pertain in some way to psychology orpsychoanalysis. One of their first meetings in fact deals with interpreting Tatsuhiro's recent dreams. Both Tatsuhiro and Misaki, however, have a tendency of over-doing things, such as hiding the truth, especially from each other and themselves. Despite Misaki's offer and pressing attempts at salvation, it is Tatsuhiro's neighbor and high school friend, Kaoru Yamazaki, whom Tatsuhiro often turns to in moments of need and support. Despite his own idiosyncrasies, Yamazaki is one of the more stable characters in the story.

The plots within the novel, manga and anime are each rather different from one another, and many themes and personalities differ between each. The novel also regularly mentions drug use by the main character, and later, his friend, Yamazaki. This element of the story is downplayed in the manga (drugs Satō uses are referred to as "legal psychedelics purchased off the internet"), and left out of the story altogether in the anime (with the exception of Hitomi). This is likely due to several reasons, including a more public-friendly rating, as well as ultimately being unneeded for the progression of the plot. Lolita themes present within the novel and manga have also been downplayed within the anime, where most of the women the characters lust after are of mature age, although brief hints still remain.

Man its not even fair to mention HxH in an argument about anything tho, its the greatest adaptation of a shounen series ever.

Also yeah totally do not click that above link if you havent watched HxH its like the climax of an arc that's half the series in length

That entire episode and episode 116 are like the best shit ever. 116 is probably my favorite episode of anything anime in I can't even remember how long and all they do is stand there and talk for 20 minutes.

Pat you should watch Welcome to the NHK. Its pretty short, less than 30 episodes, and its plot is interesting heres the wikipedia summary.

God, NHK is one of the greatest of all time. Though, I think how good it is depends largely on how much of a piece of shit you either are or were at some point in your life. Kinda like WataMote.

I can forgive them when they give me fucking god tier moments like this.

Huge Hunter x Hunter spoilers in that though for anyone ever interested in watching that series.

The worst thing about the One Piece anime is the pacing. Pat, if you're still here and you ever plan to get back into catching up with One Piece I want you to know that the pacing in the anime eventually gets real bad. It's a true shame.
O0adam.gif

now I have to watch HXH like tommorow.

Nordicus

I swear to god DBZ looks better than One Piece.... so they're actually getting worse as time goes on!
I don't know about that, if we're comparing new DBZ. I really, really dislike the shiny look of the characters nowadays that started popping up during GT and just got worse as time went on. DBZ Kai tries to patchwork edits into some older episodes, and the difference is always obvious.

I think the super high parts of One Piece, like the arc ender moves, look better than anything in DBZ, but it's ridiculous when there's more animation in Goku and Piccolo driving cars than there was in serious fights in OP.

Well, specifically, I mean Cell Saga DBZ when I say dbz looks better.
tumblr_lubdjyBtce1r1mi29o1_500.gif

It could be a bit of nostalgia, but the 17 vs Piccolo fight still looks way hyper than any fight in one piece to me, have to say.

Edit: It should be noted, when I say it looks, I'm specifically talking about how cool the fight scenes look, not art style or anything else. I think GT for instance has some of the best looking fights in the series, art style or no.

I don't know about that, if we're comparing new DBZ. I really, really dislike the shiny look of the characters nowadays that started popping up during GT and just got worse as time went on. DBZ Kai tries to patchwork edits into some older episodes, and the difference is always obvious.

I swear to god DBZ looks better than One Piece.... so they're actually getting worse as time goes on!
STOP TALKIN TO YOURSELF TAKAMURA!

Well, specifically, I mean Cell Saga DBZ when I say dbz looks better.
It could be a bit of nostalgia, but the 17 vs Piccolo fight still looks way hyper than any fight in one piece to me, have to say.

I wasn't talking about stuff like hype, more actual animation quality, like fluidity, direction and key frames. Hype just comes down to taste.

I wasn't talking about stuff like hype, more actual animation quality, like fluidity, direction and key frames. Hype just comes down to taste.

That's actually what I meant by 'hype'. I mean, we're frienders, hype is the go to word of aproval... If we're talking just hype hype, One piece is a lot hyper than DBZ in the fight department... the fights just don't look as cool, is all... imo.

STOP TALKIN TO YOURSELF TAKAMURA!

Embrace your inner dursty roll and JOIN US!

rolling-rolling.gif

Randy42

That entire episode and episode 116 are like the best shit ever. 116 is probably my favorite episode of anything anime in I can't even remember how long and all they do is stand there and talk for 20 minutes.

Yeah there's a few key eps in that arc that are just fantastic. It's a shame some people won't try it cause they don't like the art :/

Tossed in Majora's with my MH4U order but it says estimated shipping not available while MH4U says it'll be here Friday and they're in the same shipment. This should be interesting.

IS THAT REAL?

Lol what is it with Japan and their obsession with giant penises.

Ahh, don't worry about it, the scale in that pic is off in many ways.

I'll right I'm kicking off to bed too, frienders. G'night, loosers!
My god Alex better sound like he does in 3rd Strike when they put him in SF5 or I'm going to be pissed. Such a cool voice~

Randy42

Yeah the later one piece movies have been good since Oda got involved. However the first few like 2/3 of them are trash. iirc 4 and 6 I think were the good ones but its been a long time since I watched them so I could be mis remembering

Yeah the later one piece movies have been good since Oda got involved. However the first few like 2/3 of them are trash. iirc 4 and 6 I think were the good ones but its been a long time since I watched them so I could be mis remembering

Movie's 4 and 6 are pretty solid. Movie 9 is a nice alternate reality retelling of Drum Island as well.

Movie 10 (Strong World) is a fun adventure movie and Film Z (Movie 11) is a really good story about the Marines.

I personally think Strong World is the only one worth watching due to its canonicity. Z is... eh, take it or leave it.

Holy shit is that Parasyte? God that looks different.

I personally think Strong World is the only one worth watching due to its canonicity. Z is... eh, take it or leave it.

Holy shit is that Parasyte? God that looks different.

I personally think Z is the better movie. I don't need something be canon to enjoy it. The first Broly movie is a good example.

And yeah, Parasyte is a real old manga.

Nordicus

Adapting old manga is funny, even more so when the artist's style change throughout the series

Just look at Mashiba's old appearance in Ippo chapter 15, and the new appearance he had by the time anime started. Takamura had already faced Hawk by that time

....Okay cancelled my Majora's Mask pre-order from Amazon. Same dealer I got MH4U from.

MH4U estimated delivery - February 13th.

Majora's Mask estimated delivery - March 30th.

THE FUCK IS THAT!?

Randy42

Old manga like Parasyte getting new adaptations gives me hope that one day some series that got skipped over like Biscuit Hammer might get animes. But who knows.

Okingjrr

....Okay cancelled my Majora's Mask pre-order from Amazon. Same dealer I got MH4U from.

MH4U estimated delivery - February 13th.

Majora's Mask estimated delivery - March 30th.

THE FUCK IS THAT!?
That's hilarious.
Amazon.com continues to amaze me with delivery estimations. Whereas amazon fr is the most legit thing I've ever used. One day deliveries are respected all the time, well, most of the time.

Found a Limited Edition Majora's Mask n3DS XL going for 240 online. Deal seemed too good to be true, googled the seller and things check out. Getting on that shit right now.

Looking forward to hunting some monsters with y'all in the near future.

That's hilarious.
Amazon.com continues to amaze me with delivery estimations. Whereas amazon fr is the most legit thing I've ever used. One day deliveries are respected all the time, well, most of the time.

"Your package will arrive between January 10 and March 19." What the fuck kind of delivery estimate is this shit Amazon?! That's bullshit and you know it! You'd have been better off not giving me any estimate at all!

Waking up late on assessment day and just barely making it before I get a referral, what a start to a day.
Looks like 2 more people were Shackzamalised
Added the love live friend codes. Here mine if anyone else wants to add: 267915764
Adapting old manga is funny, even more so when the artist's style change throughout the series

Just look at Mashiba's old appearance in Ippo chapter 15, and the new appearance he had by the time anime started. Takamura had already faced Hawk by that time
That was Mashiba back in early Ippo?!

Okingjrr

"Your package will arrive between January 10 and March 19." What the fuck kind of delivery estimate is this shit Amazon?! That's bullshit and you know it! You'd have been better off not giving me any estimate at all!
Then again external sellers are the ones who offer those kinds of estimates. I usually shy away from them and stick to Amazon as the seller.
I refuse to have to wait for anything for over a week. I need that shit now!

demidar

Then again external sellers are the ones who offer those kinds of estimates. I usually shy away from them and stick to Amazon as the seller.

Yeah, I've had bad experiences with external fulfillment. It involved importing a new 3DS only to find out it was used, and losing money sending it back to get a refund because I had to pay a "Dangerous Goods" fee.

Basically fuck them.

Nordicus

Yup, that was Mashiba. His design sloooooowly morphed throughout the series.

This is what he looks like while fighting Miyata in chapter 67. You can already see his design get slightly taller and thinner, and his hair growing a little bit

But Amazon doesn't sell my creepy anime bullshit! How will I get my hentai tank tops if I don't buy from external sellers? At least with Amazon there's some amount of security, unlike with my fucking Bullet Club shirt.

Yup, that was Mashiba. His design sloooooowly morphed throughout the series.

This is what he looks like while fighting Miyata in chapter 67. You can already see his design get slightly taller and thinner, and his hair growing a little bit
So when does become the anime Mashiba? This is interesting knowledge, any other characters get a transformation like that?

Rizzi

I rarely buy things online because I can't stand waiting for something I bought. I'd rather buy whatever in person and just get it straight away.

I rarely buy things online because I can't stand waiting for something I bought. I'd rather buy whatever in person and just get it straight away.

I'm the same way. I can't stand ordering things online since I have absolutely no patience. I bought one game from Amazon and it took two months to get here, despite being in stock, being fulfilled by amazon and me selecting two day shipping. I only ever order things if there's absolutely no way for me to get it in person. Mostly anime merch, though. Or clothes, since you can get great deals on clothes on Amazon and they ship to you relatively quick.

Wow, it seems I can get a n3DS for €75 if I trade in my old 3DS.
Worth it?

I don't have a single goddamn clue about what that exchange rate would be for US dollars, but it sounds good to me. I for one cannot stand the idea of having a piece of hardware if there's a better version out that. It's the reason I own like 4 PSPs.

I unironically love the PSP Go.

$85 approximately. Problem is, what the hell am I going to play on it? I only have MM and FE on my mind as games I'm still going to play, nothing else.

Haha, yeah. Four is a lot though. What are you using four for?

Eh, that's really a value only you can decide. Personally I'd do it, but if you're only gonna play a couple games that don't really necessitate it, then it's probably no worth it for you.

I have a problem. It took all of my power not to buy another Vita when the slim came out. But poverty helped.

Nordicus

So when does become the anime Mashiba? This is interesting knowledge, any other characters get a transformation like that?
Hmm, well, when Ippo fights him, by chapter 85 his general facial features are close to what Mashiba is now, with hair covering his eyes a bit, and in 172 after Vorg's match when he interrupts Ippo and Kumi, he has the scary expressions we expect from him. Only thing missing is his long mullet, which he gets by the time he has to face Kimura in chapter 270ish
I don't know anyone else who changed quite this much, only Mashiba stuck out to me when I started reading the manga after finishing Rising. Morikawa generally drew the characters to be more round and stubby early on. Everyone was Pat, and Mashiba is anything but

Top Bottom