• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

semisonic

Banned
Super is really really different, but it's a fine game. I want a normal Paper Mario again, but Super's not bad at all.

Sticker Star is the bad game.

I... Didn't hate sticker star.
Yes the mechanics were bad and everything, but I still found the game really charming overall. Boo's haunted manor was the best level by far, especially with that fucking cool disco room. Still didn't beat it, tho.

It's a shame that game sucks though

189.gif

Still on the verge of death, but fine otherwise.
Closing in on preyy~...RULES OF NATURE!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

People suck..it's a big reason why I'm single and have no friends near where I live.
Even an hour is really pushing it, in fact most people don't even deserve to be acknowledged, takes too much energy that I could be using on other things.
I usually just tune people out, but it's like radiation..you can't be exposed to it for too long.

Yes the mechanics were bad and everything, but I still found the game really charming overall. Boo's haunted manor was the best level by far, especially with that fucking cool disco room. Still didn't beat it, tho.
All the charm is frontloaded and tapers off. I also agree with Liam that the "Paper" aspect is overdone in terms of the game world itself.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Good game, but just not an RPG like the rest of the series. People who wanted more good Paper Mario RPGs really got the shitty end of the stick for the past 10 years though.

Not having played either, in what way is Paper Mario a successor to Super Mario RPG?

Good game, but just not an RPG like the rest of the series. People who wanted more good Paper Mario RPGs really got the shitty end of the stick for the past 10 years though.

The majority of the Mario and Luigi games came out within the last 10 years. And they're just as charming as the Paper Mario games.

Why isnt this screenshot in 1080p? I can barely read the text, the character models are all racist/sexist. What a terrible game it's not even 60FPS it's trash I'll never play this.

You joke but the 480p shit was never the biggest problem with the Wii. It was that whatever hardware the system used for video output was complete garbage. The PS2 and Gamecube both had way higher quality output over component cables.

Xiraiya

I usually just tune people out, but it's like radiation..you can't be exposed to it for too long.

It helps when people come over to my house and stuff, it's pretty easy to just ignore them or not go out of your way to greet them.

Some say that's rude, rude would be telling them to fuck off, I'm just being comfortable in my own home.

Ilvocare

All the charm is frontloaded and tapers off. I also agree with Liam that the "Paper" aspect is overdone in terms of the game world itself.

I'm of the opinion, after having seen a Let's Play of it, that the game is a massive waste of potential with giant missteps in the basic appreciation of risk/reward mechanics.

That shit was rough to watch since this guy not only ended up being an apologist for the game, but he was ALSO doing an LP of Other M at the same time which he was ALSO acting as an apologist for.

It helps when people come over to my house and stuff, it's pretty easy to just ignore them or not go out of your way to greet them.

Some say that's rude, rude would be telling them to fuck off, I'm just being comfortable in my own home.

My family thinks I'm insane because I would rather just buy everything on Amazon then have to go out and deal with people.

I don't get to the point of cussing people out until I'm at my absolute limit, normally I'm just silent and don't talk to anyone.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
You joke but the 480p shit was never the biggest problem with the Wii. It was that whatever hardware the system used for video output was complete garbage. The PS2 and Gamecube both had way higher quality output over component cables.

I remember being really surprised with how good Xenoblade Chronicles looked. That grass was fucking amazing for the Wii.

Hm. I'd need to see some Twilight Princess comparisons. Buying component cables separately meant most people probably didn't bother.

Same type of setup (collect stars from bosses), same basic turn based mechanics (action commands), mute Mario in a world of interesting dialogue and charming characters.

Yes.
Well, I won't be playing it for a while, then. My six year old cousin had his XL broken by his aunt's dog while he was visiting her, so I lent him mine until he gets a new one.

Xiraiya

My family thinks I'm insane because I would rather just buy everything on Amazon then have to go out and deal with people.

Well to be fair, plenty of people disguise their fear of social interaction with indifference, so it's easy to disbelieve a person when they say they don't really want to be around people or deal with people because they most likely actually do, even if they don't admit it.

Ilvocare

Not having played either, in what way is Paper Mario a successor to Super Mario RPG?

Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario are both consider spiritual sequels, with continued use of action commands and a similar tone of story-telling.

I do believe that if you manage to hack your way into the original PM's debug room, the floor literally has "Super Mario RPG 2" written on it. Of note is that Paper Mario's original name was SMRPG2 before Square said "no you can't use that WE own that".

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Even an hour is really pushing it, in fact most people don't even deserve to be acknowledged, takes too much energy that I could be using on other things.

I see why you two like each other.

I really enjoy spending time alone, and my friends get really upset when they find out I'm not hanging out with them to play video games/ watch anime. I feel like people 4 times a week would be just the right amount.

Well to be fair, plenty of people disguise their fear of social interaction with indifference, so it's easy to disbelieve a person when they say they don't really want to be around people or deal with people because they most likely actually do, even if they don't admit it.

In certain situations I am afraid of social interaction, but more often then not I just don't want to be around anyone. I don't have the emotional capacity for it.

If I found someone who would not get on my nerves after about 20 minutes, fantastic, but that probably won't happen..at least any time soon.

Xiraiya

I see why you two like each other.
That's quite the understatement, maybe in the first 5 seconds of interacting for the first time
Though I found out later she had taken an interest in me and had devious ambitions well before we talked.

The number of things we have in common is far too high to count, at this point we're just merging into a single person.

Jman014

Crystal Maiden's new arcana comes with a cute wolf puppy that follows you around?! THAT'S ADORABLE! Auroras have potential, missus bull.

semisonic

Banned
That's quite the understatement, maybe in the first 5 seconds of interacting for the first time
Though I found out later she had taken an interest in me and had devious ambitions well before we talked.

The number of things we have in common at this point is far too high to count, at this point we're just merging into a single person.

gurren-lagann-gattai-o.gif

Mathaou

legacy of cane

The number of things we have in common is far too high to count, at this point we're just merging into a single person.
Damn. I'm happy you two found each other. You guys are really lucky.

Anung

Un Rama
Fuck, I need Colonial Marines footage for a video but I really really don't want to have to buy/play/deal with it in any form.

Tako

You're a lucky guy there Xiraiya.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Mario RPG has been pretty good so far, but honestly I feel like it's really overrated. It's buddies with FF6 and CT and it easily loses out on those games.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I've heard it lauded within the context of FF6 and CT, which I find are kind of in a tier of their own. I think Mario RPG gets a lot of bonus points for being a dream collaborative effort and having unique mechanics like the action timing.

No. Just replay it. You know you wanna.
No but homework and Personers though
Mario RPG has been pretty good so far, but honestly I feel like it's really overrated. It's buddies with FF6 and CT and it easily loses out on those games.
It's pretty much mostly because of it's age. It's still a good game, but the fact that there have been other games of it's kind since then with way better formulas just hurt it.

Anung

Un Rama
so don't do it, is it that important to the video?

Kind of. Its a video about Alien Isolation and I'm using CM to make a point. I might just stick in a "Imagine Aliens: Colonial Marines footage here because I sure as hell ain't playing it" or something to cut a corner.

semisonic

Banned
OKAY
after I write my one page double spaced
lol
philosophy paper, I'm going to start p3.
Gonna get through that opening by mashing x with my elbow while I play radiant historia
Best decision

Top Bottom