• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Dis scott pilgrim shit
The first thing I thought was literally "Holy shit Japanese Paul Robertson"
Really tho?
PBBG has been on xbox live arcade since like 2009
It's neither new nor particularly hot
I knew the name sounded familiar, I just wasn't sure if the Best Friends had talked about it or I heard about it else where
Phantom Breaker BG is legit. it's a great game. I own it on Vita and X360
IT'S ON VITA? I need to figure out where I want this in the future
I'm so glad these are a thing
If there's one kind of game I just can't get into, it's bullet hell. I can even play racing games, despite not particularly enjoying them (It's funny, I know people who love them and adore cars, but whenever they get me to play their racing game and start talking about cars and customizations, I just say "no, just pick the thing and let me race", which just ever so slightly bothers them), but I just don't like bullet hells.
Exception is Ikaruga.
Bullet hells and shmups aren't the same thing btw. I wouldn't really call Ikaruga a bullet hell game.

Xiraiya

And that's Arcanum? Sounds pretty good. I can appreciate high depth in my gameplay mechanics. Figuring things out on your own and improving through planning, understanding and customization is something that "putting +1 into shooting" just can't compare against.

Arcanum is made by Troika, so it comes from the original fallout guys, 1800's setting with a touch of steampunk and fantasy thrown onto it, the characters and writing in that game are really good, the story is relatively cookie cutter in parts but the individual places you visit and the characters you meet are awesome.

For example there was this one quest where you need to get information about an item, so you go see these guys, and depending on the party members you have might change how this encounter goes, you can talk it out like gentleman with enough persuasiveness and be on your way.

Or, a certain party member might interrupt the conversation and be like "Fuck this and fuck you we need to kill these guys now" and at that point you can either let him attack and get wrecked and die, and continue your talk, or help him and kill everyone in the room, well at that point what do you do about your information? If you're a shady fucking necromancer you just raise their spirits from their corpses and force them to tell you everything you wish to know.

It's a bizarre and fantastic game.

Bullet hells and shmups aren't the same thing btw. I wouldn't really call Ikaruga a bullet hell game.
It technically still is one, along with Radiant Silvergun. Just because you can absorb certain shots doesn't dismiss the fact that the hitboxes are smaller than they appear and grazing them is an important mechanic.

Skrams

If there's one kind of game I just can't get into, it's bullet hell. I can even play racing games, despite not particularly enjoying them (It's funny, I know people who love them and adore cars, but whenever they get me to play their racing game and start talking about cars and customizations, I just say "no, just pick the thing and let me race", which just ever so slightly bothers them), but I just don't like bullet hells.
Exception is Ikaruga.

I can play a bullet hell or shmup fine. It's just the thing of people setting personal goals of 1CCing a game is always kind of nothing to me. I'll play through the game once because they're usually very short, but going for a 1CC is just one of those things I don't feel like working towards.

Speaking of genres that you can't get into, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get into RTS or heavy strategy games on PC. I find RTS scary for their time constraints and I've always just gone with a turtle method. I'd have to learn to be a manly man to play them not horribly. Also I find heavy strategy games super time consuming and also scary due to the possible easy ability to fuck up everything.

Yeah, I really like Shumps but never got into Bullet Hell. It's enjoyable to get a pattern down and avoid it, but the room for error on execution is punishing as fuck.
Shmups are super fun since they'll have a bunch of different modifiers and such. Variety in weapons always pulls you in
It technically still is one, along with Radiant Silvergun. Just because you can absorb certain shots doesn't dismiss the fact that the hitboxes are smaller than they appear and grazing them is an important mechanic.
I can see that, I guess I was just thinking about it in the traditional sense of "Avoid everything or bomb or die"

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love shmups. One of my favorite genres. It's just so satisfying to take down a boss without getting hit or to get further on one credit than you've ever gotten before or to beat your old high score. Love it.

I just had this brought up to me. Apparently, I never call anyone by their names. I always go hey man instead of hey John, for example. I tried to start calling people by their names, but it sounds really forced and awkward. Is this a problem?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can see that, I guess I was just thinking about it in the traditional sense of "Avoid everything or bomb or die"

I would do so much better at shmups if I were better at recognizing when I need to bomb to stay alive. Every time I lose a life with bomb stock remaining I get a little pissed. :lol

Speaking of genres that you can't get into, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get into RTS or heavy strategy games on PC. I find RTS scary for their time constraints and I've always just gone with a turtle method. I'd have to learn to be a manly man to play them not horribly. Also I find heavy strategy games super time consuming and also scary due to the possible easy ability to fuck up everything.
I've never even seen an RTS, let alone touch one, besides League or Dooter I guess, if you want them to be Action RTS.

Xiraiya

That actually sounds really good. I'll look into it when I have a bit more free time and once I'm through my initial backlog.

It's definitely worth a look, it has an unofficial patch and stuff, but I don't remember the vanilla version being particularly buggy.

The ways you can play your character though are pretty fun, being a suave suit wearing businessman with a silver tongue and is a total asshole, a viable way to play that game as you can just talk plenty of people into joining your party and fighting for you.

This Elgato is fucking frustrating. I keep getting a black screen whenever I try to start streaming with this thing to test it out and it won't come back unless I keep the Elgato software open but when it's open I can't stream it because it says it's already in use.

Gamer Y

I just had this brought up to me. Apparently, I never call anyone by their names. I always go hey man instead of hey John, for example. I tried to start calling people by their names, but it sounds really forced and awkward. Is this a problem?
Not really, I have nicknames for most of the people I talk, it really does feel awkward to them by name. You are not alone in this.

Can't get into fighting games, they're too boring

I've never even seen an RTS, let alone touch one, besides League or Dooter I guess, if you want them to be Action RTS.

congrats

Hellenicphalanx.JPG

Skrams

I have the same problem a little bit. I get called out by name at times and don't really return the favor if I speak to a person. It feels a little weird to me since it sounds too formal to me. It just feels like one of those things I never really got into the pattern of so now it feels weird whenever I try to do it. I also have this problem when people ask me how I'm doing. I respond with "Alright," but don't really return the favor by asking them. I have to force myself to remember to do it.

Forgot MOBAs even existed. I'll never get into MOBAs since the team aspect probably either. Anything that requires not shit internet and cooperating with people to not fuck something up seems a little bleh to me. I've enjoyed games like Monaco online with friends, but something high tension like Dota 2? Probably never unless someone forces me.

Dawn of War 2 or something though where I only control like 2 units at a time? Sure.

Jman014

I have a Humble thingy for Warlock Master of the Arcane, which is basically Civilization but with magic. Quote to reveal the stuff

Also I love the hell out of shmups or any game that is designed as an arcade like experience. Stuff like arcade racers, light gun games, and rhythm games in particular. Something that's meant to be replayed constantly and see yourself improve over a period of time, nothing is more satisfying.

Going from noob level to near mastery of every track in Daytona USA along with car handling in only a few weeks was an awesome experience. Automatic Transmission is for fucking chodes.

I would do so much better at shmups if I were better at recognizing when I need to bomb to stay alive. Every time I lose a life with bomb stock remaining I get a little pissed. :lol
Yeah I always either horde them too much or have a late reaction which kills me and I don't use it
You've never seen Starcraft or Age of Empires?

Technically still off camera. And diavolo/king crimson are just a dio/world ripoff.
I want dio back goddamn it! Almost too bad jotoro destroyed him.

Araki believes the strongest powers have to do with time/space manipulation. You can see that with Kira's Another One Bites the Dust

semisonic

Banned
I have a Humble thingy for Warlock Master of the Arcane, which is basically Civilization but with magic. Quote to reveal the stuff

That sounds rad as fuck
I'm getting in there
I swear I'll return the favor someday you guys. 4 real
Also am watching Akagi.
It's better than I expected so far

Jman014

The only total war game I've played is shogun 2

so not really
I love Shogun 2! I also have ROME 2 but that's eh.
That sounds rad as fuck
I'm getting in there
I swear I'll return the favor someday you guys. 4 real
Also am watching Akagi.
It's better than I expected so far
This is good, though.I wanted to make sure my Humble thing worked so I can gift more stuff to people in the thread in the future.

congrats
The only fighting game I'm interested in is KI. It's pretty fun. Can't wait for that golem dude!

mrmyhthef

RTS used to be my favourite genre when I was younger. Used to be like 70% of what I played.

Nowadays not so much, but that's in part due to the genre dying.

Does anyone have an idea when the evil within DLC is coming?

I want to trad yin or sell and put it towards the 3DS, but I'm curious about the DLC.

Skrams

Dota tho

Also I love the hell out of shmups or any game that is designed as an arcade like experience. Stuff like arcade racers, light gun games, and rhythm games in particular. Something that's meant to be replayed constantly and see yourself improve over a period of time, nothing is more satisfying.

Going from noob level to near mastery of every track in Daytona USA along with car handling in only a few weeks was an awesome experience. Automatic Transmission is for fucking chodes.

It's just one of those things that takes devotion. I can do it for rhythm games as they usually have a few states. Passing the song, failing the song, or getting certain ranks in a song. It gives me a goal set in the game to work towards. It's when you have to set personal goals that I find my interest waning. You have to be dedicated to the game and have to take pride in how you've gotten better. The game will rarely say good job or anything. It's just a sticker for you to put on your wall. The same kind of dedication works for fighting games, but at least with that you start to win matches instead of lose. There's really any times where you can show your cool Daytona USA skills to anyone and feel cool. It's mostly just for yourself.

“There was a SQUARE-CHAN here. It’s gone now”

Motherfucker.

Top Bottom