• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Ilvocare

Also I love the hell out of shmups or any game that is designed as an arcade like experience. Stuff like arcade racers, light gun games, and rhythm games in particular. Something that's meant to be replayed constantly and see yourself improve over a period of time, nothing is more satisfying.

Going from noob level to near mastery of every track in Daytona USA along with car handling in only a few weeks was an awesome experience. Automatic Transmission is for fucking chodes.

thismanknow.gif

YOOOO MISSILE GHOST POWERS? FUCK YEAH

IT'S SO FUCKING SICK AND JUST GETS BETTER FROM THERE OH MAN

It's just one of those things that takes devotion. I can do it for rhythm games as they usually have a few states. Passing the song, failing the song, or getting certain ranks in a song. It gives me a goal set in the game to work towards. It's when you have to set personal goals that I find my interest waning. You have to be dedicated to the game and have to take pride in how you've gotten better. The game will rarely say good job or anything. It's just a sticker for you to put on your wall. The same kind of dedication works for fighting games, but at least with that you start to win matches instead of lose. There's really any times where you can show your cool Daytona USA skills to anyone and feel cool. It's mostly just for yourself.

Depending on the game of choice, a 1CC or whatever may not actually be a purely self-imposed challenge. If arcade games had NO external reinforcement for the mastery of their games then I wouldn't love the concept nearly as much.

Jman014

Watch EVO and tell me that's not hype as hell to watch.

Either way, I don't think you should compare them. Completely different experiences.

I've watched things like EVO and haven't found them really interesting to watch. In general I don't find competitive gaming interesting to watch but there are a few moments that are pretty cool.

Also play Dota 2

Gamer Y

I don't really play Glacius, Sabrewulf or TJ Combo. I try playing everyone else a little bit.
You don't bring the wombo combo, a shame. I do the same except for glacius, spinal and thunder. but I make it a rule to go random on rank 1 players so I get them from time to time.

Jman014

While I do watch some MOBA tournaments, because I like competition, it's a lot less personal seeing a bunch of people, and matches take forever.

I do have to say that despite my disinterest, things like The International are popular as fuck so they have that going for them. Last year's prize pool was humongous. I don't mind supporting things like that financially.

Xiraiya

tumblr_njmbalYMHf1rkaljto1_540.png

New avatar thanks to Beloved finding me an awesome image.

Skrams

Depending on the game of choice, a 1CC or whatever may not actually be a purely self-imposed challenge. If arcade games had NO external reinforcement for the mastery of their games then I wouldn't love the concept nearly as much.

Is there that many games that reward you for a 1CC? I don't know much about the genre of shmups and the like, so I honestly don't know. I always see people talking about how they 1CC'd certain games, but I just assumed it was a personal goal. If the game rewards you with another difficulty level or at least some kind of congratulations, we acknowledge your effort then I could easily understand why people do it.

Watch EVO and tell me that's not hype as hell to watch.

Either way, I don't think you should compare them. Completely different experiences.

I've watched some of last years EVO and didn't really care. Like I said I value team play over 1v1 fighting, except quake 1v1 quake matches. Those are amazing

Is there that many games that reward you for a 1CC? I don't know much about the genre of shmups and the like, so I honestly don't know. I always see people talking about how they 1CC'd certain games, but I just assumed it was a personal goal. If the game rewards you with another difficulty level or at least some kind of congratulations, we acknowledge your effort then I could easily understand why people do it.
I think he means the original definition of 1CC, which involved being able to play the whole game for cheaper in an Arcade.

semisonic

Banned
tumblr_njmbalYMHf1rkaljto1_540.png

New avatar thanks to Beloved finding me an awesome image.
THAT'S FUCKING SICK
You don't bring the wombo combo, a shame. I do the same except for glacius, spinal and thunder. but I make it a rule to go random on rank 1 players so I get them from time to time.

It actually makes me sad that wombo combo has been hijacked as a term by the moba community. We really don't have that much you guys. Just let us have this.
This is a wombo combo

This is not a wombo combo

Skrams

I think he means the original definition of 1CC, which involved being able to play the whole game for cheaper in an Arcade.

That'd make sense, but also you'd probably spend quite a bit money to get to that point so I'd never see the point. Now if you practice at home then take your skill to the arcade then sure. I'd feel pretty cool 1CCing a House of the Dead in an arcade setting since there'd be more pressure to do so.

Like comparing chess to CS to Unreal Tornament to dota and Starcraft and LoL to poker.

I'm referring to skill ceiling.
Skill ceiling eh? Ok. Well even still it's hard to compare different kinds of complexity.

For example, Poker has a heavy luck element, as well as T/CCGs, and a huge part of the game is played through charisma and mind games which is hard to quantify the complexity of.

Ilvocare

Full disclosure: that's not what I meant. Like I see that as a valid reason but fuck me if I'll pull that off in an arcade environment. When I think of bullet hells I think to Touhou and CAVE games since those are the ones I was introduced to. Normally there is room for additional difficulty/a true final boss/an Extra stage/the good ending for 1CC'ing a game in those cases. I'd be so happy if Time Crisis 3 had something like that for playing through with the base four lives, but I already believe that that's not the case.

Skill ceiling eh? Ok. Well even still it's hard to compare different kinds of complexity.

For example, Poker has a heavy luck element, as well as T/CCGs, and a huge part of the game is played through charisma and mind games which is hard to quantify the complexity of.

So should the testament of a talented "gamer" be how quickly these people know how to game a system?
Or develop strategy and execute on it with success? Or how well they perform their role on a team?

Oberon

Banned
Sometimes I have the most stupid realiseations.
Like today I was talking talking to some girls, and one of them is talking about a boy she's intersted in. And she said really proudly that she managed to be on the same train wagon as him today. I found it really funny, because it seems like somthing I would say on this thread. And it was kind of a releaf that girls have to go through the same kind of things as we boys are.

Top Bottom