• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

joe2187

Banned
I was in a competitive chess club in elementary school.

If there's a steam chess game I'd be down to play some.

I haven't played in years.

In the early days of steam there was this

RYSFh83.png

simple free version of chess in the chat room.

Table top sim?

Whats that? is it free?

So should the testament of a talented "gamer" be how quickly these people know how to game a system?
Or develop strategy and execute on it? Or how well they perform their role on a team?
I think it's just hard to compare skill sets between games with entirely different rules.
That'd make sense, but also you'd probably spend quite a bit money to get to that point so I'd never see the point. Now if you practice at home then take your skill to the arcade then sure. I'd feel pretty cool 1CCing a House of the Dead in an arcade setting since there'd be more pressure to do so.
Even getting better means you gradually get better and better. It's more applicable to when arcades were a bigger thing I think.

Also depends on your desire to replay games and master them just for the enjoyment of mastery. I do no-sub-weapon runs of MMX just to make the game more interesting since I've replayed it so much.
Full disclosure: that's not what I meant. Like I see that as a valid reason but fuck me if I'll pull that off in an arcade environment. When I think of bullet hells I think to Touhou and CAVE games since those are the ones I was introduced to. Normally there is room for additional difficulty/a true final boss/an Extra stage/the good ending for 1CC'ing a game in those cases. I'd be so happy if Time Crisis 3 had something like that for playing through with the base four lives, but I already believe that that's not the case.
That's just cool content then.

croten

Sometimes I have the most stupid realiseations.
Like today I was talking talking to some girls, and one of them is talking about a boy she's intersted in. And she said really proudly that she managed to be on the same train wagon as him today. I found it really funny, because it seems like somthing I would say on this thread. And it was kind of a releaf that girls have to go through the same kind of things as we boys are.

It's almost as if men and women are both human

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Guys, I need your help.

If any of you remember that girl who I'm in that unhealthy relationship with, she wants to hang out this weekend. I kind of want to say yes, but I know what will happen.

She is the worst, but I just can't help myself. What do I do?

Zenfalcia

Like today I was talking talking to some girls, and one of them is talking about a boy she's intersted in. And she said really proudly that she managed to be on the same train wagon as him today. I found it really funny, because it seems like somthing I would say on this thread. And it was kind of a releaf that girls have to go through the same kind of things as we boys are.

It's just like my japanese animes. Next the train will jolt and she'll fall down on him or vice versa. Also, yeah, women/girls are just like guys.

RYSFh83.png

Whats that? is it free?

There's no chess or tabletop sim on Steam with cross play between PC and Mac?

Guys, I need your help.

If any of you remember that girl who I'm in that unhealthy relationship with, she wants to hang out this weekend. I kind of want to say yes, but I know what will happen.

Hang out to do what?

Jman014

Guys, I need your help.

Say no

So should the testament of a talented "gamer" be how quickly these people know how to game a system?
Or develop strategy and execute on it with success? Or how well they perform their role on a team?

The testament of a talented gamer is how good their feel of the game is, and how well they can put these skills in a real life situation.

Like for one, let's take Desk's videos. Insanely knowledgeable fighting game playing, but not the best in a real situation. You have to put both together.

That sounds like something out of a SOL Romance anime.

Only way to meet girls here is to go drink at a bar or talk to them in a random store.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
There's no chess or tabletop sim on Steam with cross play between PC and Mac?

Hang out to do what?

Probs watch anime or drive around or something.

I'll be getting back my copies of Wolfs Rain and Kare Kano, so at least something good is bound to happen.

Whats that? is it free?
Oh I didn't know about this. It's $20 I think? But it lets you play a bunch of table top games online and you can mod in other games like DND and stuff
I need this... I barely have any room on my desk to play real tabletop games in my apartment.
It looks super fun if you have a few people to play with

croten

Guys, I need your help.

Tell her you're busy or something. Don't spend time with her, you know it's bad for you.

Zenfalcia

Guys, I need your help.

Remember the basics of CQC.

semisonic

Banned
Controversial question:

What genre of games require the most...talent for competition play?
(For lack of a better word)
Since you're talking skill ceilings, i'd say melee. The games been growing for 13 years, and we're still getting visibly better. There's still so much hidden tech there that we haven't stopped finding(which takes a lot of skill and effort to keep up with and utilize), and combined with combos that change based on positioning, character weight, and percentage to make it so nothing's guaranteed unless you can think on your feet. Add in doubles with friendly fire on, and more competitively viable playstyles than literally any other game, and I'd say there's still a huge future there that will necessitate continued improvement until we hit 20XX
tumblr_inline_mxogbfcKj61ryz6zz.gif

It's fine! I'm seeing two equally hype moments.

The problem is that there was only ever one wombo combo
some guys from an entirely separate community just said hey that's cool let's steal that
and then run it the fuck into the ground
Same with salty johns
and a bunch of other terms
at this point d1's DESTRUCTION is most of what we have left
it's childish, but we're basically the black culture of the world of gamers. Whatever we have will be stolen sooner or later
something something this was the wombo combo
No, that's just some random shit with the audio pasted over it.
Pretty funny tho.
Yeah too many people just assume wombo combo was originally a LOL term because it shows up there all the fucking time

Skrams

Full disclosure: that's not what I meant. Like I see that as a valid reason but fuck me if I'll pull that off in an arcade environment. When I think of bullet hells I think to Touhou and CAVE games since those are the ones I was introduced to. Normally there is room for additional difficulty/a true final boss/an Extra stage/the good ending for 1CC'ing a game in those cases. I'd be so happy if Time Crisis 3 had something like that for playing through with the base four lives, but I already believe that that's not the case.

Then that's a cool reward. That's the kind of stuff I could see myself working towards. If I got another difficulty in a character action game for Platinuming the previous one then I'd be more inclined to. Usually I'd just settle with simply completing the difficulty though.

Even getting better means you gradually get better and better. It's more applicable to when arcades were a bigger thing I think.

Also depends on your desire to replay games and master them just for the enjoyment of mastery. I do no-sub-weapon runs of MMX just to make the game more interesting since I've replayed it so much.

That's just cool content then.

Yeah, I just prefer game goals rather than personal goals. I don't know if I've ever had a game I revisit like a MMX or anything. I've thought about trying to play Miku recently with only the dpad so I can train myself to use it in tandem with the face buttons as to make parts of the game easier. That's all I can think of though for that kind of stuff. I should probably disregard in game goals and achievements one of these days and try to just gitgud at something to see how I feel. I'd probably do that with a fighting game or something rather than an arcade game though.

The testament of a talented gamer is how good their feel of the game is, and how well they can put these skills in a real life situation.

Like for one, let's take Desk's videos. Insanely knowledgeable fighting game playing, but not the best in a real situation. You have to put both together.

I see.

So follow up: can there be games with physical or mental edges that are beneficial in more areas than competitive gaming?

I remember watching a documentary on Monopoly where the majority of competitive monopoly players are people that use negotiation skills in their career.

I see.

So follow up: can there be games with physical or mental edges that are beneficial in more areas than competitive gaming?

I remember watching a documentary on Monopoly where the majority of competitive monopoly players are people that use negotiation skills in their career.
Of course. Just the dedication to improve and think on the fly is important and a skill you could easily use. Most extreme examples of skills and proficiencies overlap.
Yeah, I just prefer game goals rather than personal goals. I don't know if I've ever had a game I revisit like a MMX or anything. I've thought about trying to play Miku recently with only the dpad so I can train myself to use it in tandem with the face buttons as to make parts of the game easier. That's all I can think of though for that kind of stuff. I should probably disregard in game goals and achievements one of these days and try to just gitgud at something to see how I feel. I'd probably do that with a fighting game or something rather than an arcade game though.
Yeah, perfecting a thing you love is pretty neat. Same reason people do speedruns and stuff.
God I should do that with Miku.
And yeah. If there's something with depth you find enjoyable, fighting games are a great choice since there's always somebody better than you to stack up against.
Yeah too many people just assume wombo combo was originally a LOL term because it shows up there all the fucking time
The internet does this with everything dude.

Neol

The problem is that there was only ever one wombo combo
some guys from an entirely separate community just said hey that's cool let's steal that
and then run it the fuck into the ground
Same with salty johns
and a bunch of other terms
at this point d1's DESTRUCTION is most of what we have left
it's childish, but we're basically the black culture of the world of gamers. Whatever we have will be stolen sooner or later

Actually don't mind people using wombo combo as long as they know the origin. Its purpose serves it well in other games as its generally, a combo that's hard too pull off. Also to be fair it used to be only johns but the FGU added salty towards it which is fine.

Also god bless aMSa. Such a great player and person as well.

semisonic

Banned
Also god bless aMSa. Such a great player and person as well.

Did you see his fucking apex showing?
5th place in a tournament with all 5 smash gods there
playing yoshi
he nearly fucking upset mang0
that shit is so sick, one of the best matches I've seen in forever

Oberon

Banned
It's almost as if men and women are both human

I sometimes forget that other people are humans too

Guys, I need your help.

I think I remember that story.
Say No, she isn't good for you.

It's just like my japanese animes. Next the train will jolt and she'll fall down on him or vice versa. Also, yeah, women/girls are just like guys.

That sounds like something out of a SOL Romance anime.

Only way to meet girls here is to go drink at a bar or talk to them in a random store.

Not really. I asked her what she likes about him and she answered he's pretty, neat, but he's not very funny. I told her, because of her location ( she lives in village in the mountains pretty fare away) she mustn't have much choice on who to date. She replyed, that it would be pretty hard to convince someone to move and live there, so yeah, she hasn't much choice. It goes on, and was a pretty funny conversation.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Something something or something?
That's what I'm worried will happen. She has a boyfriend and yet she still hangs out with me and is just as seductive and flirtatious. I keep doing dumb shit. I feel nothing but lust toward her and that is not good. There is no emotion driving me.
Make up an excuse and do something else with other friends.

The two of you alone won't be good for you.
I'm thinking this is what will have to happen. But my anime... I guess I'll just have to count them as fallen soldiers.

semisonic

Banned
I sometimes forget that other people are humans too

I think I remember that story.
Say No, she isn't good for you.
Yeah, that's the main reason I find it hard to actually hate people. Too much empathy doesn't help tho.

Also mathaou just don't fucking do it
DON'T FUCKING DO IT
it's really that simple

Top Bottom