• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Basically a running theme of the book that's not really conveyed well is that everyone in Patrick Bateman's world is a bunch of narcissistic borderline psychos, so they frequently mistake each other for other people and don't give a shit about anything except the outward appearance of being normal and super successful. So at the end, Bateman's just talking about how empty and meaningless the story/his introspection is, because he's trapped in his routines and/or possible mental illness and can't escape (there's even a "No Exit" sign behind where he sits).

Yo.

Yo I like that.

But thats The Shining levels of not conveying certain themes very well. It's okay tho.

Alright its done. (Spoilers obviously) Why I think Persona 4 is the most disappointing game I've ever played.

hides.

But seriously, for the next hour before I have to sleep for school tomorrow and probably not be here all day/night, I'll explain anything you want me to. Don't hold back because its seriously the last time I ever seriously talk about this game. I'm too far in the P5 bandwagon to remotely care about 4 anymore.

I hold carebare P4 like opinions on payday 2. I hate that game so much and I hate myself for buying it and spending so much time in it.

140 hours and a save file crash I'll never get back, but I don't regret.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I played it a while ago, I stopped playing a couple of years ago. Are the stranges still selling for a bunch? They where petering off the last time I played. I got an unusual hat once and made off with 3 full priced games once

The Australium weapons are the rarest things so far I think in TF2 aside from Bill's Hat and the Ear Buds.

Market says I can sale the one I have for 100$.

How do you get 140 hours out of P4?

Are you woolie?

My 80 hour save file crashed and I really wanted that 100% compendium.

I said this last week, I'll say it again this week, and I'll keep saying it until the end of the semester. Fuck reading, and fuck anyone that assigns this much. Also fuck my dumb ass for doing so much of it at once.

I'll laugh if this gets you banned and/or a tag

EDIT: Never mind, I thought it was a thread

Highly doubt I make this a thread. I don't feel like getting #decimated about a game I no longer care about.

oh and blah blah i approve this message and stuff

#skLaFarebear4PResident

Yo.

Yo I like that.

But thats The Shining levels of not conveying certain themes very well. It's okay tho.
I think they did pretty well for an adaptation of a way longer, gorier book. The way they incorporated some of the chapter long music rambles by compressing them down and inserting them into dialogue was genius. The only way to do it better would be to make the adaptation way longer and with a bigger budget, so you'd get more reinforcment of the narcissism/obliviousness theme and actually incorporate Bateman's hallucinations, but I don't think you could do a longer movie, miniseries, or short TV show without the risk of ruining the effect. The book could do it no problem because Bret Easton Ellis a great writer, but it's a lot harder to do in an audiovisual medium.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Alright its done. (Spoilers obviously) Why I think Persona 4 is the most disappointing game I've ever played.

hides.

But seriously, for the next hour before I have to sleep for school tomorrow and probably not be here all day/night, I'll explain anything you want me to. Don't hold back because its seriously the last time I ever seriously talk about this game. I'm too far in the P5 bandwagon to remotely care about 4 anymore.

Very nice argument with good evidence. I feel like I should write an essay on things I don't like. Seems like a good vent.

The Australium weapons are the rarest things so far I think in TF2 aside from Bill's Hat and the Ear Buds.

Market says I can sale the one I have for 100$.

very nice, with the addition of steam wallet selling things must be really simple now. are you going to do it if you can find the right price?

Very nice argument with good evidence. I feel like I should write an essay on things I don't like. Seems like a good vent.

Not really just a vent. I'd like to do some more game analysis in the future as a way to close the book on things I've spent a lot of time thinking about. I really wanna do ones on stuff I love too like Drakengard/Nier and the Xeno universe and an analysis of their games/lore.

Also, as someone who's currently designing games, I'd like to put my thoughts into perspective about how designers chose to do things and see how it works/doesn't work.

hides.

So, would you levy the party development/s-link complaint at P3P's added FeMC content? It comes along with their normal story growth through the plot.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Not really just a vent. I'd like to do some more game analysis in the future as a way to close the book on things I've spent a lot of time thinking about. I really wanna do ones on stuff I love too like Drakengard/Nier and the Xeno universe and an analysis of their games/lore.

Also, as someone who's currently designing games, I'd like to put my thoughts into perspective about how designers chose to do things and see how it works/doesn't work.

I'd like to do the same for Zelda one day.

One day...

I'm off, night nerds!

So, would you levy the party development/s-link complaint at P3P's added FeMC content? It comes along with their normal story growth through the plot.

I honestly don't remember it much for myself, even though I've played through about 3/4 of her route. I really can't say.

hides.

I agree with most of what you said, I just think it's all way less irritating and terrible than you do. I think it's also better written than you give it credit for.

hides.

I agree with a lot of this. I just didn't find it as annoying as you did. Also, I don't think that P3 issues should be forgiven just because it was their first attempt at the formula.
I'll laugh if this gets you banned and/or a tag

EDIT: Never mind, I thought it was a thread

You're allowed to have dissenting opinions on GAF.

Valid complaints, but I feel that tying the S-Links into strengthening Personas does more to reinforce the duality of the social life aspect and the shadow world aspect and not liking the stories of the individual S-Links is more a matter of taste, regardless of how (ironically) isolated it is from the main game.

Its totally a matter of taste. I completely agree. If you don't like the characters, you're not gonna like the game. Unfortunately, I really hate them all, except for Adachi.

I also don't agree with the S-Links being so tied to the social link aspect even though I understand the story reasons behind it. Its clever in concept, but it doesn't change how awful the execution of it is. Doing something not fun, like hanging out with characters you hate, shouldn't influence the gameplay in that kind of way. If you're one of the lucky ones that likes every character and their social link in the game, god damn you must be a really tolerant and likable person to be with.

You know, seeing this makes me want to do something similar for a few games I've played. probably not Sunrider, since I can't give it a fair assessment without getting past the super huge early game difficulty spike, but I could drop some bombs on G Gen Overworld.

I fucking wish GAF ran on Xenoforo, then I'd be able to judge the interest level based on the number of likes.

I agree with a lot of this. I just didn't find it as annoying as you did. Also, I don't think that P3 issues should be forgiven just because it was their first attempt at the formula.

Forgiving might be too strong a word. I guess, "more tolerant" is a better way to describe it. I'm more accepting of flaws if its a really new system and their first try at it. Must be why I don't hate FF13.

I honestly don't remember it much for myself, even though I've played through about 3/4 of her route. I really can't say.
That's fine. I think S-links are just far more forgivable when they're on top of normal, existing development for party characters.

Personally I admit I enjoyed the fantasy fulfillment of helping people, especially being my first SMT game.

Jman014

Guys...cheer me up.

tumblr_m57urfpV3q1qfncu9.gif

Uhh, Korra is here for you!

That's fine. I think S-links are just far more forgivable when they're on top of normal, existing development for party characters.

Personally I admit I enjoyed the fantasy fulfillment of helping people, especially being my first SMT game.

Its something I can't tolerate in real life, and as I found out, in a video game. I'm probably less harsh on Persona 3 because I had no idea what the fuck I was doing and barely did social links, which was probably why the game was a lot harder than it should have been for me.

You know, seeing this makes me want to do something similar for a few games I've played. probably not Sunrider, since I can't give it a fair assessment without getting past the super huge early game difficulty spike, but I could drop some bombs on G Gen Overworld.

I fucking wish GAF ran on Xenoforo, then I'd be able to judge the interest level based on the number of likes.

Its oddly satisfying. It can really help you just move on from something you've spent a long time reflecting over.

Thanks, bro

Now I know who to complain too when life as a teenage moe idol with twintails just gets too tough.

Forgiving might be too strong a word. I guess, "more tolerant" is a better way to describe it. I'm more accepting of flaws if its a really new system and their first try at it. Must be why I don't hate FF13.

Fair enough. It's a shame that you're not going to make a thread for this. GAF needs more posts like this.

Its something I can't tolerate in real life, and as I found out, in a video game. I'm probably less harsh on Persona 3 because I had no idea what the fuck I was doing and barely did social links, which was probably why the game was a lot harder than it should have been for me.
I really really enjoy it, mostly because I love it in real life. So yeah, I agree with your objective points, and I see where the subjective ones would just ruin it.

GOOD OPINION BREH

I'm frustrated since I worked so hard studying and then I take the exam and a lot of what we were required to know wasn't even on it.

Frankly 2 midterms and a final are a better system than this.

I hate that I just feel like a huge fuck up

RealGAF that is not about sex

I understand but I was just imagining people thinking he was "shit posting" or "trolling" because he was going against the majority of opinions of such a popular game.

This isn't 4chan. As long as the argument is well written you won't see a lot of shit posting

I guess it can't hurt. Why not. I hope it all fits in the OP though.

Not now. After the Persona hype dies down.

I'm frustrated since I worked so hard studying and then I take the exam and a lot of what we were required to know wasn't even on it.
Frankly 2 midterms and a final are a better system than this.
I hate that I just feel like a huge fuck up

RealGAF that is not about sex

It sounds like sex because you just got fucked

Top Bottom