• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, you guys, I got disappointed by Alien: Isolation. I was expecting Amnesia with Alien, even brought it to a horror night with friends.

The first half hour was nothing and the next was a shitty stealth game avoiding HUMANS.

We gave up after that.

I STILL haven't seen the Alien once!

And the game had nauseating motion blur whenever I turned the camera.

:(

I wonder what Pat and the others will have to say about it.

A slow start? IN A HORROR GAME!?
giphy.gif

kewlmyc

Boy, you guys, I got disappointed by Alien: Isolation. I was expecting Amnesia with Alien, even brought it to a horror night with friends.

The first half hour was nothing and the next was a shitty stealth game avoiding HUMANS.

We gave up after that.

Isn't seeing the Alien a bad thing and means almost certain death?

Squishy3

We gave up after that.

It's a slow burn and it picks up shortly after you avoid those humans for the first few times. Too bad it sucks you're playing on PS4 where you presumably can't turn off the motion blur.

I haven't seen much of Key and Peele but I like the two in their previous ventures. I don't have comedy central so I can't just watch it on TV and I have other things ahead of it, I'll get around to it someday but I hear it is great.

They're okay. What puts them over the top, is the always seem to get in one sketch that really hits it out of the park. I'd describe it like their show is 7, with perfect 10 jokes every now and then.

If you're not subscribed to Machina Respawn it won't show up in your subscriptions.

Yeah, but the Best Friends usually do a trailer on their own channel...

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's a slow burn and it picks up shortly after you avoid those humans for the first few times. Too bad it sucks you're playing on PS4 where you presumably can't turn off the motion blur.

Normally motion blur doesn't bother me at all, I'm not one that gets motion sickness or stuff like that. But this game? Oof, it's bad. Maybe it was the TV, I'll give it another go on mine later tonight.

360pages

Okay, now you guys made me way to aware of some of my writing quirks. I'm getting mixed feelings on if I even want to be picked for the week of writing or not.

JC Sera

We gave up after that.

Ok watching the machinima video where they're fucking with samuel and I can definitely see how you can get nauseated
bleh

Xiraiya

We gave up after that.

If you didn't appreciate the first movie then you won't appreciate the game, the entire slow startup is part of the Alien charm.
From what I saw this is exactly what I want, I want to walk around and explore and then experience shit slowly going bad and building up to the worse scenario,.

If you didn't appreciate the first movie then you won't appreciate the game, the entire slow startup is part of the Alien charm.
From what I saw this is exactly what I want, I want to walk around and explore and then experience shit slowly going bad and building up to the worse scenario,.

I think he meant he hasn't seen one Alien in the game.

Emouse

just pre-ordered Freedom Wars, not sure if I should get Shinovi Versus when it's out this week? also did anyone play Akiba's Trip at all?

might be giving my
weeb machine
vita some love sometime soon

360pages

They should have just given Mii gunner's moveset to Dark Samus and made her a character. Of course they would need to alter some stuff on it, but I wouldn't mind actually having a character to play in For Glory.

Cryme Tyme is my shit!

I can't help but wonder why Jay-Z hasn't done a game yet. He's the biggest hip hop artist in the world, but 50 gets two decent games before Jay does?

They should have just given Mii gunner's moveset to Dark Samus and made her a character. Of course they would need to alter some stuff on it, but I wouldn't mind actually having a character to play in For Glory.
I would've really liked to have the SA-X in. There's really not much of a roster to pick from for Metroid characters though, unfortunately.

Cryme Tyme is my shit!

I can't help but wonder why Jay-Z hasn't done a game yet. He's the biggest hip hop artist in the world, but 50 gets two decent games before Jay does?
I think calling Bulletproof decent is REALLY fucking stretching it.

But a Jay-Z game could be interesting. Hell, there should be more artists or music groups that have games staring them.

Give me my JAM Project character action game.

Well yeah, if it's a slow build up then it's going to take time for the alien to appear. It took a long time for the Alien to appear in the movie as well

Well yeah but just because it's like that in the movie, it doesn't necessarily make it okay in a video game.

Squishy3

Well yeah but just because it's like that in the movie, it doesn't necessarily make it okay in a video game.
It's maybe an hour or two until you first meet it and then it's constantly there for the rest of the game, and the game is pretty damn long. I have 7 hours logged and I'm not even halfway through.

Its also not okay for it to start throwing scares at you 10 minutes in.

Outlast did that and outlast had some of the worst pacing I have seen in a horror game.
It would've been fine if the scares had any weight to them, I prefer the slow build in something like SH, but it's not wrong to start with a spike and then ease you in. Though I don't think Outlast did it well it was OK.

Alien is intending to emulate the movie, not having the alien early on is in line with it's goals.

I think calling Bulletproof decent is REALLY fucking stretching it.

But a Jay-Z game could be interesting. Hell, there should be more artists or music groups that have games staring them.

Give me my JAM Project character action game.

Yah it was bad, not as decent as Blood in the Sand.

Def Jam cross Aki Systems was godly.

There's possibilities out there for Hip Hop game crossovers.

Its also not okay for it to start throwing scares at you 10 minutes in.

Outlast did that and outlast had some of the worst pacing I have seen in a horror game.
Oh I agree. I'm just saying that line of thinking of it worked in one medium so it works in another isn't the best to have.

They should add in Adam. His moves are telling you you can't use your specials, and his final smash he sends you to a lava room without allowing fire protection

Or we can play as The Baby.

The Baby
The Baby

But yeah, Adam would also be a hype AT for that.
I just want my Ridleys

Squishy3

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that line of thinking of it worked in one medium so it works in another isn't the best to have.
The problem with it in Alien: Isolation is it throws you a couple stealth encounters that aren't representative of the rest of the game before the alien is introduced, it's just the non-alien enemies and you instead of being a mixture of the following two scenarios:

you and the alien in an area, with it constantly jumping in and out of the air ducts

you, the alien, and a third party, making the alien somewhat unpredictable because you'll never know when it'll go after one of the other people in the area

Oh definitely. All the stuff devs lift from Film as a medium really hurts some games. Just because games are close to films in terms of content, aping their content can hurt more than it helps.
Woolie as Jason because why not, also stolen from the reddit
Lots of Woolie being pushed for summerslam lately. Reminds me of Woolsworth's stone mask/predator mask.

Squishy3

Oh definitely. All the stuff devs lift from Film as a medium really hurts some games. Just because games are close to films in terms of content, aping their content can hurt more than it helps.

Lots of Woolie being pushed for summerslam lately.
Well as I said in my previous post Alien: Isolation isn't a true slow burn the way the movie is because it introduces stealth encounters with the other parties aboard the space station before the alien is introduced and it's not representative of the rest of the gameplay experience where you're balancing avoiding the alien and them, or just you avoiding the alien. In that regard, it should have been more like the movie. It could have still introduced the other parties via a cutscene or something, but not have had you do stealth encounters with them until the alien is also introduced. The game is a blast once everything comes together like that, though. You also get most of the full aresneal about 1/4 of the way through the game except for one specific weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom