• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911456
shit just got real guys
time to eliminate anything and anyone with Ebola
its the only way to save chocolate

Jumping-Out-Of-The-Window-Because-Of-The-Madness-On-The-Simpsons-Reaction-Gif.gif

360pages

I often wonder why Kamiya treats people like shit, then I see topics like that and it's all justified. Really, If I saw that topic and I was him I would probably auto block everyone in the US.

So I'm tempted to watch EoE on a university computer, do you guys think I should? Should I just let my shame melt away???
Only if no one can catch a glance of what you're watching, so probably not. Doubt the university would care, but I dunno. Maybe.
I often wonder why Kamiya treats people like shit, then I see topics like that and it's all justified. Really, If I saw that topic and I was him I would probably auto block everyone in the US.
People are stupid, the question is valid, the result is fucking horrible.

Japanese devs are weird, man. Sakurai called people who complain about clone characters in Smash "children". They would not last a month if they worked for Western companies.

360pages

Japanese devs are weird, man. Sakurai called people who complain about clone characters in Smash "children". They would not last a month if they worked for Western companies.

I'm kind of happy that they don't accept shit all the time. There is a limit after and depending on the situation they are in well within their rights to call people whinny babby's

Gamers have a tendency to give their 2 cent about everything. Hell, I stopped going to Animegaf, because they suck the fun out of every single thing they watch.

I'm kind of happy that they don't accept shit all the time. There is a limit after and depending on the situation they are in well within their rights to call people whinny babby's

Gamers have a tendency to give their 2 cent about everything. Hell, I stopped going to Animegaf, because they suck the fun out of every single thing they watch.
Everybody's a critic, etc. I adore critique, but it guess I can see how it gets to somebody when it's all you see day in day out- on your own work especially.

I know Jon Blow talks about Braid and reading/responding to its reception as actually giving him serious depression for awhile.

Kamiya just doesn't give any fucks, Sakurai did a very tame put down after years of people complaining through each iteration.

Village

Why shouldn't it have? What would a female Zero really change?

Hmm nothing? I think saying it should be is way to assertive of a character that is not ours, saying it could be is fine. I like the concept of a main megaman person being a girl, hell I played as the girl in Megaman ZX and Advent first.

I'm not going to assert character should be a thing a lot of the time when it comes to their being , I will inquire that they could be.

Let's put it this way:

American companies care WAYYYY too much about pleasing the customer ego.

Japanese companies, run by old salarymen who have very salty feelings about America, justified or not, sees the US as dollar signs.

It does seem like once you're a big name in Japanese Development, you are nearly untouchable.

Xiraiya

I lose respect for people so fast on social media stuff when they're clearly letting their emotions get the best of them in a public place, Kamiya giving people short nasty replies for saying/asking something stupid is not the same as getting upset and raging, so I think it's fine personally since they generally earn it.

As bad as it can be for business, I like the more honest approach from Japanese developers because it's still more about making interesting stuff for them, in the western world it's 80% "What makes us the most money?" and 20% "This is a cool Idea I hope people like."

croten

Hmm nothing? I think saying it should be is way to assertive of a character that is not ours, saying it could be is fine. I like the concept of a main megaman person being a girl, hell I played as the girl in Megaman ZX and Advent first.

I'm not going to assert character should be a thing a lot of the time when it comes to their being , I will inquire that they could be.

Fair enough, I get that.

Let's put it this way:

American companies care WAYYYY too much about pleasing the customer ego.

Japanese companies, run by old salarymen who have very salty feelings about America, justified or not, sees the US as dollar signs.

It does seem like once you're a big name in Japanese Development, you are nearly untouchable.

More, Japan picks one guy on a dev team and gives them complete control. And those guys can get pretty full of themselves.
But honestly, at this point I'm convinced you need to be some kind of asshole to make a great game.

I lose respect for people so fast on social media stuff when they're clearly letting their emotions get the best of them in a public place, Kamiya giving people short nasty replies for saying/asking something stupid is not the same as getting upset and raging, so I think it's fine personally since they generally earn it.

As bad as it can be for business, I like the more honest approach from Japanese developers because it's still more about making interesting stuff for them, in the western world it's 80% "What makes us the most money?" and 20% "This is a cool Idea I hope people like."

TO be perfectly honest, It's never clear how the West blends in with Japan's development cycles and vice versa.

Ex. It blows my mind that EA and Square had a distribution deal. EA, reportedly the most hated games company in America, is also the same company that distributed all of the same Square classics I grew to love.

The business transactions behind the development and publishing cycles are interesting, like the Sony/Nintendo joint venture.

More, Japan picks one guy on a dev team and gives them complete control. And those guys can get pretty full of themselves.
But honestly, at this point I'm convinced you need to be some kind of asshole to make a great game.

IMO, you need to be an asshole-lite to get anything done in any IP work/creative field.

I'm playing Brutal Legend for the first time today and.. Wow.. This is disappointing. I was hoping it would be a Jack Black Character Action Game but NOPE it's fucking tower defence. Ugh why Tim Schafer...

I hope that game does good, so then they get platinum to make a version with more than 15 bucks worth of stuff in it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely getting more than $15 worth of fun out of this game. I'm sure the story will be about a few hours, but it will probably have the multiple difficulties/ranking system like all platinum games do. Korra on Revengeance hype

croten

I'm playing Brutal Legend for the first time today and.. Wow.. This is disappointing. I was hoping it would be a Jack Black Character Action Game but NOPE it's fucking tower defence. Ugh why Tim Schafer...

It's an action RTS. if either the RTS elements or the action elements were more fleshed out it would have been mush better.

bodine1231

Just listened to the podcast for the fist time. It's a good show but Jesus Christ,one of the guys (don't know his name) CONSTANTLY talks over everyone. I almost turned it off multiple times it was so bad.

Village

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely getting more than $15 worth of fun out of this game. I'm sure the story will be about a few hours, but it will probably have the multiple difficulties/ranking system like all platinum games do. Korra on Revengeance hype

I'm saying I would like to play a korra game that had a bugdget that would would necessitate a higher price. Not saying that this game isn't of worth of anything, i'm sure it will be fine.

IMO, you need to be an asshole-lite to get anything done in any IP work/creative field.

Honestly, reminds me of a famous quote that I can't remember the source at the moment; 'The nicer someone is, the more useless they probably are'.

But more on the topic, I agree. And I've found, following any of the big directors in this industry, there's always a little dirt in there. Miyamoto apparently has a bad temper. Kojima likes to demoralize his workers. Kamiya likes to tell people to eat shit on the internet ect.
I don't know of any sweethearts that got anything done in this industry, besides maybe from the Indie scene.

Jman014

I'm saying I would like to play a korra game that had a bugdget that would would necessitate a higher price. Not saying that this game isn't of worth of anything, i'm sure it will be fine.

Legend of Korra rpg by CD Projekt Red, or maybe Legend of Korra by Telltale.

croten

Just listened to the podcast for the fist time. It's a good show but Jesus Christ,one of the guys (don't know his name) CONSTANTLY talks over everyone. I almost turned it off multiple times it was so bad.

It's one of those Podcasts that are better for people who know the group. You should watch some of their LPs.

That's most likely Pat. And I definitely don't blame you for that, especially when they get to yelling over each other it can get painful on the ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom