• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im pretty shocked at how bad I am at the Bayo 2 demo. I got an overall gold, but more importantly, my combo ranking was always either bronze or silver in the multiple demo runs I did.

I need to git gud at Bayo combos I guess, I played through Bayo 1 three times then just went back to DMC3 because I have problems. I'll probably playthrough the first game a couple times from now till release to get accustomed to the flow of combat.

croten

Im pretty shocked at how bad I am at the Bayo 2 demo. I got an overall gold, but more importantly, my combo ranking was always either bronze or silver in the multiple demo runs I did.

I need to git gud at Bayo combos I guess, I played through Bayo 1 three times then just went back to DMC3 because I have problems. I'll probably playthrough the first game a couple times from now till release to get accustomed to the flow of combat.

I overall found Bayonetta a much easier game than DMC, mostly due to the flexibility that she has over a DMC character and having dodge assigned to a single button helps.

Just listened to the podcast for the fist time. It's a good show but Jesus Christ,one of the guys (don't know his name) CONSTANTLY talks over everyone. I almost turned it off multiple times it was so bad.

yeah that was Pat I'm guessing, I would recommend checking out a couple of their videos to get a feel for the group before diving into the podcast, it can get a little hectic in there

I overall found Bayonetta a much easier game than DMC, mostly due to the flexibility that she has over a DMC character and having dodge assigned to a single button helps.

Sure, my problem is that the combat flow feels so different than any other game. I really don't have much of an idea as to how the combo ranking system works/rewards you. And how to raise it properly, like, use of offset/wicked weaves is a given, but outside of that. What is the key to Bayo's combat pacing? I feel like im missing something.

croten

Sure, my problem is that the combat flow feels so different than any other game. I really don't have much of an idea as to how the combo ranking system works/rewards you. And how to raise it properly, like, use of offset/wicked weaves is a given, but outside of that. What is the key to Bayo's combat pacing? I feel like im missing something.

This is a really good video to explain the depth of the combat mechanics.

Just listened to the podcast for the fist time. It's a good show but Jesus Christ,one of the guys (don't know his name) CONSTANTLY talks over everyone. I almost turned it off multiple times it was so bad.

What were they saying? We can help you figure out who that was.

Are you familiar with the other content the Zaibatsu put out?

Honestly, reminds me of a famous quote that I can't remember the source at the moment; 'The nicer someone is, the more useless they probably are'.

But more on the topic, I agree. And I've found, following any of the big directors in this industry, there's always a little dirt in there. Miyamoto apparently has a bad temper. Kojima likes to demoralize his workers. Kamiya likes to tell people to eat shit on the internet ect.
I don't know of any sweethearts that got anything done in this industry, besides maybe from the Indie scene.

The Indie scene suffers from being too transparent if anything. Guys like Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow have too much pride in their work vs Kojima who has the luxury of hiding behind Fans and other people.

Having said that, I have no doubts of Miyamoto or Kojima being good at the PR job more so than giving credit to devs inside the business who executed their vision.

Like the guy who remade Spiderman 2's web swing mechanic. I wish I knew his name so I can personally praise him for making an initially poor marketing tie-in game so much better.

Back from vacation. Surprised to see that Dark Souls 2 vids are put on pause for now.
That being said, it was probably the best moment to stop, considering they finished the vanilla final boss.

51bc7a7dc7e22.png

"Welcome back."

360pages

Gaming industry as a whole is much more hostile then say writing or filming, mostly due to the fact that gamers tend to be far more assholish then the common movie goer and hell. Readers are super nice and even the harshest of critics usually have something nice to say about a bad book, (Not an awful one,)

Xiraiya

I'm kind of surprised someone has gone and found the Podcast first before watching their You Tube stuff.

That was probably Pat, he's the loudest and angriest usually, I tend to prefer him over all the others so him being the most vocal really doesn't bother me, I rather listen to him than Liam atleast.

This is a really good video to explain the depth of the combat mechanics.

Thanks. This helped in explaining some forms of offset. And how score reduction can affect you, which was what I needed. I just need to figure out what other attacks with special properties can reset score reduction.

Gaming industry as a whole is much more hostile then say writing or filming, mostly due to the fact that gamers tend to be far more assholish then the common movie goer and hell. Readers are super nice and even the harshest of critics usually have something nice to say about a bad book, (Not an awful one,)

If anything GAF had shown me, the whole 18-34 age demo video games are targeted for past adolescence isn't mature enough to argue on something's merits and flaws, myself included.

Huge generalization I know, but I'd be lying if I didn't have at least one argument on GAF that wasn't guided by emotion instead of merit/logic.

I always don't want to think about the whiny manchild, but I keep coming back to that stereotype.

Zenfalcia

Back from vacation. Surprised to see that Dark Souls 2 vids are put on pause for now.
That being said, it was probably the best moment to stop, considering they finished the vanilla final boss.

tumblr_inline_n5ogs9byBI1rljz9p.png

"Sup dude?"

Kinda ripping off PG's idea, but it's too good of an idea.

Edit: I think I've got snake eater stuck in my head from editing so much.. I was even dreaming about the song... Is that bad?

The whole game is misleading. I thought it was gonna be a Action Game with sick Axe/Guitar combos While Playing as Jack Black :(. Well at least Grim Fandango is coming back.

Brutal legend is the most disappointed I have ever been with a game.

"holy fucking shit, why has no one made this before? An open world driving hack and slash game with heavy metal inspired music, enemy design and an open world thats literally heavy metal album art? Hell fucking year, wait what are these rts mechanics for?"

Well then I might have to get a wii u then. If it was solid I would have bought one already. I really wish I could stop caring about frame rate so much.

Why do you care so much? Not a slight, it's a honest question.

For PC I can understand SOME justification, considering they're bloody expensive and gamers pay for the smooth look.

But console games are susceptible to framerate issues too.

I can only care if gameplay takes a hit.

360pages

If anything GAF had shown me, the whole 18-34 age demo video games are targeted for past adolescence isn't mature enough to argue on something's merits and flaws, myself included.

Huge generalization I know, but I'd be lying if I didn't have at least one argument on GAF that wasn't guided by emotion instead of merit/logic.

I always don't want to think about the whiny manchild, but I keep coming back to that stereotype.

Gaming is the youngest of entertainment. We are barely 35 years old if you think about it. There are a lot of reasons why gamers are the way that they are. Make a bad movie, people will rip on it for a week, and maybe never let you live it down. Make a bad game and people might send you death threats.

Though this might be because gaming as a whole is far more chained to internet culture then say movies or books. That is not a good thing.

Why do you care so much? Not a slight, it's a honest question.

For PC I can understand SOME justification, considering they're bloody expensive and gamers pay for the smooth look.

But console games are susceptible to framerate issues too.

I can only care if gameplay takes a hit.

Im so used to PC at this point that I require 60 at this point for fps, tps and character action games. I tried playing last of us again on ps3 and I could barely play it.

Oh shit it's Clinkz.

*brooklyn Kurtz

Xiraiya

For character action games and fps games, yup. Rising on PC spoiled me too much.

I've heard this a lot with people, that they basically can't even play character action games unless the framerate is virtually perfect.
Personally I've never understood it, I mean yeah of course you want it to be good, but dips here and there, or a stable 30 or something shouldn't affect you that much, you just adapt and you'll still do fine.

Squishy3

I'm playing Brutal Legend for the first time today and.. Wow.. This is disappointing. I was hoping it would be a Jack Black Character Action Game but NOPE it's fucking tower defence. Ugh why Tim Schafer...
It has more in common with RTS than tower defense. It was also supposed to be multiplayer only originally and then got single player added in. I still love it and while the singleplayer is half-baked I legitimately enjoyed the multiplayer.

Jman014

Im so used to PC at this point that I require 60 at this point for fps, tps and character action games. I tried playing last of us again on ps3 and I could barely play it.

*brooklyn Kurtz

Kind of like how I went from playing fps on consoles using controllers to playing fps on PC with mouse and keyboard. Currently I can't go back to playing fps on consoles.

I've heard this a lot with people, that they basically can't even play character action games unless the framerate is virtually perfect.
Personally I've never understood it, I mean yeah of course you want it to be good, but dips here and there, or a stable 30 or something shouldn't affect you that much, you just adapt and you'll still do fine.

Maybe I'm just over exaggerating, I never played a character action game with 60 and dips. I did play one that ran at 30 and I couldn't play it for more then like 2 and half hours.

Kind of like how I went from playing fps on consoles using controllers to playing fps on PC with mouse and keyboard. Currently I can't go back to playing fps on consoles.

I have no fucking clue how any one can play a shooter with a controller. I died so god damn much playing the last of us on a DS3 that it became embarrassing.

croten

Stable 30 for a Character action game? No way. A Character action games frame rate is almost as important as a Fighting games. I, personally, can handle frame drops if they are above 30, any lower and it can fuck off. Either way bayo 2 has been getting great reviews so I would expect a decent frame rate anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom