• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

I've never seen Terraformars, but this is just a different set of basic ideas about what art is. The author doesn't owe anyone anything and he makes it because he wants to, criticizing it is fine as well, but it doesn't mean that applying theory on what it means, makes it that.
No, its racist obviously supposed to be black cock roach people. Can stop playing dumb, because what it is.

You're accusing it of being racist, while saying it's because of how you interpret it that you see it that way, and it's not the author's intent. Does that mean you are criticizing the work itself and not the person responsible for everything the work is?
To the bolded.
If it isn't that sucks and maybe he should do it better. Life

To the rest

" you see it that wa... "
No its obvious, i refuse to believe you people who I believe to be intelligent are honestly trying to play dumb. I honestly hope you all don't honestly believe that isn't racist. Maybe you all are just pulling my leg.

Well, I'm calling that bullshit. Misinterpretation is not the author's problem, it's yours, the interpreter's. This is why I fucking hate the artistic community, they all think their opinion is so damn important. It's only important to you, artistic community! Get the fuck over yourselves!

The thing you quoted, states the opposite of that statement. You know that right,

I basically said, the artistic communities opinion does not matter its the viewers who does, because that what determines success.

What's stopping you?
Is it lewd?
Oh, you're talking about Neogaf avatar. What's stopping me here is shit tier internet.

I usually change my avatar daily, but this tour has been different. The internet has been extra shit the past couple of days. I'll just change it tomorrow, when I get home.

Oh, and lewd has never stopped me in the past. Learn the lore.

Zenfalcia

Being vocal about Terra Formers in this way may allow the author to say. (Wow that was some really racist shit, I'm not going to make that mistake again!)

Unless the the author intended it to be racist? It could be just a theme the author is using.

Oh, you're talking about Neogaf avatar. What's stopping me here is shit tier internet.

I usually change my avatar daily, but this tour has been different. The internet has been extra shit the past couple of days. I'll just change it tomorrow, when I get home.

Oh, and lewd has never stopped me in the past. Learn the lore.

Oh you mean PSN. Ok.. My bad.

Unless it was a NSFW picture that wasn't edited to make it SFW. Meaning you see dick, vagina or really anything NSFW

360pages

I consider interpretation and critique very different, if often confused, beasts. Quality and artistic theme aren't the same thing at all.

That really depends though, I know I wouldn't want to write anything that would be considered racist or offensive to others. I think I have a pretty good grasp of what is and isn't racist though. But at the same time it never hurts to get a different opinion.

It's not like the Cockroaches looks are that plot important, they easily could be changed and made less offensive if need be and the story could be told the same.

Of course at some point you just need to say fuck it and say I don't care. (Bayonetta recent thing) but how Bayo acts and presented is pretty important to her character.

The Cockroaches looks are not.

I main Little Mac. The salt would only increase.

It's settled, whenever we get in arguments we have to play Little Mac mirrors.

If we gang up on Village we'd all get banned tho

Note that I am joking, and that I'm not trying to sound like his argument means anything less based on the number of people on one side or the other.

Also I still am waiting for that superior Wii U version. The hype is still real for me. And I get that they were somewhat misinformed about this on th podcast earlier.

Hah yeah, it's certainly something to be discussed.

And my hype is wavering on the Wii U version, I need that Direct to dash away my fears that it won't have lots of content ;_;

360pages

Unless the the author intended it to be racist? It could be just a theme the author is using.

Oh you mean PSN. Ok.. My bad.

Unless it was a NSFW picture that wasn't edited to make it SFW. Meaning you see dick, vagina or really anything NSFW

To be fair Code Geass never really portrayed Racism in a positive light and went to great length to show how stupid and showed those who were for it in an obvious negative light most of the time.

Terra Formers have Cockroaches who are portrayed as monstrous creatures and as the villains of the story. While our good looking heroes kill these horrible monsters while their love ones are brutally killed by them.

Of course...if the Author really wanted to be racist, I guess I can't say anything.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKFUCK FUCK GUCKFUKC FUCK FUXK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUFCKCFUCKFUCKFUCKFUFKFUFXK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK DUCK FUCK FUCK

I AM NOT OK AFTER THAT

If it isn't that sucks and maybe he should do it better. Life
[Note, again, that I have not actually read/seen this source material.]
You're mad because he made something that's misinterpreted? Author's intent is what matters, like I was trying to say/agree with Combos.

If you think differently, that the author/story(?) is accountable for what anyone thinks about their work, we're arguing from very different viewpoints, and so that's not very productive.
Edit: Well i saw your edit too late. Oh well.
It'sfine.png

Code Geass has some heavy "Japan is awesome" stuff in there, despite the situation being the fall of Japan, it's about fighting for its return to glory for some characters.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKFUCK FUCK GUCKFUKC FUCK FUXK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUFCKCFUCKFUCKFUCKFUFKFUFXK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK DUCK FUCK FUCK

I AM NOT OK AFTER THAT
We love you, it's ok! Get this man a e-hug stat.

joe2187

Banned
Alright I get home and finally my Senran Kagura arrived.

only this happens rarely but ive had it happen many times before actually, They sent me two copies of the same product.

I have an extra "Lets get physical" Shinovi versus that I wasnt charged for.

Thanks amazon, the last time they did this was when I bought Ys Celceta.

Is your brain full of fuck?

You're mad because he made something that's misinterpreted? Author's intent is what matters, like I was trying to say/agree with Combos.

If you think differently, that the author/story(?) is accountable for what anyone thinks about their work, we're arguing from very different viewpoints, and so that's not very productive.

It'sfine.png

Code Geass has some heavy "Japan is awesome" stuff in there, despite the situation being the fall of Japan, it's about fighting for its return to glory for some characters.

We love you, it's ok! Get this man a e-hug stat.
YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT
THAT WAS THE SINGLE MOST INSPIRATIONAL AND MOST FUCKING DEPRESSING THING IVE EVER SEE

only this happens rarely but ive had it happen many times before actually, They sent me two copies of the same product.

Nice! You got two times the Life and Hometown now. What are you going to do with your copy?

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT
THAT WAS THE SINGLE MOST INSPIRATIONAL AND MOST FUCKING DEPRESSING THING IVE EVER SEE

You love it. I suggest you go watch that 7 minute Evangelion explanation video. It'll help answer some questions you have. Then it's off to the Rebuilds.
Which i haven't watched yet.

MrHoot

Mike confirmed for ultimate alpha asshole

Escape from Bug Island went from "the fuck is this shit" to "the fuck is this shit I HAVE to see more of it". The entire last part made it go from goofy to amazing and goofy

Zenfalcia

To be fair Code Geass never really portrayed Racism in a positive light and went to great length to show how stupid and showed those who were for it in an obvious negative light most of the time.

Terra Formers have Cockroaches who are portrayed as monstrous creatures and as the villains of the story. While our good looking heroes kill these horrible monsters while their love ones are brutally killed by them.

Of course...if the Author really wanted to be racist, I guess I can't say anything.

But it does have racism as a theme. Just brining it up that's all.

It's just one side vs another. It could be seen as racist. One race portrayed as good and the other evil.

I AM NOT OK AFTER THAT

crazy-laughter.jpg

Did you rike it?

Village

The author's intent does not matter when it comes to public perception, if he fucked up he fucked up. That is life, this is again first thing they teach you in art school. It don't matter what you meant to do it matters what you did. Either you learn from, don't or blame the audience tow which then you just become squidward. ( the last part I added )

I'm upset because its obviously racist. I'm upset you are playing metal gymnastics to convince yourself it isn't or at least convince me somehow it isn't . No black that obviously black cockroachers totally aren't racist stereotypes.

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT
For me it felt more like a slow burn. Obviously you've become somewhat emotionally invested. Thanks for those updates along the way too man, they were really interesting.
Ok guys, pick my fate. Monster or Eva
EVA unless you dislike deconstruction and the idea of something horribly depressing, otherwise Monster is kinda straightforward, but pretty good and still somewhat dark.

Eva is shorter so Eva. Prepare for mindfucks.
I've been meaning to get around to Eva for a while now and hearing them talk about it more on the podcast piqued my interest, I'll start it after I finish this last part of Bug Island
Eva is my favorite thing ever, so I will always say that. But as others have said, it'll leave you broken.

What would Aaron say?

I say Evangelion.

For me it felt more like a slow burn. Obviously you've become somewhat emotionally invested. Thanks for those updates along the way too man, they were really interesting.

EVA unless you dislike deconstruction and the idea of something horribly depressing, otherwise Monster is kinda straightforward, but pretty good and still somewhat dark.
Yup Eva it is

Alfebit

Banned

Gift it to a friend who needs some Hometown in their Life.

360pages

But it does have racism as a theme. Just brining it up that's all.

It's just one side vs another. It could be seen as racist. One race portrayed as good and the other evil.

Did you rike it?

The main difference is that most of the sides in Code Geass are usually shown rather even. Our main character is British, and a lot of good characters in the series are British and all aren't evil assholes.

Most of the school characters are shown to be nice and don't even care that Suzaku is Japanese. (Other then Nina, but she's a horrible person) This is how you portray something like that.

Though as someone who really values diversity in story and characters when he writes. It might be just seeing something like that kind of peeves me. I will say that Terra Formers makes me uncomfortable, but I don't think that the author was trying to be racist with it...I think that's just how it ended up as.

The main difference is that most of the sides in Code Geass are usually shown rather even. Our main character is British, and a lot of good characters in the series are British and all aren't evil assholes.

Most of the school characters are shown to be nice and don't even care that Suzaku is Japanese. (Other then Nina, but she's a horrible person) This is how you portray something like that.

Though as someone who really values diversity in story and characters when he writes. It might be just seeing something like that kind of peeves me. I will say that Terra Formers makes me uncomfortable, but I don't think that the author was trying to be racist with it...I think that's just how it ended up as.

Code Geass is a pretty straightforward good vs. evil conflict where one of the evil group's evil qualities is racism. It's a theme, but it's hardly the focus. That series is mostly about control and how much of it is okay vs. how much of it isn't.

So I've spent the last couple hours putting together a Youtube playlist of my favorite game music. Thoughts? Definitely not done yet, but definitely getting to the point where I'm slowing down a bit, so most of my absolute favorites are there.

Get Go Straight and City Escape in there and you've got yourself a playlist.

So I've spent the last couple hours putting together a Youtube playlist of my favorite game music. Thoughts? Definitely not done yet, but definitely getting to the point where I'm slowing down a bit, so most of my absolute favorites are there.
You got obscure stuff, as well as the best things ever. Throw in Misterious Destiny

You and I have just become bitter rivals.

I will defend the show ending to my grave.
I still just like both. I second everybody else, I wanna rewatch EVA

360pages

Code Geass is a pretty straightforward good vs. evil conflict where one of the evil group's evil qualities is racism. It's a theme, but it's hardly the focus. That series is mostly about control and how much of it is okay vs. how much of it isn't.

True, but it was a major theme over all.

But I also doubt Terra Formers themes is about racism at all, and more about people fighting monsters. Which goes back to the question of why he even designed the Cockroaches like that at all?

I know he probably didn't mean to be offensive, but maybe you know, you could have an editor or some one say. (Dude this might be a little racist,) I mean that is why we have editors and beta readers for EVERYTHING cut some stuff out, is it offensive? Does it need to look/ be like that. If no, then change/ cut that shit.

It might sound like some petty work and what not, but as long as it's not plot crucial or important to the character then you can change it. (I fail to see the point of the Cockroaches looking vaguely African American have anything to do with the plot,)

Then again, this is why we have editors, because trust me. Rarely is your first draft your best draft and getting other peoples opinions might help you catch something that doesn't make sense plot wise or could be offensive and change it.

When the author of Naruto is more self aware and conscious of the different races around the world and portrays them better, there really isn't an excuse for it.

So, I think I'm done with Bleach, the Excution arc started off somewhat interesting and then I got to episodes 362-364 and
Hey let's totally make Ichigo super powerful before we suddenly heel turn and reveal we were the bad guys all along, oh shit we fucked up that was a bad idea because him and his soul reaper friends are fuckin' up all our shit. This show has devolved to complete stupidity to the point where not even the fights are worth watching anymore.

Zenfalcia

but yes I did

Nice.

That they are. Also spoilers!
Does the british thing even come up that early? I don't remember. I bet most people here already watched it but still.

Maybe he intended it or maybe he didn't. We won't know. Unless someone asks him.

Well, good to see you've finished Eva, zedreamcast. I guess. Whether or not you'll still like it as much later on will depend (I know my opinion of that series has diminished somewhat over the years).

Now watch GaoGaiGar.

Hikare ni Nare!

Man, the fights in the Enies Lobby arc of One Piece are hype I don't even care what Pat says.

One Piece is at least better than Bleach at this point.

How acceptable is EVA's dub? Because I like to play videogames and watch shit simultaneously, and with some stuff that just isn't an option like JoJo or Ippo, but with other stuff it's the only way I can watch it because I'd never give it the time otherwise, like the third Transformers movie or the Walking Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom