• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfalcia

So it's decided. Tomorrow I will start watching Monster and SAO.
I will of course give you guys update on that
it doesn't matter if you don't care, I will do it anyway.

Good night everyone!

Enjoy the real monster known as
sword art.

Good night.

My real family. They love me. You guys just think my username is cool.

T-that's not true. B-baka.
Your username is cool though.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
He just got docked down the best friends teir list, I hope he not giving money to that racist shit.

Now I wouldn't call it racist. You may perceive it as that but I don't. Also, Liam showed the manga to Woolie and he liked it. He didn't even say it was racist.

Village

Now I wouldn't call it racist. You may perceive it as that but I don't. Also, Liam showed the manga to Woolie and he liked it. He didn't even say it was racist.

Woolie not thinking things are racist is something he gotta deal with. Not all black people are a hivemind and I am not content with racist bullshit. Cherrio - don't know why I wanted to say that but I felt like it

Racist against cockroaches?

Stop, Stop Stop

Don't play dumb you know what the fuck it is

Zenfalcia

Thank you both

No problem. There's more great tunes by Tom Follin, just look him up on youtube.

Ouch, shots fired! At least you're honest! Still, well cling to you like a woman to an abusive boyfriend.

also Fuck Yui and everything about her. Just the absolute worst character ever.

Everyone knows the
breast/
best character is
the not sister but actually cousin so it's not incest

Racist against cockroaches?
I've heard the argument that those things are modeled off of Homo Erectus, but given Japan's generally shit job of handling race, it should surprise no one that big, buff black humanoids with messed up faces can be perceived to be racist against black people. That's not even getting into how Terraformars does the "Japanese people are the bestest" thing.

Woolie not thinking things are racist is something he gotta deal with. Not all black people are a hivemind and I am not content with racist bullshit. Cherrio - don't know why I wanted to say that but I felt like it

Stop, Stop Stop

It honestly hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it. It's not like the typical way the Japanese depict black people, but I can see your point. Don't have to be so hostile tho.

I've heard the argument that those things are modeled off of Homo Erectus, but given Japan's generally shit job of handling race, it should surprise no one that big, buff black humanoids with messed up faces can be perceived to be racist against black people. That's not even getting into how Terraformars does the "Japanese people are the bestest" thing.
I'm usually quite privy to those kinda of things, being coloured myself (although not black). Guess the bugs were just about alien enough to not trigger a 'that's racist' response in me, although it was nice seeing all those smug assholes get torn to pieces (the humans,I mean).

Stop, Stop Stop

You, sir, are overreacting. That may sound apologist and dismissive to you, but that's because you're overreacting. The cockroaches aren't black people.

ultimax

result.jpg

All right guys i did it. already got messages from people saying "wtf is wrong with you" but fuck it

No, i'm not

Its racist, and you are trying to excuse it. I mean if that's your thing have fun with it.

Look, if there's one thing racists aren't known for, it's fucking subtlety. What's more likely, that this Japanese dude doesn't have much interaction with black people or get exposed to as much of the controversy as us and it didn't occur to him that these things look kinda like black people and conform to a few of the racist stereotypes about black people, or that he's a racist and this is some way of dehumanizing black people? What purpose would it serve? This is like calling Planet of the Apes racist because of the old eugenics bullshit that black people are closer to monkeys.

Village

Look, if there's one thing racists aren't known for, it's fucking subtlety. What's more likely, that this Japanese dude doesn't have much interaction with black people or get exposed to as much of the controversy as us and it didn't occur to him that these things look kinda like black people and conform to a few of the racist stereotypes about black people, or that he's a racist and this is some way of dehumanizing black people? What purpose would it serve? This is like calling Planet of the Apes racist because of the old eugenics bullshit that black people are closer to monkeys.

The bolded hasn't been an excuse... for years. and the latter that statement due to the series very ... japan da best doe themes, would not put it past em.

We are truly EverythingGaf.

I should update my avatar soon.
The one gaf to rule them all!

We've had nearly an entire OT of lewd stuff, endless waifu wars, we go through OTs at breakneck speeds and now sexism and racism debates in a single day! Truely our powers seem limitless. Are there any records yet left to break? Will we be the GAF that will pierce the heavens?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The one gaf to rule them all!

We've had nearly an entire OT of lewd stuff, endless waifu wars, we go through OTs at breakneck speeds and now sexism and racism debates in a single day! Truely our powers seem limitless. Are there any records yet left to break? Will we be the GAF that will pierce the heavens?
We already punch a hole through the heavens. Now we have to punch
time.
I don't its a thing to disagree about, but we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.
I don't think you're going to change your views anytime soon so yeah, let's not talk about it.

The bolded hasn't been an excuse... for years. and the latter that statement due to the series very ... japan da best doe themes, would not put it past em.

I'm one of those people who thinks authorial intent matters more than individual interpretation. In my opinion, you don't get to decide what shit means, the author does. So if that's what we're disagreeing on, then I won't say anything else about it.

Village

It's ingrained in their history and culture. That's my one cent. Not that it's right, but meh what can you do? Change them?

Hmm, man its so ingrained in their history in culture, well there goes my hope at respectible attempts of black people in Japanese fiction.

Wait there is, and it being ingrained in their culture is bullshit because the US is had some pretty messed up horrific raicts shit in its past, and can still create respectable good black characters.

Maybe you should stop excusing them and make them try

Misashi kishimoto did that shit with ease. Pokemon did it in a fell swoop. Here's black people. Hell your champion is a 10 year old black girl. Boom

Village

I'm one of those people who thinks authorial intent matters more than individual interpretation. In my opinion, you don't get to decide what shit means, the author does. So if that's what we're disagreeing on, then I won't say anything else about it.

That isn't how art works at all. When you release art out into the world, is it open to interpretation by people your intent means shit. That was the 1st thing I learned in art school, I can make whatever the fuck I want. If I bring it to critique, and no one understands it then that's my problem. I need make it better. That's what art is communication a language.

So when you say authorial intent matters, there is a good chunk of artist responding " the fuck are you even talking about, I wish " . If authorial intent matters platinum games wouldn't do shit numbers.

I don't think you're going to change your views anytime soon so yeah, let's not talk about it.

Its racist and directly offensive to me.
probably not

That isn't how art works at all. When you release art out into the world, is it open to interpretation by people your intent means shit. That was the 1st thing I learned in art school, I can make whatever the fuck I want. If I bring it to critique, and no one understands it then that's my problem. I need make it better. That's what art is communication a language.

I've never seen Terraformars, but this is just a different set of basic ideas about what art is. The author doesn't owe anyone anything and he makes it because he wants to, criticizing it is fine as well, but it doesn't mean that applying theory on what it means, makes it that.

You're accusing it of being racist, while saying it's because of how you interpret it that you see it that way, and it's not the author's intent. Does that mean you are criticizing the work itself and not the person responsible for everything the work is?

360pages

To be fair, Pokemon's handling of race even back in Gen 1 was pretty interesting. (I really still don't know what nationality Brock is,) but they had years of feed back to get more aware.

With that said the cockroaches deigns in Terra Formers are just shitty anyway, I have no idea what they were trying to do with them and I can think of far more disturbing and less potentially offensive deigns as well.

Well, I'm calling that bullshit. Misinterpretation is not the author's problem, it's yours, the interpreter's. This is why I fucking hate the artistic community, they all think their opinion is so damn important. It's only important to you, artistic community! Get the fuck over yourselves!

Got through Mission 6 in Alien Isolation in one sitting instead of two like the last one (though not without a few deaths). Still, if I can keep up a pace of one mission per day, I'll certainly finish this game before the end of the month. That last mission was so tense and stressful, but I'm starting to get accustomed to things. Well, as much as I can be...

What's going on in this thread...
Anything and everything.

Zenfalcia

Hmm, man its so ingrained in their history in culture, well there goes my hope at respectible attempts of black people in Japanese fiction.

Wait there is, and it being ingrained in their culture is bullshit because the US is had some pretty messed up horrific raicts shit in its past, and can still create respectable good black characters.

Maybe you should stop excusing them and make them try

Misashi kishimoto did that shit with ease. Pokemon did it in a fell swoop. Here's black people. Hell your champion is a 10 year old black girl. Boom

The US did and it even had a black rights movement, which changed all that. Japanese always had a screw everyone else history/culture. They dislike other races not just including black people.

I don't care that much though.

Not really.

I wish I could use a custom avatar.

What's stopping you?
Is it lewd?

360pages

Well, I'm calling that bullshit. Misinterpretation is not the author's problem, it's yours, the interpreter's. This is why I fucking hate the artistic community, they all think their opinion is so damn important. It's only important to you, artistic community! Get the fuck over yourselves!

To be fair how the community takes things and what not is very important. Unless you're saying that everything and anything is above all sort of critic. It's important how other people view your work and the flaws or offenses that they find in them.

After all, unless you're doing it for yourself, you are submitting your work for others to enjoy. And despite how some artist say you should ignore everyone else and just write, I think other people's opinions and how they impact you is valuable about getting better and being more aware next time.

Being vocal about Terra Formers in this way may allow the author to say. (Wow that was some really racist shit, I'm not going to make that mistake again!)

These guys need to settle it in Smash

If we gang up on Village we'd all get banned tho

Note that I am joking, and that I'm not trying to sound like his argument means anything less based on the number of people on one side or the other.

Also I still am waiting for that superior Wii U version. The hype is still real for me. And I get that they were somewhat misinformed about this on th podcast earlier.

To be fair how the community takes things and what not is very important. Unless you're saying that everything and anything is above all sort of critic. It's important how other people view your work and the flaws or offenses that they find in them.

After all, unless you're doing it for yourself, you are submitting your work for others to enjoy. And despite how some artist say you should ignore everyone else and just write, I think other people's opinions and how they impact you is valuable about getting better and being more aware next time.

Being vocal about Terra Formers in this way may allow the author to say. (Wow that was some really racist shit, I'm not going to make that mistake again!)

I consider interpretation and critique very different, if often confused, beasts. Quality and artistic theme aren't the same thing at all.

Zenfalcia

If we gang up on Village we'd all get banned tho

I thought we're trying to have a discussion.. Not really saying he's wrong. It is true Japan is very egocentric(i think it's the right word) and there are other examples you can use to show racism. It can be a theme in a story and it might even insult people. Like Code Geass is technically racist as it makes the Japanese into less than people, but it's the theme.

Edit: Well i saw your edit too late. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom