• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberon

Banned
Nintendo would have to be insane to even remotely consider that. It would be hilarious if that dude got his wish though.

I don't know man, Nintento has changed.
I mean how do to explain W101 being greenlitt?

Kamiya: Hey Iwata, I want make an 3d action game with Nintendo character
Iwata: Can you make it not Nintendo characters?
Kamiya: Sure
Iwata : Will it sale Wiius?
Kamiya: Ask your Mom!

I don't know man, Nintento has changed.
I mean how do to explain W101 being greenlitt?

Kamiya: Hey Iwata, I want make an 3d action game with Nintendo character
Iwata: Can you make it not Nintendo characters?
Kamiya: Sure
Iwata : Will it sale Wiius?
Kamiya: Ask your Mom!

Wut? Nintendo Inc is the most conservative of games companies.

Nintendo hasn't changed. It's protecting the significant amount of money it holds.

They do so much for one company and I always feel like the core gamers are always disrespectful and oblivious to that.

This is what I thought this entire thing was about.

I still dont understand what GamersGate is.

GG is something like Feminists vs Gamers with a dash of Journalistic integrity, I think?

I'm not even sure any more. I'm glad it's all congregated in one thread instead of clogging up the Gameside forums.

It should be addressed, but those same people call Bayo 2 sexist because of awkward camera angles, so I dont know anymore.

I think the problem is that Nintendo hasn't changed and they would never let their own characters get treated like that. There is no way.

It's part of why I love Ninty, they treat their characters with respect.
Except for Samus, but hopefully that gets better.

Sometimes I feel like an alien in regards to these situations, it's like everyone loves the fanservice and creepy stuff while I just don't at all. Why can't female characters just be.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
GG is something like Feminists vs Gamers with a dash of Journalistic integrity, I think?

I'm not even sure any more. I'm glad it's all congregated in one thread instead of clogging up the Gameside forums.

It should be addressed, but those same people call Bayo 2 sexist because of awkward camera angles, so I dont know anymore.
But why is it called GamerGate?

croten

Sometimes I feel like an alien in regards to these situations, it's like everyone loves the fanservice and creepy stuff while I just don't at all. Why can't female characters just be.

I'm with you there. Although I don't mind fanservice too much but when it's something on the level of Senran Kagura it just looks awful to me.

Oberon

Banned
Wut? Nintendo Inc is the most conservative of games companies.

Nintendo hasn't changed. It's protecting the significant amount of money it holds.

They do so much for one company and I always feel like the core gamers are always disrespectful and oblivious to that.

But we see much more Nintendo character appearing in other games, this generation more then the last one. I have to agree that they would never throw away their familyfriendly image for some quick money.

joe2187

Banned

Different strokes for different folks, dont feel bad about it.

I joke around about the creepy stuff, and I can enjoy it on a primal level, but I adore good, respected female characters. I have Heather Mason as my recurring avatar for a reason.

croten

But we see much more Nintendo character appearing in other games, this generation more then the last one. I have to agree that they would never throw away their familyfriendly image for some quick money.

Other than Bayonetta, which is a Nintendo game now, what other games?

I always assumed cause of watergate for some reason. They were bith scandals but unlike gamergate, watergate actually mattered.

I believe they thought it was a pretty big scandal, so they ripped off watergate, the biggest scandal in the US.

I believe so, but don't take my word for it.
This is the article in the OP of that thread that's recommended reading.

https://medium.com/@upstreamism/to-fair-minded-proponents-of-gamergate-7f3ce77301bb

Their first party games are borderline family friendly. I don't understand why everyone assume Nintendo only care about shit like Lego Batman. 3D Worlds is one of the more difficult Mario games I've ever played.

Just because an artstyle is over saturated or brightly colored doesn't make a game family friendly.

Okingjrr

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the Wii U? I didn't know Nintendo characters were in there

Dem costumes
Princess-Peach-Tekken-G3AR.jpg

The best summary of Gamergate I can comprehend is that it started off with some suspicious going-ons between review scores and undisclosed relationships, and has quickly spiraled out of control into MRA/Racist death threat land, with the loudest and most obnoxious members taking control of what could have been an interesting discussion to have.

Nope, can't have civility on the internet.

I believe they thought it was a pretty big scandal, so they ripped off watergate, the biggest scandal in the US.

An ex-boyfriend of the creator of Depression Quest wrote a long, angry blog post telling people what a shitty person she is and revealed that she has had relationships with people who reviewed her game positively, which is when people went "Wait a minute, wouldn't that mean that they were naturally inclined to react more positively to her game than they otherwise might have done?"

As you can imagine, rather than a discussion about journalistic integrity, it turned into a shitstorm of epic proportions almost immediately with Tumblr, 4chan and various e-celebrities getting involved in the matter.

It's honestly just top tier levels of celebrity gossip bullshit by now, but with more angry internet people yelling deaththreaths at each other.

Oberon

Banned
I believe so, but don't take my word for it.
This is the article in the OP of that thread that's recommended reading.

https://medium.com/@upstreamism/to-fair-minded-proponents-of-gamergate-7f3ce77301bb

Their first party games are borderline family friendly. I don't understand why everyone assume Nintendo only care about shit like Lego Batman. 3D Worlds is one of the more difficult Mario games I've ever played.

Just because an artstyle is over saturated or brightly colored doesn't make a game family friendly.

I don't use that word as an insult or anything.
To me, it doesn't mean easy. It's the way they present violent or sexual themes.
For example, I consider Monster Hunter Family friendly, even though it contains blood and death in it. Because you kill imaginary Monster and talk to cats.

If the goal was for people to hear about Depression Quest, I certainly did, played it, and I'm disappointed that The bar for publishing games has gone so low.

I don't use that word as an insult or anything.
To me, it doesn't mean easy. It's the way they present violent or sexual themes.
For example, I consider Monster Hunter Family friendly, even though it contains blood and death in it. Because you kill imaginary Monster and talk to cats.

Presenting sexual and violent themes in a different light doesn't mean that it Doesn't exists.

It's just a big gripe I have with people who discount Nintendo for everything they've done for video games to come back from the grave.

Xiraiya

An ex-boyfriend of the creator of Depression Quest wrote a long, angry blog post telling people what a shitty person she is and revealed that she has had relationships with people who reviewed her game positively, which is when people went "Wait a minute, wouldn't that mean that they were naturally inclined to react more positively to her game than they otherwise might have done?"

As you can imagine, rather than a discussion about journalistic integrity, it turned into a shitstorm of epic proportions almost immediately with Tumblr, 4chan and various e-celebrities getting involved in the matter.

It's honestly just top tier levels of celebrity gossip bullshit by now, but with more angry internet people yelling deaththreaths at each other.

The fact this started over one person's personal bullshit and has been going on this whole time just makes it that much more annoying.
I don't even know what the hell depression quest is, but I have a pretty good idea what it might involve with a name and creator like that.

360pages

Probably the reason I'm never going to be too deeply routed into gaming as a whole. Someone is always going to be complaining about something, while we have books and movies of all different types. (Sexual, non-sexual, violent, non-violent, ect) It seems that having a sexy game, will spell disaster for you.

It coming to the point, where the reason that games can't be considered art, isn't on the creators, but rather the consumers of games being too immature to respect different taste.

I mean, fifty shades of gray and twilight are horrible books. But I never really seen anyone called shit or names for enjoying them. Even when people are ripping them apart, they usually just try to keep it too the book.

If the goal was for people to hear about Depression Quest, I certainly did, played it, and I'm disappointed that The bar for publishing games has gone so low.

I don't believe it ever got published as a game. I would think that it would have been a smarter choice to make it a choose your own adventure book with a free music cd that you can listen to while you read.

Choose your own adventure books need to come back dammit.

croten

Probably the reason I'm never going to be too deeply routed into gaming as a whole. Someone is always going to be complaining about something, while we have books and movies of all different types. (Sexual, non-sexual, violent, non-violent, ect) It seems that having a sexy game, will spell disaster for you.

It coming to the point, where the reason that games can't be considered art, isn't on the creators, but rather the consumers of games being too immature to respect different taste.

I mean, fifty shades of gray and twilight are horrible books. But I never really seen anyone called shit or names for enjoying them. Even when people are ripping them apart, they usually just try to keep it too the book.

Seriously? I have and frequently too.

The fact this started over one person's personal bullshit and has been going on this whole time just makes it that much more annoying.
I don't even know what the hell depression quest is, but I have a pretty good idea what it might involve with a name and creator like that.

http://www.depressionquest.com/

I've played it twice. Apparently I have to embrace more friends and be more open with people, according to my ending.

It's insulting to me because I have episodes of depression with the shrink bills to prove it, but the very last thing I'd want to do is play a video game that would make me ever more depressed.

But the guy who aired this girl's and their relationship's personal baggage over nothing I hope bad things for. You don't air out dirty laundry in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom