• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an argument with a guy on here who said GOW3 was deeper than any DMC game.

Haven't had the opportunity to play anything but DmC Devil May Cry, but the fuck is he on?

Edit:
"There are more moves on the buttons." And I don't even know how true that is, since I only played the first God of War and mashed square-square-triangle the whole time.

There's really not, at least not in the first two games and I really didn't care about the third.

I guess the idea would be "how many button presses and stick motions are required to do super cool moves", right?

I'm a scrub at character action, even beating 3 on Dante Must Die I was dying every two seconds and had terrible rankings, but I'd say it's combo potential through the varied moves you have and what options you have to use them together, a high level timing and button memorization for the execution of those combos and enemy AI difficult enough to necessitate the use of those systems, otherwise the depth isn't important and you just press square-square-triangle.

I assumed the Dark Souls steam port would be good.

Out the box it's unplayable, but even with the Durante fix, the frame rate is all over the place and it has a bunch of bugs and shit. I honestly prefer the console version despite a slightly worse frame-rate in places, as it's more stable.

I'm a scrub at character action, even beating 3 on Dante Must Die I was dying every two seconds and had terrible rankings, but I'd say it's combo potential through the varied moves you have and what options you have to use them together, a high level timing and button memorization for the execution of those combos and enemy AI difficult enough to necessitate the use of those systems, otherwise the depth isn't important and you just press square-square-triangle.

That's all true, however, when I first got DMC4 all I did was mash attack and I still beat the game.

I assumed the Dark Souls steam port would be good.

You thought wrong.

I barely remember GOW 2. I remember the Hydra fight from GOW1 and the sex with 2 women QTE but for the most part GOW2 and 3 for me isn't memorable.

Out the box it's unplayable, but even with the Durante fix, the frame rate is all over the place and it has a bunch of bugs and shit. I honestly prefer the console version despite a slightly worse frame-rate in places, as it's more stable.

It's actually super playable. It's just a literal port of the console version. Locked to 720p/30fps.

Isn't the resolution completely fucked to the point where it's postage stamp without the fix? I was there when my friend loaded it up the first time and it didn't even really work.

No... sounds like something on your end. It's 720p locked, but you can set it to fullscreen and stuff like normal. There's not really any bugs either and while it's not as optimized as Dark 2, it runs decently.

For a port that was only made because we asked them to make a PC port, by people who don't make PC games, it's pretty amazing how good it is.

Archgan

The DS port was definitely playable. The resolution and fps were locked but it full-screened okay. The most annoying things about it for me were GFWL and that the mouse pointer would stay in the middle of the screen. Also, the unskippable logos.

The DS port was definitely playable. The resolution and fps were locked but it full-screened okay. The most annoying things about it for me were GFWL and that the mouse pointer would stay in the middle of the screen. Also, the unskippable logos.

Those are definitely the worst things, thankfully Durante totally fixed the pointer thing. That was actually what motivated me to find DSfix early on.

croten

I dual-wielded unique katanas, can't swap them out. I usually used that ring that decreases durability decay though.

Yeah so did I, but dual-wielding katanas never seemed very efficient. The damage output seemed to be the same as just two handing one katana instead.

demidar

Yeah so did I, but dual-wielding katanas never seemed very efficient. The damage output seemed to be the same as just two handing one katana instead.

Dual-wielding is shit in general. You're removing the ability to block with a shield for negligible damage gain relative to the fatigue cost, and you also sacrifice range since most two-handed weapons are large.

I just did it because I wanted to look cool, but it's a bad build.

croten

Dual-wielding is shit in general. You're removing the ability to block with a shield for negligible damage gain relative to the fatigue cost, and you also sacrifice range since most two-handed weapons are large.

I just did it because I wanted to look cool, but it's a bad build.

That was my reason too. "A cool new mechanic that makes using two weapons viable!" Nope.

I still don't use shields though. I have seen the light and it is shieldless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom