• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

I don't go into GB so I can't speak about that, but here's my take.

On one hand, Super Best Friends is a gaming related channel, and quite often games that have been played by SBF members be it on the channel or personally, are being discussed in this thread regardless of talking about SBF in particular or not.
So by that logic it made sense to me that it's in the gaming section.

However it is true much of this thread is often casual discussion that would be a bit of a stretch to regard as gaming discussion.
So us being moved doesn't bother me because you can interpret it either way, even if the core reason this particular community exists is because of games and people playing them.

I do think it's a little silly to get upset about the thread appearing on the front page and that post by "Monster Hunter", from my perspective at least had some clear aggressiveness behind it which I find curious.
So it's a tricky thing and I don't really think there is a wrong or right section for it as this thread applies to both pretty equally.

It died for real, the channel registration was removed.

If that IRC hadn't been just for lewd stuff we would've had an actual chatroom and it wouldn't be dead. As someone who uses IRC every day I thought that was actually quite a shame. It also didn't help that some people just couldn't/didn't want to figure out what it took to get going. Not that I ever tried to connect, but that was more because of the purpose of it. Makes it hard to pretend I don't read doujins. Also it was creepy.

I don't go into GB so I can't speak about that, but here's my take.

On one hand, Super Best Friends is a gaming related channel, and quite often games that have been played by SBF members be it on the channel or personally, are being discussed in this thread regardless of talking about SBF in particular or not.

So by that logic it made sense to me that it's in the gaming section.

However it is true much of this thread is often casual discussion that would be a bit of a stretch to regard as gaming discussion.

So us being moved doesn't bother me because you can interpret it either way, even if the core reason this particular community exists is because of games and people playing them.

I do think it's a little silly to get upset about the thread appearing on the front page and that post by "Monster Hunter", from my perspective at least had some clear aggressiveness behind it.

So it's a tricky thing and I don't really think there is a wrong or right section for it as this thread applies to both pretty equally

I don't think any of us were really upset. It was inevitable, but I'm glad the mods are consistent.

GB benefits from being a much larger organization than the Best Friends. They also benefit from having a recognized former journalist on hand who knows the reporting business.

We have Pat, Matt, Woolie, and Liam, who get their news the same way we do, but we trust their opinions and insights.

So because one group is incorporated means that their video game bullshit is seemingly more legitimate than the Best Friends. That bothered me the wrong way.

If that IRC hadn't been just for lewd stuff we would've had an actual chatroom and it wouldn't be dead. As someone who uses IRC every day I thought that was actually quite a shame. It also didn't help that some people just couldn't/didn't want to figure out what it took to get going. Not that I ever tried to connect, but that was more because of the purpose of it. Makes it hard to pretend I don't read doujins. Also it was creepy.
Mainly, for me, it was that I couldn't read the backlog and respond to it. I couldn't stay connected consistently enough.

GAF really needs a hide thread function. As well as a word filter.

I'd hang out in the IRC as well if it wasn't just for the lewd.

360pages

Honestly, gaming has slowly been pushed back as my secondary hobby next to writing. Mostly because the latter is cheaper and overall has less strings attached.

Honestly, gaming has slowly been pushed back as my secondary hobby next to writing. Mostly because the latter is cheaper and overall has less strings attached.

Gaming has fallen down mine too. I don't have the money or interest in most games. I play my JRPGs and anime games. The only big game I've been interested in this year is Evil Within and I'm renting a copy on Monday, but that'll probably be the last big game I play this year, aside from WWE 2K15 with my nephews.

360pages

Honestly the thing was an eyesore to me and if I really wanted to talk about that stuff there was another site I could go to anyway.

I mean it didn't look visually appealing at all, and it was a list of text that had names on it.

Gonna take a break

Narukami (Staryu) LV 18
Navi (Castform) LV 18
Issun (Heracross) LV 18
Snowmad (Walrein) LV 19

We bested many trainers on the way to Bill's castle. When we got there, Bill had been in quite a pickled. He had accidentally combined himself with a pokemon! He needed our help which we gladly gave.

He then introduced three wise men who gave Pizza, Headphones, and Motivation.

Shit like that is the whole reason I came to GAF. I used to lurk Gamefaqs and that shit was toxic. I have been seeing more and more threads that remind me of those recently.

How long ago? I dislike Gamefaqs and their toxic message board.

I told Margi about some of the really stupid things people would being threads over.

Im about to fall into a food coma and I dont think ill wake up
I pray for your health. Good temporary food comas are pretty sweet tho.
We went over this before, but almost nothing comes close to games for me. I'd sooner eat/live cheaper. I understand your decision though.
Shit like that is the whole reason I came to GAF. I used to lurk Gamefaqs and that shit was toxic. I have been seeing more and more threads that remind me of those recently.
It's fucking disgusting, but I'm convinced it's just the season right now. Not much happening other than Ubi pls and controversy #999.

Xiraiya

I don't think any of us were really upset. It was inevitable, but I'm glad the mods are consistent.

GB benefits from being a much larger organization than the Best Friends. They also benefit from having a recognized former journalist on hand who knows the reporting business.

We have Pat, Matt, Woolie, and Liam, who get their news the same way we do, but we trust their opinions and insights.
So because one group is incorporated means that their video game bullshit is seemingly more legitimate than the Best Friends. That bothered me the wrong way.
Yeah that's just egotistical nonsense at that point, I listen to the Giant Bombcasts and honestly it's not really all that different from the Super Best Friends, everyone has good opinions
except Liam
and information about stuff and I generally agree but sometimes I don't, I still enjoy listening to them both.

360pages

I told Margi about some of the really stupid things people would being threads over.

Gamefaqs is legit toxic, there are some good places here and there, but gaming forums as a whole aren't really that good compared to other hobbies.

Well, I got a Geodude, Nidoran Female, and a Tynamo to pick from.

Shit sucks.

Gamefaqs is legit toxic, there are some good places here and there, but gaming forums as a whole aren't really that good compared to other hobbies.
GameFaqs need better moderation. The community there is poisonous.

Yeah that's just egotistical nonsense at that point, I listen to the Giant Bombcasts and honestly it's not really all that different from the Super Best Friends, everyone has good opinions
except Liam
and information about stuff and I generally agree but sometimes I don't, I still enjoy listening to them both.

It isn't. It's no different from RT/AH either. I listen to RT/AH/Best Friends often. They're personalities I certainly enjoy who have no stake that can be as objective as possible.

RT/AH no so often, but hey with the Best Friends there's no issues of journalistic integrity.

Speaking of journalists!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134827264&postcount=10422

Dan's a Gaffer?

Shit sucks.

USE TACKLE!!!!!!

GEODUDE-BRO!

360pages

Shit sucks.

GameFaqs need better moderation. The community there is poisonous.

Don't bet on it, the reason I left Gamefaqs in the first place was because a legit troll was well...trolling pretty hard. Took it up with one of the mods and said they flat out don't care if people troll.

That's when I tapped out.

Baled out of Gamefaqs around Aug of last year but just lurked GAF until the 1st Best Friends thread started.

I go to Gamefaqs every once in awhile and it is just people shitting on games. I keep seeing essentially the gaming equivalent of "I hate the bands you like." Been seeing more of that here too. That is why I stick mainly to this thread. I dont post that much though.

Honestly the thing was an eyesore to me and if I really wanted to talk about that stuff there was another site I could go to anyway.

I mean it didn't look visually appealing at all, and it was a list of text that had names on it.

That's IRC for ya, it's older than the internet and also what hackers use to communicate when they don't want to be found.

Too late, I already picked up Col Volgin, the Tynamo.

It has Illusion as it's ability. Lol.

volgin-grip-o.gif

The gamefaqs message boards are shit, but they're good for finding very specific information. There's always at least one person that's asking the same question you are. I definitely won't spend more time than I have to though.

I felt like GAF has solved most of those problems already.

Anung

Un Rama
Man, I was actually talking to Liam on Twitter. I made a throwaway comment about VitaTV and the he straight up started recommending me vita games to play and shooting the shit about stuff. Was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom