• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutti

Quick question, why do you guys dislike Naruto so much?

I mean, from the sound of it, a lot of you haven't seen much of it. Did it just not click with you? Or was it grating? It's long as hell, so I understand dismissing it soon. But at the same time...

I have read all of it. I really dislike the main cast and the plot that surrounds them.
I hate the way that the thing revolves around two clans and their predecessors.I don't like that the series with so much potential with political and military stuff just went with dude/lady taking over the world. Orochimaru was a good creepy villain and he got replaced way too early.

I could bitch about it more but it's not worth it.

I guess it's due to the fact that I've been following it for nearly 10 years. So there's that.

What I hate is that the manga is kind of confusing and it goes back and forth between flashback and not flashback so much that it can be hard to tell when anything is happening. It also runs into the issue of the word bubbles not matching up perfectly with who should be talking. But the anime is so drawn out and poorly animated most of the time that it's just as bad.

There's no good way to enjoy Naruto!

But yeah, any shonen anime would be way better if it had a Kai version. One Piece especially.

360pages

I have read all of it. I really dislike the main cast and the plot that surrounds them.
I hate the way that the thing revolves around two clans and their predecessors.I don't like that the series with so much potential with political and military stuff just went with dude/lady taking over the world. Orochimaru was a good creepy villain and he got replaced way too early.

I could bitch about it more but it's not worth it.

That I can agree with.

Even though Naruto's ending, I honestly feel that we haven't even scratched the surface of the world. It feels like everything was so closed off from the Second Arc on. I thought I would see them traveling to places and meeting new people.

Doesn't help that Sakura is a waste of a slot on the main team since she had no abilities in the first half of the series and in the second half of the series her abilities are just hitting things really hard. So we never really got to see anything awesome from her.

360pages

What I hate is that the manga is kind of confusing and it goes back and forth between flashback and not flashback so much that it can be hard to tell when anything is happening. It also runs into the issue of the word bubbles not matching up perfectly with who should be talking. But the anime is so drawn out and poorly animated most of the time that it's just as bad.

There's no good way to enjoy Naruto!

But yeah, any shonen anime would be way better if it had a Kai version. One Piece especially.

I think the art style while being somewhat generic has a certain charm to it. Something the Anime kills very harshly. What's funny is Naruto Part 1 anime is actually pretty good (Before the 4 seasons of filler) But Part 2 anime is like they didn't give a shit anymore.

I mean, from the sound of it, a lot of you haven't seen much of it. Did it just not click with you? Or was it grating? It's long as hell, so I understand dismissing it soon. But at the same time...

Never caught my interest I guess.

I grew up around yu-yu, DBZ, gundam, robotech(Macross), samurai jack, and tons of show that held my interest much longer than Naruto could.

Being a Hokage just wasn't my thing.

I love Naruto. But I hate it more. Primarily it's not even that's it's the worst thing ever, it has really high points and really low points that kind of cancel each other out, but more than anything that I hate about Naruto, I hate the wasted potential. Naruto could have been the best, following these character's lives from first becoming Ninjas all the way to being front runners in the Ninja World War sounds fucking incredible, but there's so much sloppy execution that it makes it super easy to dislike.

For all of the likable characters with cool ninja powers doing cool fights, there are an equal if not greater amount of boring and lame characters with boring and lame powers having boring and lame fights filled with flashbacks and exposition. The super highs are hundreds of episodes between, the average highs aren't actually all that high, and the average level of quality throughout is either completely mediocre or just outright boring and lame.

Goddamn, way to sum that up. I'm gonna just copy-paste this for myself whenever anyone asks now.

Actually I tend to enjoy the One Piece anime, as I find the manga extremely confusing to read sometimes.

Fact: Squid often swim together in spite of the danger of cannibalism, probably because of the trade off of sentinels watching for predators.
You nerds are going to learn something too today.

Rutti

That I can agree with.

Even though Naruto's ending, I honestly feel that we haven't even scratched the surface of the world. It feels like everything was so closed off from the Second Arc on. I thought I would see them traveling to places and meeting new people.

Doesn't help that Sakura is a waste of a slot on the main team since she had no abilities in the first half of the series and in the second half of the series her abilities are just hitting things really hard. So we never really got to see anything awesome from her.

To me the best parts of the show currently are the flashbacks to previous generations and every time I see one I think I want to see more stuff from those times.
That Madara and Hashimara childhood stuff was really good and felt like different manga. The part where Hashimara stabbed Madara in the back was the hypest shit.

Actually I tend to enjoy the One Piece anime, as I find the manga extremely confusing to read sometimes.

I greatly prefer the anime, since the music and voice acting are all incredible, and the biggest fight finished are goddamn mindblowing in the anime, but I'll be damned if that shit ain't drawn out to all fuck. So many panning shots, so many episodes of nothing happening just to fill time. It's really unfortunate.

croten

I watched 100 episodes that should be enough to not like it. I just thought it was boring and that was when I was young and impressionable with low standards.

I greatly prefer the anime, since the music and voice acting are all incredible, and the biggest fight finished are goddamn mindblowing in the anime, but I'll be damned if that shit ain't drawn out to all fuck. So many panning shots, so many episodes of nothing happening just to fill time. It's really unfortunate.

That's why you have those summary episodes. They are godlike.

It's got the same problems as DBZ does, and all Naruto really needs to be awesome is Naruto Kai. Think about how sick that would be!

360pages

To me the bezst parts of the show currently are the flash backs to previous generations and every time I see one I think I want to see more stuff from those times.
That Madara and Hashimara childhood stuff was really good and felt like different manga. The part where Hashimara stabbed Madara in the back was the hypest shit.

The sad part is, while Naruto is an okay character he really needed a more interested supporting cast.

Sasuke was alright in part 1, but he went to a shit tier character in part 2 and don't get me started with Sakura.

Actually team 7 main problem is that they are surround by people who are far more interesting in their class then they are. Not just as characters, but with interesting abilities. Though when we have two Sasuke retrieval arcs and the only team that gets any team is Shikimaru's team we have a problem.

The sad part is, while Naruto is an okay character he really needed a more interested supporting cast.

Sasuke was alright in part 1, but he went to a shit tier character in part 2 and don't get me started with Sakura.

Actually team 7 main problem is that they are surround by people who are far more interesting in their class then they are. Not just as characters, but with interesting abilities. Though when we have two Sasuke retrieval arcs and the only team that gets any team is Shikimaru's team we have a problem.

Shikimaru is my favorite character because he's as uninterested in Naruto's problems as I am.

Magikarp from the Ranch above Route 20.

Eh, I hope it gets a good stat roll.

And I fucked up the rom. I'm not using random abilities.

I kinda want to reset, but this is the best start I've had.

I had to know what this was for some reason, so after a quick search, I found this anime is called Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru.

tumblr_ndhxpj6VoN1tf8mq6o1_400.gif

360pages

I think Dragon Ball managed to avoid a lot of problems that Z and other shonen have because there is always something interesting going on. Even if it's 130 EP. There are like 7-9 story arcs. And no story arc last more than around 15-20 EP.

Aww man. I've been thinking about doing PC demos for awhile but didn't want to start this month because of the Halloweeny episodes I've been doing. Guess it's good I don't matter so people wont say "TWO BEST FRIENDS DID IT!"

So I have beat the Gym and defeated Team Rocket once again.

My Team:

Issun (Heracross) LV27
Navi (Castform) LV 28
Snowmad (Walrein) LV 29
Nashandra (Nidoqueen) LV 28
Izanagi (Jolteon) LV 29

Really happy with my team. I really did underestimate how fucking awesome Navi is. I am going to go kill a Snorlax and go to Fuschia City.

Edit: I need a video game base nickname for a male Snorlax

So I have beat the Gym and defeated Team Rocket once again.

My Team:

Issun (Heracross) LV27
Navi (Castform) LV 28
Snowmad (Walrein) LV 29
Nashandra (Nidoqueen) LV 28
Izanagi (Jolteon) LV 29

Really happy with my team. I really did underestimate how fucking awesome Navi is. I am going to go kill a Snorlax and go to Fuschia City.

Edit: I need a video game base nickname for a male Snorlax
Fatman.

The best Metal Gear villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom