• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about characters and writing makes me wonder about my own writing most of the time. Since I decide a characters personality and backstory before I decide their gender. It's kind of weird.

that is the way i have always thought it should be done,
puting too much emphasis on a chracters gender early in their creation tends to lead to them falling into less interesting tropes of that gender as opposed to being their own unique character

360pages

Aw man. I wanna go to Japan!!!!!!

" See you later fuckers"

The show makes fun of Shojo Manga and those romance tropes aren't the gender you think they are. Give it a watch, only 12 episodes.

I might give it a watch even though I'm back up as all hell between writing and other series.

Anung

Un Rama
IMG_4101_zps228684ee.jpg

IMG_4079_zpsb0437851.jpg

Life sized Eva head!

360pages

that is the way i have always thought it should be done,
puting too much emphasis on a chracters gender early in their creation tends to lead to them falling into less interesting tropes of that gender as opposed to being their own unique character

I try to balance out the roster of characters. So gender is merely for. (How many males/females do I have on the group?)

I actually never read too much of berserk. I'm not sure if I can handle impaled babies. Though if you could describe her character and what she want, I'm happy to listen. Though take my opinion with a grain of salt. I should never be listened to or anything like that.

during the whole golden age arc she is a female warrior in the same mercenary group as the other protagonist's. basically her goal is to be a successful part of the group in a world were men don't take women very seriously, especially on the battlefield.

stuff that happens with her later would be far to spoilerish to easily detail.

also i would highly recommend reading berserk.

I try to balance out the roster of characters. So gender is merely for. (How many males/females do I have on the group?)

same thing i do, im currently writing a short film which has an equal amount of each gender despite having 5 characters, and that limitation actually led me to coming up with a much more unique and interesting idea for the 5th character.

360pages

I realized I really need to cut back on my Dialog tags. When you go back to a chapter and realize that there should be less in it then it's a problem.

Oberon

Banned
All this talk about characters and writing makes me wonder about my own writing most of the time. Since I decide a characters personality and backstory before I decide their gender. It's kind of weird.

I personnaly don't like that. Our gender like it or not actually matter, unless you write it in an utopian world where Gender roles, or genetic difference don't existe.

For example Caska

Berserk takes place in a fictional land in the middle ages. And Caska is a female warrior. And they actually adress the problems of Women in such situation. For example, one day she's on her period, but she still goes to battlefield and has to be saved by Guts. He tells her that the enemy doesn't care that she's a women, and her women problem. If she's sick or not ready for battle, she shoulndn't go. There's a point where she says that she doesn't like wearing "Mens clothes" but they're better fitted for the battle ( she says that while wearing a dress) And even though she's a women she's still better then most other sword fighters.
I think what really impresses me is that she was written in the 80s by a japanese autor.
I am sorry that this might be written weardly, but english isn't my first language, and don't write that much.

Wow, they give you the flamethrower waaaay too early in Isolation. I feel too empowered now that I can just scare off the Alien with a single burst. Hope the ammo is really scarce.

I personnaly don't like that. Our gender like it or not actually matter, unless you write it in an utopian world where Gender roles, or genetic difference don't existe.

For example Caska

Berserk takes place in a fictional land in the middle ages. And Caska is a female warrior. And they actually adress the problems of Women in such situation. For example, one day she's on her period, but she still goes to battlefield and has to be saved by Guts. He tells her that the enemy doesn't care that she's a women, and her women problem. If she's sick or not ready for battle, she shoulndn't go. There's a point where she says that she doesn't like wearing "Mens clothes" but they're better fitted for the battle ( she says that while wearing a dress) And even though she's a women she's still better then most other sword fighters.
I think what really impresses me is that she was written in the 80s by a japanese autor.
I am sorry that this might be written weardly, but english isn't my first language, and don't write that much.
I totally agree. Gender isn't something to base the character on from the start, but it is a part of who they are.

360pages

For example Caska

I understand where you're coming from, though just because gender really doesn't come in with a creation of a character doesn't mean they don't have female traits. I think it's more of a balance. Though at the same time, would you really fault a man for acting anyway.

This kind of comes back to the problem female characters face. Male characters can act any way they want and just be viewed as characters. If a male character wants to act slightly feminine then he can.

However if a female character is to masculine some people will denounce her for not representing her gender. Despite the fact that might just be her character.

Seriously, you assholes fucking suck. Humanity evolved on Earth, and you BARELY evolved from humanity. You not only have no right to attack humanity, you are betraying your parent race.

Oberon

Banned
I understand where you're coming from, though just because gender really doesn't come in with a creation of a character doesn't mean they don't have female traits. I think it's more of a balance. Though at the same time, would you really fault a man for acting anyway.

This kind of comes back to the problem female characters face. Male characters can act any way they want and just be viewed as characters. If a male character wants to act slightly feminine then he can.

However if a female character is to masculine some people will denounce her for not representing her gender. Despite the fact that might just be her character.

This raises the quiestion, how would you describe a male character that acts feminine?

For example Caska

That idea can depend a whole lot on the context of the story. a female character would be effected in this way a whole lot more in medieval England than in say a futuristic setting were all fighting is done with psychic powers and giant robots.
not to say their gender should be dismissed, but the context and subject matter of a story will always have a large impact on the importance of any characters gender.

Wow, they give you the flamethrower waaaay too early in Isolation. I feel too empowered now that I can just scare off the Alien with a single burst. Hope the ammo is really scarce.
Thing is, you're just gonna make it more pissed and aggressive if you use it as your first option every time. I'm near the end of the game, and I barely have any fuel left because of the damn thing constantly hounding me.

Frankly, after going through the hell that was medsci, I didn't mind being given some more tools to work with.

Oberon

Banned
That idea can depend a whole lot on the context of the story. a female character would be effected in this way a whole lot more in medieval England than in say a futuristic setting were all fighting is done with psychic powers and giant robots.
not to say their gender should be dismissed, but the context and subject matter of a story will always have a large impact on the importance of any characters gender.

Well if you go with a futuristic setting, you should at least give good enough reasons why gender roles don't exist anymore. I am sorry, "it's the future and people have learned about tolerance" is kind of a copp out.
Didn't Aaron write something about wrestling women in the future, because they aren't any men around? Having just of the one sexes could be a solution.

Well if you go with a futuristic setting, you should at least give good enough reasons why gender roles don't exist anymore. I am sorry, "it's the future and people have learned about tolerance" is kind of a copp out.

What? No it's not. Why the fuck would you need to write a specific reason why gender roles are gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom