• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

As I recall, Legend of Korra no longer has gender roles. I think just having them in unless it's an important thing seems kind of pointless. Hell, a lot of stories don't bring it up, because not every story need to do such a thing.

Oberon

Banned
This raises the quiestion, how would you describe a male character that acts feminine?

A character depending on how well they are written. Not a character I prefer but I won't say they should have been female.

I have read this multiple times, but I don't get what you mean. Could you give me a clear example of a character that is male and acts feminine?

The closes example I would think is anybody in Jojo.

Mhm, I don't really see that in any jojo character. Joseph or Jotaro are definitely not feminine. In my eyes Fabulous =/= feminine

What? No it's not. Why the fuck would you need to write a specific reason why gender roles are gone?

I mean that gender roles influence a lot of people, so taking them away would change the behavior of the character a lot. It's also partially due to my dislike of "it's the future! everything is possible if the plot demands it"

As I recall, Legend of Korra no longer has gender roles. I think just having them in unless it's an important thing seems kind of pointless. Hell, a lot of stories don't bring it up, because not every story need to do such a thing.

I haven't watched LoK yet so I can't comment on that. Yeah most don't bring it up, but where do gender role start? Does a girl want that want to be pretty just a victime of gender roles imposed by society? Or does she actually just want it?
It's 2 AM, I am too tired to discuss this.

Good night!

Well if you go with a futuristic setting, you should at least give good enough reasons why gender roles don't exist anymore. I am sorry, "it's the future and people have learned about tolerance" is kind of a copp out.
Didn't Aaron write something about wrestling women in the future, because they aren't any men around? Having just of the one sexes could be a solution.

i think your getting to caught up in the specific example, i just wanted to say that gender roles arnt inherently important to a story, its the context and setting that would make them important.

360pages

Well it depends on a character. I actually think we need more shallow female characters. The ones that care about their looks a little too much and like things, but on the flip side still make them a good character.

A bad example of this, and I'm know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this is Asami from Legend of Korra. She's rich and likes make-up and what not, but she has no bad points whatsoever. She is just a pretty girl that happens to be rich. How she was raised didn't change her at all.

A good example of this character is. Yai Ayanokoji? from Megaman battle network or Luviagelita Edelfelt from the Fate series.

They are both rich characters that value elegance and what not and somewhat shallow at times. But they still have a good heart that try to do the best they can for their friends, they are still spoiled and somewhat shallow, but that doesn't make them auto bad people that need to change their ways.

Accepting your flaws is far more important then trying to change them sometimes.

Emouse

Do I need to play 1 in order to play 2? Is the gameplay the same or at least feel the same?

As far as I remember it plays exactly the same, just a few tweaks that make it better, I'd reccomend playing 1 for backstory purposes, it's fairly short when I played it back on PS2 I think I cleared it in around 2 hours on the easy setting

In the future, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that gender discrimination and gender roles would be completely gone. In 100 years, feminism has accomplished some ridiculously awesome stuff, and I don't see why in another 100 years it won't just have disappeared. Why's there gotta be a specific reason separate from societal progress?

By Episode 3 of Ippo I have been converted. This is the best. This the same awesome mix of fighting and comedy I could ask for from anything.

Hearing that this only gets better, is fucking crazy.

We're talking about sexism? Alright.

I don't prefer it.

There's my controversial stance.

Also, I actually have plans to get Gurren Lagann, Evangelion and Hellsing tattoos.

Do I need to play 1 in order to play 2? Is the gameplay the same or at least feel the same?
Just skip the first one, it's really not worth the time.

ZOE 2 has better characters and more diversity in objectives compared to the first, but some of them are a bit tedious and not great. The last fourth is pretty damn awesome, though.

croten

God no, not a fan of tattoos. If I so desperately wanted to carry something gurren related on me, I'd buy simon's drill necklace or something (which I won't).

Never anything permanent.

I agree, I don't like Tattoos but a Gurren tattoo tempts me just a little. You should totally get a drill necklace, I have one. In fact I'm wearing it right now.

By Episode 3 of Ippo I have been converted. This is the best. This the same awesome mix of fighting and comedy I could ask for from anything.

Hearing that this only gets better, is fucking crazy.

Episode 3? Isn't he still just boxing in a gym? Just wait.

Tattoos, eh? Interesting. Alright, lets say you were forced to get one videogame/anime related tattoo. What would it be?

For me, I'd get a a star right around my left shoulder and neck. 2fabulous4u.

I actually want to get tattoos when I move to Portland. I was worried about the whole permanence thing, then I realized that at most I can hope to maybe live another 60 years and who really gives a shit? If I end up regretting it then it's kind of funny because I'm trolling a lamer version of myself in the future. If I get to the point where I'd be ashamed of a Madoka tattoo, then I deserve to feel that shame.

I saw someone with that drill necklace when I was running the Freshmen Orientation "Get Online" session at the college I work for. It looked neat, but kinda... Eh, I don't like to flaunt my animu like that.

croten

Tattoos, eh? Interesting. Alright, lets say you were forced to get one videogame/anime related tattoo. What would it be?

For me, I'd get a a star right around my left should and neck. 2fabulous4u.

Like I said...

SGDaiGurren.png

This on my back would be pretty bad ass

For me, I'd get a a star right around my left should and neck. 2fabulous4u.
Forced eh? I'd probably go for a full body mural of those a Wind Waker stained glass windows.

Or just Guts' brand.
I actually want to get tattoos when I move to Portland. I was worried about the whole permanence thing, then I realized that at most I can hope to maybe live another 60 years and who really gives a shit? If I end up regretting it then it's kind of funny because I'm trolling a lamer version of myself in the future. If I get to the point where I'd be ashamed of a Madoka tattoo, then I deserve to feel that shame.
TAKE THAT FUTURE ME. THE SHAME IS REAL.

360pages

The point where you go from saying. (Man I can't wait for people to read what I wrote,) to (God, I hope no one reads that shit I sent them!)

croten

Was it ZOE 1 or 2 where the EU version was significantly harder than the US version. At least, I remember reading that the final boss of ZOE2 is relatively decent in the US version and fucking murderous in the EU version.

Nah, can't afford one right now. Bought way too many things and my vacation drained my student wallet.

The ZOE2 boss wasn't too difficult for me at least. Weather that's because of my 1337 skillz or because it wasn't very difficult I don't know

THE INTERNET IS USUALLY A GOOD PLACE TO LOOK

Since I've only seen rising, I'm just gonna go ahead and watch from the beginning now. Will be updating well into the night, considering when I woke up.
I usually don't like googling stuff like that cause most of the stuff I see is badly made and depressing.

Forced? 1st LoZ Link holding up a heart container. My mom was really into it back when I was small. 2fer since I like games/my mom. Otherwise no tattoo

If I was absolutely crazy, did not feel pain and didn't give a fuck about what I was subjecting my body too, the Demi-Fiend's body markings. All of it, head to toe.

More realistically though, it would be this.

On my left leg like this.
Gale2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom