• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
exposed as not using subscriptions

also, people talk up Nier all the time, how much does it usually go for? I found a ps3 copy for 40 bucks is it worth it?
It sure as hell is worth it, though getting the fullest out of the experience will determine on how much you hate yourself.

But it's an easier pill to swallow than Drakengard 1 so it's not all bad. It's definitely a game that does things that could only be done in this medium.

JoJo94

Bleach is like a drunk Yu Yu Hakasho. Instead of keeping the main four or five characters just keep adding more, no one will mind!

Bleach just kind of collapsed from its own weight more then its flaws of story telling.

Yeah and it shames me that being an art major means seeing a bunch of people who like anime wearing bleach and naruto stuff...I have to resist the urge to tell them it sucks so much

Also got behind on Rule of Rose...but I kind of want to play the game looks pretty interesting, and I saw it before on G4 as a kid so once they played it I instantly remembered it and being interested then to...

croten

Yeah and it shames me that being an art major means seeing a bunch of people who like anime wearing bleach and naruto stuff...I have to resist the urge to tell them it sucks so much

Also got behind on Rule of Rose...but I kind of want to play the game looks pretty interesting, and I saw it before on G4 as a kid so once they played it I instantly remembered it and being interested then to...

Good luck finding a copy, Matt said he bought it for $90

360pages

Well, I can somewhat see the appeal of both Bleach and Naruto, they are easier to get into with easy to digest characters. If you don't care about story telling too much and take everything at face value they are pretty good time wasters. Though both are far too slow sometimes.

As for rule of rose, this episode was far more interesting then the previous one, and super creepy. Though sometimes narm can come in, though that might be because I'm cynical as hell.

JoJo94

Well, I can somewhat see the appeal of both Bleach and Naruto, they are easier to get into with easy to digest characters. If you don't care about story telling too much and take everything at face value they are pretty good time wasters. Though both are far too slow sometimes.

As for rule of rose, this episode was far more interesting then the previous one, and super creepy. Though sometimes narm can come in, though that might be because I'm cynical as hell.

OH I know the appeal of them too, but after like 100+ episodes something should kind of give. Those shows have fallen off for Attack on Titan at my school though (for a little bit at least) Which while not a bad show got way overhyped.

OH I know the appeal of them too, but after like 100+ episodes something should kind of give. Those shows have fallen off for Attack on Titan at my school though (for a little bit at least) Which while not a bad show got way overhyped.

I think it deserves what it gets in terms of hype. It may not be as good as JoJo, but i'd call it a solid show.

JoJo94

Eeeeeeeh. It's not really even a good show, or a good book so far. They're milking the fuck out of the whole mystery. After the Titan on Titan fighting, it's just kinda dull imo.

I kind of never finished the show because of the fact that too much talking started happening, and it felt really slow, so it's probably because the first half was a lot better (maybe/in my opinion) that I think it's decent.

I think it deserves what it gets in terms of hype. It may not be as good as JoJo, but i'd call it a solid show.

I would actually have to watch the second half to be a fair judge personally. BUt, I just don't feel like it

It sure as hell is worth it, though getting the fullest out of the experience will determine on how much you hate yourself.

But it's an easier pill to swallow than Drakengard 1 so it's not all bad. It's definitely a game that does things that could only be done in this medium.

Yeah I heard you have to play the game many times to get the full story right?

360pages

I find the appeal of long running manga the same as the appeal of comic books, new stories being told about characters they enjoy and like. Also, don't watch the Naruto Anime/Bleach Anime, so much filler.

For me Naruto pretty much became a thing a pop in and read a chapter a week and go back to my daily stuff. Because despite the shit story telling I still like the characters.

It goes back to why long running Manga is so popular, it's because no matter what stories are still being told for those characters and places. A 26 EP anime like GL is fantastic, but it is still only 26 episodes. It will reach hype and be remembered fondly, but it ended. Merchandise stops selling and people can only talk about the 26 episodes for so long.

Not saying either Naruto or Bleach are better then Gurran, but you understand the appeal of longer series right?

I kind of never finished the show because of the fact that too much talking started happening, and it felt really slow, so it's probably because the first half was a lot better (maybe/in my opinion) that I think it's decent.

IMO the buildup makes the action sequences have a little more weight behind them. I actually care if people get injured in AoT, in JoJo I know it'll be gone next episode.

JoJo94

I find the appeal of long running manga the same as the appeal of comic books, new stories being told about characters they enjoy and like. Also, don't watch the Naruto Anime/Bleach Anime, so much filler.

For me Naruto pretty much became a thing a pop in and read a chapter a week and go back to my daily stuff. Because despite the shit story telling I still like the characters.

It goes back to why long running Manga is so popular, it's because no matter what stories are still being told for those characters and places. A 26 EP anime like GL is fantastic, but it is still only 26 episodes. It will reach hype and be remembered fondly, but it ended. Merchandise stops selling and people can only talk about the 26 episodes for so long.

Not saying either Naruto or Bleach are better then Gurran, but you understand the appeal of longer series right?

Yeah there is a lot more to talk about with longer series whether you like them or not, so they have a weird staying power that helps them.

IMO the buildup makes the action sequences have a little more weight behind them. I actually care if people get injured in AoT, in JoJo I know it'll be gone next episode.

I think for me as much as I like build up after a while I reach a point where I feel like they are hamming it in a little. FOr instance, as much as I loved the CHimera Ant arc in H x H I had to make some 25 minute episodes into 5 minutes as I was starting to predict some stuff, and was really interested in finding out what was going to happen after a certain part...it's a curse I have...

croten

I understand the appeal I just think that in 26 Episodes you have a lot less time to fuck up. When a series goes on for too long it will drop in quality, either due to the writers running out of ideas or something else.

Yeah I don't think I can follow this thread page-by-page anymore. I'll just be asking what I missed.

So... what did I miss?

I won a Smash themed sling bag in the Smash event.

Subscribe mother fucker

Subscribe function! That's what it is there for!

exposed as not using subscriptions

also, people talk up Nier all the time, how much does it usually go for? I found a ps3 copy for 40 bucks is it worth it?

I'm too lazy to do it. If it wasn't for abubeats telling me IRL that the thread got moved I probably wouldn't have found it for a long time.

AND YES THATS SUPER CHEAP FOR NIER. PLAY NIER AND DRAKENGARD 1 AND 3

360pages

I understand the appeal I just think that in 26 Episodes you have a lot less time to fuck up. When a series goes on for too long it will drop in quality, either due to the writers running out of ideas or something else.

True, but you also have a lot less time to develop a large cast of characters. Thus you have to keep your roster smaller. An easy fix for this is just make a new series set in the same world.

I mean Dragon Ball, counting Z as well is pretty much 500+ episodes, Even if you take Kai version of Z. It still about 300 episodes from the beginning of Dragon Ball to the end of Dragon Ball Z.

I honestly don't think some stories can be told with 26 EP or even 52 EP.

I'll start off my saying I have not read any Naruto.
I understand your argument and I agree with you, I did not want something like Persona to end because I loved the characters. That being said, one of the most common complaint I have ever heard about Naruto is that the (some?) characters are bad.most people will agree that Sakura is awful and she is number 3 right? then there is all the bullshit with Sasuke as well. I get the hype for Rock Lee but that's why he has his own series thing now right?

I have never touched the series aside from LK's ninjabridge but that is what I have heard

croten

True, but you also have a lot less time to develop a large cast of characters. Thus you have to keep your roster smaller. An easy fix for this is just make a new series set in the same world.

I mean Dragon Ball, counting Z as well is pretty much 500+ episodes, Even if you take Kai version of Z. It still about 300 episodes from the beginning of Dragon Ball to the end of Dragon Ball Z.

I honestly don't think some stories can be told with 26 EP or even 52 EP.

Sure but personally I don't think any story that lasts that long is worth a damn. If you can't tell the story in less than 26-28 episodes I don't want to watch it.

Ippo is an exception however and I'm still confused as to how it kept being good for so long.

360pages

I'll start off my saying I have not read any Naruto.
I understand your argument and I agree with you, I did not want something like Persona to end because I loved the characters. That being said, one of the most common complaint I have ever heard about Naruto is that the (some?) characters are bad.most people will agree that Sakura is awful and she is number 3 right? then there is all the bullshit with Sasuke as well. I get the hype for Rock Lee but that's why he has his own series thing now right?

I have never touched the series aside from LK's ninjabridge but that is what I have heard

Yeah, some characters are really shit, though that is just due to writing more then the length. That being said, I don't ever watch Naruto for Sakura, hell honestly at one point I watched it to see when they get Sasuke back. Then I watched it to see who tobi was, then I watched it to see the conclusion to the war and then I watched it to see my favorite side character do some shit.

It is effective for stringing you along. Even if this final story arc had been dragging like hell.

Random question time, is there such a thing as a Metroid Prime art book? The only thing I find googling is the M3 collectors edition, but it seems like the "art book" is just six pages long. I spent forever in those art galleries and would love to have printed copies of them.

I'm too lazy to do it. If it wasn't for abubeats telling me IRL that the thread got moved I probably wouldn't have found it for a long time.

AND YES THATS SUPER CHEAP FOR NIER. PLAY NIER AND DRAKENGARD 1 AND 3

all right I grabbed it, it'll take a bit to get here, hopefully I don't end up putting it off for too long

360pages

Sure but personally I don't think any story that lasts that long is worth a damn. If you can't tell the story in less than 26-28 episodes I don't want to watch it.

Ippo is an exception however and I'm still confused as to how it kept being good for so long.

I think the original Dragon Ball (Without Z) Actually keeps getting better and better from the start to the end. To the point where I think the start is the worst part of the series, which is fine because it's actually a really strong start anyway. Which is fine, since it would be flat out impossible to tell Dragon Ball in 26 episodes, and the series would be objectively worse if it ended at the end of the second arc.

croten

I think the original Dragon Ball (Without Z) Actually keeps getting better and better from the start to the end. To the point where I think the start is the worst part of the series, which is fine because it's actually a really strong start anyway. Which is fine, since it would be flat out impossible to tell Dragon Ball in 26 episodes, and the series would be objectively worse if it ended at the end of the second arc.

Well that's a pity. if it was shorter I'd watch it.

Catching up on the new Rule of Rose...Aman-da Aman-da Aman-da
Amanda, Amanda, Amanda Shoooow
I don't understand
how the rat on the stick is so awful, is it supposed to be something actual kids would use?
"Thinly veiled" is not how I would describe it. I hope whoever thought of that got fired.
Get ready for the next games in the series, hoo boy. They get a bit... Over the top. Don't think (?) they include seizures as much though.

JoJo94

Amanda, Amanda, Amanda Shoooow
I don't understand
how the rat on the stick is so awful, is it supposed to be something actual kids would use?

It's probably the fact that it's a dirty street rat, and it was forced on her face...makes no sense...but I know later on it makes more sense why it's creepy

360pages

Well that's a pity. if it was shorter I'd watch it.

Well Tskihime is a short manga series if you if I can recommend you that. It's done by type moon, the same guys who did Fate/Stay night. It started of as a VN, but I actually prefer the Manga in a lot of places to it. Also, don't watch the Anime, it's super bad and terrible.

I can actually think of quite a few series that were made worst because they were too short. Danganronpa 13 count made it feel rush, and I'm sure people would want a full Berserk adaptation one of these days.

360pages

It's probably the fact that it's a dirty street rat, and it was forced on her face...makes no sense...but I know later on it makes more sense why it's creepy

Honestly I found that entire scene kind of funny, mostly because our main character could just stand up or move back a moment. But she just sits there and takes it. There is probably an in game reason for it, but she could have scooted a little ways back.

croten

Isn't it? I don't actually know anymore.

It wasn't serious from the start

do+do+do+do+do.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom