• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't serious from the start

do+do+do+do+do.gif

But I actually think it kind of was though
I mean, it's wacky, but there's tons of character death and it's all treated like it matters

Yeah, some characters are really shit, though that is just due to writing more then the length. That being said, I don't ever watch Naruto for Sakura, hell honestly at one point I watched it to see when they get Sasuke back. Then I watched it to see who tobi was, then I watched it to see the conclusion to the war and then I watched it to see my favorite side character do some shit.

It is effective for stringing you along. Even if this final story arc had been dragging like hell.
In terms of characters the main problem with Naruto is that Part 1 introduced all these really interesting and likable characters. I.e. shikamaru, neji, hinata, ino, etc. But then part 2 decided to just almost forget them minus a few characters as of late namely Hinata since shes basically one of the main characters now. So even though its 700 chapter manga it doesnt have good character development. One of the things that annoyed me the most about shikamarus arc in shippuden is that Hinata and her team were no where in that arc even though their senseis lover just died. Like seriously all the characters are interesting but the boring characters are the ones who get the most screen time. Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke are some of the worst written characters ive ever seen. Naruto takes the hyper active, funny, and dumb protagonist like Luffy or Goku and takes it to far and he becomes annoying after a while. Sasuke takes the brooding, serious rival character like Vegeta, or Vergil and takes it to the point you just wanna punch his fucking face in and hes so unlikable. Oh and Sakura god Sakura is just the worst when it comes to character and character development. Her inital character is "she likes Sasuke and is a tsukomi character for the comedy" and thats fucking it, her character was shallow and wasnt even good enough to be a fan service character. Her character barely sees any character development and only has development cause the guy she liked turned evil and she wants to help him become good again. God why do the protagonists have to be the least interesting characters in the whole fucking series.

JoJo94

Honestly I found that entire scene kind of funny, mostly because our main character could just stand up or move back a moment. But she just sits there and takes it. There is probably an in game reason for it, but she could have scooted a little ways back.

Yeah I was saying that during the entire scene, but I'm guessing they were just setting her up to be weak, and probably for plot reasons. Edit: It's also important to remember she is trapped with these kids so running away wouldn't have been possible really.

360pages

In terms of characters the main problem with Naruto is that Part 1 introduced all these really interesting and likable characters. I.e. shikamaru, neji, hinata, ino, etc. But then part 2 decided to just almost forget them minus a few characters as of late namely Hinata since shes basically one of the main characters now. So even though its 700 chapter manga it doesnt have good character development. One of the things that annoyed me the most about shikamarus arc in shippuden is that Hinata and her team were no where in that arc even though their senseis lover just died. Like seriously all the characters are interesting but the boring characters are the ones who get the most screen time. Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke are some of the worst written characters ive ever seen. Naruto takes the hyper active, funny, and dumb protagonist like Luffy or Goku and takes it to far and he becomes annoying after a while. Sasuke takes the brooding, serious rival character like Vegeta, or Vergil and takes it to the point you just wanna punch his fucking face in and hes so unlikable. Oh and Sakura god Sakura is just the worst when it comes to character and character development. Her inital character is "she likes Sasuke and is a tsukomi character for the comedy" and thats fucking it, her character was shallow and wasnt even good enough to be a fan service character. Her character barely sees any character development and only has development cause the guy she liked turned evil and she wants to help him become good again. God why do the protagonists have to be the least interesting characters in the whole fucking series.

I think Naruto is the best out of the three, because despite his shit life he always tried to smile and what not. He was a somewhat darker take of the goofy hero because honestly everyone hated him at the start and thought he was shit.

Sakura sucks, and she has no goals outside of Sasuke and Naruto. I still actually have no idea what her dreams are outside those two characters.

Sasuke was actually kind of cool in part one, but hot damn did they ruin him in part 2. He is a big ass, like unapologeticly so. How he treated Karin and his new team made me hate him forever. (In context, Karin is a girl that ditched her job, went with him, saved his life five times at that point. "along with everyone else on his new team" and even went with him to make sure he was safe when he left their other two friends for dead)

Do you know what he does the moment she is taken hostage? Stabs right through her and tries to get Sakura to finish her off, I honestly don't know how anyone could like him after that.

I mean, it's wacky, but there's tons of character death and it's all treated like it matters
Note that the anime is an adaptation of the manga, if you haven't read it's could see why you'd think it matters.

Part 1 especially is written much less toungue in cheek, but the way they presented in the anime was emphasizing the goofiness the manga begins to embrace.

Part 2 uses Joseph as the damn best comic relief ever, and then Part 3 is outright comedy sometimes. Later parts balance it out really well.

The characters take it seriously, is where I'm coming from. Polnareff being tormented with guilt over
Avdol's death
wasn't ever treated like a joke, and when
Ceasar
dies, that's taken seriously too. JoJo is wacky, but it's not a comedy.
There's a bit of in-universe logic that's there, but I think you watching the anime and not reading the whole thing makes me a bad choice to argue with you on this.
pictured, Polnareff talking about his
dead sister
Well the dialogue and characters take the shit seriously, it's just the reader isn't meant to be that invested. That element gets toned down more and more after Part 1 was wholly serious with it.

recently started P4G
holy shit you guys Fusion search is a dream come true
and this new shuffle time doesnt make me want to gouge my eyes out
decided to play my 1st playthrough without a guide, except for answers to questions,Marie and Adachi S link for bonus stuff, quests, and costumes
1st playthrough romance will be Chie
2nd will be Naoto
3rd will be Rise
and last will be Yukiko

wS88J3W.jpg

all their friends just died.
also remember how everyone just forgot about Ceaser after the wham fight?

I think Naruto is the best out of the three, because despite his shit life he always tried to smile and what not. He was a somewhat darker take of the goofy hero because honestly everyone hated him at the start and thought he was shit.

Sakura sucks, and she has no goals outside of Sasuke and Naruto. I still actually have no idea what her dreams are outside those two characters.

Sasuke was actually kind of cool in part one, but hot damn did they ruin him in part 2. He is a big ass, like unapologeticly so. How he treated Karin and his new team made me hate him forever. (In context, Karin is a girl that ditched her job, went with him, saved his life five times at that point. "along with everyone else on his new team" and even went with him to make sure he was safe when he left their other two friends for dead)

Do you know what he does the moment she is taken hostage? Stabs right through her and tries to get Sakura to finish her off, I honestly don't know how anyone could like him after that.
You see I was ok with that cause at least Sasuke was becoming a full on villain like hell thats some character development if sasuke had become an unapoligetic villian Who just loved being bad like Dio then I would have loved it. But no he has an epiphany that he has to save the world by becoming ninja hitler.

croten

There's a bit of in-universe logic that's there, but I think you watching the anime and not reading the whole thing makes me a bad choice to argue with you on this.

Well the dialogue and characters take the shit seriously, it's just the reader isn't meant to be that invested. That element gets toned down more and more after Part 1 was wholly serious with it.

I never read parts 1 and 2 so I can't comment on that, but while I do agree that the characters take it seriously it's obvious that us the readers are not meant to which is what I mean when I say that the series isn't that serious especially as it goes on.

Being weak and terrified is one thing, but it's not like avoiding it would have taken a lot of work. Maybe if the other kids were holding her down, but she could have easily just moved slightly.

You've heard the expression "paralyzed with fear?" That's what it is.

pictured, Polnareff talking about his
dead sister

Yeah, that's not meant to be a joke. Whaddayagunnado.

wS88J3W.jpg

all their friends just died.

That's what's called comic relief. It's what Puck does.

Glad to see you starting Onani Master. More people need to read this manga!
Started it, anyone who likes it should read Molester Man, because it's probably better.
I never read parts 1 and 2 so I can't comment on that, but while I do agree that the characters take it seriously it's obvious that us the readers are not meant to which is what I mean when I say that the series isn't that serious especially as it goes on.
Totally, Part 1 really wanted you to feel invested though. (part 2 spoilers)
Caesar's death is taken very seriously too, but I think that's actually done pretty well.

So I just ran Team Rocket out of Silph Co. Wasn't all that satisfying since Giovanni had a Zubat and an Ivysaur.

My Team

Mitsuru (Jynx) LV 36
Issun (Heracross) LV 36
Navi (Castform) LV 37
Izanagi (Jolteon) LV 34
Nashandra (Nidoqueen) LV 34
Snowmad (Walrein) LV 35

This playthrough has made me realize my love for Castform.

Please explain

Yeah I heard you have to play the game many times to get the full story right?
Yeah, you have to play through New Game Plus multiple times to see all the endings, but there are also a ton of sidequests, most of which are terrible and some of them have their own interesting stories. Completing as many or all of them will make you feel like you wasted your time, but it enforces the idea of this sad world that is on the brink of falling apart, and you get some story and banter out of them that makes it worth it. Well, as worth it as it can be.

That said though, I'll just say right now don't even try to cultivate pink moonflower seeds or that bullshit unless you're fucking insane and willing to change your system clock.

And go all the way for Ending D. Do not youtube that shit. It has to be experienced firsthand.

Yeah, you have to play through New Game Plus multiple times to see all the endings, but there are also a ton of sidequests, most of which are terrible and some of them have their own interesting stories. Completing as many or all of them will make you feel like you wasted your time, but it enforces the idea of this sad world that is on the brink of falling apart, and you get some story and banter out of them that makes it worth it. Well, as worth it as it can be.

That said though, I'll just say right now don't even try to cultivate pink moonflower seeds or that bullshit unless you're fucking insane and willing to change your system clock.

And go all the way for Ending D. Do not youtube that shit. It has to be experienced firsthand.

I'd tell people to also play Drakengard 1 first since it technically is a prequel. But that game isn't for anyone willing to dive deep into the
woolie hole of
fucked up lore.

360pages

I should really write another chapter, updating once a month is hard considering how quickly the month goes by a lot of the time. Plus I'm on chapter nine and 10 looks like it's going to start the next story arc.

guys... I fished a Tauros...

What's it taste like now?

I'm not man enough for this

ultimax

I'd tell people to also play Drakengard 1 first since it technically is a prequel. But that game isn't for anyone willing to dive deep into the
woolie hole of
fucked up lore.
My life has never been the same since drakengard 1. Let this be a warning to all who wish to go down this path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom