• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know all those people that say DBZ is the best thing ever? It's the same as that. They've been watching it since they were a kid, they haven't seen a ton of anime and it hits a lot of the marks that make anime anime. They're also young and not critical of plot or characters, so they see cool things happening with archetypes they're seeing for the first time and assume it's great.
But the people im talking to about naruto who say this I assume are at least 16+ cause theyre on gaf, and they say theyve seen other animes but once uh im to lazy to go back and see who said but there are people who like sword art then it becomes understandable, some people just have bad taste :p

But the people im talking to about naruto who say this I assume are at least 16+ cause theyre on gaf, and they say theyve seen other animes but once uh im to lazy to go back and see who said but there are people who like sword art then it becomes understandable, some people just have bad taste :p

16+ is young and a kid. And I don't even necessarily think liking Sword Art means you have bad taste, like I said, a lot of people, especially around the 16 yo range aren't remotely critical of the things they watch. They see things that are cool and new to them so they're way less annoyed by repeated tropes or plot inconsistency. Naruto is literally just DBZ for another generation so I understand that, and I understand SAO from being the most idealized everything ever. Ideal teenage love with no problems and just pure love. Normal teenage boy becomes ridiculously overpowered and saves his girlfriend. It's a fucking 16 year old's wet dream (Almost literally.)

Not immediately though. I still haven't gotten around to watching Bebop and reading JoJo and Berserk. And now monster is on that list too.
I'll try to fit it in somewhere when I get the chance, but it'll take a while.

Did you just say you haven't "gotten around" to COWBOY BEBOP? That should be 1-100 on the priority list, Maragidyne! *sighs* You're not in trouble. I'm only using your full name because I feel disappointed.

16+ is young and a kid. And I don't even necessarily think liking Sword Art means you have bad taste, like I said, a lot of people, especially around the 16 yo range aren't remotely critical of the things they watch. They see things that are cool and new to them so they're way less annoyed by repeated tropes or plot inconsistency. Naruto is literally just DBZ for another generation so I understand that, and I understand SAO from being the most idealized everything ever. Ideal teenage love with no problems and just pure love. Normal teenage boy becomes ridiculously overpowered and saves his girlfriend. It's a fucking 16 year old's wet dream (Almost literally.)
Well what about adults like most of us?

360pages

I didn't get picked again, though I'm not in too much of a rush. I usually get decent reviews simply by reviewing other people's work so there's that.

Squishy3

azsX62a.png

replace game developer with writer, dragon's crown with sword art online and character with books/anime and it's basically the same thing

Well what about adults like most of us?

Some people aren't super into anime and just like the little bit they see. My brother loves DBZ still and despite liking anime, doesn't watch a ton of it, so can't really tell the difference between the good shit and the bad shit. And yeah, there are people who just have bad tastes.

replace game developer with writer, dragon's crown with sword art online and character with books/anime and it's basically the same thing

Dragon's Crown has an exaggerated art style, but it's hardly on the same level as SAO with it's pandering to a certain crowd. DC's art is appreciable in all of the non-pandering ways, as where SAO is just pure pandering schlock with little to no redeeming qualities at all.

croten

Yeah, I liked SAO when I was that age, then I saw Gurren and bebop and Jojo and berserk and all that other hype ass shit and realized I was a fucking moron

360pages

Honestly I think it's fine, even the pandering part. I think some of us just need to accept that not all, Books/Anime are created for us and some are created for teenagers. This is with any medium. Despite the story inconsistencies and dumb shit in Naruto. People like it. Same with SAO. These stories were framed with a certain age group in mind, they pander and there is nothing wrong with that.

Honestly I think it's fine, even the pandering part. I think some of us just need to accept that not all, Books/Anime are created for us and some are created for teenagers. This is with any medium. Despite the story inconsistencies and dumb shit in Naruto. People like it. Same with SAO. These stories were framed with a certain age group in mind, they pander and there is nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this as a whole, but SAO is a bad example since it paints a very poor image of a lot of stuff. Especially since rape is a common, prominent and constant theme. I repeat that, rape. Rape is a topic handled very poorly and aimed at teenagers, which is irresponsible and dangerous.

360pages

I think outlaw star pushes the whole space/technology thing as a whole more in a direction I like.

Also the person picked had 12 points and I had 25...I'm not salty. No, actually I'm super salty and a little irritated, sure this week probably wouldn't have been the best, but shit it feels like two months since I joined.

I was 16-17 when I first watched SAO and I still figured out that it was putrid garbage. I wasn't even an overly critical person at that point in my life.

But but S2 is where it gits gud
heh

Woolie pls.

I should watch SAO, but fuck that. I don't have time to watch good show, let alone watch a bad one.

I would read the books, but I won't be able to absorb the cancer that way.

Jman014

Probably will. I'll probably do it thursday since I've got class tomorrow and an almost all day thing tuesday, and I should probably do homework on wednesday.
You're also ready for the Korra game since you've seen book 2.

EDIT: Apparently there will be subtle references to book 3 in the game as well.

360pages

Damn, well, back to reviewing random things and getting reviews that way. It seems I make the most progress doing something like that. Plus a lot of stories are fun, I usually review for the story club every other week or just leave a review or two and answer a small amount of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom