• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

I know this is a broad topic and pretty tangential, but is the Simpsons just a product of it's time? I'm a Liam, so I didn't grow up with the show, but I watched 8 or 9 highly acclaimed episodes and just, didn't really see the appeal.

It's way fucking better than Family Guy, but I chuckled once or twice an episode, max.

Hmm, I think some older episodes have more witty subtle humor in it. They weren't outlandish and let the situation speak mostly for themselves. Some can get dark, like Homer's enemy.

I think it may have something to do with the environment in which you were raised or when you started watching the show
Maybe that's all it is, yeah. I tried to watch it as a kid, but my mom was super against it. Since she didn't watch my computer I kinda grew up on internet humor instead, so maybe it's just warped me beyond repair.
Hmm, I think some older episodes have more witty subtle humor in it. They weren't outlandish and let the situation speak mostly for themselves. Some can get dark, like Homer's enemy.
I liked 2 or 3 of the older ones, ok, better than the later ones, with a handful of those subtle things. Maybe there's more I missed.
To clarify, I didn't even try the newest shit. That'd probably make my brain explode.

I know this is a broad topic and pretty tangential, but is the Simpsons just a product of it's time? I'm a Liam, so I didn't grow up with the show, but I watched 8 or 9 highly acclaimed episodes and just, didn't really see the appeal.

It's way fucking better than Family Guy, but I chuckled once or twice an episode, max.

Humor's subjective, y'know? I wouldn't worry about it. Just for context, what DO you think is funny? Movies, shows, comedians, anything.

That's pretty cool when he did it back in
Enies Lobby against giraffe guy. I think the last good Zoro fight I saw was back in Thriller Bark, but that whole arc was just about how badass Zoro can be.
Good to see he's still really cool though.
Oh I thought you meant
the arlong park arc. But yeah the fishman island arc was just an arc to show how sick and strong everyone became. I think the next arc he does some sick shit.

Does Zoro
still actually fight people? When I tuned out of One Piece after that horrible horrible Fishman Island arc, he just swung his sword once and killed that octopus guy I think.

I took a break a little after that, but yeah. Just posing, weird screens of mystical creatures, then a single sword swing, flowing energy and the other dude is defeated.

I recently watched some old One Pieces, and my jaw hit the floor. His old fights were so much more awesome, it's unbelievable.
Also, fishmen arc gets too much hate. It's not one of the best, but I like it. The badguys could be a little more interesting, but there lack of personality was was kind of the point.

ultimax

Pre-loaded Korra on PS4 <3

too bad i wont be able to play it since i still have to finish book 1 and 2.....
my time has been consumed by evil within and ippo when im not in school

Jman014

Pre-loaded Korra on PS4 <3

too bad i wont be able to play it since i still have to finish book 1 and 2.....
my time has been consumed by evil within and ippo when im not in school

Hopefully you'll find some enjoyment from books 1 and 2 before you Platinum it up.

Humor's subjective, y'know? I wouldn't worry about it. Just for context, what DO you think is funny? Movies, shows, comedians, anything.
Definitely not Super Best Friends Play.

Lol. Seriously though, Louie's one of the best shows I've watched in years. CK's standup is great too. Psych is pretty enjoyably silly if not outright LOL funny. Movies... I'm having a hard time thinking of any offhand.
Oh, IT Crowd is fucking hilarious.

I recently watched some old One Pieces, and my jaw hit the floor. His old fights were so much more awesome, it's unbelievable.
Also, fishmen arc gets too much hate. It's not one of the best, but I like it. The badguys could be a little more interesting, but there lack of personality was was kind of the point.

Fishman arc was one of my favorite arcs because I dig aquatics, plus it was where the crew could show off their new abilities.

Definitely not Super Best Friends Play.

Lol. Seriously though, Louie's one of the best shows I've watched in years. CK's standup is great too. Psych is pretty enjoyably silly if not outright LOL funny. Movies... I'm having a hard time thinking of any offhand.
Oh, IT Crowd is fucking hilarious.

That explains it.
Somehow

joe2187

Banned
The Simpsons shows had great subtle and funny writings, characters actually had some depth and it didnt take crazy leaps to reach a laugh in the early seasons.

The problem with the new stuff is that it's context is all dated, all the celebrities and all the current events humor only works for the moment and is easily forgot about very fast.

Whereas you watch a show like King of the Hill and you'll get that classic early simpsons type wit throughout the entire series. It was such an underrated show.

The Simpsons shows had great subtle and funny writings, characters actually had some depth and it didnt take crazy leaps to reach a laugh in the early seasons.

The problem with the new stuff is that it's context is all dated, all the celebrities and all the current events humor only works for the moment and is easily forgot about very fast.

Whereas you watch a show like King of the Hill and you'll get that classic early simpsons type wit throughout the entire series. It was such an underrated show.

And Joe sticks the landing with a solid analysis!

Was wondering why you asked. Lol.

No big deal, I guess. Don't have to like everything.

giphy.gif

joe2187

Banned
Yo are we talking about King of the Hill now? Lets talk about King of the Hill.

Remember when
Hank's dad
died the same year
Homer's mom
did?

Cottons
death
was amazing though,
He died on purpose just to spite peggy.
Cotton is the best.

Sorry I'm late. I had to stop by the wax museum again and give the finger to FDR.

Holy fuck, Korra is only a 20 minute download on PS4 and its almost a 3 GB game. 300 megabytes on my PS3 takes me like 35 minutes.

This truly is next gen ;__;

I took a break a little after that, but yeah. Just posing, weird screens of mystical creatures, then a single sword swing, flowing energy and the other dude is defeated.

Its not that I hated, its just that arc is the perfect example of the biggest flaw One Piece has, its pacing. That arc did not have to be anywhere near as long as it was. Cut out about 30 episodes and it would've been much more enjoyable. I understand not wanting to catch up with the manga, etc. but it was just sooooooo boring and nothing would happen for weeks at a time. I don't think I'd ever be able to seriously watch one piece airing just because of how horrible that experience would be. Its much more enjoyable to marathon.

Oh I thought you meant
the arlong park arc. But yeah the fishman island arc was just an arc to show how sick and strong everyone became. I think the next arc he does some sick shit.

Punk Hazard? I heard mixed things about it, but I'll get back into it when I'm in the mood for One Piece again.

Platinum Korra is in your future.

Week of Platinum is here <333333 Gonna be home at around 10 and I'll finish up any studying I have to do for my exam Tuesday so I can just Korra it up all night.

I got 2 WTFs for that. But the spoilered part is the one I want an explanation for... or do I?
i think its a theory, im not sure my friend told me about it. Hank has a low semen count as his half brother cant have kids but hank did? Peggy is always annoyed with bill and bills always trying to flirt with peggy. Bobby is nothing like Hank and looks and acts almost exactly like Bill

Its not that I hated, its just that arc is the perfect example of the biggest flaw One Piece has, its pacing. That arc did not have to be anywhere near as long as it was. Cut out about 30 episodes and it would've been much more enjoyable. I understand not wanting to catch up with the manga, etc. but it was just sooooooo boring and nothing would happen for weeks at a time. I don't think I'd ever be able to seriously watch one piece airing just because of how horrible that experience would be. Its much more enjoyable to marathon.

Man if you're not marathoning 30 eps or so at a time of One Piece, you're doing it wrong.

i think its a theory, im not sure my friend told me about it. Hank has a low semen count as his half brother cant have kids but hank did? Peggy is always annoyed with bill and bills always trying to flirt with peggy. Bobby is nothing like Hank and looks and acts almost exactly like Bill

Oh, okay. I think I remember that fan theory as well.
I was thinking they tried an incredibly sketchy plot in one of their later eps for a second there tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom