• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man if you're not marathoning 30 eps or so at a time of One Piece, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, okay. I think I remember that fan theory as well.
I was thinking they tried an incredibly sketchy plot in one of their later eps for a second there tho.

I marathoned like 500 something episodes in the span of like a month and a half. God that was so bad lol but I loved it

Never gonna stop pushing these pictures.

In other news, Ippo continues to fucking kick ass. The show and character.

Push it real good. Can you imagine someone walks in this thread and we're just posting KotH X JoJo shit?

Also remember that time they did sick tool combos on that evil shittily built house?

Shackzam

The Simpsons shows had great subtle and funny writings, characters actually had some depth and it didnt take crazy leaps to reach a laugh in the early seasons.

The problem with the new stuff is that it's context is all dated, all the celebrities and all the current events humor only works for the moment and is easily forgot about very fast.

Whereas you watch a show like King of the Hill and you'll get that classic early simpsons type wit throughout the entire series. It was such an underrated show.
Okay. I gotta get this off my chest, but fuck king of the hill. I don't see how it can be funny, it gets a few chuckles out of me on a good episode, but I just don't get how it's funny and how it's acclaimed for its comedy by people I know. Each episode I'm either mad at the hill family or the people interacting with them and how problems in the episodes get worst in the most annoying ways and that drives me crazy. I enjoyed early Simpson, but fuck king of the hill, The YouTube poops of it are the only good thing to come out of it. End mini rant.

King of the Hill is my favorite cartoon after Avatar. I can't really comment on the final seasons, but man do I love the first seasons.
A mix of nostalgia and heart, I love it so.

ultimax

Okay. I gotta get this off my chest, but fuck king of the hill. I don't see how it can be funny, it gets a few chuckles out of me on a good episode, but I just don't get how it's funny and how it's acclaimed for its comedy by people I know. Each episode I'm either mad at the hill family or the people interacting with them and how problems in the episodes get worst in the most annoying ways and that drives me crazy. I enjoyed early Simpson, but fuck king of the hill, The YouTube poops of it are the only good thing to come out of it. End mini rant.

my thoughts exactly lol. the show pisses me off, but the gif/memes that people make of it are pretty awesome....but still, fuck the show

i think its a theory, im not sure my friend told me about it. Hank has a low semen count as his half brother cant have kids but hank did? Peggy is always annoyed with bill and bills always trying to flirt with peggy. Bobby is nothing like Hank and looks and acts almost exactly like Bill
That actually makes a lot of sense

Halfway through and I love this show to death. It was incredibly satisfying to see Tenma kill Roberto. Anna/Nina is such an awesome character <3

Johan sabotaged his own assassination plot and Shulwald. I wonder what that twist fucker has planned. I asked this early but does anyone else think the Lunge is mildly autistic?

360pages

Wow, I'm trying to find things to talk about, but I've got nothing. Probably going to write a new chapter of my story soon, so that's something I guess.

Anyone seen Let's Drown Out? Gabe can get pretentious, but he's got some awesome stories. There was one where he had worked at a summer camp for developmentally disabled kids for a few years, and one kid had been going since he was in kindergarten. He basically knew the camp inside out. So one day, a new counselor's trying to start a grill, and he can't get it going for, like, 5 minutes. The kid walks up and starts telling him how to work the grill, and the counselor basically ignores him, because what the hell's a Down's kid know about grills. This goes on for twenty minutes, and when the counselor finally gets the grill started and realizes the kid's been right the whole time, the kid looks him right in the eye and says "And they call me fuckin' retarded."

Wow, I'm trying to find things to talk about, but I've got nothing. Probably going to write a new chapter of my story soon, so that's something I guess.

You gotta put in the work yo. You can do the thing

Anyone seen Let's Drown Out? Gabe can get pretentious, but he's got some awesome stories. There was one where he had worked at a summer camp for developmentally disabled kids for a few years, and one kid had been going since he was in kindergarten. He basically knew the camp inside out. So one day, a new counselor's trying to start a grill, and he can't get it going for, like, 5 minutes. The kid walks up and starts telling him how to work the grill, and the counselor basically ignores him, because what the hell's a Down's kid know about grills. This goes on for twenty minutes, and when the counselor finally gets the grill started and realizes the kid's been right the whole time, the kid looks him right in the eye and says "And they call me fuckin' retarded."

I hope I never get a sick burn on me like that

I watch them

The most recent one they were arguing like an old married couple

You will have to be infinitely more specific.

Depends. Context?

Comedy? It could kinda work. Sounds a bit like Cromartie.
Basically im writing some ideas for story arcs for my manga story thing and its going to be a slice of life action comedy. All the protagonists are assholes to each other
but deep down they all love each other with only one romance in the group
and the groups whole dynamic is "we kind of hate everyone but I can stand these people"

Whoof, Darker than Black is finally done with. Tomorrow begins my journey through the wonderful land of Ippo.

Dempsey_Roll.gif

Agent York

Neo Member
Hey guys what do you guys think of an manga whos whole main cast are a bunch of assholes, even the nice one.
It all really depends on how good of a writer it is that is handling such a goal. When done right, Asshole leads are some of my favorite things to read, but when handled poorly, it can be one of the worst things. "Asshole" is also a broad term, so I'd have to know more what you mean, cause you could mean anything from "the jerk with a heart of gold" to "bigoted hypocritical murderer".

It all really depends on how good of a writer it is that is handling such a goal. When done right, Asshole leads are some of my favorite things to read, but when handled poorly, it can be one of the worst things. "Asshole" is also a broad term, so I'd have to know more what you mean, cause you could mean anything from "the jerk with a heart of gold" to "bigoted hypocritical murderer".
Im talking jerks with hearts of gold here. They help people and try to save the day and junk but insult people, kick peoples asses just cause they pissed them off, litter, usual asshole things but at the end of the day theyre all nice people.

360pages

Basically im writing some ideas for story arcs for my manga story thing and its going to be a slice of life action comedy. All the protagonists are assholes to each other
but deep down they all love each other with only one romance in the group
and the groups whole dynamic is "we kind of hate everyone but I can stand these people"

Reminds me a lot of Disgaea plots.

I think it could be fun to have a group of characters who objectively makes everyone's life worse except one another.

Reminds me a lot of Disgaea plots.

I think it could be fun to have a group of characters who objectively makes everyone's life worse except one another.
Im thinking of having one story arc be a yandere pop idol falls in love with the protagonist and does usual yandere shit and have it end with a horror Movie like chase. Then have her burn in an incinerator and have the protaganoist say "well we just murdered someone, who wants sushi?" The group start agreeing then the pop idol punches out of the incinerator and she turns out to be a terminator.

Zenfalcia

Im thinking of having one story arc be a yandere pop idol falls in love with the protagonist and does usual yandere shit and have it end with a horror Movie like chase. Then have her burn in an incinerator and have the protaganoist say "well we just murdered someone, who wants sushi?" The group start agreeing then the pop idol punches out of the incinerator and she turns out to be a terminator.

How tropey is this yandere going to be? It's not really fun/interesting to read tropey anything. Unless you try to make it self aware and satire on the tropes.

How tropey is this yandere going to be? It's not really fun/interesting to read tropey anything. Unless you try to make it self aware and satire on the tropes.
Well yandere itself is a trope so I cant really do anything. I mean it ends with her turning out to be a terminator trying to kill the protagonist so yeah satire.

Agent York

Neo Member
Say, did you finish Needless?
Sorry, I'm only up to chapter 33. I got distracted by free time and other manga that people recommended to me/caught my eye, and I'm kinda flip-flopping between like four of them at the moment (Needless, Vagabond, UQ Holder, Akametsu). Needless is quick and easy to go through, much like Popcorn, so I'll prioritize that alongside Ippo.

First season and second season? Or just first season? What about the OVAs?

What did you think of it?
I saw the whole thing, all seasons and OVAs

First Season:
A fun and enjoyable ride, I can see why people enjoy it. Characters, pacing, and writing were all good. I personally wish that it had focused more on the central cast and had more exposition earlier on, but eh.

Second Season:
I didn't dislike it in the same way that much of the fanbase seems to hate it. Could it have been done better/more enjoyably? Yes, but what happens happens. The only real turndown for me was the smack-dab ending, because I thought this was a series that was full on completed. Not a second season that flops around for awhile, teasing me with some resolution, before shoving an ending in my face that teases a future season that may never happen.

http://youtu.be/xrmGnNo_DIU?t=34s

I approve of this idea 100%

Zenfalcia

Well yandere itself is a trope so I cant really do anything. I mean it ends with her turning out to be a terminator trying to kill the protagonist so yeah satire.

You could change it up, or even go over the top with it. Maybe even throw in some scenes from the terminator during the chase scene? Just to drop some hints perhaps? Maybe even reuse her to make terminator jokes in some arcs.

You could change it up, or even go over the top with it. Maybe even throw in some scenes from the terminator during the chase scene? Just to drop some hints perhaps? Maybe even reuse her to make terminator jokes in some arcs.

He could also have her hidden in some scenes, like in a non obvious way so people can go back and be like "Wow she was actually there the whole time"

Zenfalcia

I saw the whole thing, all seasons and OVAs

First Season:
A fun and enjoyable ride, I can see why people enjoy it. Characters, pacing, and writing were all good. I personally wish that it had focused more on the central cast and had more exposition earlier on, but eh.

Second Season:
I didn't dislike it in the same way that much of the fanbase seems to hate it. Could it have been done better/more enjoyably? Yes, but what happens happens. The only real turndown for me was the smack-dab ending, because I thought this was a series that was full on completed. Not a second season that flops around for awhile, teasing me with some resolution, before shoving an ending in my face that teases a future season that may never happen.

First season:
It was fairly enjoyable, I felt like they could've fleshed it out longer but I was fairly happy with what happened. It didn't have any boring moments, or really bad filler episodes.

Second Season:
People didn't really like the random new girl and the whole plot surrounding her. I didn't hate it, but at the same time it wasn't very enjoyable. Yeah the ending was terrible. It just only really closed up the girl and her twin's arc. It didn't do anything to address um.. the main character (i'm bad with names). I don't know if there'll ever be another season, it seems like there's so much left in the world to talk about, but the second season didn't answer all the first season's questions.

The main Idea I had was when she punches out of the incinerator the terminator theme starts playing.

Zenfalcia

He could also have her hidden in some scenes, like in a non obvious way so people can go back and be like "Wow she was actually there the whole time"

Maybe? That's always an idea to put some easter eggs in the chapters.

Gurren Lagann would like to offer a counterpoint.

The tropes of guy getting stronger and the power of friendship? It did other things to break the mold. I felt there was enough variations in other parts of Gurren that could make up for the parts that aren't so great.

The main Idea I had was when she punches out of the incinerator the terminator theme starts playing.

The only problem is either will you make it really silly the way she falls into the incinerator? or play it off like they tried to kill someone on purpose. Playing?

360pages

Fuck I forgot how amazing episode 11 of Fate/Zero is.

I forgot how amazing Fate/Zero in general is.

If you like that you should read Tsukihime, it's set in the same universe as the Fate series.

But if you are going to read it, either read the VN or the Manga, do not touch the anime...some say it's so bad it doesn't even exist.

Agent York

Neo Member
First season:
It was fairly enjoyable, I felt like they could've fleshed it out longer but I was fairly happy with what happened. It didn't have any boring moments, or really bad filler episodes.

Second Season:
People didn't really like the random new girl and the whole plot surrounding her. I didn't hate it, but at the same time it wasn't very enjoyable. Yeah the ending was terrible. It just only really closed up the girl and her twin's arc. It didn't do anything to address um.. the main character (i'm bad with names). I don't know if there'll ever be another season, it seems like there's so much left in the world to talk about, but the second season didn't answer all the first season's questions.
My feelings are basically the same. It would be nice to see some resolution to Hei and Yin's story, but after that second season (and ntm recently watching the director's more recent work), frankly I think I'd rather leave it as is and remember season 1 for what it was
while making fanfics like 360 does.

The tropes of guy getting stronger and the power of friendship? It did other things to break the mold. I felt there was enough variations in other parts of Gurren that could make up for the parts that aren't so great.

Dude, Gurren Lagann is the tropiest shit ever. Keep in mind that tropes are not bad, they're tools. It does tropes right by going over the top with them and taking them only semi-seriously.

Zenfalcia

My feelings are basically the same. It would be nice to see some resolution to Hei and Yin's story, but after that second season (and ntm recently watching the director's more recent work), frankly I think I'd rather leave it as is and remember season 1 for what it was
while making fanfics like 360 does.

I agree. I just wish they did a little more with S2. S2 felt like a side story, where Hei (thanks for reminding me his name :p) was just kinda there. He could've just not existed and someone could've replaced him entirely.

Dude, Gurren Lagann is the tropiest shit ever. Keep in mind that tropes are not bad, they're tools. It does tropes right by going over the top with them and taking them only semi-seriously.

Mm.. now thinking back on it. Yeah there was quite a few tropes. I don't remember all of them, it's been a while since I watched Gurren.
They had the mandatory bath scene, fan service girl, cute mascot animal, what else..

Maybe? That's always an idea to put some easter eggs in the chapters.

The only problem is either will you make it really silly the way she falls into the incinerator? or play it off like they tried to kill someone on purpose. Playing?
Im gonna make it super fucking silly.

I agree. I just wish they did a little more with S2. S2 felt like a side story, where Hei (thanks for reminding me his name :p) was just kinda there. He could've just not existed and someone could've replaced him entirely.

Mm.. now thinking back on it. Yeah there was quite a few tropes. I don't remember all of them, it's been a while since I watched Gurren.
They had the mandatory bath scene, fan service girl, cute mascot animal, what else..

Rule of Cool attacks, rival becomes ally(x2), villain wasn't villain.
There's probably more

360pages

All this creation talk, damn it. I really wish I was picked for writing week...

Though I guess 39 reviews on 9 chapters is pretty good overall...

Bath scene? The bathhouse was a mech.
Mascot animal? He mega-evolves into a humanoid form to help in the final push.
Reluctant anime hero? GREATEST TURNAROUND SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING.
Power of love? They use love as an anchor for their teleportation.
Slap to snap out of it? Try FLYING PUNCH FROM THE HEAD OF A MECH to snap out of it.
Gurren Lagann does right by tropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom