• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer Y

Nah, i beat her easily on NG++ and helping out while being summoned

You can get nearly half her life bar as soon as you walk through the fog door. She takes a while to start up and you can just run straight ahead and whack her something fierce before she can even start attacking.
Yeah, but I'm a terrible Dark Souls 2 player. half of the sunken crown is empty to get to where I am now. But I'll give it another try later.

A one-off at least, an actual LP could be a nightmare but fuck it, I loved the Chrono Trigger one so why the fuck not

He still fucks up the item menu EVERY TIME
I think maybe or maybe not with Woolie being there, but it could be his first time playing while Liam and Pat will binge the game immediately on release. Just Liam and Pat would be fine too.

I love that he fucks it up, as if he played Dark 1. Since they totally switch the tabs in Dark 2. Edit: Aaron stahp

RE6 I can understand, but what didnt you like about vanquish?

Hell Binary Domain is a better TPS than TLOU.

I played the demo like forever ago and I remember not being impressed. Maybe if I play it I'll like it better but I don't feel like digging up my ps3 to play it.

Really? I never heard of binary domain before now and it doesn't look that fun.

croten

I played the demo like forever ago and I remember not being impressed. Maybe if I play it I'll like it better but I don't feel like digging up my ps3 to play it.

Nor does TLOU from a shooting mechanic standpoint

Hell Binary Domain is a better TPS than TLOU.

giphy.gif

joe2187

Banned
It isn't. Don't get me wrong, Binary Domain is great, but I disagree with it being the better TPS.
Not exactly a great idea to compare to two since they're going for a completely different kind of TPS, but still.

Binary Domain is a better TPS, not a better game, I'd say.

Id replay the shit out of Binary Domain whereas TLOU would only warrent a single playthrogh.

Yeah, but I'm a terrible Dark Souls 2 player. half of the sunken crown is empty to get to where I am now. But I'll give it another try later.

It helps that im a lightweight armor guy, hell the armor i have on my character is basically a bra and a poisonous skirt. so I dodge and weave and ceastus the shit out of her or smack her with the pursuers great sword.

Dont use a shield, two hand for bosses, and parry and backstab any lower tier enemy in sight.

This Rule of Rose playthrough insane. I'm calling it right now, after the shitstorm they need to do a full LP.

Its a fascinating game. I want them to do more.

Binary domain has some really good feeling gunplay, and just as important, their standard enemies are really really fun to kill.
Unfortunately, the bosses take years to kill, and the AI/voice chat system is broken, which hold the game back from being great.

Agent York

Neo Member
Hajime no Ippo: Three episodes in and this is already some hype shit. If the rest of this long, wild ride is this entertaining, I think I'm in for a fun experience.

Gamer Y

It helps that im a lightweight armor guy, hell the armor i have on my character is basically a bra and a poisonous skirt. so I dodge and weave and ceastus the shit out of her or smack her with the pursuers great sword.

Dont use a shield, two hand for bosses, and parry and backstab any lower tier enemy in sight.
And the bellboy? just hit and run at that point?

I feel that if TLOU have better shooting mechanics, at least in my eyes, it would have been a worse game.

The jank around the shooting wasn't just there to make stealth the default option. It was there to increase the tension. Every bullet meant something. You had to plan out each encounter. You had to pay attention to the details.

I loved it. If the game had RE6 mechanics, I probably would have left the game a lot less impressed.

Pokemon has deeper and more interesting gameplay than persona!
*ducks bottle*
*Catches bottle*
You are totally correct, my brother.

joe2187

Banned
In a way, yes, but these aren't isolated elements. Binary Domain's shooter mechanics are fantastic and killing regular enemies feels super good, but TLOU has way more going for it outside of that, which also elevate it as a TPS. It's like...
Bayo has amazing combat mechanics. However, if the rest of the game was absolute garbage (as in art style, world and enemy design, pacing et cetera), it'd harm the game severely. That wouldn't mean it wouldn't have amazing combat mechanics anymore, but I wouldn't say it's the best stylish action game. But since everything else about the game is fantastic, these also greatly compliment the stylish action element of said game, pushing it up to god tier.

Again, look at everything surrounding it. What makes the shooting so satisfying isn't just the shooting itself, it's the nagging background reasoning about ammo preservation, the visual feedback, the dynamic nature of these gunfights et cetera.

Sure. I just disagree. Finished TLOU three times, whereas I'm not going to play BD again.

I understand completely, I prefer a fluid combat system over story/setting anyday anyway. Its what makes RE6 bearable.

Playing RE6 mercs is such sublime experience. doing suplexs, and elbow drops on hordes of zombies, slipping and sliding through enemies and planting a mine and diving away from the explosion.

SoGoodWoolie.jpeg

360pages

Have you guys read DDD.

Here is a short summary of it.,

DDD. Decoration Disorder Disconnection. A set of novels by Kinoko Nasu that explores the notion of "Demonic Possession". No direct connections to the rest of the Nasuverse yet.

In a certain part of Japan, there is a Syndrome. People argue just what this is, but it's the next level beyond "mental illness" and some people even argue that it's Demonic Possession. Some argue it's just a mutation triggered by emotional levels not natural in normally functioning human beings. It's called "Agonist Syndrome;" where the mind shapes the body. And since the mind usually isn't healthy...

Also, the real demons are a little bit upset by these people stealing their thunder. Well, technically, demons aren't real. Neither are what most Agonists turn into. It takes something unreal to fight something unreal. Confused yet? Yeah, this series will do that.

Arika is a rare Abnormal Agonist Albino with one arm who is considered rather harmless. Slightly odd, he'll comment that one should never tell him anything serious during daylight hours, and nothing silly at night. He is employed by rather bizarre and sadistic yet beautiful man-boy named Kirie Karyou, who claims to be a "Demon Master." His only job is to put on and take off Kirie's prosthetic limbs, something for which he is paid 200,000 yen ($1600) a month.

Shoot bangs are really, really hard to make.

Shooting has to be both good and satisfying. There are so many games that get one right, but not the other.

I play video games for gameplay, but sometimes imperfections add more than competency. The Souls games are pretty much this in action.

joe2187

Banned
And the bellboy? just hit and run at that point?

He's slow, just grab a summon or two and let them aggro him or let him aggro you while you/they deal with nashandra.

I feel that if TLOU have better shooting mechanics, at least in my eyes, it would have been a worse game.

The jank around the shooting wasn't just there to make stealth the default option. It was there to increase the tension. Every bullet meant something. You had to plan out each encounter. You had to pay attention to the details.

I loved it. If the game had RE6 mechanics, I probably would have left the game a lot less impressed.

I get that, its what makes the first three silent hill games so tense and the early RE games as well.

TLOU should have had tank controls.

Hmm...But if the shooting mechanics feel heavy and rough and if this is done intentionally because it's exactly what's necessary for the game to work, wouldn't that mean it has good shooting mechanics and is an example of good design?
Better should not mean more fluent, faster or more dynamic. Better should mean that it aligns exactly with what the game is trying to achieve. There isn't an static, objective path towards "good mechanics". There are obviously certain things that can be classified as good or bad, but I don't find TLOU's shooting mechanics to fall into the latter category at all. It's very solid.

That...That's a better way of putting it. Mechanics should be based on the game they are in, and not in comparison to others.

The shooting mechanics in TLOU are great for what they are.

So I just spent like 20 minutes in a 3hour class doing a midterm and I'm pretty sure everyone's mad I was the first one done and out. Most of that was waiting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom