• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its about time! When are you starting?

*cough* Demon's Souls *cough*

Oh sorry, most be coming down with a cold or something.

Edit: Sometime this week. Probably after my Java test this wednesday.

Nope. It's not a super popular opinion, but changing the engine ruins the artstyle and physics for me. It has some positives, but changing the core gameplay without any outstanding improvements kills me.

I see. Well, we'll see how it goes.

Korra book 1-4
I don't like how Equalists and people afraid of benders were just a book 1 thing. I know book 1 was written separately than the rest but still. It's not like all of that could just go away within the 6 months that pass in between books 1 and 2. That movement should still be alive as of the last book.

It probably is still there, but I'd imagine their attack on a major city has led to much disbanding and group-leaving to the point that they barely matter

croten

Yeah, but when you spend all that money on a PC to play games with more graphical options than the console version, its disappointing when those options aren't there.

I think its silly though. I would never get unhyped for a game that looks really cool just because its not better than the console version, but I would also never become a PC gamer.

A direct console port is still just better than the console version, just not by much. I mean I would never not play a bad port as long as it's still as good as the console version or better, even if it's just a little. Would I like it to be perfect? Of course, but that means I would have to abandon nearly every Japanese game.

Yeah, but when you spend all that money on a PC to play games with more graphical options than the console version, its disappointing when those options aren't there.

I think its silly though. I would never get unhyped for a game that looks really cool just because its not better than the console version, but I would also never become a PC gamer.

It's more or less just the principle. If I wanted, I could buy the game on PS4, but I don't like I don't like supporting lazy efforts. Even if I didn't have a PC, I would have a problem supporting this.

Oh well. Onward to Bayonetta 2.

A direct console port is still just better than the console version, just not by much. I mean I would never not play a bad port as long as it's still as good as the console version or better, even if it's just a little. Would I like it to be perfect? Of course, but that means I would have to abandon nearly every Japanese game.
Well, a direct console port is better than the console version, but that's still lazy. Sorry.

I don't play multiplats in consoles anymore. What's the point?

I literally just dislike how it feels. The core gameplay.
Okay so I'm not the only one that thinks it feels off and isn't the best one. Awesome

When you bring up PC cost I can see why people would be upset but I still think it's not that big of a deal. Then again it might just be cause I haven't spent money building a PC, if I had maybe I'd be on the complete opposite side on this.

Squishy3

A good example is The Evil Within now too. Console versions of the game have problems maintaining 30 FPS, while on PC I'm playing at 60 with it occasionally dropping into the upper 40s and there's a FOV fix available. (Default FOV is 65, claustrophobia city) I could also remove the black bars but HUD elements don't account for the lack of black bars, and the black bars are fine with the improved FOV.

Digital Foundry told me it runs at less than 60 FPS so you should totally cancel your preorder and wait for the 4K PS4 version that runs at 240 FPS.

Well, Amon was also the only one who could take people's bending. With that guy gone there's not much left to keep the movement going, I guess.

These cult-of-personality type things also do tend to take a nosedive when their charismatic leader isn't there to inspire them to fight anymore.

When you bring up PC cost I can see why people would be upset but I still think it's not that big of a deal. Then again it might just be cause I haven't spent money building a PC, if I had maybe I'd be on the complete opposite side on this.

It's not the money that's an issue for me. It's the lack of effort and taking advantage of superior hardware.

I still don't know how Japanese companies don't understand basic PC functions. Resolution should be a non issue. Framerates shoud be a non issue. AA should be a non issue. And in most Western titles, they are.

But Japanese titles seem to still have these problems in 2014.

croten

It's more or less just the principle. If I wanted, I could buy the game on PS4, but I don't like I don't like supporting lazy efforts. Even if I didn't have a PC, I would have a problem supporting this.

Well, a direct console port is better than the console version, but that's still lazy. Sorry.

It's lazy yes but I'm not going to not play a game that I thought was fun or enjoyable just for that.

That's fair, its your money.

I completely agree. I don't support the idea of "its just a console port or maybe a little better = bad PC port = no buy." I think its dumb, but I'm trying to see it from their perspective of how spending a lot of money on a PC and not being able to play these games at optimal performance would be annoying.

If it got to the point where I'd actually give up on a game that looks amazing because of non optimal graphical options, that's the day I'd just give up on playing games in general.

That's because for a lot of games, its not. No one is gonna enjoy the game any less if its not optimal, unless it gives you headaches to see non optimal graphics. Then I just feel sorry for those people.

Agent York

Neo Member
I ordered a calzone once. What I got was not a calzone. It was like someone hollowed out a bread and threw mostly vegetables and cheese in there. It was a disgusting, watery mess.

They literally took an uncooked pizza, threw some shit on there and closed it up. It puffed up like nobody's business of course.

Basically what I'm saying is, I got a shitty, vegetable water filled drinkbox made out of bread. I just threw it out. 1/10 didn't know people who murder food are allowed to sell what they do to other people.
Reminds me of my calzone experience. The great Italian restaurant that we usually went to was closed, so we found another place. After a suggestion from my parents, I decided to try one for the first time. The thing that I received was charred burnt on the bottom (so hard that the biggest knife could'nt cut it), and stone cold on the inside. Thankfully we got a refund and I got something else, but I still have not been able to have a real calzone to this day.

Okay so I'm not the only one that thinks it feels off and isn't the best one. Awesome.
I'm glad somebody else agrees too.
It's not the money that's an issue for me. It's the lack of effort and taking advantage of superior hardware.

I still don't know how Japanese companies don't understand basic PC functions. Resolution should be a non issue. Framerates shoud be a non issue. AA should be a non issue. And in most Western titles, they are.

You realize the message that sends to devs is more likely "we want a good port or no PC port" and, at least for me, I would rather have a PC port than none. Especially since I don't have a PS4/Xbone.

Edit: You can do what you want though. To be clear.
Guys I watched all of JoJo! It is so good and I can't wait to see what happens next (I'm too lazy to read it though). Truly a bizarre adventure!

No, go read it you nerd. Part 4 is one of the best parts and it's not going to get an anime adaptation until a few years from now.
Yiss. Do it nerd.

360pages

That seems like a really silly reason not to buy the game. I can understand not getting the PC version, but not getting the game completely seems alien to me.

Like not buying Bayo 1 because it had a shitty PS3 version even if I was playing it on the 360.

I'd understand if you said "I'm not buying the PC version" but you're saying you're skipping out on the game entirely, and that's not fair. But I won't fight you on this as I'm not the person to try and change someone's values.
Unless they're being a dick. Being a dick isn't cool

That's because for a lot of games, its not. No one is gonna enjoy the game any less if its not optimal, unless it gives you headaches to see non optimal graphics. Then I just feel sorry for those people.
That's pretty much how I see things. If this were priced a bit higher I'd definitely be bothered by it, but to me for 15 bucks I can settle. It looks like a fun game and I'm a fan of the series and the developers, I can stand to not max out settings.

I'm glad somebody else agrees too.
Yeah, I also think X8 isn't the horrid dreck everyone makes it out to be. It fixes a lot of the issues I felt were starting to hold back the games starting at X4

Greater customizability in games is a legit reason for some people to choose to play on the pc and consoles suffer because of the lack of customizability.

Motion blur often leads me to lose sense of direction fairly quickly and sometimes it even makes me nausius. Not being able to turn that off can be a big deal for me.

But besides that, if a console port isn't actually unplayable or just plain worse than the console version I don't care. Whatever, the console game is the one I wanted to play in the first place. Of course, I wouldn't mind for it to be better than the original, but I'm not going to act smug about it if it is.

Oberon

Banned
So yeah, I just took a look at the money I have in disposal. Aaaaaand , I have make the decision, Bayonetta 1&2 first print edition or FOOD? And Oh yeah that not date isn't making my wallet any favors!

360pages

X8? I actually liked X8, more then X5 and X6 at least. Not a great game, but I think it oddly captured some of the feel that X1-3 had despite it being completely different from both of those games.

croten

So yeah, I just took a look at the money I have in disposal. Aaaaaand , I have make the decision, Bayonetta 1&2 first print edition or FOOD? And Oh yeah that not date isn't making my wallet any favors!

Could you get the normal version and food? Otherwise just go with food.

X8? I actually liked X8, more then X5 and X6 at least. Not a great game, but I think it oddly captured some of the feel that X1-3 had despite it being completely different from both of those games.
Im guessing im the only one that thought X7 was ok ;-; I beat that game like 20 times out of boredom.

Idk man, I mean when you think about it do you REEEEALLY need food?

I thought so too. The "speed" of it was much more enjoyable.

Jman014

Greater customizability in games is a legit reason for some people to choose to play on the pc and consoles suffer because of the lack of customizability.

Motion blur often leads me to lose sense of direction fairly quickly and sometimes it even makes me nausius. Not being able to turn that off can be a big deal for me.

But besides that, if a console port isn't actually unplayable or just plain worse than the console version I don't care. Whatever, the console game is the one I wanted to play in the first place. Of course, I wouldn't mind for it to be better than the original, but I'm not going to act smug about it if it is.

Yeah I'm going to buy it when it comes out. I wanna see what Korra did in those three weeks between books 2 and 3.

Rutti

You can live 2-3 weeks without eating.

Squishy3

Live in a country that doesn't have to pay extra for Bayonetta 1+2. :p

I completely agree. I don't support the idea of "its just a console port or maybe a little better = bad PC port = no buy." I think its dumb, but I'm trying to see it from their perspective of how spending a lot of money on a PC and not being able to play these games at optimal performance would be annoying.

If it got to the point where I'd actually give up on a game that looks amazing because of non optimal graphical options, that's the day I'd just give up on playing games in general.

Okay, to further clarify my point, I'm not buying the game, not because of the missing graphical features, but because of the missing basic features.

I don't really care about graphics. I often turn down graphical effects, even in games that I can run completely maxed out (BF4, I turn down effects to increase visibility).

If the option is there, something went wrong. It isn't hard, unless this shit is hidden away in a ini file (a la Ubisoft) but something makes me suspicious.

Again, the game could be great as hell, amazing, and everything, but I already have enough to play. I don't have to deal with half assed ports.

I guess its the shame car for me then...
tumblr_mlffqrD9QX1rj5ffko3_400.jpg

Squishy3

isn't that every country?
Bayonetta 2 is offered standalone in Europe, while Oberon wants to buy the First Print edition, which is essentially the CE (it's the one that comes with the angel book) and then there's one below that that is just Bayo 1+2.

That seems like a really silly reason not to buy the game. I can understand not getting the PC version, but not getting the game completely seems alien to me.

Like not buying Bayo 1 because it had a shitty PS3 version even if I was playing it on the 360.
It's a super silly reason. I am a very irrational person.

And I bought Bayonetta used. I was not a rich 17 year old.
I'd understand if you said "I'm not buying the PC version" but you're saying you're skipping out on the game entirely, and that's not fair. But I won't fight you on this as I'm not the person to try and change someone's values.
Unless they're being a dick. Being a dick isn't cool
I want the game to succeed, because it looks like a good game. I just don't to deal with half assed PC ports. Again, I am an irrational person.

Also, I don't buy multiplats for consoles anymore. If the PC port isn't up to my standards, than it's not getting a purchase at all.

360pages

Yeah, but at the same time I don't think the Korra game was made for PC in mind. I think they put it there so more people would have the ability to play it even if their specs weren't maxed out.

This is one time they really could have said "Fuck PC" and not put it on there, since it's a downloadable game and there probably wouldn't be a lot of uproar if it never was there.

Jman014

Legend Of Korra comes out Tomorrow.. GET HYPE

tumblr_n9dodnyq3D1rpw9gio5_500.gif

tumblr_n9bjt5tuct1sjlb94o1_500.gif

tumblr_n9bjt5tuct1sjlb94o5_500.gif

Aww YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
prettygirls1.gif
Apparently Platinum liked the show after watching it.

"It's so well-balanced. It's got interesting action, a really good story, comedy, and romance. In terms of story, we were really impressed by how it delves really deep into personal relationships. It's not the sort of maturity that you would expect from a regular children's program. We thought that was really interesting."

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/platinum-legend-of-korra

Legend Of Korra comes out Tomorrow.. GET HYPE
tumblr_n9bjt5tuct1sjlb94o1_500.gif

Aww YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Holy shit

We'll tell you all about how sick it was, Banana.

Apparently Platinum liked the show after watching it.

"It's so well-balanced. It's got interesting action, a really good story, comedy, and romance. In terms of story, we were really impressed by how it delves really deep into personal relationships. It's not the sort of maturity that you would expect from a regular children's program. We thought that was really interesting."

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/platinum-legend-of-korra

Good to see that Platinum agrees with... Everybody about Avatar

croten

Bayonetta 2 is offered standalone in Europe, while Oberon wants to buy the First Print edition, which is essentially the CE (it's the one that comes with the angel book) and then there's one below that that is just Bayo 1+2.

But the special edition that just comes with 1+2 is still cheaper than the first print version right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom