• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYkJ5mqj66A
That's the top video you get when you search for the title of the show.
WHY DOES SHE OPEN HER BLOUSE? IDK! WHY DOES SHE KISS HIM TO GIVE HIM BLOOD RATHER THAN JUST PUT HER FUCKING WRIST TO HIS MOUTH? IDK!
The show makes absolutely no sense and just does things for no reason.

I would think the art style would be a dead giveaway that it's probably going to be trash, no anime I have seen looking like that has ever been anything good or even respectable.

Yeah Korra game is awesome, those reviews are ridiculous.
It's as fun as you'd expect, and the style switching is the tops.
I remember seeing some stream of the guy just using one style when she didn't have her bending, and it was horribly slow, and this actually put people off the game, which is a dang shame. It's like showing someone Bayonetta and only mashing the weak attack without dodging or using weapons.

I would think the art style would be a dead giveaway that it's probably going to be trash, no anime I have seen looking like that has ever been anything good or even respectable.

It's trash on a whole new level. The only good thing about it is that 'your waifu is shit' gif.

Edit: I mean this one
PQkOqUE.gif

Xiraiya

I'm sure there are better things to waste our time talking about than anime that doesn't deserve attention.

Such as this I saw
A bit over the top but the Liam one pretty much sums up some of my issues with him, Pat came off looking pretty good!

croten

I'm sure there are better things to waste our time talking about than anime that doesn't deserve attention.

Such as this I saw

A bit over the top but the Liam one pretty much sums up some of my issues with him, Pat came off looking pretty good!

That's a bit extreme. I'm not sure I like that at all.

Such as this I saw

A bit over the top???

Might as well taken a hatchet to Liam.

Xiraiya

Even the haters love Pat. And the rest, eh, there's truth to a lot of it, but the Liam one seems entirely subjective. Nobody's perfect.

Liam does like some things that I find my self agreeing with, my real issue really with Liam is the whole devil's advocate schtick, but I've already rambled on about that.

I also never really minded Matt's Simpsons quotes.

Liam does like some things that I find my self agreeing with, my real issue really with Liam is the whole devil's advocate schtick, but I've already rambled on about that.

I also never really minded Matt's Simpsons quotes.

He seems to have cutback on that, but it really only bothered me when it was a discussion I didn't care about.

My problem with the Simpsons quotes isn't that I don't get them, but more that they are a little too common for my tastes, to the point where he barely makes original jokes on the podcast.

Xiraiya

Even the haters love Pat. And the rest, eh, there's truth to a lot of it, but the Liam one seems entirely subjective. Nobody's perfect.

There is a whole bunch of truth in it, but you can pretty much do that with every person on the planet and make it sound real bad, so it's not really a reason to totally dislike them, Woolie seems like a bro, which isn't directly related to how good/bad he might be at most games.

Duplolas

Banned

Such as this I saw

I honestly like Liam.

I mean, he was way better when he was more of the timid, talks barely at all, kind of guy. Where he knew when to interject and make jokes here and there.

He was George Costanza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaaZZN9VYs

I think as he got comfortable being part of the show, he has gotten kind of too comfortable. Before he used to think a while before inputing something, now he just does it without thinking at all (sometimes).

Such as this I saw

This is rather petty. Not sure why someone would go out of their way to make this.

Xiraiya

My problem with the Simpsons quotes isn't that I don't get them, but more that they are a little too common for my tastes, to the point where he barely makes original jokes on the podcast.

The thing about Matt is I often feel like he's never really "there" in the moment, like in really old videos with Just him and Pat playing stuff it's pretty even, but often I really feel like Matt sounds like he probably doesn't have time to be sitting around playing games and would rather be doing real life stuff instead, this is true even in podcasts somewhat frequently, he seems like a pretty distracted individual most of the time, Woolie too has moments like that sometimes, where as Pat and Liam always seem really focused on what's going on in the moment in discussion and when playing games, no matter what it is.

The real eye opener to me was the one where they had a doll in his place and I got about an hour into it before I was like "Wait Matt's not even there?"

Dlent

So uh, Pat said a really weird sort of hypocritical thing that stuck out at me on the podcast. "Thank god Xrd won't feel like BlazBlue," is a really weird thing to say when you're gushing over a game every week that runs on the exact same engine. Before CP where everything was sped up, Blazblue and Persona had the exact same hitstop, superflash frames, stage intros, etc.
For all intents and purposes, Persona was just BlazBlue with different characters and a few universal mechanics like autocombos. I get it if he's saying Guilty Gear shouldn't feel like BlazBlue, but it's jarring to hear him say that the feel of BlazBlue is so bad when it's literally exactly the same as his current favorite Arcsys game.
Maybe I'm overreacting to Pat being Pat though.

What it feels like to me is that he's way less of a nerd than the others. Not saying that's bad or true in anyway, since I don't know them, but the way the podcasts play out is similar to experiences I've had talking nerd shit with people and there's someone who doesn't know or care about it that just kind of sits there, interjecting occasionally.

DP, shit.

Xiraiya

"They've got that bro voice."
I have no goddamn clue.

I know what he's trying to say, but I don't hear it, especially not with Pat, Matt I guess Icould understand it sometimes since he can occasionally come across kind of wishy washy sounding which is what I would associate with dudebros.

Unit24

I'm hung up buying Korra for the silliest of reasons: I don't know if I should get the PC or PS3 version. Sure, the PC version will definitely look and run better, but I feel like I'd rather play it on my TV (no I am not going to plug my PC into my TV), as well as be able to bring it over to a friend's house.

I'm hung up buying Korra for the silliest of reasons: I don't know if I should get the PC or PS3 version. Sure, the PC version will definitely look and run better, but I feel like I'd rather play it on my TV (no I am not going to plug my PC into my TV), as well as be able to bring it over to a friend's house.

Play it on pc bro, fuck your friend. Not only do you get the superior experience, you get to alt-tab and post about it to us. Much better.

Xiraiya

What it feels like to me is that he's way less of a nerd than the others. Not saying that's bad or true in anyway, since I don't know them, but the way the podcasts play out is similar to experiences I've had talking nerd shit with people and there's someone who doesn't know or care about it that just kind of sits there, interjecting occasionally.

DP, shit.

Well, maybe but I don't know if it's quite that because in some ways he's way more of a nerd than the others.

Such as this I saw

This seems more like something that doesn't deserve our attention, honestly.

Duplolas

Banned
I honestly think that the show should be a bit more indie oriented. From what I have seen, everyone that is part of the show knows almost everything that is in the news.

They hop on projects early on, make friends with devs, and even get some of their stuff put in the game, such was the case with Shovel Knight and a few other games.

I cannot think of any Lets Players on youtube who go deep into Indie Game "culture" I guess you could say.

And with the Xbone and PS4 getting more support for Indie game devs, it seems to me that switching their focus to lesser known titles would be a good idea.

I don't mean that they should completely focus on Indie games of course, have your Dark Souls LPs too.

Just my opinion. :3

So uh, Pat said a really weird sort of hypocritical thing that stuck out at me on the podcast. "Thank god Xrd won't feel like BlazBlue," is a really weird thing to say when you're gushing over a game every week that runs on the exact same engine. Before CP where everything was sped up, Blazblue and Persona had the exact same hitstop, superflash frames, stage intros, etc.
For all intents and purposes, Persona was just BlazBlue with different characters and a few universal mechanics like autocombos. I get it if he's saying Guilty Gear shouldn't feel like BlazBlue, but it's jarring to hear him say that the feel of BlazBlue is so bad when it's literally exactly the same as his current favorite Arcsys game.
Maybe I'm overreacting to Pat being Pat though.

I dunno, GG and BB feel completely different in terms of gameplay. Same with Persona Arena.

Well, maybe but I don't know if it's quite that because in some ways he's way more of a nerd than the others.

I think it's that he's a nerd about things that the others aren't nearly as nerdy about, as where the others have slowly become more similar over the course of the podcast. Woolie now likes Dark Souls and Persona, not to mention both Woolie and Pat talking a lot more about anime recently for some reason, so Matt just doesn't have a ton to say on the subjects they discuss in depth.

croten

I honestly think that the show should be a bit more indie oriented. From what I have seen, everyone that is part of the show knows almost everything that is in the news.

They hop on projects early on, make friends with devs, and even get some of their stuff put in the game, such was the case with Shovel Knight and a few other games.

I cannot think of any Lets Players on youtube who go deep into Indie Game "culture" I guess you could say.

And with the Xbone and PS4 getting more support for Indie game devs, it seems to me that switching their focus to lesser known titles would be a good idea.

I don't mean that they should completely focus on Indie games of course, have your Dark Souls LPs too.

Just my opinion. :3

NorthernLion, JsmithOTI, Rockleesmile, PlayerUno, Beartaffy. These guys almost exclusively play indie games

Not everyone can contribute about everything all the time. Get the topic on Godzilla or The Punisher
or The Simpsons
and Matt's the guy you want to talk to.

That's the way I feel when you guys talk about Persona, most I can do is call your waifu shit just to get a rise out of people. I have no way of playing it and I'm not buying a vita for it. Oh well, at least there is anime bullshit I can get in on.

Xiraiya

I think it's that he's a nerd about things that the others aren't nearly as nerdy about, as where the others have slowly become more similar over the course of the podcast. Woolie now likes Dark Souls and Persona, not to mention both Woolie and Pat talking a lot more about anime recently for some reason, so Matt just doesn't have a ton to say on the subjects they discuss in depth.
Yeah that is true, I think it's that and in general he probably has had way too much on his mind to really care about games/animes as much as the others.

This seems more like something that doesn't deserve our attention, honestly.
It sparked a pretty good on topic discussion, most of that stuff was definitely phrased pretty meanly but is also pretty close to the truth when you get right down to it, doesn't mean those flaws make them lesser or anything.

Xiraiya

Not everyone can contribute about everything all the time. Get the topic on Godzilla or The Punisher
or The Simpsons
and Matt's the guy you want to talk to.
That's the way I feel when you guys talk about Persona, most I can do is call your waifu shit just to get a rise out of people. I have no way of playing it and I'm not buying a vita for it. Oh well, at least there is anime bullshit I can get in on.

I REALLY want to play P4G, both my girlfriend and I want to play through that, we'd go the Rise route because ofcourse.

But I have never actually played a Persona game, I've watched the P4 Anime which was great, that's about it.

croten

I REALLY want to play P4G, both my girlfriend and I want to play through that, we'd go the Rise route because ofcourse.

But I have never actually played a Persona game, I've watched the P4 Anime which was great, that's about it.

Ah, no wonder you're wrong.

If you have any interest in playing the other Persona games then I highly suggest you don't start with P4G.

Xiraiya

I don't dislike the others, the cast is pretty great in general, but I like Rise the most just because I always take an interest in those characters that seem kind of typical and shallow in concept but actually have more to them once you look past that.

If you have any interest in playing the other Persona games then I highly suggest you don't start with P4G.
I don't really have a vested interest in the overall story of Persona, I just enjoyed the story of 4. P3 might be interesting but nothing really stands out about the earlier games for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom