• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember watching this fight 3 years ago when I was all over gory Anime.
Quit interesting how they use the mythos of dracula abilty of transforming into a wolf and fog

Alucard is the best Vampire. I stand by this. There's so much cool shit in there tied to Dracula mythos and the last few episodes are all fucking incredible.

I'm making a friend go through it in a bit and I'm super hype on the series again because of the Halloweens.

I liked the British accents in Hellsing Ultimate, and this is coming from a British person or maybe i just haven't heard enough of it in animes

Most of them are great or fine, namely Integra, but Seras is super fucking fake and obnoxious, as well as the general quality of her actor being way below everyone else, which is a shame because she's one of the best characters and has all of her bad-ass moments ruined.

croten

Alucard is the best Vampire. I stand by this. There's so much cool shit in there tied to Dracula mythos and the last few episodes are all fucking incredible.

I'm making a friend go through it in a bit and I'm super hype on the series again because of the Halloweens.

Most of them are great or fine, namely Integra, but Seras is super fucking fake and obnoxious, as well as the general quality of her actor being way below everyone else, which is a shame because she's one of the best characters and has all of her bad-ass moments ruined.

I watched the bad Hellsing anime, I should get around to ultimate

I watched the bad Hellsing anime, I should get around to ultimate

Oh god, you definitely need to watch Ultimate, that first one is a heaping pile of poopy ass dicks. Except that OST... Oh god that OST is so fucking good I wanna rub it all over myself and live like that.

Tskihime is also about Vampires, though the main Vampire is more of a god then a Vampire.

Does he look this cool?
YUHx3nz.gif

360pages

I'm still pushing Tsukihime, the female lead is oddly enough called Arcueid.

Also, do not watch the anime, either read the VN or Manga. But god, don't watch the anime that doesn't even exist.

img-thing

360pages

So its Demonbane?

Yes, the Anime gets all the characters wrong, the artstyle is shit and it's even a meme among the fandom that they never made one.

And holy shit, don't look at the Korra game after looking at the Storm games. the different in quality and animations will be super jarring.

360pages

YO WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT KORRA?

Any one else thinks earth bending feels kinda shitty?

That's because the games pacing is fucked!

They really didn't need to do the plot where she loses all her bending again. A plot where she loses the Avatar state and she needs to get it back would have been fine. It gets better when you level it up, but it won't be very good when you reach the end of the game.

Yes, the Anime gets all the characters wrong, the artstyle is shit and it's even a meme among the fandom that they never made one.

And holy shit, don't look at the Korra game after looking at the Storm games. the different in quality and animations will be super jarring.
Why would I ever compare Korra to the Storm games?

God the Demonbane anime is so shit. Look at this amazing animation!
tumblr_n3f28kj2XT1rjxyrgo5_400.gif
What even is that design tho. That just looks bad regardless of how poorly the show is animated.

360pages

Why would I ever compare Korra to the Storm games?

What even is that design tho. That just looks bad regardless of how poorly the show is animated.

I was really just playing it back to back, so I noticed it, but to be fair the storm games are like 60$.

I wished the Korra game was longer as well as gave you more to start off with. Like letting you lose two of the elements or something, just so you can do somethings.

That's because the games pacing is fucked!

They really didn't need to do the plot where she loses all her bending again. A plot where she loses the Avatar state and she needs to get it back would have been fine. It gets better when you level it up, but it won't be very good when you reach the end of the game.

Yea, I can kinda see why people would give this game 4s and 3s. It really feels super unnecessary to have a pointless unlock skills type

Once you've got all your bending and leveled them up it feels really good.

And that in itself is a massive problem.

First hour impressions with Korra. I'm playing this on PC with a GTX 660, an AMD FX-8320 processor, and 8 gigs of ram. This will just be about mechanics, nothing spoilery about the story. I'm playing on normal difficulty first.

Game is smooth as silk so far. I haven't experienced a single hiccup, not even in the opening sequence. I suspect that even someone with a lower end computer could run this without any problem.

The opening is a little slow to start, and the game doesn't exactly explain things right away. However, the mechanics aren't difficult. Korra can shift her attack/bending style with the bumper buttons on the Xbox controller, and you can do this in between combos it appears. I'll have to experiment with it once I get more bending styles. Right trigger is dodge, left trigger is block/parry. Jump with A, X is light attack, Y is heavy. B I haven't seen used other than as a finisher prompt or a QTE prompt (thus far, just escaping a snare).

Your parry window is probably a little larger than MGR was, but it's still extremely satisfying to land a parry. I've just gotten Waterbending back, and it allows you to do distance finishers which are extremely pleasing to use and have the added effect of doing some damage around you while you're "winding up" the finisher. As a fun note, using a particular bending levels up that bending, granting you bonuses such as extra health or extended charge times for your attacks. Every attack has a charge period to build up "chi," granting additional damage (and I presume allowing for dodge offsets).

Occasionally (I hope more than once), you'll hop on the back of Korra's pet Naga for a Temple Run-esque minigame. Since I was/am addicted to that game, I fucking love these sections, but I can understand why some people don't like them.

As you play you earn the game's version of XP, Spirit Energy, though combos, end of chapter bonuses, and vanity items that you find in chests spread out around the level. The vanity items can't be equipped, they're just bonus Energy when you get to the end of the level. You spend this energy in the shop to unlock more of your combos or additional effect items, akin to Bayonetta's shop system.

Everything feels pretty good so far. Korra isn't exactly floaty, and the attacks have solid impacts and effects on the mobs you face. Her dodge is fine, but parrying feels so rewarding.

My only gripe so far is that I really want the camera to be pulled back further. I couldn't find an FOV slider in the options, but it's entirely possible I'm blind. I also don't like having the lock on assigned to pressing down on my movement stick, but the way the game makes use of the shoulder buttons, I understand why they did that.

I'll have an official verdict once I feel like I've played more of the game, but thus far I have highly positive impressions!

Shots fucking fired

I'm just fucking with him, nothing serious. Though really, everywhere I go on here he seems to be disagreeing with some generally positive opinion on something for some reason or another that on the outside at least seems to entirely be based on semantics. Just look at this thread, most of his posts here are just him arguing with someone about something or saying something someone else likes is shit. It's at the very least easy to poke fun at.

Alfebit

Banned
Yea, I can kinda see why people would give this game 4s and 3s. It really feels super unnecessary to have a pointless unlock skills type

And that in itself is a massive problem.

Oh no, I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just having a ton of fun playing through it a second time with all the bending skills unlocked.

Village

Good thing Nazis weren't just added in, since it's the crux of the entire plot and everything is wrapped around it.

And still not interesting, apperently nazi's adding to one of the most generic retold demon/vampire child stories of all time , not interesting.

Also the character desgn alot of the art style didn't age well imo, like gambit. " like I can see the time period where someone thought this design was good , that time has long past "

Another thing the series fucked up, the original is pretty overdesigned, but it's still cool, they just like, added a shit ton of colors and weirdness to it in the show.

Here's how it looks in the VN.
That's actually not too bad. A bit too over the top for my taste, but cool in it's own way.

I was really just playing it back to back, so I noticed it, but to be fair the storm games are like 60$.

I wished the Korra game was longer as well as gave you more to start off with. Like letting you lose two of the elements or something, just so you can do somethings.
I feel like people overhyped that game a lot as well.. because Platinum. From what I gather it's still a pretty enjoyable experience for the most part and a cool step into the genre for people who otherwise might not have played a game like that. It certainly seems like more than I could've expected from a 15 dollar, downloadable only, licensed game for a western cartoon. Biggest issue it seems to have is pacing.

It's Platinum tho so everything they make should be 10/10 would sacrifice my firstborn child for another copy if I ever were to lose it somehow.
It's obvious that all the big boys were busy working on Bayonetta 2, but it still seems worth my 15 dollars euro's.

Buying it right now, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom