• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emouse

DMC HD collection on PSN sale this week, get or nah?

I only ever played some of DMC3(?) as a kid, did play DmC: DMC earlier in the year and it was gross

Emouse

I would say HELL YES. Do you like Platinum games?

From the ones I've played yeah I do a lot, looking forward to my first time with bayo 1&2 this week, and Korra later today

I remember next to nothing from my play time with the old DMC, do they still hold up today, in terms of speed and systems? I'm by no means any good at these games but I enjoy the gameplay, and the challenge somewhat adds to the experience

hD2A3A5B5

/dead

I only ever played some of DMC3(?) as a kid, did play DmC: DMC earlier in the year and it was gross

*Reminded once again I dont have a PS3...*
Yes get it, the first one still holds up. Dunno about 2 though, never played it.

croten

one still

Yes, the two devil may cry games in the collection are the some greatest games of all time. The third one still holds up but I don't know about the first one

I own a Wii U because I had faith in nintendo, so I and my two brothers bought one. But then I went to college and my Wii U stayed at home. Now I own a Wii U, but at the critical moment, It's not with me.

I'll just take it next time I'm home from school. It's fiiiine.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
From the ones I've played yeah I do a lot, looking forward to my first time with bayo 1&2 this week, and Korra later today

I remember next to nothing from my play time with the old DMC, do they still hold up today, in terms of speed and systems? I'm by no means any good at these games but I enjoy the gameplay, and the challenge somewhat adds to the experience

DMC3 continues to be one of the greatest action games of all time. It has aged very well, and the control+systems are still sublime. You can even turn on Turbo for a 20% increase in overall game speed if the game feels too slow for you.

DMC1 is dripping with atmosphere, and while the combat is comparatively basic, there are a ton of intricacies to it, such as enemy weaknesses and critical hits. DMC1 is a game that literally defined the entire genre. Fixed cameras can arguably be an issue sometimes, however, which was a holdover from when DMC1 was originally supposed to be RE4.

Both games are challenging/rewarding in their own way. DMC3 is often considered to be the hardest of the series.

The HD port itself is very good. Barebones, but solid. You won't get a ton of extras, but the games have been cleaned up aside from FMVs.

DMC3 continues to be one of the greatest action games of all time. It has aged very well, and the control+systems are still sublime. You can even turn on Turbo for a 20% increase in overall game speed if the game feels too slow for you.

DMC1 is dripping with atmosphere, and while the combat is comparatively basic, there are a ton of intricacies to it, such as enemy weaknesses and critical hits. DMC1 is a game that literally defined the entire genre. Fixed cameras can arguably be an issue sometimes, however, which was a holdover from when DMC1 was originally supposed to be RE4.

The HD port itself is very good. Barebones, but solid. You won't get a ton of extras, but the games have been cleaned up aside from FMVs.

What about that DMC2. You know, everyone's favorite.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What about that DMC2. You know, everyone's favorite.

DMC2 should be viewed as an shining example of why DMC3 became such a gem of a game. Every single glaring flaw from a design, story, character, and combat standpoint that existed in DMC2 was fixed and improved in DMC3 (much from contribution and feedback from the community). I would really only suggest playing it to serve as a contrast to the other two games. They look that much better by comparison.

The only good thing about DMC2 is arguably the Dante design. The game did, however, have the first Bloody Palace Mode, and featured the fledgling version of the style button that we know today... so in that sense, it did actually contribute to the evolution of the series.

croten

DMC2 should be viewed as an shining example of why DMC3 became such a gem of a game. Every single glaring flaw from a design, story, character, and combat standpoint that existed in DMC2 was fixed and improved in DMC3 (much from contribution and feedback from the community). I would really only suggest playing it to serve as a contrast to the other two games. They look that much better by comparison.

The only good thing about DMC2 is arguably the Dante design. The game did, however, have the first Bloody Palace Mode, and featured the fledgling version of the style button that we know today... so in that sense, it did actually contribute to the evolution of the series.

DMC3 was the cure to DMC2s virus.

That's the exact reason I canceled my pre order lol. I went to shitty gamestop to pre order it because I want bayo for the weekend
Not an option for me ;_; I just shelled out for one day shipping and it's guareenting release day now.

For somebody who pays for Prime, this really sucks.

Emouse

Both games are challenging/rewarding in their own way. DMC3 is often considered to be the hardest of the series.

Wow okay that's sold me, glad to see its a good HD port seeing as there's been issue with a few in the past, namely the silent hill and ZOE pre patch.

Is DMC4 worth a look after I'm done with these?

croten

Wow okay that's sold me, glad to see its a good HD port seeing as there's been issue with a few in the past, namely the silent hill and ZOE pre patch.

Absolutely, DMC4 is fantastic. The only real problem is the horrid level design but the combat is basically perfect.

Definitely, it does a lot to give you a ton of freedom from a combat standpoint, even if the "game" (enemies, levels, etc) isn't as great as DMC1 or 3, it's still very enjoyable to play and has Uncle Dante.

Play it after DMC1 and 3, but do play it. If you have a gaming PC, it has a stellar port.
Yeah that really sucks because amazon prime is amazing. I'm curious as to why Amazon can't have it delivered on release day tho
No idea. I'm really dissapointed. Maybe they have limited copies stored and have a second shipment/printing coming in Monday?

The reviews boosted sales a ton.

ultimax

Not an option for me ;_; I just shelled out for one day shipping and it's guareenting release day now.

Yeah that really sucks because amazon prime is amazing. I'm curious as to why Amazon can't have it delivered on release day tho

I cancelled my old order and put in a new one. Guaranteed Friday delivery.

DMC4 is the greatest combat engine ever put into a video game. Yes, it is worth a look.

Emouse

Absolutely, DMC4 is fantastic. The only real problem is the horrid level design but the combat is basically perfect.

Definitely, it does a lot to give you a ton of freedom from a combat standpoint, even if the "game" (enemies, levels, etc) isn't as great as DMC1 or 3, it's still very enjoyable to play and has Uncle Dante.

Play it after DMC1 and 3, but do play it. If you have a gaming PC, it has a stellar port

DMC4 is the greatest combat engine ever put into a video game. Yes, it is worth a look.

Alright then, sounds great, I'll pick it up at some point, thanks frienders!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

If you have trouble with any of the games, feel free to post about it. There are plenty of diehards on GAF (and in this thread) that can give solid starting advice so you don't get stuck anywhere.

DMC4 is a fantastic action game and still looks beautiful today. It features, what is arguably, the deepest combat for a character in any action game ever (DMC4 Dante). It also features what I believe to be an elegant combination of simpler controls/options paired with incredible depth with canceling/just frames in Nero.

The game is not without its flaws. It suffers from pretty severe backtracking and pacing issues. The story is fairly silly, and boss fights simply aren't as good as DMC3's. I think DMC4 really had the potential to really be on the level of DMC3 overall, but it was just a little undercooked. Still, the combat is what you're here for, and the game has it in spades.

The PC version is absolutely the way to go if you can (the game scales well on lower performance machines). Higher graphical fidelity, 120fps, resolution options, Legendary Dark Knight Mode, and Turbo. It regularly goes for $5.00 on Steam sales. The 360 or PS3 versions also both run at 60fps with no real drops, so you can't go wrong with either. PS3 version is missing trophies, however, if that matters for you.

Right+back+at+ya+B+tch+.+Game+Devil+may+cry+4+Can_a942db_4381297.gif

eSeUbkZ.gif

If you have trouble with any of the games, feel free to post about it. There are plenty of diehards on GAF (and in this thread) that can give solid starting advice so you don't get stuck anywhere.

DMC4 is a fantastic action game and still looks beautiful today. It features, what is arguably, the deepest combat for a character in any action game ever (DMC4 Dante). It also features what I believe to be an elegant combination of simpler controls/options paired with incredible depth with canceling/just frames in Nero.

The game is not without its flaws. It suffers from pretty severe backtracking and pacing issues. The story is fairly silly, and boss fights simply aren't as good as DMC3's. I think DMC4 really had the potential to really be on the level of DMC3 overall, but it was just a little undercooked. Still, the combat is what you're here for, and the game has it in spades.

The PC version is absolutely the way to go if you can (the game scales well on lower performance machines). Higher graphical fidelity, 120fps, resolution options, Legendary Dark Knight Mode, and Turbo. It regularly goes for $5.00 on Steam sales. The 360 or PS3 versions also both run at 60fps with no real drops, so you can't go wrong with either.

Y'all are gonna make me buy the HDCollection and DMC 4 if you keep talking about it. I've always wanted to play it, but just haven't ever gotten the chance to do so.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You should buy the HD collection(, especially since it's apparently on sale on PSN now.)

It's actually still listed as $29.99 when I go to the store. Is it supposed to go on sale later?

Y'all are gonna make me buy the HDCollection and DMC 4 if you keep talking about it. I've always wanted to play it, but just haven't ever gotten the chance to do so.

Do you have a halfway decent PC?

Oh god, Wii U threads make me want to die. I hope Dok doesn't try and fight in them.
Okay. Like I said, it's a really dumb thing. But I can't sleep so, here's a dumb thing. :p
Really dumb.
10/10 It's ok.
I think I will wait untll the Guacamelee ends to watch it. It seems like the perfect LP to marathon later.
Been watching it in 3-4 episode chunks, it's gotten a good deal better than the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom