• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

PSN is such a fucking mess. You can only add necessary funds via Paypal through the PS3 itself, on the website you can only do it in fixed amounts. Why can I not fucking do it at checkout on the damn webstore?

Also, I can't even add the necessary funds from Paypal through my PS3 because it keeps having a fucking SSL handshake error, and then locks up the Playstation Store forcing me to quit out. God dammit Sony.

Just finished Korra on expert. That game is easy as hell, definitely the easiest platinum game I've played. I think the main difficulty is getting used to the combat system but once you get it down it's really simple. I managed to get better medals on my expert play through than on my Normal one. Wind bending is also super OP.

Well obviously it's a lot more difficult when you don't have all your bending. Still have to finish the game (just got my airbending back) but I'm having a blast with it. I really don't see where all the "this game is awful" comments are coming from. It's not Bayo 2 but seeing people take game reviewers word for gospel without playing the game is just disgusting.

This really could be platinum's god hand.

croten

Well obviously it's a lot more difficult when you don't have all your bending. Still have to finish the game (just got my airbending back) but I'm having a blast with it. I really don't see where all the "this game is awful" comments are coming from. It's not Bayo 2 but seeing people take game reviewers word for gospel without playing the game is just disgusting.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad. I love it, it's just really easy.

I'm a little bit shook over all this terrorist nonsense considering I have family in Ottawa. I think i'm gonna go lie down. I think playing Korra a bit more will calm me down..

Unit24

I think the problem is that reviewers only play through the game once, when it's really meant to be replayed after you get all of your bending powers, because that's when the combat really shines. And to be fair, you really should get the bending powers sooner. The beginning of the game is a massive slog without them. Plus, there are some enemy attacks that are utter bullshit the first time through because there's no way to anticipate them.

Just another example of the initial playthrough of a Platinum game being the shittiest. I think that's something they should really work on.

If I didn't keep my Wii for GC games, it'd be gone a long time after buying the Wii U.

Remember that the Wii U has access to the Wii's Library and I believe the Wii VC games. 300 dollars for the console buys you into a lot of games if you never touched a Wii. Compared to the offerings Sony and MS are currently offering, it's a nice compromise.

It's budget for AAA gaming at least. If we were to delve into OD budget gaming, I'd bring up the Ouya or Onlive or really terrible budget options.
BC is a really good point. It's a great point for any console to have, but it is harder than it looks.

The Xbox 360 had, basically, an Xbox emulator, and it did the best job an emulator could do. The PS3 had stuffed a PS2 into the first couple of SKUs, and with the addition of the blu-ray, the price skyrocketed.

BC would have been completely impossible for the PS and Xbox families. Their systems are completely different. Nintendo doesn't have that problem.

The Wii U is lost potential, the console. It should have came out earlier. It should have been more powerful. It could have done so much, if Nintendo didn't sit on their hands, and do nothing.

360pages

I think the problem is that reviewers only play through the game once, when it's really meant to be replayed after you get all of your bending powers, because that's when the combat really shines. And to be fair, you really should get the bending powers sooner. The beginning of the game is a massive slog without them. Plus, there are some enemy attacks that are utter bullshit the first time through because there's no way to anticipate them.

Just another example of the initial playthrough of a Platinum game being the shittiest. I think that's something they should really work on.

I don't think it was as extreme as in Bayo and what not because despite not having everything Bayo still had a lot to work with and you get some of the best weapons 6 chapters in that game.

Also helps that Bayo is twice as long.

Unit24

I don't think it was as extreme as in Bayo and what not because despite not having everything Bayo still had a lot to work with and you get some of the best weapons 6 chapters in that game.

Bayo 2 will probably have the least shitty initial playthrough out of all of their games, because it's the sequel to a game that everybody's had the chance to get used to.

I'm on Ch.6 and I never found any enemies really unfair. If you take time to understand them they're simple to fight. The most annoying ones are probably the electric gauntlet guys, because they dodge and can block your bending.

I think platinum games are good at first playthroughs. Obviously the harder ones are better because you have more skills available to you, but if people don't want to replay a game on more challenging difficulties, I really don't understand why they even play this genre of games.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad. I love it, it's just really easy.

That's fair. I'd hope they have more difficulty settings like their other games, but it is a 15 dollar game.

I'm a little bit shook over all this terrorist nonsense considering I have family in Ottawa. I think i'm gonna go lie down. I think playing Korra a bit more will calm me down..

Damn, hope everything ends up ok.

PSN is such a fucking mess. You can only add necessary funds via Paypal through the PS3 itself, on the website you can only do it in fixed amounts. Why can I not fucking do it at checkout on the damn webstore?

Also, I can't even add the necessary funds from Paypal through my PS3 because it keeps having a fucking SSL handshake error, and then locks up the Playstation Store forcing me to quit out. God dammit Sony.

Eh, still better than when they had no paypal option at all.
But yeah, they need to fix it better.

Squishy3

I'm on Ch.6 and I never found any enemies really unfair. If you take time to understand them they're simple to fight. The most annoying ones are probably the electric gauntlet guys, because they dodge and can block your bending.

I think platinum games are good at first playthroughs. Obviously the harder ones are better because you have more skills available to you, but if people don't want to replay a game on more challenging difficulties, I really don't understand why they even play this genre of games.

That's fair. I'd hope they have more difficulty settings like their other games, but it is a 15 dollar game.

Damn, hope everything ends up ok.
The Extreme difficulty is pretty rough, though. The second encounter on Air Temple Island has a mech sitting on the bridge shooting it's electric tendrils from out of the ground and every single enemy is constantly throwing bolos at you.

Eh, still better than when they had no paypal option at all.
But yeah, they need to fix it better.
Literally the only thing they need to do is let you add the necessary funds via Paypal on the website.

Also the game's pacing was really tight. The game gave you a limited moveset, but it was enough to get by, and it gradually, yet noticeably opened up. The clear had a rough, but clear tutorial that taught you the basics of the mechanics, and in the beginning, the game encourages you to learn the mechanics better, while being accessible.

Lately, Platinum has dumped mechanics on you, and left you to git gud. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Welp, Ive fallen down the woolie hole.

I bought a Cammy Bishoujo and a Labyrs figure.

Whats has become of me.

Day 2 of Laser Eye Surgery, everything is covered in a soft halo. However I can see as good or better than I did with my glasses on before. Definitely worth it.
I have that same Labby Figma, it's pretty good. I'm not at home so I only have 1 pic
B0kcDx0CEAAUsJL.jpg

Shackzam

Guys, evil within is pretty fucking good. I'm on chapter 10 right now. I love all of the copyrights and all of the levels leading up to them.

360pages

Also the game's pacing was really tight. The game gave you a limited moveset, but it was enough to get by, and it gradually, yet noticeably opened up. The clear had a rough, but clear tutorial that taught you the basics of the mechanics, and in the beginning, the game encourages you to learn the mechanics better, while being accessible.

Lately, Platinum has dumped mechanics on you, and left you to git gud. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

DMC3 also did this really well, even though they just dump styles on you, the first two levels are pretty much made for experimenting with stuff. It also helps that you get level 2 of a style if you've been using it from the start near the end of chapter 4 in the game. And the final level at around chapter 18.

Zenfalcia

Since the topic of figures came up.

I was wondering which is a better, an expensive figure or a cheap figure? I feel like this question is too based on income levels and whether you can afford it or not..

Also, would people prefer a figure you can pose or a figure that does not? Assuming they are close in quality.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I was wondering which is a better, an expensive figure or a cheap figure? I feel like this question is too based on income levels and whether you can afford it or not..

Also, would people prefer a figure you can pose or a figure that does not? Assuming they are close in quality.

I'm not a figure expert, but price isn't the way to tell quality, you kinda have to do a lot of research into what the right brands are. I've got a revoltech Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann and it feels like its going to break every time I move any piece of it, as where for the same price I have a Eva Unit-01 that not only looks a thousand times better, poses way more and is sturdy as shit, but I don't know the brand of that one. Go into FigureGAF or PM GuardianE, since he should know about what brands are what.

But generally, it's probably best to just get the better figure, since you'll only regret it until you have it in your hands and can pose it way more than the worse one.

Posing depends on the thing, if it's from an action series I'd probably prefer to be able to pose it like the show in any way I want, as where if I got a Slice of Life or waifu character, I'd probably prefer them to just look good as a statue type thing.

Alfebit

Banned

Quality is what I would look for. And fuck joints, looks terrible on anything not a robut.

demidar

Also on the topic of figures, I always wonder how rich the people are that have walls of Ikea shelves lined up with figures in spacy rooms.

Also on the topic of figures, I always wonder how rich the people are that have walls of Ikea shelves lined up with figures in spacy rooms.

They're probably more well off than the average college student, but if you have a regularly well paying job, buying one $50-100 figure a month isn't that unreasonable and wouldn't take too long to get a pretty decently sized collection going. And if you go conventions you can find them cheaper, so there's also that.

Jman014

Well I just finished korra

5/10 thought it was ehhh

I wish the game had subtitles. I don't remember the name of the main villian but the symbol on his hat and the symbols on some of those chests throughout the game look like the symbol of the Red Lotus.

Zenfalcia

I'm not a figure expert, but price isn't the way to tell quality, you kinda have to do a lot of research into what the right brands are. I've got a revoltech Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann and it feels like its going to break every time I move any piece of it, as where for the same price I have a Eva Unit-01 that not only looks a thousand times better, poses way more and is sturdy as shit, but I don't know the brand of that one. Go into FigureGAF or PM GuardianE, since he should know about what brands are what.

But generally, it's probably best to just get the better figure, since you'll only regret it until you have it in your hands and can pose it way more than the worse one.

Posing depends on the thing, if it's from an action series I'd probably prefer to be able to pose it like the show in any way I want, as where if I got a Slice of Life or waifu character, I'd probably prefer them to just look good as a statue type thing.

Yeah. I'm planning to get one and have been doing some research.. except it's sold out alot... Unless i dish out 40 extra dollars to buy from a north american store..

Quality is what I would look for. And fuck joints, looks terrible on anything not a robut.

I dislike joints too.. it just ruins how the figure looks..

Probably average people who do nothing but spend money on figures etc.

Alfebit

Banned
I wish the game had subtitles. I don't remember the name of the main villian but the symbol on his head and the symbols on those chests throughout the game look like the symbol of the Red Lotus.

I think it was
Hoondoon or Voondoon or some shit like that. I also noticed what I assumed was the Red Lotus symbol. Maybe that was the connection to Book 3 they mentioned.

changed my avatar again since shitstorms more or less over and ORAS comes out next month
Flannery is the best and fuck you if you disagree

Nice choice.

ultimax

Guys, evil within is pretty fucking good. I'm on chapter 10 right now. I love all of the copyrights and all of the levels leading up to them.
I'm on chapter 6, and damn this game is super hype. I always feel over whelmed when I play it. It really is 2spooky4me

I wish the game had subtitles. I don't remember the name of the main villian but the symbol on his hat and the symbols on some of those chests throughout the game look like the symbol of the Red Lotus.

I couldn't name the villain either, I just called him necrolyte

Jman014

I think it was
Hoondoon or Voondoon or some shit like that. I also noticed what I assumed was the Red Lotus symbol. Maybe that was the connection to Book 3 they mentioned.

I hope that's the connection, otherwise I have no clue what it is. Too bad the story of the game will never be brought up or referenced in the show. Wasn't a fan of the Triple Threat Triad members being pallette swapped occasionall when it was just Viper, Two Toed Ping and the unnamed earthbender. I don't think the Triads had the same voice actors from the show. Oh well, two very minor gripes. How else would they explain it when you fight four Triads at the same time.

Price should only come up, if you are going to buy a figure, when it correlates with quality. If you plan on buying multiple figures, you should know by then if you can afford it. The hobby, like gaming, ain't cheap, so you gotta be aware of your budget.

I would prefer not having a figure that I can pose. I understand the appeal, but I don't like joints. I only have one figma, my Samus, but it's my least favorite because it.

Emouse

Price should only come up, if you are going to buy a figure, when it correlates with quality. If you plan on buying multiple figures, you should know by then if you can afford it. The hobby, like gaming, ain't cheap, so you gotta be aware of your budget.

I would prefer not having a figure that I can pose. I understand the appeal, but I don't like joints. I only have one figma, my Samus, but it's my least favorite because it.

That Samus figma is by far the worst figma because of the joints, I really like poseables myself and I hate that Samus fig

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It does depend on what you're looking for. Some people really like articulation in their figures, but those will generally be cheaper because of size, visible joints, and fewer details. They're usually not all that close in quality, and the price is an indicator of this. That's not to say there aren't really nice articulated figures, such as figmas, but they will just always have less detail than a similarly situated scale figure

I really appreciate detail and I don't really care about making my own poses, so this is why I usually prefer scale figures unless there are no other options (or only absurd options like Guts).

With higher prices come larger scale, manufacturer reliability, overall quality, options/extras, and popularity of the license. If you really like a character, you're going to want a nice figure of them. I don't think it's worth half-assing it. Just save up for that figure instead of settling on something quick. There are also deals and aftermarket/pre-owned prices as well, so you could always wait for a discount. The risk is that the figure may sell out, become highly sought after and go up in price. This happens on occasion.

If you're starting out, my suggestion is to browse myfigurecollection.net. It's the best database of figures (both announced and released) currently available and you can search by property, manufacturer, character, etc.

Yeah. I'm planning to get one and have been doing some research.. except it's sold out alot... Unless i dish out 40 extra dollars to buy from a north american store.

If you're looking for something in particular, let me know. Or browse FigureGAF. You can often find deals on Mandarake on figures sold out at the major distributors. Unless it's sought after like Momohime.

Guys, I think I might need to lock myself up to avoid going on a crazy rampage.
Friend of mine played the W101 demo, said he had no interest in the game, I told him the demo is a poor rep. of what the whole game is, he didn't believe me.
I tell him to get Bayo 2 cause it's made by the same developer, he says he has no interest in the game because of that, and even after I link him the review thread, he still doesn't want it.
He's one of 2 people I know that own a Wii U and he's not even doing it right.

Zenfalcia

I'm can afford both. Whether it is worth spending that much is a different story.. the figure/character i'm looking at varies from $30 and then $100 ish depending on the seller..

Figures with joints.. just look bad.. the joints on all the body parts really make the figure look bad.

That Samus figma is by far the worst figma because of the joints, I really like poseables myself and I hate that Samus fig

Does it just look bad or the joints ruin it?

BC is a really good point. It's a great point for any console to have, but it is harder than it looks.

The Xbox 360 had, basically, an Xbox emulator, and it did the best job an emulator could do. The PS3 had stuffed a PS2 into the first couple of SKUs, and with the addition of the blu-ray, the price skyrocketed.

BC would have been completely impossible for the PS and Xbox families. Their systems are completely different. Nintendo doesn't have that problem.

The Wii U is lost potential, the console. It should have came out earlier. It should have been more powerful. It could have done so much, if Nintendo didn't sit on their hands, and do nothing.

Nintendo is playing too conservative and acting the same way Apple produces their computer/phone/tablet segmentation. It's not sustainable to steal from apple when your playing behind Sony and MS.

I like posable figures, solely because I'm desperately attached to certain poses/shots from whatever it's from that are never represented in the scale ones. My Unit-01 is in a pose that would never get made into a figure, because it's from an ad for Evangelion themed cologne where Unit-01 is posed like a delinquent with his rifle on his shoulder.

ultimax

Friend of mine played the W101 demo, said he had no interest in the game, I told him the demo is a poor rep. of what the whole game is, he didn't believe me.
I tell him to get Bayo 2 cause it's made by the same developer, he says he has no interest in the game because of that, and even after I link him the review thread, he still doesn't want it.
Just fight him.

You need to get new friends.

Zenfalcia

Sure. Thanks for the helpful hints/comments/sites. I'll still doing some research so i dont regret my decision.. i'll send you a pm later if i have specific questions just so i dont flood about specifics.

Are second hand worth it? I'm afraid it'll be slightly damaged etc. that's just me being paranoid.

Edit: Made it shorter just so i dont take up so much space.. it's a minor thing i know..

Sure. Thanks for the helpful hints/comments/sites. I'll still doing some research so i dont regret my decision.. i'll send you a pm later if i have specific questions just so i dont flood about specifics.

Are second hand worth it? I'm afraid it'll be slightly damaged etc. that's just me being paranoid.
Preowned is okay. Just make sure you're getting what you are advertised. If it is damaged.

What are you planning to buy, anyway?
And what better way to do that than on your vita

(See Woolie, I can segway too)
Florida Man, the worst superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom