• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT THE FUCK.
That certainly didn't happen in the actual show. Is that like an alternate universe Simon or something? Why does he come off as evil? I mean, instead of the stars being their spiral brothers, now they're their enemies? Also Boota is there and I heard who I think is Yoko.

I know right! Ah, fuck, it's so good!

My theory is that
it is set during the war between the spiral and anti-spiral, and a crazier theory is that the man might be Kamina's dad.

I can't even articulate what I hated about it so much, but everything just felt bad. My biggest problem was the boss powers not being fun at all. I was using Storm Eagle's all the goddamn time, but I don't remember feeling like any of the powers in 2 were any more useful than the Megabuster.
For me it's mainly level design, enemies, and bosses. I always use the X buster so I never use boss weapons outside of boss weakness my first playthrough, but nearly everything nosedives in quality.

X2 feels mediocre, especially played back to back with the original. X3 is a lot better than 2, but doesn't begin to touch X1. It feels like 10/10 going to 7/10. X3 is like a 8/10.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT THE FUCK.
That certainly didn't happen in the actual show. Is that like an alternate universe Simon or something? Why does he come off as evil? I mean, instead of the stars being their spiral brothers, now they're their enemies? Also Boota is there and I heard who I think is Yoko.

The creator's said they forgot about it, so it was an outcome that was supposed to happen, but Team Gurren changed it with their burning hearts or something.

The creator's said they forgot about it, so it was an outcome that was supposed to happen, but Team Gurren changed it with their burning hearts or something.
I know they said that, but If they forgot about it, they sure did contrast it well considering the last words said in the show match it so well.

I'm more curious about how the "spin on" thing gets dropped. I think they say it in episode 2.
Golden Sun: Camelot Systems RPG game with summons called Djinns exclusive for the GBA. Solid RPG with cool powers and a limp but emotional story.
Hm. Interesting. Might see what the general consensus about it is.

Get X3 and Golden Sun, even though idk what Golden Sun is.

You're not wrong. Wait until if you played X4, and hell X5 onwards... Oh my god.

Golden Sun: Camelot Systems RPG game with summons called Djinns exclusive for the GBA. Solid RPG with cool powers and a limp but emotional story.

You have to experience the level of dumb Drakengard has. You won't believe it.

Pls no. Drakengard is a bad game. Just read it, if you are curious.

If you really can't stomach Drakengard 1's gameplay, then at least watch an LP of it, but you'll be losing out on one of the most unique experiences you'll have in a video game.

The games are completely self contained in the context of their own story, yet connect with each other very strongly. My recommendation is to play Drakengard 1 first. Not only will it give you the lore of the Drakengard/Nier universe, but it'll help set your expectations of what you're getting into gameplay wise.

I highly recommend it, but you don't absolutely have to.

La la la la la. La la la la la.

Seek not the watchers. Speak not the watchers.
I. Hear. A. Sound.

For real, Drakengard is the type of game that needs to be experienced first hand to get the fullest of what a miserable experience it is. It's like if Evangelion knew it would be a spiral into madness and capitalized it from the very start.

360pages

You have to get both Golden sun and Golden sun the lost age, they were supposed to be one giant game, but the GBA couldn't contain both. (You can notice this since the first game ends around level 28)

If you want to get into the series somewhat, Dark dawn isn't as good as the first games, but it's a good starting point.

ultimax

La la la la la. La la la la la.

Seek not the watchers. Speak not the watchers.
When I play drakengard 3, I'm gonna use the Caim costume for Zero for the lore. And so I have a constant reminder of the shit I had to go through and hope it wasn't all for nothing.

fuck drakengard 1

I. Hear. A. Sound.

For real, Drakengard is the type of game that needs to be experienced first hand because of the miserable experience. It's like if Evangelion knew it would be a spiral into madness and capitalized it from the very start.

It truly is a game that needs to be experienced first hand. I just can't recommend, cus it's le bad game.

I don't know how you were supposed to feel at the end of the game, but I felt feelings of extreme confusion, and an urge to set the game disk on fire.

I. Hear. A. Sound.

For real, Drakengard is the type of game that needs to be experienced first hand because of the miserable experience. It's like if Evangelion knew it would be a spiral into madness and capitalized it from the very start.

Exactly this. The game is such a unique experience that I can excuse the mediocre gameplay. The amount of subtle writing in the game is just so good and watching the games descent into its own shit is one of the most memorable experiences I've seen in a while.

When I play drakengard 3, I'm gonna use the Caim costume for Zero for the lore. And so I have a constant reminder of the shit I had to go through and hope it wasn't all for nothing.

fuck drakengard 1
I did the exact same thing, but only because Caim is just an awesome ax crazy sociopathic blood knight and I love his character so much.

fuck drakengard 1

Play Drakengard 3 by winter break so I can talk to you about why Caim is actually the greatest cool guy in the lore.

Hmm, all right. I mean, I don't care about irrelevant questions like those (though that answer is a "Yes"), but putting an insanely important scene at the beginning of your show, forgetting about it and never giving an explanation as to what it's meant to be within the current show we have seems pretty nuts. But eh, I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Even if they said "just ignore it, it's no longer canon", I'd be fine with it.

I'd normally hate everything about this situation in any other show, but just given the nature of how Gurren Lagann works, something not making any remote sense doesn't bother me at all.

hmm these are some really compelling arguments for and against Drakengard, I'm thinking I might grab it to experience this great divide
I feel the same. After this Platinum week and the next few weeks of a ton of games dies down, I think I should finally take the plunge. Everything I know about Drakengard 1, 3, and Nier looks awesome.
He drilled the heavens.
If there's a wall in the way we break it down, that's the way Team Dai-Gurren rolls!

I did the exact same thing, but only because Caim is just an awesome ax crazy sociopathic blood knight and I love his character so much.

Kaine is my favorite character from the series, but Caim is definitely in 2nd or 3rd along with Zero.

I don't wanna get into spoilers about him. I'll just way what an awesome character for a guy that
cant even fucking speak a word.

Hmm, all right. I mean, I don't care about irrelevant questions like those (though that answer is a "Yes"), but putting an insanely important scene at the beginning of your show, forgetting about it and never giving an explanation as to what it's meant to be within the current show we have seems pretty nuts. But eh, I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Even if they said "just ignore it, it's no longer canon", I'd be fine with it.
I felt like it's a good excuse for a bad ending since
saying all the lights in the sky are their enemy, means that hey went out and created the Spiral Nemesis that the Anti-spiral warns them about.

That's just a retcon explanation, but it really works considering the final words in the show are
all the lights in the sky are our friends.
Goddamn it, I have so much shit to watch but now I just want to rewatch Gurren again.
I got a Blu Ray version, it's so pretty.

I get the craving to rewatch my aniplex Gurren DVDs like every other week. Wanna wait a few years though to rewatch it so I can forget most of the minor things about it and remind myself how fucking good it is.

And of course, definitely going dubbed again

Id suggest you join toonami gaf and rewatch it but then I remembered you hate the dub
even tho Kyle Herbert is best kamina
I'm not as crazy as Aaron, I love Bebop's dub and think FMA's dub is fine.

The Gurren dub is super lame. I guess it is "fine", but my ridiculous respect for the show might be blinding my opinion.

Tamiya is a great addition to the show, imo. I'm really curious to see what role she will play in the show. the orchestral music with the choir is SO much better than the dubstep for battle music. It is interesting to hear that even after invading and all the changes that comes to the body they can still apparently produce human offspring, I would have assumed that since the structure of the body had changed reproduction would have as well. Dat cliffhanger tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom