• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
My anime club just watched Akira. Many of them had never seen it. When it ended, I turned around and half the club was standing next to my wheelchair. Apparently, I'm the unofficial explanation guy of the club now because I always know what's going on in the stuff we watch.
Did you tell them to go read the manga and just appreciate the movie for its outstanding visuals, audio (GOAT soundtrack) and technical achievements? Because they kind of butchered much of the story in order to make it fit in a single movie.

On an unrelated note, I started reading Zetman thinking it would be some fun superhero schlock and.. well.. you see.. let's just say that I did not get what I was expecting and Shit got dark real fast. Legitemately fucked up (in a good way). Holy crap.

You guys need to play the Zero series.

Also finally finished a new chapter, probably going to get one done once every two weeks rather than once a month,
I really should. I bought and played some Gunvolt, which people said is like Zero but worse. Other than this learning curve it's... Fine.

My anime club just watched Akira. Many of them had never seen it. When it ended, I turned around and half the club was standing next to my wheelchair. Apparently, I'm the unofficial explanation guy of the club now because I always know what's going on in the stuff we watch.

I bought the akira blu ray and I was like...

ibuNig41jgCCn2.gif

What The Fuck is this? and to this day i still don't know what I watched.

Zenfalcia

I still need to watch that, I've read the manga

But did you read the LN? The manga is slightly different than the LN
Just the monsters, everything else is the same i think.

I wished they followed the manga/LN.. it would've made me want to watch it.. rather than be super dissapointed at the lack of sick axe combos..

None of them would have. You know this and so do I.

I do.. how casual/surface level is your club?

I think the movie is way better than the manga. Being animated drastically improves it.

The animation is a nice touch but only if you understand what's happenning.. otherwise it's just nice animation..

360pages

Zero 1 and 3 are easily the best in the Zero series, I'm leaning more toward 3 being the best.

The problem with Zero 1 and 2 is that you need to level up your shit. (Though they stayed level up in later playthroughs) Also, Zero 2 had some bullshit level desgin. Zero 4 was alright, but it feels like a weaker version of Zero 3.

I saw Akira when I bought the VHS at a garage sale when I was 10, because it was anime and I liked the anime.

I was reborn in it. Molded by it. I was already an adult the first time I saw the manga.

Here's my case for the Akira manga. The entire third volume is based around what is essentially a city wide, three way game of capture the flag where the flag is a boy with destructive psychic powers.

And
ends with Neo Tokyo getting blown the fuck up.

It really sucks that movie stops right before things begin to escalate and get nuts in the manga.

360pages

You know, Smash run would be awesome if they were two separate events.

Like have the event you do at the end be its own separate mode, and just have smash run see who gets the strongest and have a regular smash at the end. Or hell, just expand upon smash run and make a adventure mode.

Zenfalcia

Varies heavily. The president knows what's up (read: loves TTGL and JoJo), so do some of the senior members, the rest range from people who think AoT is neat and love Naruto and Blood + to hardcore VN fans

That sounds about right. I'm assuming the rest of those people were the ones asking for explaination.

At least they'll willing to watch other stuff.. right? Maybe get to know the better stuff.

How hard core VN fans are we talking about here?
like eroge hard core levels?

5 is okay, do it for the lore. I wouldn't blame you for just watching someone else play 6 and 7 though, just for the lore. 8 though def play

I remember liking X5 and X6 the least. X6 especially. That game, man. I don't even remember why I didn't like it so much, but I did. The funny thing is that X6 is what got me interested in the X series as well as Mega Man.

I guess I just have bad taste then...

Anyway im thinking of fandubbing Daily lives and my voice doesnt have much range so if I did it by myself. So I was wondering if you guys wanted to help me once I get my laptop back.
i call dibs on hidenori tho. Partly cause hes best character and he gets literary girl.
Just give me a script, and I will read it to the best of my ability.

I would be honored to help.

360pages

Don't worry. I plan on going back to Mega Man X after I finish DMC 3. Looking forward to playing X4. X5 and X6? Not so much.

X4 is still my favorite X.

The only good thing about X5 is the fortress levels and the sheer amount of callbacks from the first series and the X series.

X6 is just shit.

X7 never existed, they skipped it for some reason

X8 is alright.

All the zero games are really good, and the first ZX game is great too, but ZX advent had some flaws in it, by making an already rather complicated system of getting to level to level even more complicated.

I bought the akira blu ray and I was like...

ibuNig41jgCCn2.gif

What The Fuck is this? and to this day i still don't know what I watched.
Dealing with societal problems of 1970's Japan (biker gangs, look up Bosozoku). Analogies on sexual awaking, lust and restraint. Also fighting against the man. If you pay close attention Akira perfectly encapsulates how a lot of Japanese people and a specially teenagers were feeling back then.
I started reading Drifters. Shit's pretty cool.
I like how half of the manga is just translators notes explaining all the references.

360pages

I'm still surprised that Ultimate ninja storm 3 sold 2 million copies.

I mean, you don't usually see anime games do so well, and over half of those copies were sold in the US.

All the zero games are really good, and the first ZX game is great too, but ZX advent had some flaws in it, by making an already rather complicated system of getting to level to level even more complicated.

I've heard the opposite. People say that ZX was confusing and that Advent made it better. I've only played Advent so I can't really comment.

I remember liking X5 and X6 the least. X6 especially. That game, man. I don't even remember why I didn't like it so much, but I did. The funny thing is that X6 is what got me interested in the X series as well as Mega Man.

X6 just literally has too much collectible bullshit and the level design isn't great. People complain mostly that there's a lot of cheap deaths and shit.

What is everyones thoughts on SMT: Devil Summoner?

Never played the original, I think there's a fan translation happening for it so yay.
Soul Hackers is amazing, fully recommend it. It feels a bit old but it is great none the less. I think it's on sale currently on the NA eShop.
Soulless Army is okay. It's neat but not amazing, probably the weakest game in the entire franchise.
King Abaddon is great. It does what Soulless Army should've done and be an actual good action RPG. Also never came out in Europe so I never was allowed to get a Raiho plushie.

Beaten like a Pat-headed stepchild

I'm dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom