• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revengeance is best played on Hard the first go around for anyone with even a modicrum of action game experience. I mean that seriously.

As my first Platinum/Character Action game I actually did Normal with healing items, and it let me fuck up and get used to combat during gameplay. I eventually got good at beat Revengeance difficulty.

It's a gateway game, or at least, it was for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are the healing items too casual? I am playing Revengence on hard and never used an item until I got the Ripper mode.

I won't disparage using healing items, but you probably won't need them. At least maybe until the final boss for the first time. As a general rule, I never use items in action games. I think most good action games are designed around not using items. But not everyone plays as many action games as I do. Again, Revengeance Hard really isn't that hard at all for people who have played some action games before. It just forces you to learn how to parry, which is the central mechanic of the entire game.

You can mash your way through Normal.

As my first Platinum/Character Action game I actually did Normal with healing items, and it let me fuck up and get used to combat during gameplay. I eventually got good at beat Revengeance difficulty.

Same here, although my first platinum experience was technically Bayo on Very Easy

Jman014

Favorite boss fight? Mine is monsoon.

croten

So I am going play bayo 1 for the first time.
But before that, in what dutifully should I play?
Please be gentle~

I'd say Normal unless you have any reason to try differently. I think it's best to play every game on normal the first time through as that is what the game is built around.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Hard lets you fuck up, though. That's what I'm getting at. It gives you chances to mess up and learn. There's practically no threat of ever dying on Normal, and you can mash your way through encounters without learning anything. This is why there are people who get to the final boss without knowing how to parry or even knowing you can dodge.

As your first action game, sure. Normal's fine.

First time: Normal
Second time : Hard

Just do Normal.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also need a thread banner. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. If no one contributes then I'll just write Super Best Friends Thread 6 in MS Paint and use that.

Favorite boss fight?
All of them.
Armstrong, easily. Best song too.
So I am going play bayo 1 for the first time.
But before that, in what difficulty should I play?
Please be gentle~

Easy if you want to just experience the game first. Normal if you don't mind continues. If you go Easy you owe it to yourself to then play through Normal and Hard though.
Hard lets you fuck up, though. That's what I'm getting at. It gives you chances to mess up and learn. There's practically no threat of ever dying on Normal, and you can mash your way through encounters without learning anything. This is why there are people who get to the final boss without knowing how to parry or even knowing you can dodge.

As your first action game, sure. Normal's fine.
I suppose. I think the bosses are more the gauntlets that make you learn that stuff, but's that's fair. I felt like the game was somewhat punishing on Hard, but I guess if somebody's played 3rd person action games, they had a huge leg up on me at that time.

croten

All of them.
Armstrong, easily. Best song too.

Easy if you want to just experience the game first. Normal if you don't mind continues. If you go Easy you owe it to yourself to then play through Normal and Hard though.

If he's played revengance on hard I'm sure he can manage Bayo on normal.

Someone Edit this gif with woolie's head instead

tumblr_ndwxrgAg5d1rkb4c1o1_500.gif

If he's played revengance on hard I'm sure he can manage Bayo on normal.
Maybe it's because I sucked really hard, but those few awful bossfights were not fun on Normal my first time.

It's not like Wonderful 101 though, that game wasn't even fun my first time playing on Normal.
I'll leave it up to you. Just don't make it last minute.
I'll just say the end of page 180 then. So like tonight-ish. I have a Funeral to go to and test to take tomorrow.
I'll work on a banner. 600x200 good size or what?

I'd say base it on this and the previous thread's.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I suppose. I think the bosses are more the gauntlets that make you learn that stuff, but's that's fair. I felt like the game was somewhat punishing on Hard, but I guess if somebody's played 3rd person action games, they had a huge leg up on me at that time.

The thing is, you can get knocked down, get up, and start mashing against bosses and you'll still win on Normal. Those sequences where you're supposed to learn something, you can brute force because you won't die. And the bosses die really quickly. That's the issue I have with it. It doesn't encourage you to actually learn anything.

If someone has never touched a general action game before, then Normal is probably the way to go.

The thing is, you can get knocked down, get up, and start mashing against bosses and you'll still win on Normal. Those sequences where you're supposed to learn something, you can brute force because you won't die. And the bosses die really quickly. That's the issue I have with it. It doesn't encourage you to actually learn anything.

If someone has never touched a general action game before, then Normal is probably the way to go.

It weakens Blade Wolf and Mistral, but I thought Monsoon was literally unbeatable without mastering the parry, myself. Even on Normal.
Really? The only trouble I had on my first play through were against any enemy you couldn't use Witch Time on.

I guess I just suck *shrug*

croten

Maybe it's because I sucked really hard, but those few awful bossfights were not fun on Normal my first time.

It's not like Wonderful 101 though, that game wasn't even fun my first time playing on Normal.

I'll just say the end of page 180 then. So like tonight-ish. I have a Funeral to go to and test to take tomorrow.

I'd say base it on this and the previous thread's.

Really? The only trouble I had on my first play through were against any enemy you couldn't use Witch Time on.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It weakens Blade Wolf and Mistral, but I thought Monsoon was literally unbeatable without mastering the parry, myself. Even on Normal.

I guess I just suck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying this to stroke my ego or whatever. You can beat Monsoon on Normal by using health items and mashing with an upgraded blade. And even if you need to parry against Monsoon, you shouldn't be learning how to parry that far into the game. Blade Wolf is supposed to be the parry tutorial. If you can get to Monsoon without appropriately learning how to parry, that's a problem.

And this isn't DMC3 Yellow Orb mode where you have limited continues. You can always retry at any checkpoint, so dying really isn't that big a penalty.

I'm not saying this to stroke my ego or whatever. You can beat Monsoon by using health items and mashing with an upgraded blade.

Oh I don't mean to sound like I'm accusing you or something, if I am. Honestly, maybe I'm wrong or didn't have max health items or something. I'll take your word on it.
And even if you need to parry against Monsoon, you shouldn't be learning how to parry that far into the game. Blade Wolf is supposed to be the parry tutorial. If you can get to Monsoon without appropriately learning how to parry, that's a problem.

And this isn't DMC3 Yellow Orb mode where you have limited continues. You can always retry at any checkpoint, so dying really isn't that big a penalty.

That's a good point. I almost felt the game could've benefitted from reordering the bosses somewhat, since Mistral doesn't reinforce the parry at all, and Blade Wolf in an introductory boss that you can use other strategies, like the dodge, to avoid.

You're right about retries. That kind of thing is super disheartening for newbie action game players, but it's nothing huge.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's that bad? I'm glad you reminded me about that then

I wouldn't say it's bad. It's just easy for anyone with any action game experience. I'm not talking about people who S-rank all their games or anything, just people who have previous experience completing action games.

Oh I don't mean to sound like I'm accusing you or something, if I am. Honestly, maybe I'm wrong or didn't have max health items or something. I'll take your word on it.

That's a good point. I almost felt the game could've benefitted from reordering the bosses somewhat, since Mistral doesn't reinforce the parry at all, and Blade Wolf in an introductory boss that you can use other strategies, like the dodge, to avoid.

You're right about retries. That kind of thing is super disheartening for newbie action game players, but it's nothing huge.

I just wanted to clarify because it can sound like I'm an elitist with an agenda of "hard only, bro". That's really not the case.

And maybe I'm a bit desensitized to death in games. The newer generation of gamers get extremely frustrated with a game over screen, even if it puts them right back where they started. I don't really care that much about dying as long as I learned something in the process. I think that dying should be a distant threat in Normal mode of games, but that standard has shifted.

wamberz1

I know man college and CSGO have made me super busy, and once I get in this thread I get stuck and cant leave.

Yea, it's super hard to keep up with this thread.

I wouldn't say it's bad. It's just easy for anyone with any action game experience. I'm not talking about people who S-rank all their games or anything, just people who have previous experience completing action games.

Rising was my first true "character action" game and it was absurdly easy on normal, hard was far more fun and challenging.

croten

They're more costumes?
Seems like they do change the style of fighting .
Well, seems like I am going in RAW.

I don't think it's too significant a change but I'd go normal just for immersion's sake. Bayonetta is ridiculous enough without her dressed up like Samus in cutscenes

I think I'm starting to get sick again. I woke up with a slightly sore throat, and it has not gotten any better. And I feel super tired.

Dammit, I don't want this to get in the way of me playing Bayo 2 tomorrow. I can't.

Shackzam

Hey does anyone know the video pat refers to in the dark souls video? It sounds interesting because I like critics on these types of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom