• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emouse

Yeah FE:A was my first FE game too.

Default Male Shepard has that cool scruff on his face.

I always tend to go for defaults on my first play through, I was pretty annoyed at default femshep getting changed in ME3, seemed pointless seeing as there wasn't really much of a change but facial features were not as nice

Yeah, I don't trust lurkers enough for that shit.

Also, still writing. I'm thinking on what my next chapter will be. It will probably be my last chapter for a while since Writing month will be devouring my time completely almost.

Shit, I've still got to decide what I'm going to write, then plan it out before November. I've got a little over a week to get this shit done.

360pages

But the frustration is part of the game! :D

Awakening isn't my first FE and I really like the idea of characters not coming back because it makes the strategy mean a lot more when you don't just throw your characters in and try to kill everything without a strategy. For some context i guess..
I'm intentionally playing on insanity and I've restarted at least 50 times on 2 missions alone because of how hard they are. #worthit

What difficulty and mode did you play on?

You'd probably get a kick out of Etrain Odyssey series if you like hard RPG's Though number 2 difficultly is flat out unfair and annoying. (Hoping the remake fix all of that) The best thing about the EO series is that they aren't hard. If you prepare for obvious threats and not be gun jumping Liam the games are super slow but not that hard.

If you try to rush it though treating it like a regular RPG where you just need to heal without thinking the game will punish the fuck out of you.

I guess it's comparable to Dark Souls in that regard.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I-dont-believe-you.gif

I don't understand how you can't restrain yourself for your son's girlfriend. It's not like cigs, meth, or any other drug right?
It gets
so much more fucking worse.

Zenfalcia

What do you think?

Just asking. You might have surprised me with a different answer.

You'd probably get a kick out of Etrain Odyssey series if you like hard RPG's Though number 2 difficultly is flat out unfair and annoying. (Hoping the remake fix all of that) The best thing about the EO series is that they aren't hard. If you prepare for obvious threats and not be gun jumping Liam the games are super slow but not that hard.

If you try to rush it though treating it like a regular RPG where you just need to heal without thinking the game will punish the fuck out of you.

I guess it's comparable to Dark Souls in that regard.

Probably, but FE is a strategy game with RPG elements. I don't know if it'll be the same.

360pages

Just asking. You might have surprised me with a different answer.

Probably, but FE is a strategy game with RPG elements. I don't know if it'll be the same.

True EO series is really simple, even though the combat system is sublime. It's one of the few RPG's where status effects actually work on bosses.

Okingjrr

But the frustration is part of the game! :D

Awakening isn't my first FE and I really like the idea of characters not coming back because it makes the strategy mean a lot more when you don't just throw your characters in and try to kill everything without a strategy. For some context i guess..
I'm intentionally playing on lunatic and I've restarted at least 50 times on 2 missions alone because of how hard they are. #worthit

What difficulty and mode did you play on?

A part of the game I can do without. I'm terrible at handling frustration coming from video games. I'm still salt over that bullshit ninja pulls during the fight in mgs 1.

360pages

Shit, I've still got to decide what I'm going to write, then plan it out before November. I've got a little over a week to get this shit done.

Just write, anything you can think of put it down. Remember your goal is also 50,000 words so try not to stress about editing until you reached that goal at least.

True EO series is really simple, even though the combat system is sublime. It's one of the few RPG's where status effects actually work on bosses.

As someone who never uses debuffs ever that always annoys me, because the one time I actually would use it NOPE DOESN'T WORK 2STRONG

Zenfalcia

It gets
so much more fucking worse.

Wow.. This thread might kill all my productivity... Mom's and revenge.. I... That's pretty serious..

It also has the map building element right?

A part of the game I can do without. I'm terrible at handling frustration coming from video games. I'm still salt over that bullshit ninja pulls during the fight in mgs 1.

Understandable, not everyone enjoys being frustrated at games. It feels good to over come them though.

360pages

As someone who never uses debuffs ever that always annoys me, because the one time I actually would use it NOPE DOESN'T WORK 2STRONG

Debuffs are super important in the EO series, both buffs and debuffs. Hell some of the later bosses will wreck you if you don't have a proper team, and there is at least one class in each game that is designed to specifically buffs or debuffs.

Emouse

Let's talk about how in Untold 2 Chloe has a Pyro Jack badge on her hat.

Is that rad?

It's a reference to EO2 Gunner having a Jack Frost badge on her hat.

I thought you Megaten/Persona fans might appreciate it.
Play Etrian Odyssey. I recommend 4.

Oh that's a cool little feature, so etrian odyssey is good? Should I pick any of them up or just wait for persona Q?

360pages

Wow.. This thread might kill all my productivity... Mom's and revenge.. I... That's pretty serious..

Understandable, not everyone enjoys being frustrated at games. It feels good to over come them though.

Yeah, though you don't need to map out every step, the game maps the steps for you. You just need to map out everything else. Which is, walls, doors, treasure chest, bad floor panels dead ends and special events that you might want to come back for later.

Of course outside the first floor, you can ignore mapping, but that is a very...very bad idea.

Debuffs are super important in the EO series, both buffs and debuffs. Hell some of the later bosses will wreck you if you don't have a proper team, and there is at least one class in each game that is designed to specifically buffs or debuffs.

Oh man I'm too much of a scrub for that. I'd quit so salty

360pages

Oh that's a cool little feature, so etrian odyssey is good? Should I pick any of them up or just wait for persona Q?

I would recommend 4 if you are new to the series, though I personally think 3 is easily the best. Skip 1 and 2, since 1 already got remade as untold and 2 is getting a remake soon as well.

Persona Q seems good too, but I can't speak for the quality of a game I never played.

Let's talk about how in Untold 2 Chloe has a Pyro Jack badge on her hat.

Is that rad?

It's a reference to EO2 Gunner having a Jack Frost badge on her hat.

I thought you Megaten/Persona fans might appreciate it.
Play Etrian Odyssey. I recommend 4.
Jack Frost is Atlus' mascot so its understandable for him and pyro jack to have cameos.

Zenfalcia

It's fine. Normal/Casual

I'm no Liam.

Gotcha. If you play through a second time, play with hard and classic. :D

Yeah, though you don't need to map out every step, the game maps the steps for you. You just need to map out everything else. Which is, walls, doors, treasure chest, bad floor panels dead ends and special events that you might want to come back for later.

Of course outside the first floor, you can ignore mapping, but that is a very...very bad idea.

So, map everything or everything will suck. Got it.

Okingjrr

Oh definitely, I feel really happy when I beat a frustrating section. But if that's the whole game, I just can't.

Emouse

I would recommend 4 if you are new to the series, though I personally think 3 is easily the best. Skip 1 and 2, since 1 already got remade as untold and 2 is getting a remake soon as well.

Persona Q seems good too, but I can't speak for the quality of a game I never played.

Oh okay cool, how is story done, are they all separate from game to game or is 2 a sequel to 1 and so on

360pages

Gotcha. If you play through a second time, play with hard and classic. :D

So, map everything or everything will suck. Got it.

Pretty much, since the dungeons are pretty hard and usually have 4-5 big floors each. (Usually 6 in the game total, but they are still long as hell) It's important to remember short cuts and quick routes to different areas.

Untold gives you a bonus for mapping out a floor well, by allowing you to warp to the entrance or exist of the floor at will. (That is also why I think people should wait to play Untold, it is super hard to go back to manually going through the floors once you got an auto warp,)

360pages

Oh okay cool, how is story done, are they all separate from game to game or is 2 a sequel to 1 and so on

They are all separate games with a stand alone story. Like the FF series, they have references, but most of them can be played in any order if you don't mind some of the older games looking a little rougher.

Emouse

They are all separate games with a stand alone story. Like the FF series, they have references, but most of them can be played in any order if you don't mind some of the older games looking a little rougher.

Nice, I'll probably dive right into 4 then when I get round to picking it up

Zenfalcia

Oh definitely, I feel really happy when I beat a frustrating section. But if that's the whole game, I just can't.

Nah. It's only really the first 4 or 5 missions. Especially mission 3 and 4. Those will beat you to the ground and then curb stomp your dead body on lunatic. Once you get past that, you can get DLC to grind and make the parts after easier or even a breeze if you grind enough.

I might try playing a bit of it on hard and classic, just to see what it's like.

Hard and classic means that you have to rely on more strategy than normal, and the only worry you have is to not send your troops in and get ganged up on. Pretty simple stuff.

Pretty much, since the dungeons are pretty hard and usually have 4-5 big floors each. (Usually 6 in the game total, but they are still long as hell) It's important to remember short cuts and quick routes to different areas.

Untold gives you a bonus for mapping out a floor well, by allowing you to warp to the entrance or exist of the floor at will. (That is also why I think people should wait to play Untold, it is super hard to go back to manually going through the floors once you got an auto warp,)

I'll play some PQ and see if I like it or not.. I did get a 3ds demo of the millenium girl? or whatever the game is called with the time travelling girl with a gun.

360pages

The best thing about EO series is that they take some inspiration from the Cthulhu mythos. Hell EO3 entire story arc revolved around the Deep ones, and the final floor of the final dungeon is called. "That is not dead which can eternal lie"

Though the true final boss of EO3 is pretty much Cthulhu

360pages

Nah. It's only really the first 4 or 5 missions. Especially mission 3 and 4. Those will beat you to the ground and then curb stomp your dead body on lunatic. Once you get past that, you can get DLC to grind and make the parts after easier or even a breeze if you grind enough.

Hard and classic means that you have to rely on more strategy than normal, and the only worry you have is to not send your troops in and get ganged up on. Pretty simple stuff.

I'll play some PQ and see if I like it or not.. I did get a 3ds demo of the millenium girl? or whatever the game is called with the time travelling girl with a gun.

Classic mode is the best way to play the games personally, the sheer amount of freedom to be able to pick what classes you want and team building blows away Millenium girl's story for me. (Though that games story isn't that great to begin with)

Emouse

The best thing about EO series is that they take some inspiration from the Cthulhu mythos. Hell EO3 entire story arc revolved around the Deep ones, and the final floor of the final dungeon is called. "That is not dead which can eternal lie"

Though the true final boss of EO3 is pretty much Cthulhu

Fucking sold

360pages

Nice, I'll probably dive right into 4 then when I get round to picking it up

There's a demo for 4 that lets you do the first 2 mini areas and the first floor of the game. I'd say get that it's a really meaty demo and all your stuff transfers to the main game.

Zenfalcia

Classic mode is the best way to play the games personally, the sheer amount of freedom to be able to pick what classes you want and team building blows away Millenium girl's story for me. (Though that games story isn't that great to begin with)

So, let's say I want to get into EO. Do i start from release dates or a specific order?

360pages

So, let's say I want to get into EO. Do i start from release dates or a specific order?

If you want a challenge and a balanced game I'd say start with EO3, if you want something to ease you into the series I'd say EO4.

That being said, there is a demon for EO4 on the E-shop, and I think that gives a better picture of what the EO series is about rather than Untold. (I'd wait to play untold, some of the changes make it hard to go back and play older games in the series.)

No need to even bother with 1 or 2, considering 1 was already remade as untold and 2 is getting remade as well.

There's a demo for 4 that lets you do the first 2 mini areas and the first floor of the game. I'd say get that it's a really meaty demo and all your stuff transfers to the main game.

The demo is what sold me on the game. I really do recommend anyone trying it out to see if the game will be their kind of thing. I love the music and atmosphere in it. Plus it's on sale on the NA eShop so what better time than to try it out?
It's okay though, Atlus has sales every other week.

All this Etrian talk makes me want to dive back into Untold. As much as I love Frederica, the entire cast being boring and generic and having a fixed party isn't exactly fun for me.
But Frederica is <3

Also damn you keep selling me on EO3, but I've got so much to play in my backlog
and they're all RPGs ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom