• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll be that guy and say outside of character action and fighting, I really don't care about frame rate, unless it drops beneath Drakengard 3 levels of FPS.

Though if I ever (hopefully) get into game design, I understand how important it is for games to actually be at 60,

You can come play games with us like Shadowrun Returns, Divinity Original Sin and The Banner Saga!

Eh...

If I went full PC, I'd be playing so much CS:GO and other FPSs.

Games like the Witcher don't interest me too much. I'd give planescape a try.

I guess I'll be that guy and say outside of character action and fighting, I really don't care about frame rate, unless it drops beneath Drakengard 3 levels of FPS.

Though if I ever (hopefully) get into game design, I understand how important it is for games to actually be at 60,

I don't think it'll affect who buys what IP, but more like where someone would play that IP.

Like, I can't handle when DS goes into Blighttown and the frame rate shits the bed. I can't stand when a game had that glaring an issue.

Locked 30 is just fine, some people would disagree, but their explanation is fucking garbage. Just say you're doing 30 cause you want to.

Locked 60 > Variable framerate above 30 > locked 30 >>>>>>>>>> sub 30.
But the Dragon battles and mai waifus would be better on the hdtv
Vita TV :eek: :p

Plus, Dat OLED tho

Jman014

Imagine having Quake running at 30 fps.

Kinda the same here. I understand the importance of 60 and is something I want to strive for, but it's not gonna be a deal breaker for me. Hell, I still play old N64 games for fuck sakes, you ain't gonna find good framerate there (unless it's F-Zero X).

Jman014

Eh...

If I went full PC, I'd be playing so much CS:GO and other FPSs.

Games like the Witcher don't interest me too much. I'd give planescape a try.

It's too late to try Nexuiz, which was taken off of Steam, but you could try Painkiller Hell and Damnation if you don't mind bunny hopping for increased speed and being able to hold more than 4 weapons.

Locked 30 is just fine, some people would disagree, but their explanation is fucking garbage. Just say you're doing 30 cause you want to.

Vita TV :eek: :p

Plus, Dat OLED tho

But Sony told me that the Vita was a companion device for the PS4 and I do not own a PS4...

Kinda the same here. I understand the importance of 60 and is something I want to strive for, but it's not gonna be a deal breaker for me. Hell, I still play old N64 games for fuck sakes, you ain't gonna find good framerate there (unless it's F-Zero X).

See I thought that too, but Even in. The SNES AND N64 days you need a stable frame rate for 3d games, regardless of graphical problems.

I don't need 60 to play console, but if you promise 60 you better fucking deliver it.

AC is a franchise based in historical non-fiction and great environments. Above 30 needs to be a standard.

Xiraiya

Jesus christ, episode 7 of True detective.

Spoilers
I cannot fucking believe the guy they've been searching for the whole series was right there just mowing lawns by the roadside and the light and distance made it impossible for the cops to notice scars on his face, fantastic.

Imagine having Quake running at 30 fps.

2 spkooky 4 this thread.

As a beginner programmer I can understand why it can be harder to do 60, but I mean you are getting paid so...

I don't think it'll affect who buys what IP, but more like where someone would play that IP.

Like, I can't handle when DS goes into Blighttown and the frame rate shits the bed. I can't stand when a game had that glaring an issue.

I personally had bigger problems with blighttown than it's framerate.

Yeah, like I'm not gonna get super hype for a new game only to hear that it's 30 FPS and just cancel my preorder or something lol. It's not gonna be any less good unless it actually starts to mess up the gameplay.

Xiraiya

http://massiveburrito.com/test/60vs30.html
Also this in case you guys want to test your eyeballs or just pass the time.

I've always been able to tell the difference, I don't really know why it could ever be a debatable thing, there's a pretty clear difference between 30 and 60 frames.

That said, things running at 30 frames don't really bother me, I'll play a game at 30 or 60, I'd prefer 60, but a good game is not suddenly shit if it only runs at 30.

You're not playing it for the right reasons if you judge it specifically on that.

I've always been able to tell the difference, I don't really know why it could ever be a debatable thing, there's a pretty clear difference between 30 and 60 frames.

That said, things running at 30 frames don't really bother me, I'll play a game at 30 or 60, I'd prefer 60, but a good game is not suddenly shit if it only runs at 30.

You're not playing it for the right reasons if you judge it specifically on that

Heh. You haven't been on GAF long enough. Wait til the comparison threads come out for the next Call of Duty.
Hell, you had those same complaints against RE4's PC port and XBL port.

Well AAA development isn't really reliant on anyone but the lead programmer, maybe. Anyway you're totally right, only a few genres are truly hurt by 30 FPS.

I just can't wrap my head around the logic that people refuse to buy a game because frame rates are locked.
Was there graphical debates in the NES/SNES/N64/PSX era?
I don't mean 8 bit vs 16 bit, I mean about 30fps vs 60fps.

As a beginner programmer I can understand why it can be harder to do 60, but I mean you are getting paid so...
Yeah, like I'm not gonna get super hype for a new game only to hear that it's 30 FPS and just cancel my preorder or something lol. It's not gonna be any less good unless it actually starts to mess up the gameplay.
Well AAA development isn't really reliant on anyone but the lead programmer, maybe. Anyway you're totally right, only a few genres are truly hurt by 30 FPS.

360pages

It really depends on the game. The New Naruto game is fun as hell, but they locked a perfect 30 Frames with very few dips. But the game is still fast enough and what not that I don't mind.

Jman014

Nexuiz was at 60 if you didn't try to max out the settings. Man I'm glad I can still play the beta version ever since the regular version stopped working properly after it got pulled from the store.

Xiraiya

Heh. You haven't been on GAF long enough. Wait til the comparison threads come out for the next Call of Duty.
Hell, you had those same complaints against RE4's PC port and XBL port.

Don't really care, if 30 VS 60 makes or breaks a game then I feel sorry for those people, it's that simple.

Which is why I really can't force myself to care about AC unity or evil within being locked at 30. I mean, I guess for PC users it's a bigger deal since the reason they spend hundreds on a PC is for 60, but I'm a console player so....that sucks I guess?

Don't really care, if 30 VS 60 makes or breaks a game then I feel sorry for those people, it's that simple.

It does affect certain genres, whether you feel sorry for those people or not.

I just want stable games, not games that feel the need to push the absolute boundaries of platform graphics.

I'm very sensitive to low framerates, especially those with heavy camera movement.

It won't dissuade me from purchasing, but if a game makes me sick, I'm not going to get the full enjoyment out of it.

360pages

I did wish they do the Naruto game for Fisticuffs, since Naruto is ending soon. Traditional fighters are great, but breaking the mold once in awhile is good. Though I have a feeling they probably wouldn't try to learn the game as much as they tried with all star battle. So they probably won't be into it.

Xiraiya

It doesn't make or break for me but 30 FPS is tolerable but 60 FPS is just pure eye candy. It just makes games better to play.

Well I don't think anyone can argue that, it's just the idea of a game running at 30 causing some people to be like "Nope, Nah uh, screw this garbage game, it seemed really awesome until I heard it runs at 30, fuck everything about that." that I find to be...what's the word, stupid, those people are actually and literally stupid having such insane reactions.

360pages

As long as a game remains stable I'm happy.

I would rather have a game that ran at a stable 30 then a game that starts at 60 and drops constantly between that and 31 frame.

Though I don't think any game is that bad.

I'm very sensitive to low framerates, especially those with heavy camera movement.

It won't dissuade me from purchasing, but if a game makes me sick, I'm not going to get the full enjoyment out of it.

Is that similar to the motion sickness egoraptor on Game Grumps talks about?

croten

Well I don't think anyone can argue that, it's just the idea of a game running at 30 causing some people to be like "Nope, Nah uh, screw this garbage game, it seemed really awesome until I heard it runs at 30, fuck everything about that." that I find to be...what's the word, stupid, those people are actually and literally stupid having such insane reactions.

If it's on PC then it's perfectly acceptable to think that

There are a few, a small few, who can't play games at 30 without motion sickness or whatever.

It's a very smaller ton of people though. I've also heard the same about 60.
It doesn't, but that's not the point. If you're making a PC game, you have no excuse to not make it possible for people to play on 60fps or not make it the superior framerate. If your PC port revolves around a 30fps design, your PC port is shit.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's the fact that Dark Souls 2 ties these things to the FPS that causes such unnecessary issues.
I kinda care more bout being able to play the game, but 60 FPS is nice. Honestly I just want my games o be playable. 60fps is gravy.

And ah ok, gotcha.

joe2187

Banned
Guys I did it!

I got my WiiU

Also, I dont think I can ever show my face in that certain gamestop ever again after the look the manager gave me!

fuck it, bring on the Wonderful 101!!

croten

Guys I did it!

I got my WiiU

Also, I dont think I can ever show my face in that certain gamestop ever again after the look the manager gave me!

just give him a thumbs up with your biggest shit eating grin

Guys I did it!

I got my WiiU

xjPi6Th.gif

Just pretend that that says "Wii U" and that it's Mario instead of an anime grill

Ahhh I'm so pissed. I recorded some Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde stuff the other day and just realized video is missing of it when I stopped recording then decided to continue. I'm pissed because it seriously broke me. All I have is the audio. I don't think I can play the game again.

Ahhh I'm so pissed. I recorded some Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde stuff the other day and just realized video is missing of it when I stopped recording then decided to continue. I'm pissed because it seriously broke me. All I have is the audio. I don't think I can play the game again.

But that's the best NES game. You just gotta believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom