• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you forget that Yu has the power of friendship on his side
The literal, earth-shattering power

Persona 4 is so stupid and I love it so much

Not friendship, bonds. But more than that, the Truth. I gotta say, the "Truth" being the ultimate force against evil is one of my favourite concepts. It goes hand in hand as "Evil as Deceit"

Too bad Minato has that same power but stronger, and on a universal scale and defeated a literal immortal being.

No but Yu could probably win anyway because of two reasons
Reason 1: I played P4 first and am therefore biased
Reason 2: Any fight between two fictional characters must be based not on actual power level, but on who would win from a writing standpoint
Therefore, Yu, being from the game that's lighter in tone and more recent, and
where the good guys unequivocally win
, is the stronger character. It's the same way that Flash actually should win every fight, but Batman would still beat him

Not friendship, bonds. But more than that, the Truth. I gotta say, the "Truth" being the ultimate force against evil is one of my favourite concepts. It goes hand in hand as "Evil as Deceit"

I talked in OT4 about how Myraid Truths is actually the best finisher ever for this exact reason.

Am I going to be able to avoid any P4 spoilers or is Pat right that everything is open season now?

Been a full 6 years. Sorry bro, no sympathy from me. Although I do apologize if I turn out to have hurt your enjoyment of the game any when you eventually play it.
I'm one of those people who doesn't give a flying fuck about spoilers, so I tend to be kind of callous about it.

Fuck friendship, bonds, or the Truth, turning into a demon and eating everyone in order to survive is where it's at.

Also hindu themes and cyber future aesthetic.

Fuck, Digital Devil Saga is so good.

Xiraiya

It is very much a "Two sides of the same coin" kind of thing, when talked about in the simplest terms at least.

I don't mind it too much, considering I have a lot to do in P3 and FF13 and DS1.

FF13 update: I'm starting to like the game. I'm not as upset as I was a few years ago. It's not that bad.

Chapter 3 and 4 completed.

It is very much a "Two sides of the same coin" kind of thing, when talked about in the simplest terms at least.

I think that truth as good and false as evil is actually the most true to life good vs evil there is. Order vs chaos =/= good vs evil, emotions vs logic =/= good vs evil, but true vs false is literally right vs wrong.

Xiraiya

I once played the Shin Megami Tensei MMO, that game had REALLY good ideas and I actually had a lot of fun with what was there, but it felt so empty and unfinished, like a barebones early Alpha, it was like playing Post apocalyptic persona Pokemon, I loved it even in the sorry state it was in.

Am I going to be able to avoid any P4 spoilers or is Pat right that everything is open season now?
It is open season yes, but I do try to be a little mindful in a thread where there's a lot of interest in a particular series but only some have played it, so I don't mind being careful, even though I personally don't care that much about spoilers.

Its been 6 years dawg. While it would be nice if you didn't get spoiled, you shouldn't expect that kind of consideration, especially outside this thread.

I think the whole 'expiration date' thing for spoilers is an unfortunate reality. It gets to a point where if you care enough that spoilers bother you, you should have put it into your schedule a long time ago.

No but Yu could probably win anyway because of two reasons
Reason 1: I played P4 first and am therefore biased
Reason 2: Any fight between two fictional characters must be based not on actual power level, but on who would win from a writing standpoint
Therefore, Yu, being from the game that's lighter in tone and more recent, and
where the good guys unequivocally win
, is the stronger character. It's the same way that Flash actually should win every fight, but Batman would still beat him
But in reality from a writing stand point Minato would still win
he has the ultimate form of the fool arcana being the only persona character to be able to do fusion raids by himself and access to the Universe arcana, something that made Igor shit his pants.

I think the whole 'expiration date' thing for spoilers is an unfortunate reality. It gets to a point where if you care enough that spoilers bother you, you should have put it into your schedule a long time ago.

More importantly, Atlus themselves has released Ultimax trailers that outright spoil P4. 6 years, 2 re-relases, an anime adaptation, two fighting game spinoffs that continue the story.

Or just stop visiting the internet, for that matter. But that'd be too much of a sacrifice for us.

Unrelated, but hey, congrats on no longer being a junior. Now go start your own threads
and get promptly decimated.

More importantly, Atlus themselves has released Ultimax trailers that outright spoil P4. 6 years, 2 re-relases, an anime adaptation, two fighting game spinoffs that continue the story.
Two anime adaptions actually, remember the Golden anime and most of that anime is late game spoilers!

Agent York

Neo Member

My spoiler policy is two years. If you really cared about spoilers, you would have played it earlier.

IDGAF about spoilers all together tho.

But in reality from a writing stand point Minato would still win
he has the ultimate form of the fool arcana being the only persona character to be able to do fusion raids by himself and access to the Universe arcana, something that made Igor shit his pants.

No, that's raw, in-universe power. Yu has the shonen tropes lined up behind him. He fights to protect others, his friends are his strength... Not to mention that they'd want to push Yu because of Ultimax and Dancing All Night. Minato SHOULD win, but Yu WOULD win. Batman and the Flash.

Izanagi
-no-Okami would megaevolve or some shit, or Yu would suddenly gain the ability to use all his friends' personas or all his past personas simultaneously.

Don't forget Dancing All Night. You can't forget Dancing All Night.

Here's hoping for
crazy Adachi dance combos.

No, that's raw, in-universe power. Yu has the shonen tropes lined up behind him. He fights to protect others, his friends are his strength... Not to mention that they'd want to push Yu because of Ultimax and Dancing All Night. Minato SHOULD win, but Yu WOULD win. Batman and the Flash.
But minato has those exact same shonen tropes behind him too and the only reason that Minato isnt on anything is because
hes dead, what are they gonna do put a giant golden door on the cover of Ultimax??? You know if Minato wasnt written to be unable to come back hed be on all the merch. Itd be Persona 3 Arena if the ending of 3 allowed for a sequel of some kind.
It doesnt matter how much up power he can get when Minato
has the power to literally do anything he god damn wants. His Ultimate persona is literally Jesus!

But minato has those exact same shonen tropes behind him too and the only reason that Minato isnt on anything is because
hes dead, what are they gonna do put a giant golden door on the cover of Ultimax??? You know if Minato wasnt written to be unable to come back hed be on all the merch. Itd be Persona 3 Arena if the ending of 3 allowed for a sequel of some kind.

It actually has nothing to do with power is what I'm trying to say. Yu is the man whose game ends with "and the adventure continues." If anything, I would say that the next logical step for the P4 universe is for Yu and his friends to rescue Minato from his own sacrifice. Not because that makes sense, or because I think they're gonna do it, but because it's against the Investigation Team's (and P4's) nature to let anyone be gone without hope of return. Marie should have been impossible to save too, but they did it.

Loco4Coco

Earlier today I was watching Child's Play and I was laughing way too much. Was this movie meant to be scary? The mom looked kinda alright, she can get my seed
of Chucky.

Alfebit

Banned
I guess I'll have to hurry my ass through P3 to get to P4 then.

All these gray bars. Gotta get out of here.

qmiobp.gif

It actually has nothing to do with power is what I'm trying to say. Yu is the man whose game ends with "and the adventure continues." If anything, I would say that the next logical step for the P4 universe is for Yu and his friends to rescue Minato from his own sacrifice. Not because that makes sense, or because I think they're gonna do it, but because it's against the Investigation Team's (and P4's) nature to let anyone be gone without hope of return. Marie should have been impossible to save too, but they did it.

giphy.gif

I'd quit the series if that ever happens. I need P5 to come out and free me from the nightmare that is Persona 4.

giphy.gif

I'd quit the series if that ever happens. I need P5 to come out and free me from the nightmare that is Persona 4.

It won't happen. Just because it makes sense for P4's tone and themes doesn't mean it makes sense for P3's, and Atlus recognize that if the character interaction in P4A and AU is any indication.

but thats what Elizabeths been doing, her story of arena is that shes is finding other users of the fool so she can understand what it is to free Minato, he had to give his own life to create the seal, he could literally leave at any time he wanted but he has to stay there to keep Nyx and Erebus away from each other, it would never happen but if Minato and Yu did fight, from experience and strength Minato would win, when Igor goes "HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU HAVE THAT CARD!? HOLY SHIT HE HAS THAT CARD!!!" And that power will allow him "to defeat the one who cannot be defeated" no amount of ass pulling can write you against the power. He can use Armageddon by himself, Yu can not use any Fusion raids. Yus power ends at the World, he wont get any stronger than that, Minatos power is literally limitless and is the power of the universe and was given this power, maybe, by philemon himself, really if minato were in the story still hed either have to be Samus and have his powers stripped from him and be unable to use the power of the universe, choose not to use the power of the universe out of fairness, or be god mode. And actually having an "and the adventure continues" ending means that you havent won yet, you got to keep doing shit, hell the midnight channel isnt even gone yet. Having a defacto "the end" means you won, you dont have to fight anymore, as long as Minato is that seal the fall will never happen as long as minato stays there, the whole plot of the answer is SEES moving on with their lives and moving towards the future.

360pages

giphy.gif

No, you are trapped eternally in P4. (Honestly I don't mind the continuing story of these characters.) Kind of like how the Melty Blood series continues the story of the Tsukihime cast for three or four games. It's nice to see what the characters are up to. Plus it also acts as a sequel to P3

but thats what Elizabeths been doing, her story of arena is that shes is finding other users of the fool so she can understand what it is to free Minato, he had to give his own life to create the seal, he could literally leave at any time he wanted but he has to stay there to keep Nyx and Erebus away from each other, it would never happen but if Minato and Yu did fight, from experience and strength Minato would win, when Igor goes "HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU HAVE THAT CARD!? HOLY SHIT HE HAS THAT CARD!!!" And that power will allow him "to defeat the one who cannot be defeated" no amount of ass pulling can write you against the power. He can use Armageddon by himself, Yu can not use any Fusion raids. Yus power ends at the World, he wont get any stronger than that, Minatos power is literally limitless and is the power of the universe and was given this power, maybe, by philemon himself, really if minato were in the story still hed either have to be Samus and have his powers stripped from him and be unable to use the power of the universe, choose not to use the power of the universe out of fairness, or be god mode.

You are so very wrong about this specific thing. If a team of writers wants a character to win a fight, they win the fight, plain and simple. Look at comics! My position begins and ends at the idea that the writers would want Yu to win the fight.

No, you are trapped eternally in P4. (Honestly I don't mind the continuing story of these characters.) Kind of like how the Melty Blood series continues the story of the Tsukihime cast for three or four games. It's nice to see what the characters are up to. Plus it also acts as a sequel to P3
Not really, its more a sequel to P4 with P3 characters in it.
You are so very wrong about this specific thing. If a team of writers wants a character to win a fight, they win the fight, plain and simple. Look at comics! My position begins and ends at the idea that the writers would want Yu to win the fight.
There really is no indication that they would make Yu win, I mean sure they like Yu alot, like too much, but the team behind Persona seems to be at least competent and have standards, they wouldbt have Yu pull out a stronger power out of no where. Hell he cant even truly beat Elizabeth who is currently the strongest persona user in the whole cast
the only one to ever truly beat[ Elizabeth was Minato

360pages

Not really, its more a sequel to P4 with P3 characters in it.

That's not completely true, I mean neither really focus on the events in ether's game. It takes place after the events of P3 and it does show what those characters are doing and they play an important role in the story.

Hell, you could argue it did more to advance P3's world/characters than P4's

So, instead of watching all the things I've had plans to watch or any of the new anime or editing my SAO review, I ended up marathoning all of Madoka again.

Fuck, I forgot how awesome Madoka is.

That's not completely true, I mean neither really focus on the events in ether's game. It takes place after the events of P3 and it does show what those characters are doing and they play an important role in the story.

Yeah, but it takes place in Inaba and it focuses more on the P4 characters than the P3 ones. Also, the P4 side of the story in Ultimax is the canon one. It's pretty much a P4 game with P3 characters.

Dude
it takes place in the midnight channel, with the P3 cast investigating shit thats happening because of the P4 cast. They moved Tartarus to Inaba for god sakes! Its like P2 having P1 characters, just cause theyre in the story doesnt mean its their story.

360pages

Dude
it takes place in the midnight channel, with the P3 cast investigating shit thats happening because of the P4 cast. They moved Tartarus to Inaba for god sakes! Its like P2 having P1 characters, just cause theyre in the story doesnt mean its their story.

Fair enough, I will say that P4 is the stronger side, but I wouldn't say the P3 cast is just tacked on.

So apparently Hajime No Ippo has been apart of my life since 7 years ago. I just got to the 2nd Opening in the anime and as im listening to the new OP, i'm like, "Ive heard this song before somewhere." Then it dawned on me. This song was used in this Real Life Smash Bros Brawl Trailer from like 7 years ago that all my friends and I would watch a shit ton. I always liked the song but never knew what the hell it was. MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS SINGLE INSTANT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom