• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, what are the chances we'll see some more DLC characters for Ultimax? ... I really want Atlus to break kayfabe
hope I'm using that right
and put
Shinji
in...

Watched Parasyte.

Imma keep watching this, it's basically The Thing, the anime. I love it.

Might have to check this out...

Hey guys, what are the chances we'll see some more DLC characters for Ultimax? ... I really want Atlus to break kayfabe
and put
Shinji
in...

tumblr_lq7u7mAY3K1qm1uyq.gif

I know.

and put
Shinji
in...

Might have to check this out...
Its honestly more likely for them to put
Minato then shinji since minato wasnt killed or murdered like Shinji

If you're familiar with the genre, I hear it's good. Poorly written if you're an outsider however.

It's similar to Evangelion in that on a surface level it's not all that special, aside from some awesome fights and shit, but it does a lot of awesome shit if you're familiar with the tropes of Magical Girls and is just a cool universe as a whole.

demidar

It's similar to Evangelion in that on a surface level it's not all that special, aside from some awesome fights and shit, but it does a lot of awesome shit if you're familiar with the tropes of Magical Girls and is just a cool universe as a whole.

The music's good too.

I do accept that it's my fault for diving into a show that is specifically catered to magical girl fans though.

Even without the knowledge, there's still a lot of great writing going on and, again, similar to Evangelion, is a hell of a lot better on a second viewing, since shit'll stand out and the obtuse nature of the pacing makes a lot more sense. You'll also notice symbolism and shit you had no way to know to pay attention to the first time.

It's unfortunate, because I can never tell someone to go watch a series a second time if they didn't enjoy it, because I acknowledge that that's bullshit, but it's also one of the common factors in a lot of things I love, and things people tend to criticize for that very reason.

But yeah, dat OST.

Its honestly more likely for them to put
Minato then shinji since minato wasnt killed or murdered like Shinji

Somebody said here, I believe,
that Shinji can actually survive in the PSP remake depending on what you do?

Most likely not. As I look at my boxed copy, I notice the current roster was already all on the cover.

Yeah, that is pretty damning I guess. Aw well.
Man, I want another real grappler though, real bad. I thought partial grapplers would be cool, but Adachi and Sho lack that punch Kanji has. I want another slow, heavy hitter. Plus, Shinji is awesome.

BigDes

So when Pat said they wanted to the Shitstorm this way so as not to scrape the bottom of the barrel, what shit must there be out there that they chose Escape from Bug Island?

EDIT: ahahaha Pat has a special bug killing stick

Pat there might be a bug in your kitchen right now

A unending barrage of drama, lacking any contrast, build-up and proper pacing, all the while the writer not knowing how to handle one of its main characters (among other things) backfired for me. Twelve episodes was genuinely too short for what it was trying to accomplish.
. I get there are symbolisms that might be missed the first time through and I do understand your point, but I won't be watching it again.

The drama has purpose, though, and there's a very stark contrast, so much so that it's the point of the show. Starts light, gets dark then gray at the end. There's tons of build-up, the major plot point of the Walpurgis being a constant looming threat and the entire series is a collection of events leading up to that one important moment. I had no trouble with the pacing and found it to be pretty straight forward as a whole, with any weirdness being clearly done by design in order to lend more to the time travel plot line. And I don't know which character you're referring to, since every character was likable and had their own arcs which played into the central theme. And I honestly don't think 24+ would be a good idea for this story, it takes place over a month and that, again, plays into everything. The length was just right and they explored the time travel concepts well within that time.

And you have no obligations to watch it again, nor am I telling you to do so, just that many of your complaints would be lessened by a second viewing, which you shouldn't do if you didn't enjoy it from the beginning, since you'd just be doing it to justify your opinion and that's never a good way to absorb any media.

As a whole, though, I don't think you need to have too much knowledge of the genre to appreciate the story of Madoka, you just have to think about some of the stuff more than you would any given linear series.

But, opinions and you're free to have yours. I just strongly disagree with you on almost every point and feel you're misremembering certain aspects of the plot. Which is not to say it's infallible or that it doesn't have issues, I just don't agree with the ones you've taken.

Sorry if that came across as assholish or angry in anyway, I just don't know anyway to formulate a counter argument without coming across as though my jimmies are fully rustled, like a certain Village.

In fact, I'd probably say that Sayaka, followed by Homura, are my favorite characters in the show and are the reasons I kept watching.

I think at the end of the day Madoka ended up being my favorite, because she was the point and the entire series the question is "Why?" then they give one of the most satisfying answers I've ever heard in a series for why the main character is important.

Somebody said here, I believe,
that Shinji can actually survive in the PSP remake depending on what you do?

Yeah, that is pretty damning I guess. Aw well.
Man, I want another real grappler though, real bad. I thought partial grapplers would be cool, but Adachi and Sho lack that punch Kanji has. I want another slow, heavy hitter. Plus, Shinji is awesome.
you can only save shinji in the female playthrough, and the only canon thing about that is Theo.

Heh, that wasn't the reaction I was expecting. Did you read through it tho? I'm hoping it made my point a bit more clear and was wondering whether I was actually misinformed about that one point.

I can't watch the vid unfortunately, but the title says enough. But yeah, different strokes. I do admit that I might be misremembering stuff as I mostly just remember my base feelings about the events in that show and I also understand that you're not pushing me to watch it again and what the merits of it might be anyway, but I'm afraid I might indeed not be able to go into it with a neutral mind.

Right now it's just the case of it not being able to have a lasting impact on me and that's fine.

Yeah, I read it, and you have some valid reasons, but going any further down the road of trying explain why I disagree with you, AKA "why your opinion is incorrect and I hate you forever" is both a really dumb thing to do in general and would pretty much just be splitting hairs over the meaning of things or the intentions that went into them and it's like 3AM so I don't have that in me right now.

Either way, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Jesus christ. Looking at how fucking bad that looks. Yet it's still miles better than the Golden Animation.
Also, if you really want to get into the nerd debate then Yu is the weakest of the Persona protagonists.

Edit: You fucking switched the gif, you jerk.
Yeah I noticed 2 watermarks in the top right and lower left corners, I didn't want to go the way of Aaron. It took us weeks to exorcise him when he became a ghost

I still can't get over Miku on Letterman. How the hell does that happen?

The same way there's a Miku expo and a Kite movie. Anime is somewhat popular with the youth, a demographic that television needs now more than ever. That and Miku is a new novelty to a lot of people, hologram concerts are neat and completely digital music that is honestly pretty catchy.

My mom worked at a daycare center for a few years and she used to play Ievan Polkka because the kids loved that shit.

demidar

The same way there's a Miku expo and a Kite movie. Anime is somewhat popular with the youth, a demographic that television needs now more than ever. That and Miku is a new novelty to a lot of people, hologram concerts are neat and completely digital music that is honestly pretty catchy.

My mom worked at a daycare center for a few years and she used to play Ievan Polkka because the kids loved that shit.

Miku is really catchy, and since its completely synthesized they can push the voice to do some crazy stuff which results in music you've never heard of (but it can still do relatively realistic songs).

I didn't think animu was that popular with the kids nowadays. Better than recent times but nowhere near the age of DBZ. It is probably more diverse though, people watch more than just shounen/shoujo stuff now. I don't fraternize with kids though.

Did your mum play Ievan Polkka because she knew it from elsewhere? Because kids love everything except vegetables so them liking that song isn't a big thing.

How's that 2Pac hologram stuff going? I find it hilarious that its origins was some kawaii desu ne stuff.

Miku is really catchy, and since its completely synthesized they can push the voice to do some crazy stuff which results in music you've never heard of (but it can still do relatively realistic songs).

I didn't think animu was that popular with the kids nowadays. Better than recent times but nowhere near the age of DBZ. It is probably more diverse though, people watch more than just shounen/shoujo stuff now. I don't fraternize with kids though.

Did your mum play Ievan Polkka because she knew it from elsewhere? Because kids love everything except vegetables so them liking that song isn't a big thing.

How's that 2Pac hologram stuff going? I find it hilarious that its origins was some kawaii desu ne stuff.

Anime isn't as popular as it used to be, no, but what it is is known that it's at least somewhat popular, which is what matters. Even if it's only 30% as popular as it once was, it's still way more recognized in the mainstream which for getting attention on TV and movies made for them, means a hell of a lot more than more people actually watching. Like I said, L'Oreal is selling a "Manga Eyeliner" and that blows my goddamn mind.

I showed her a video of it and she liked it, then played it for the kids. And I was more saying that an adult thought the song was catchy and put it in the ears of children, which is more important than a kid liking something.

And I haven't actually heard anything about those, it's all been Miku because apparently people actually go to those.

I enjoyed Madoka Magica a whole lot, but it certainly isn't a show I would recommend to a whole lot of people (even people who're big into anime).

I certainly enjoyed watching the show a second time a whole lot more, but only because I was more familiar with the writer at that point. Besides the whole deconstruction of the magical girl trope thing it has going on, it's mostly a show in which Gen 'Urobutcher' Urobotchi is playing around whith expectations.

Most people when looking for a new show to watch will give it three episodes and move on if there is nothing there that interested them. He purposefully made it so that those people would drop the show before it got to the good parts. Gen also just likes to shock people a whole lot, so there's that. The pacing is poor and won't make any sense untill you've watched the final episode and Madoka, while being the official main character, mostly just cries a lot and is only there so the side characters have a reason for being there as well. She's a very videogame-y protagonist in that she serves as an analouge through which the viewer can experience and learn about the world and it's other characters ("Who are you? What is this shit? Why is this happening? What the fuck is going on?") without being really all that important herself.

I would hartily reccomend any of Gen Urobochi's other show's over Madoka Magica as I think he's a very good writer with a sadistic penchant for killing off a lot of his cast.

Black Lagoon is a show about a man embodying the sentiment of "Fuck it.". Also lot's of shooting and cool action babes.
Fate/Zero is a much darker and more mature prequel to the fairly light Fate/Stay Night (can't speak for the F/SN visual novels, haven't touched those).
Psycho Pass is a very topical modern masterpiece tackling societal problems, emotional repression, philosphy, fear, trauma and nostalgia wrapped in an interesting, western media inspired, cyberpunk setting.

Also, update on Vagabond. Shit's amazing yo! Still! Nearly 70 chapters in and it's. still. getting. better. There are two concurrent fights which last around 20(!!) chapters total and each page is more hype than the next one. It's everything that you wish Dragon Ball would have been. Even people not actually fighting, but just watching each other, waiting for the perfect moment to strike is FUCKING INTENSE. I love it. The pacing is just absolutely parfekt and the writing is sublime!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'll put it on my To-Watch list along with Aldnoah.Zero, heard good things about that one too.

The only problem with Gaim is that if you're a big Urobuchi fan, you're going to be able to easily spot and predict some of his more oft-used tropes. The way I see it, Urobuchi probably assumed (rightly so) that a lot of Kamen Rider's target audience hadn't seen stuff like Madoka, so he pretty freely re-used a lot of plot points from that and some of his other shows. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but there's almost certainly gonna be multiple times throughout the show when you think "Yep, this is pretty much Madoka".

demidar

Anime isn't as popular as it used to be, no, but what it is is known that it's at least somewhat popular, which is what matters. Even if it's only 30% as popular as it once was, it's still way more recognized in the mainstream which for getting attention on TV and movies made for them, means a hell of a lot more than more people actually watching. Like I said, L'Oreal is selling a "Manga Eyeliner" and that blows my goddamn mind.

I showed her a video of it and she liked it, then played it for the kids. And I was more saying that an adult thought the song was catchy and put it in the ears of children, which is more important than a kid liking something.

And I haven't actually heard anything about those, it's all been Miku because apparently people actually go to those.

Manga Eyeliner. lololololol.

Ievan Polkka isn't exactly a JAPAN IS SO WEIRD piece so it wouldn't scare anyone away. It's not even a Japanese song.

I've weirdly not watched a single other Gen Urobotchi joint despite loving Madoka.
The fuck is wrong with you bro? Go watch Psycho Pass.
<3
But seriously though, go watch it! It's really, really good.

The only problem with Gaim is that if you're a big Urobuchi fan, you're going to be able to easily spot and predict some of his more oft-used tropes. The way I see it, Urobuchi probably assumed (rightly so) that a lot of Kamen Rider's target audience hadn't seen stuff like Madoka, so he pretty freely re-used a lot of plot points from that and some of his other shows. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but there's almost certainly gonna be multiple times throughout the show when you think "Yep, this is pretty much Madoka".
I haven't watched any Kamen Rider ever, tbh, but my interest was sparked after hearing Woolie talk about it (and now the Drive pinball combo gifs). There's just so much of it that I don't know where to start. Would you suggest starting with Gaim just because I like Urobotchi?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I haven't watched any Kamen Rider ever, tbh, but my interest was sparked after hearing Woolie talk about it (and now the Drive pinball combo gifs). There's just so much of it that I don't know where to start. Would you suggest starting with Gaim just because I like Urobotchi?

Absolutely. Gaim's a great place to start. The only minor problem might be that it'd affect your expectations for Riders you watch afterwards. Gaim's a lot different from most Rider shows, since it abandons the "monster of the week" format that KR has had for the past several years in favor of a more "overarching story" format. That said, the best "MOTW" format series are still amazing, like W. And if you like Gaim, you'll love Blade as well (even though the only Blade subs right now are shitty TV-Nihon subs. Avoid them. Go for Over-Time or Aesir when they're available, especially for Gaim).

Kabuto. It's a classic-ass Kamen rider and there's some hype shit.

And I've got a huge backlog, but I'll get to them eventually.

Absolutely. Gaim's a great place to start. The only minor problem might be that it'd affect your expectations for Riders you watch afterwards. Gaim's a lot different from most Rider shows, since it abandons the "monster of the week" format that KR has had for the past several years in favor of a more "overarching story" format. That said, the best "MOTW" format series are still amazing, like W. And if you like Gaim, you'll love Blade as well (even though the only Blade subs right now are shitty TV-Nihon subs. Avoid them. Go for Over-Time or Aesir when they're available, especially for Gaim).

Thanks, will get on that in the near future.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kabuto. It's a classic-ass Kamen rider and there's some hype shit.

And I've got a huge backlog, but I'll get to them eventually.

Kabuto's good, but it falls the fuck apart at the end super bad, like most Rider shows from that era.

For starting shows, I'd suggest Gaim, W, and maybe Agito, though Agito is older and a bit slower paced. It's like a much better version of Kuuga, which is just boring.

And if you're looking for a lighter-hearted Rider series, try Den-O. It's much more comedy-based while still being a fun action show.

I'd suggest avoiding Hibiki (veeeeery Japanese-themed, bad TV-Nihon translation, just way different than every other Rider show), Faiz (hope you like J-dramas and convoluted plots fueled by simple misunderstandings), and Wizard (literally nothing happens for at least 35 of the 51 episodes).

Oberon

Banned
Oh Great, I am Satan according to Pat
He is a Priest so he must know.

Speaking of Priests, is Pat the one who will make Matt and his finacée married?
He can do that! He has the power!

croten

Oh Great, I am Satan according to Pat
He is a Priest so he must know.

Speaking of Priests, is Pat the one who will make Matt and his finacée married?
He can do that! He has the power!

That's true but i doubt it. Would be funny though

demidar

He had a certificate to marry people for the lulz if I remember correctly.
Not sure if that makes him a priest though.

An ordination certificate or something. You can just get one online. Being a priest requires vows I think.

Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb (rip) officiated the marriage of Drew and his fiancee, and that guy is definitely not priest material lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom