• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't have a strong opinion of EVA one way or the other, I think it's great but it's, literally, 2deep4me

It's a story of the human condition under depression and the ways to combat it. The robuts and other shit is window dressing. It's a really great character study.

demidar

The weird thing about Eva is that the super layered shit and all the symbolism isn't even the point of the series. Most people see that and just assume "I don't get this series." But the actual message is super simple, "Don't close yourself off." Accepting the reality of your situation, moving forward and letting others in is almost all of what the primary point is. There's a ton of other stuff, like, a shit ton, but the message of facing your problems is one anyone can understand and relate to.

I'd say that's on the writer that the main message is so clouded that it isn't received by the majority of the audience.

Oberon

Banned
So Atlus is now below cacpcom in my list of VD companies. At least with cacpcom I know that I will get my games from them (The only capcom game I play is MH)
I refuse to get hype for P5, because I am not even sure if I will get to play it. Who knows they might even Regionlock it, just for the fun, just for the lulz
bitches

The show was about Shinji! It was about him coming to grips with his inner demons and issues of insecurity. Mitsuragi, Asuka, Rei are all flawed in their own unique ways but compared to Shinji they were secondary but equally flawed from our POV, not Shinji's.

I can't argue LCL wasn't foreshadowed in the show, because you are correct it is, but we were never given any idea that humanity could be easily consumed into LCL all on the whims of a single human boy.

As feel good as the original ending is to EVA, I can't just accept E of E just hand waving the original show ending, budget restraints notwithstanding.

If Anno wanted to show us what he did in E of E, he would've done so even with budget issues.

But Shinji is still the focus in EoE! His problems are directly there and drive everything, but we also get all the other plot points more tied up as well as some of the best imagery in anything ever.

It is, though. They directly talk about how it's up to the pilot and that's one of the reasons Gendo wanted Shinji, because he knew he could manipulate him into doing what he wanted.

I don't actually side with the two endings being alternate, I take Episodes 25-26 as what Shinji is seeing and EoE being what is actually happening. When he wakes up and chokes Asuka it's after the omedetou scene. Because I take that scene as Shinji accepting his responsibilities and manning up, manning up to deny instrumentality, which is why everyone congratulates him. I don't like the idea of that's him accepting instrumentality, because that makes the show ending the bad ending.

He directly talked in interviews about how he didn't have any of the EoE stuff in the original series because he didn't want to force something in there that he knew wouldn't work and that he wouldn't be happy with. He was excited to do EoE because it gave him a chance to end the series the way he wanted to from the start.

I have a why I think its bad argument, but lets save that for a day I feel like typing up an essay on meaninglessness.

I'm more of a ghost in the shell guy.

MONICA! I like EVA and all, but GitS actually makes sense and actually has something to say and questions to ask other than
'People are dicks, I guess, but that's ok, I think. And the only way I can be happy is if I let myself be happy!'

It's a story of the human condition under depression and the ways to combat it. The robuts and other shit is window dressing. It's a really great character study.

MONICA! I like EVA and all, but GitS actually makes sense and actually has something to say and questions to ask other than
'People are dicks, I guess, but that's ok, I think. And the only way I can be happy is if I let myself be happy!'

I don't think you understood Evangelion. It does make sense and has clear messages that aren't those.

Village

I really don't have a strong opinion of EVA one way or the other, I think it's great but it's, literally, 2deep4me

My issue is I don't think the pool is that deep at all.

I think they told you it was. So you go in and goes up to your ankles and you leave dissapointed.

I don't think you understood Evangelion. It does make sense and has clear messages that aren't those.

It's a show about how the world will never be as great as you hope it is or can be and the only way you can be happy is by accepting yourself for who you are, despite all your faults and fetishes for choking and masturbating over comatose girls. You have to actively work towards creating the conditions of your own happyness and not let it be dictated by other people, technology or religion.

I think I understand Evangelion just fine.

Village

The reason why ghost in the shell, the anime series in particular is good is because it doesn't really have anything to say all it does is suggest you think about things. There isn't any firm stance. It just presents you a possible future based on previous events and gives you things to think about. The anime is really good at this because a lot of times they can give you that thought in the span of an episode.

Like " what if this was an issue with the future" and then they come with simi plausible reasons as to how that would come about, a cool futuristic CSI kinda thing, and just lets you think about.

Its not like brazil where its like bureaucracy is bad

Its like " cyber bureaucracy is bad, cyber bureaucracy is good. How do you feel about it "

Its very open.

It's a show about how the world will never be as great as you hope it is or can be and the only way you can be happy is by accepting yourself for who you are, despite all your faults and fetishes for choking and masturbating over comatose girls. You have to actively work towards creating the conditions of your own happyness and not let it be dictated by other people, technology or religion.

I think I understand Evangelion just fine.

No, you don't, because the series isn't about accepting yourself. There's a whole plot point where Shinji tries to do that and it make everything worse. The single message is to not lock yourself off from society. You can't run away from your problems and you have to accept the reality of your situation.

Village

No, you don't, because the series isn't about accepting yourself. There's a whole plot point where Shinji tries to do that and it make everything worse. The single message is to not lock yourself off from society. You can't run away from your problems and you have to accept the reality of your situation.

If thats really the case this show does that poorly

Village

No, it does it super well, because Shinji doesn't fucking do it. Shinji closes himself off more and more until literally everyone and everything is fucked.
While what you mention is one of the few things I actually will give credit to eva for.

Its lessened with " everything is screwed, oh wait... I don't care about anyone and they never really gave me reasons. Actually I think a lot of them are shits, huh I well I guess everything is screwed. "

I like EVA, but there were a lot of times where I didn't understand what was happening. Not sure if it was because I didn't pay enough attention or if the series is just confusing in general.

I found this image on the funny pics thread.

It's been a day, but I'm still dieing.

jbvt0Tv0Ob5wfV.jpg

I don't care about the EVA haters:

Y'all motherfuckers need Mitsuragi.

Purple haired waifu is best waifu.

A younger, more 13 yr old me would say Askua.

Okingjrr

I found this image on the funny pics thread.

It's been a day, but I'm still dieing.

jbvt0Tv0Ob5wfV.jpg
Aw man, that's gold right there.

Amsterdam is fun you guys. Not to derail the topic or anything. Watching my friends lose it after having consumed their drug 3 hours before was amazing.

RTTP friender origins:
Born in the Caribbean, schooled until high school in the Caribbean then moved to Paris, France for my engineering degree I'm currently working on.

Xiraiya

EVA Sucks. Gundam was the better mech series anyway.

Most mech series don't really interest me as much as other stuff, Mechs are awesome and all but they work better in game form if the story isn't going to carry them, so the last mech related series I can think of that I really enjoyed that wasn't Zoids, was Code Geass.

I always got the impression if you're watching EVA for mechs only, you're probably missing the point, which is unfortunate because I thought the story was nonsense, so Mechs or not, nothing was going to keep me interested.

BigDes

That is less a skeleton and more a meat puppet

In my opinion.

Which is fact.

Because otherwise I wouldn't hold that opinion.

360pages

Rebuild 3.0 was garbage and it wanted to capture the original feel of the series with something that was clearly headed in a different direction. Even the Japanese audience thought it was pretty bad.

EoE was fine for what it was building to, but I really can't say I thought the last ten episodes of Eva were that great anyway. So the ending worked well for the series.

Most mech series don't really interest me as much as other stuff, Mechs are awesome and all but they work better in game form if the story isn't going to carry them, so the last mech related series I can think of that I really enjoyed that wasn't Zoids, was Code Geass.

I always got the impression if you're watching EVA for mechs only, you're probably missing the point, which is unfortunate because I thought the story was nonsense, so Mechs or not, nothing was going to keep me interested.

I came in for the robuts, but stayed for the human interest/depression.

Besides, the Units were less robut & more angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom