• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

I think out of the entire cast, those two were possibly nerfed the hardest.
DeDeDe is fine, I'm just talking about Lucario, as I think he is one of the better characters in the game.
I know, you've already mentioned you find it distasteful and unnecessary, but he's free to use whatever he uses, which is why I merely commented on the "mods won't do anything" part of your post.

I'm more saying Lucario is the worst out of the characters I listed. I still think he is a really good character when used right.

Xiraiya

Well, I main Falcon a lot, so I'm used to characters who drop like stones. I abuse Down B sometimes.
I played Falco mainly, one of my favorite moves in Melee was to throw people into the ground and blast the shield onto them before they got up to launch them back up into the air and then either keep shooting them or just jump up after them and kick them in whatever direction.

It was pretty affective for quick KOs.

Zenfalcia

Nah, it's fine, it's one thing to post something suggestive on the board, but you can do whatever you want to your Avatar. It's yours and no one really have the right to complain about it as long as it doesn't break any of the rules.

I guess so, but if it really bothers someone, might as well, since I don't lose anything.

Alright Smash time. Diddy Kong is still OP and Rosalina is still pretty good. ZSS is great too, and Fox feels good again.

Lucina is basically a nubby, worse Marth, Little Mac is really bad, Falco still sucks, Zelda still needs some help, why nerf Shiek, pls fix Samus, etc etc. Leach is finally good again, and Bowser is fantastic.

The shiek nerf made no sense and so did some of the other nerfs..

You're not, I've come across so many people with that sort of mindset that it's not even funny, it's surprisingly normal.
I always saw it like a kid pushing the boundaries just to be a shit, but that's mainly with the people who get all uppity and angry when you call them out on stuff like that, which is not what you've been doing.

It occurs to me I've basically been an old man my entire time on the internet, even from like 14.
I've never seen any of those being called out on it, but I haven't experienced many message boards. I'm well aware of what I'm doing and how immature it might seem. The hard part is to make it tasteful and humorous.

It's fine. There's nothing wrong with being an old man early, except you'll have a very cynical but a well informed
hopefully
view on life.

I meant as a Idea. Nintendo = Yggdrasil is the greatest concept known to man. Amiibos as the Gaim monsters would be so hype.

edit: I would watch the salty bets tho. Would also be good.

Ah. It is a pretty good idea. So who would fight the Gaim amiibos monsters?

Alright Smash time. Diddy Kong is still OP and Rosalina is still pretty good. ZSS is great too, and Fox feels good again.

Lucina is basically a nubby, worse Marth Little Mac is really bad, Falco still sucks, Zelda still needs some help, why nerf Shiek, pls fix Samus, etc etc. Leach is finally good again, and Bowser is fantastic.

I completely disagree with you there

360pages

Falco was so fucking good in Melee. Great in Brawl as well. His Wii U/3DS version is so incredibly disappointing. He used to be my main until the latest Smash. Pretty easy chaingrab in Brawl as well, though I preferred not to use it.

I use both Fox and Falco often.

One thing Falco has over Fox is his blaster, it stops rush down cold and forces the foe to attack from the air or take a decent amount of damage. Also Falco's air game is a bit better than Fox's also his Side B has a mini meto effect if you hit someone in the air with it.

Xiraiya

Falco was so fucking good in Melee. Great in Brawl as well. His Wii U/3DS version is so incredibly disappointing. He used to be my main until the latest Smash. Pretty easy chaingrab in Brawl as well, though I preferred not to use it.
Yeah I'm not sure about the whole kicking a shield at people thing, he could take on 3 Level 9 CPU in 3 VS 1 and win pretty effectively in melee, maybe he was overpowered, I just thought I had gotten use to the game.

It's fine. There's nothing wrong with being an old man early, except you'll have a very cynical but a well informed
hopefully
view on life.
I don't regard myself as cynical as I don't feel like I look at things too negatively (unless they specifically deserve it), compared to people I've seen around here and Pat for example, but I do see how it might seem similar.

360pages

To be fair Melee Level 9's were pretty fair. They were good at the game but they didn't read your button inputs and other stuff like Brawl and Smash 4 does.

Diddy Kong isn't op, he's just really good. I agree with the rest of your post, aside from Sheik and Bowser. Sheik was really fucking good, I just think the nerfs she got were the worst possible ones. Bowser is good, but he's strongly overrated.
I think a lot of the Bowser praise comes from that there is finally a good heavy bruiser in the game, and he's really fun to play. Overall, Bowser feels really balanced.

Diddy Kong is so good at setting the pace, and his mobility is way too good. He's probably not OP, and it's only that I have the worst luck ever, playing these godlike monkeys.

I played Falco mainly, one of my favorite moves in Melee was to throw people into the ground and blast the shield onto them before they got up to launch them back up into the air and then either keep shooting them or just jump up after them and kick them in whatever direction.

It was pretty affective for quick KOs.

Falco has always been a mid tier character in every single Smash game, so I'm not surprised.

Also, yes you are an old man in a young person's body. So am I.

I'm just a bit more neurotic and less cynical than you or Pat.

I think a lot of the Bowser praise comes from that there is finally a good heavy bruiser in the game, and he's really fun to play. Overall, Bowser feels really balanced.

Diddy Kong is so good at setting the pace, and his mobility is way too good. He's probably not OP, and it's only that I have the worst luck ever, playing these godlike monkeys.

Ganondorf tho.

360pages

His reflector was situational (and broken in item battles), but it's still a decent, safe way to poke at mid-range with a high chance of tripping people. He was certainly not the juggernaut he was in Melee, but he was vastly better than he is in the latest smash.
Falco's blaster is great, though the aerial firing speed has been decreased IIRC. I never use side B for anything other than recovery or escape pressure for a second (though even then it's unsafe), so I wouldn't know about the latter point.

I noticed it when people try to chase me when I'm launched. It's a decent punish for that kind of thing.

360pages

Which is funny, since I switched to DeDeDe as mu main heavy character just do to better ranger and recovery

Zenfalcia

I don't regard myself as cynical as I don't feel like I look at things too negatively (unless they specifically deserve it), compared to people I've seen around here and Pat for example, but I do see how it might seem similar.

I don't know what another word would be, mature view? Justified view? Although adults can have unjustified or wrong views...

Either each other or more Kamen Rider with a figurine based design. The regular monsters would be assist trophies and the
Overlordswould be the regular cast.

What if they made custom made mii amiibos.. I doubt it'll have a high demand though.. hmmm...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are you insane? In what universe was Falco mid-tier in Melee? Or even Brawl for that matter?
Also #Ganondorf4Ever

I see. I'll keep that in mind.

I was about to say. I never really played Smash, but I remember Falco being pretty highly regarded in competitive circles.

Xiraiya

That reminds me, Melee had a weird thing where Roy and Marth fighting eachother for some reason seemed to speed the game up noticeably for brief moments, I thought maybe I was crazy but something was definitely happening specifically with those two.

Xiraiya

I actually really like the Amiibo idea with customized characters and stats etc. up until you never get to use them yourself, I get why but they really need actual player use.

Zenfalcia

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh god. Those could be the items used with drivers in order to henshin.

It's impractical to actually sell it.

That'll be pretty sick, but what's stopping you from using other amiibos as drivers..
I have no knowledge of kamen riders or anything.

Unless they sold blank miis where you can buy parts to customize them... Hmmm..

I actually really like the Amiibo idea with customized characters and stats etc. up until you never get to use them yourself, I get why but they really need actual player use.

Couldn't you use two amiibos to train each other? It'll be dumb, but it could work.

360pages

Does anyone want to read a slow ass story that doesn't have an action scene until chapter 4 and the next action scene isn't until chapter 8/9?

Then I got a story for you!

I also have a story that has action in every chapter...

Xiraiya

Couldn't you use two amiibos to train each other? It'll be dumb, but it could work.

No I mean, from everything I've seen of smash, you don't play those characters, the CPU does, which to me defeats half of the purpose of having such an indepth system.

That'll be pretty sick, but what's stopping you from using other amiibos as drivers..
I have no knowledge of kamen riders or anything.

Unless they sold blank miis where you can buy parts to customize them... Hmmm..
The theme of Gaim is using the forbidden fruits in order to power up is a really cool design. The mosters also uses it, but instead becomes more and more monstrous. It was fucking sick.

I'd buy it. It reminds me of the swap feature in Skylanders.

Are you insane? In what universe was Falco mid-tier in Melee? Or even Brawl for that matter?
Also #Ganondorf4Ever

I see. I'll keep that in mind.

Mid tier to me I should say. I'm biased though. I have a very huge preference for Fox over Falco.

IIRC Falco was nerfed a bit in Brawl.

Fuck Pat, he reminded me about WoW, which made me think about how they have that Molten Corgi thing going on for the anniversary.

SStGXti.png

And of course it has to be when Battle.Net is down for maintenance. I don't think I'm going to subscribe since I'm unemployed, but the level to 20 sounds like something I might do, just to see what's changed. I don't think I've played this game since... vanilla maybe, doesn't matter since I don't remember my password and I doubt I can access the email I used it on. Not like it really matters. I think tried out a private server in WotLK but no one used it so it was really dull. Guess I'll create a new character in a few hours.

Again, fuck you, Pat, and especially fuck you, Blizzard support tech, for planting those seeds in his fucking head.

What if they made custom made mii amiibos.. I doubt it'll have a high demand though.. hmmm...

Well, Miis are fairly cookie cutter, you could probably narrow it down to a few body sizes and have a machine that can do it, maybe put it in at Nintendo World stores. It could have some of the different head shapes in each skin colour, plop on a hairstyle, plop it on one of the coloured bodies, then silk screen on the facial features. Heck, it could probably get away with stickers for the eyes and facial hair and pens to draw the mouth and other face things.

Not sure if it'd be profitable, though. It could be done.

Zenfalcia

No I mean, from everything I've seen of smash, you don't play those characters, the CPU does, which to me defeats half of the purpose of having such an indepth system.

So you wish you could use the mii to select your character and have like customized things like names etc? It does allow cockfighting to happen, cpu vs cpu and it also gives a figure a different more applicable reason to buy it?

The theme of Gaim is using the forbidden fruits in order to power up is a really cool design. The mosters also uses it, but instead becomes more and more monstrous. It was fucking sick.

I'd buy it. It reminds me of the swap feature in Skylanders.
Ah, ok. sounds cool.

It'll probably be similar but hopefully more in depth if they ever do it.

Well, Miis are fairly cookie cutter, you could probably narrow it down to a few body sizes and have a machine that can do it, maybe put it in at Nintendo World stores. It could have some of the different head shapes in each skin colour, plop on a hairstyle, plop it on one of the coloured bodies, then silk screen on the facial features. Heck, it could probably get away with stickers for the eyes and facial hair and pens to draw the mouth and other face things.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard to do it, just would anyone get it? I doubt it.

croten

Fuck Pat, he reminded me about WoW, which made me think about how they have that Molten Corgi thing going on for the anniversary.

SStGXti.png

And of course it has to be when Battle.Net is down for maintenance. I don't think I'm going to subscribe since I'm unemployed, but the level to 20 sounds like something I might do, just to see what's changed. I don't think I've played this game since... vanilla maybe, doesn't matter since I don't remember my password and I doubt I can access the email I used it on. Not like it really matters. I think tried out a private server in WotLK but no one used it so it was really dull. Guess I'll create a new character in a few hours.

Again, fuck you, Pat, and especially fuck you, Blizzard support tech, for planting those seeds in his fucking head.

No! Don't do it! Pat told you not to do it! Do something safer like crack instead.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think what they're going for is having your own cultivated "pet" Amiibo CPU that you train in the game. It's sort of an odd system, but the A.I. apparently does grow and adapt to your playstyle, so I suppose that's interesting.

360pages

To be fair it's pretty much pokemon battles with smash characters.

I think it's a fun idea, and considering how good the Amibo's are supposed to be anyway. (One made it pretty far in a tournament) I think they can be good for people who aren't the best in the game but still want to go to tournaments and bet

So Smash4 is bricking consoles?

WAT?!

To be fair it's pretty much pokemon battles with smash characters.

I think it's a fun idea, and considering how good the Amibo's are supposed to be anyway. (One made it pretty far in a tournament) I think they can be good for people who aren't the best in the game but still want to go to tournaments and bet

Nintendo:Encouraging Underage Gambling since 1983

So you wish you could use the mii to select your character and have like customized things like names etc? It does allow cockfighting to happen, cpu vs cpu and it also gives a figure a different more applicable reason to buy it?

Well, my thing is that there just doesn't seem to be too much of a gameplay reason to use it because it doesn't do anything for me. It's neat to watch but I really don't care much about training a CPU character to read my inputs.

That said, I would love to see a tournament between pros, team battles, each pro trains their own Amiibo to team up with. Or maybe even better, each pro uses the Amiibo trained by their opponent. That could be fun to watch,

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Only if you do something after a for glory match apparently

It sounds like it's just save data corruption, from reading the thread. Smash autosaves at various times without an indicator, so presumably these people might have closed out the game or shut down the system while it was saving.

360pages

Information is currently surfacing of game and system breaking error codes for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. It is important to note that these same error codes have also appeared prior to the release of the latest Smash entry for Wii U, and are not widespread problems.

Error code 160-0103 is said to be appearing at random for Wii U owners, though some users have mentioned the error occurs after playing the For Glory mode and starting their system up again.

According to Smash players who have encountered the issue, it is allegedly due to a problem with the system memory. One theory claims the error code is caused by the game’s update data, and not the Wii U itself.

The error is apparent with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and all other parts of the system will function until Smash or the Data Management page on the Wii U HOME Menu is accessed.

Accessing Data Management will result in error code 160-1710, and from here a series of events can unfold. Reported problems currently include complete Wii U memory wipes, and even bricked systems.

Users who encountered the original error were reportedly advised to format their systems which resulted in the second error code, and then had to send their bricked Wii U to Nintendo for repair.

At least that is what I heard.

If you get the error DO NOT FORMAT YOU WIIU! You will just brick your WiiU instead of fixing smash.

Xiraiya

Yeah, basically I would appreciate a mode where you can play as the amiibo you leveled up and built, even if that mode didn't give you any exp for it, I love any sort of character customization and it just seems a shame that what you do get with the Amiibos, you can't use for your own enjoyment, you just watch them, so it's like ...Well okay I guess.

I think what they're going for is having your own cultivated "pet" Amiibo CPU that you train in the game. It's sort of an odd system, but the A.I. apparently does grow and adapt to your playstyle, so I suppose that's interesting.
That's fine but there not being a mode where you PLAY as them, is silly, it's a character with more depth than the regular versions but you can't use them? I don't get that.

Zenfalcia

Well, my thing is that there just doesn't seem to be too much of a gameplay reason to use it because it doesn't do anything for me. It's neat to watch but I really don't care much about training a CPU character to read my inputs.

That said, I would love to see a tournament between pros, team battles, each pro trains their own Amiibo to team up with. Or maybe even better, each pro uses the Amiibo trained by their opponent. That could be fun to watch,

Besides having a really tough CPU to train against, I don't see much reason behind it either.

That would be fun to watch.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, basically I would appreciate a mode where you can play as the amiibo you leveled up and built, even if that mode didn't give you any exp for it, I love any sort of character customization and it just seems a shame that what you do get with the Amiibos, you can't use for your own enjoyment, you just watch them, so it's like ...Well okay I guess.

It's dissapointing you can't, but there's no tangible benefits of their characters, right? Or do they have boosted stats or something?

Hey Sassy Frienders,
Yo the FrienderCast! Perfect, now I can listen to it while I am studying!

I tried doing that and wasn't successful at all.

NEVER bring this up again.

Too late.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's fine but there not being a mode where you PLAY as them, is silly, it's a character with more depth than the regular versions but you can't use them? I don't get that.

I'm pretty sure there's already character customization included without Amiibos, with move and stat modifiers that are unlocked through normal play. I haven't explored this in the WiiU version, but you could in the 3DS version at least.

But I do think the Amiibo functionality could have been expanded a bit. I only imagine that Nintendo will do so given their current popularity.

Xiraiya

It's dissapointing you can't, but there's no tangible benefits of their characters, right? Or do they have boosted stats or something?

The character, however, can be modified by players by character customization options available in the game. With these modifications, amiibo figurines can level up as they fight more often, up to a level of 50; as they gain levels, amiibo can potentially "learn" techniques from other characters, as well as gain improved fighting statistics. amiibo can be used on any copy of the game, and the character on the amiibo is tied to the figurine, allowing for players to use its customized moveset wherever they desire.

They have stats that increase, though I'm not sure how much influence you have over them, but they're there and changeable skills and other stuff, you pick their costume that they'll always default to and name them etc.

It looked like there was something about items but that might have been the moveset thing.

Hey Sassy Frienders,
Yo the FrienderCast! Perfect, now I can listen to it while I am studying!

I'm one of those guys that can only really listen to instrumentals when studying, I can't imagine listening to a podcast.

I think they have buffed stats and they input read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom