• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
P4 has a more shallow, more like-able cast, and I prefer the setting. It also plays better I guess.
P3 has higher quality writing and more believable characters. Arguably better soundtrack imo.

You want atmosphere? Don't play Persona- SMT all the way baby.
But not really, though. I know it's not for everyone. Just wanted to use this at least once.
Heh. I think the only "adult cartoon" I like is Bob's Burgers though. (Even then I don't care too much for it, and I've only seen 2-3 episodes.)

ultimax

I heard it's just Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG. I wanna play it for the battle system even though I hate South Park.
LiquidBrother.gif

I kinda wanna play it too, but i hate south park humor so much, i dont know if i can handle a whole RPG worth of it. Especially when the running gag is fart jokes and probing.....
I can't play P3P anymore. God that shit was broke as fuck.

I talk a lot of shit about Persona 4, but i dont want people to think i hate it. compared to most other games its one of my favorites. But when im comparing it to other persona games i think its shitty. Story wise and character wise

LiquidBrother.gif

I kinda wanna play it too, but i hate south park humor so much, i dont know if i can handle a whole RPG worth of it. Especially when the running gag is fart jokes and probing.....

They made a game thats for south park fans only. So yea you would hate the shit out of it.

I bought and started playing Persona 3 FES a bit ago, and I'm enjoying the atmosphere and characters a lot more versus Persona 4. Being in a big school with tons of students feels a lot more homey, I have fond memories of high school and the school I went to had a lot of students (around 2000 or so). The sense of mystery is done better, the other characters don't worship the main character, and the soundtrack has a lot more energy.

I also value how menacing the world feels in Persona 3. Drama in Persona 4 is a lot more personal, whereas the drama in Persona 3 revolves around larger things being at stake. Persona 4 is a great game, but I like the ebb and flow a lot more in Persona 3.
P3 shows character development way better than P4. If you told me before the first full moon that Junpei would be my favorite character by the end of the game I would have cut off my head with a chainsaw. He
develops slowly as the days past and I see more and more of his ideals leaking out. While flawed they may well be, he tries to change for the better as you go along and is truly compelling.
I talk a lot of shit about Persona 4, but i dont want people to think i hate it. compared to most other games its one of my favorites. But when im comparing it to other persona games i think its shitty. Story wise and character wise
I agree too. They feel shallow due to the weird nature that S-Links are structured.

P4 has more a shallower, more like-able cast, and I prefer the setting. It also plays better I guess.
P3 has higher quality writing and more believable characters. Arguably better soundtrack imo.

I like the themes as setting of 4 more, so the writing appeals more to me there. And I didn't actually like most of the 3 cast at all, so being more believable has no merit to me. If realistic equates boring then I'll take likable and shallow everyday of the week. The P4 soundtrack also feels me with way more feels than 3's. So I prefer that one.

But eh, that's opinions.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
P3 shows character development way better than P4. If you told me before the first full moon that Junpei would be my favorite character by the end of the game I would have cut off my head with a chainsaw. He
develops slowly as the days past and I see more and more of his ideals leaking out. While flawed they may well be, he tries to change for the better as you go along and is truly compelling.

Junpei and Yukari are by far the best characters in P3 or P4.

I like the themes as setting of 4 more, so the writing appeals more to me there. And I didn't actually like most of the 3 cast at all, so being more believable has no merit to me. If realistic equates boring then I'll take likable and shallow everyday of the week. The P4 soundtrack also feels me with way more feels than 3's. So I prefer that one.

But eh, that's opinions.
Opinions, yeah. You should play Persona 2 though. Likeable+Depth=Jackpot
Also Digital Devil Saga if you dig unique settings and story.

Man, Atlus needs to do another spin off series on those games' level. Just take a mythology and spin a crazy story that draws parallels from that mythos.
We need more SMT spinoffs. That PS2 era is crazy.

MormaPope

Banned
P4 has a more shallow, more like-able cast, and I prefer the setting. It also plays better I guess.

You want atmosphere? Don't play Persona- SMT all the way baby.
Heh. I think the only "adult cartoon" I like is Bob's Burgers though. (Even then I don't care too much for it, and I've only seen 2-3 episodes.)

Also Digital Devil Saga if you dig unique settings and story.

Man, Atlus needs to do another spin off series on those games' level. Just take a mythology and spin a crazy story that draws parallels from that mythos.

I've been eyeing Digital Devil Saga for a while, is Nocturne a prequel to that series or is it connected in any way? Also how is the Devil Summoner series.

I hope they arent in persona 5, or they revamp the system entirely.

im just dreaming tho
Me too. At least don't have your party members be S-links. They made everyone a fucking Social Link in P4 due to the fact that you don't live with them which forces conversation which creates development. All of the S-links of your party members barely have any development.

I got a feeling Social links will stay just for the waifus.

I've been eyeing Digital Devil Saga for a while, is Nocturne a prequel to that series or is it connected in any way? Also how is the Devil Summoner series.
Nocturne is wholly separate. DDS is an original spinoff. DDS1 and 2 have a higher focus on narrative while being a linear JRPG along the lines of Final Fantasy. You have a set party of characters to rotate through. Personally I'm only a bit into DDS1, but it's a pretty solid entry, and DDS2 is apparently much more polished.

Nocturne is a mainline game, so it's more like Pokemon, where you have to fuse a team of Demons much like how you fuse Personae. It lays the atmosphere on thick, and the story is quite light. It has some "git gud" bosses and is generally challenging throughout.

Both games share the Press Turn Battle system- which is my favorite JRPG battle systems (along with Chrono Trigger).

Devil summoner is a good bit older, and it shows, but it's still pretty playable. I'd recommend Strange Journey over it, if you want to play a first person dungeon crawling SMT though.

There's no real story connection. Other than very small nods to the whole MegaTen multiverse, DDS is its own thing. They're the best RPGs on the PS2 as far as I'm concerned.

Got nothing to say about the Devil Summoner games however as I've yet to play any of them.

Nocturne is wholly separate. DDS is an original spinoff. DDS1 and 2 have a higher focus on narrative while being a linear JRPG along the lines of Final Fantasy. You have a set party of characters to rotate through. Personally I'm only a bit into DDS1, but it's a pretty solid entry, and DDS2 is apparently much more polished.

Nocturne is a mainline game, so it's more like Pokemon, where you have to fuse a team of Demons much like how you fuse Personae. It lays the atmosphere on thick, and the story is quite light. It has some "git gud" bosses and is generally challenging throughout.

Both games share the Press Turn Battle system- which is my favorite JRPG battle systems (along with Chrono Trigger).

Devil summoner is a good bit older, and it shows, but it's still pretty playable. I'd recommend Strange Journey over it, if you want to play a first person dungeon crawling SMT though.
Nocturne also features Dante from.Devil May Cry

MormaPope

Banned

Thank you for the info, I'll probably go with DDS1&2, and maybe Devil Summoner 2.

There's no real story connection. Other than very small nods to the whole MegaTen multiverse, DDS is its own thing. They're the best RPGs on the PS2 as far as I'm concerned.

Got nothing to say about the Devil Summoner games however as I've yet to play any of them.

Awesome, will probably order them sometime in the future, they're really cheap for new copies on amazon.

sjay1994

Why the fuck did I go back to normal GAF.

OMG.

Apparently you don't count as a minority if one of your parents is white, and if the player can't see a character... he doesn't count as a character.

Holy shit... fuck normal GAF

Never the fuck again

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The Grandia system has no peer for me. As much as people may dislike Grandia 3, I think it's the best iteration of the franchise's battle system and was the sole reason I played through and enjoyed that game.

sjay1994

NeoGAF isn't great.

Like every comment I read now about video games on GAF is if your character is not female and is white.... you are a creatively bankrupt fuck and should be ashamed of yourself. Unless you are Naughty Dog.

Not to mention the sheer fucking bias.

I joined GAF because I thought it was a magical place of hype and happiness because of the PS4 reveal thread.

I was fucking wrong.

OMG.

Apparently you don't count as a minority if one of your parents is white, and if the player can't see a character... he doesn't count as a character.

Never the fuck again
I only fuck around with communities for that very reason.

NormalGaf is a fucking blight.

The Grandia system has no peer for me. As much as people may dislike Grandia 3, I think it's the best iteration of the franchise's battle system and was the sole reason I played through and enjoyed that game.
Really? I haven't touched Grandia actually, haven't even heard much about it. I'll have to look into that.
OMG.
Never the fuck again
Ignore those threads.

Smash time? Smash time. Who's in?

longing2.jpg
One day I will join you guys, but not today

I joined GAF because I thought it was a magical place of hype and happiness because of the PS4 reveal thread.

I was fucking wrong.

NeoGAF was a news source before BestGAF and I rarely posted because I really didn't want to talk to 90% of the people here, but it really seems like it has only gotten worse recently.

I really, REALLY hate the term SJW and everything that comes with anyone saying that, but recently it feels like how games play is barely even a topic and if you don't care as much about social views in games then you're part of the problem. Then everything else is just as nonsensical and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom