• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Guys, be honest with me. How bad is the Evil Within LP? I'm seeing a lot of, well, -rage-, over that dog boss fight. Is it just unwatchable or what? I'm seein DSP comparisons here.

I haven't watched The Evil Within LP yet because I want to play it first, but I don't think this should ever be a concern for you.

Yeah, the trouble is recording in batches makes it look like they're not listening to suggestions, but every LPer who records in segments runs into that.

That's the unfortunate part of LP's over streaming is that you can't get the immediate advice and a lot of people don't seem to understand that.

Expanding a bit on the Dog Boss, the one thing of the fight I found a bit stupid was the whole glasses bit. It felt like it was padding content and had absolutely no reason to be there.

Complaints on that are more than valid.

Emouse

Guys, be honest with me. How bad is the Evil Within LP? I'm seeing a lot of, well, -rage-, over that dog boss fight. Is it just unwatchable or what? I'm seein DSP comparisons here.

It's fine man, the only thing I'm going to say is use those explosive bolts on the floor, they work on proximity so just lay one down and lure the enemies over it, they blow up and dont need burning and you don't go splat all over the place every time, they're really useful especially against those invisible enemies you see earlier in the game

It is just people being hyperbolic as all hell, those people making DSP comparisons must have never seen one of his videos. The comment section in general seems to have taken a turn for the worst lately.

Speaking of the dog boss, is the glasses thing actually optional?

I'm not going to be getting this game unless it hits a hard sale--the steam forums are, as Pat said, just filled with people asking why their game crashed--but I do like to know if there are alternate paths for things.

Squishy3

It's still fine, I was face palming over how you guys did the puzzle in part 12, but you realized how much of a dumbo you were after you solved it so it's fine. :p

I'm not going to be getting this game unless it hits a hard sale--the steam forums are, as Pat said, just filled with people asking why their game crashed--but I do like to know if there are alternate paths for things.
you have to go back for them, but you can just run back without the dog doing anything to you because Joseph is distracting it.

joe2187

Banned

Its fine, watching the LP convinced me to pick up the Xbone version and replay it.

I didnt even think you could kill the dog boss, after I picked up Josephs glasses I just peaced out and left the Dog alive.

Most people that have nitpicks with it are the ones that played it, and thanks to your LP I'm doing a no upgrade run on survival and blasting through it from all the stuff you learned that I didnt. Saving tons of ammo and matches by just stealthing dudes and using flash bolts for insta-kills and using the bottles to get a quick stealth kill.

Dont sweat it.

Emouse

Yea it's totally optional, there's some other similar stuff later on like that too

Killing the dog is optional, the glasses are not.

Playing TEW blind, you wouldn't figure shit out and effective ways to combat certain enemies.

Pat, you're doing fine and Liam is right. The game is better on NG+ because you can effectively take out enemies then focus on the lore stuff instead of worrying.

Glasses are what I meant, sorry. Other than pumping ammo into the dog, is there a good reason to not kill it? I guess if you're on the higher difficulties ammo might be a premium.
I definitely did not kill the dog on my first run as I wanted to save ammo and was already hurt pretty badly that I wouldn't risk it. Saving resources is basically the main reason to not kill it.

NG+ is another story entirely, however.

joe2187

Banned
Yo this is the second email I got that said some random thx728282-1138@gmail.com has been linked to my email account.

And now I cant log in to my email with my old password.

well looks like it's time to recover my account, and change my info and passwords and put two-step on

I always wait until the end of the sale to pick up my games...

Hm, is the RE4 port good? As much as I know I'll hate Ashley, I get the feeling it would give me the satisfaction that I might get out of TEW.

well looks like it's time to recover my account, and change my info and passwords and put two-step on

2 step fucking everything man. There's nothing to lose except a few seconds while you wait for the code.

Also Pat, the LP convinced me to pick the game up and I learned the kneecap/burn thing from you guys and its been immensely helpful.

You stopped reverse 720 spin kicking the corpses, 0/10, unsubscribing.

It's fine. I'm really liking it. Sorry I made you go back for my glasses

Xiraiya

Jesus no, I'm not sure if my perspective matters in the sea of rage.

But I've been enjoying it just fine, I like seeing Evil Within, and it's not like you guys have been terrible at it, you're about what I'd expect someone's first time with that game to be like, and you have to record AND Talk on top of that.

So it's fine, I wouldn't have figured that boss out any faster, I would have probably tried more things before getting frustrated, and you know I saw a lot of "This is hard, therefore it's shit" mentality from Woolie and Liam Guacamelee that I didn't like and it made me sort of sensitive to that sort of stuff.

So I thought I kind of saw that stuff in yesterday's video, however my girlfriend reminded me that it's different with you because it's just in the moment "fluff" which you're prone to and that's fine because a lot of people are like that, people tend to take everything you do and say WAY too literally for whatever reason, it's weird.

Personally, Part 7 has been my overall favorite part of the LP, but I've been enjoying it all just the same, you guys make me really want to grab it on PC (A couple of crashes isn't enough to bother me)

That's my honest opinion.

croten

I always wait until the end of the sale to pick up my games...

Hm, is the RE4 port good? As much as I know I'll hate Ashley, I get the feeling it would give me the satisfaction that I might get out of TEW.

2 step fucking everything man. There's nothing to lose except a few seconds while you wait for the code.
The new port is great, the old one not so much

It runs pretty much on anything. It's a decent port.

I can wait for that texture update mod to come in. A lot of textures in the game are either muddy and lowres, or warped. Looks bad man.

Beloved

I've been enjoying the LP quite a lot. I mean yeah sometimes you've struggled to figure out the best way to do things but that's understandable and it doesn't make the LP less entertaining (makes it more entertaining at times actually).

Frankly anyone that would make DSP comparisons, has an invalid opinion because DSP is fucking godawful.

Oberon

Banned
While visiting OT i found out where Miura gets his idea for Berserk
From NATURE NSFL! It's really disturbing
For those who don't want to see it ( you really shouldn't)
here's a little description of what happens
A Turtle in an aquarium tears a mouse in two pieces, the upper half tries to swim away but gets eaten anyway

More scary Nature here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140602390#post140602390

Including a video of a Zebra
falling apart like a chinese motorcycle

A Turtle in an aquarium tears a mouse in two pieces, the upper half tries to swim away but gets eaten anyway

More scary Nature here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140602390#post140602390

I'm pretty sure the first one was posted already wasn't it? Also I don't think you should post that here.

edit: I didn't read the Miura part. Man that was terrifying

Emouse

Christ that was fucking metal

Stanley parable is 8 dollars on steam? is that game worth it?

No.

Xiraiya

I see a lot of randoms come into this thread being like "Man they're so bad" in a tone that implies the would be fucking amazing at said game.

And I tend to ignore that, partly because people are usually full of shit and not much better themselves, mistakes get made but they aren't terrible at the games, they're pretty much as good as they should be, the only argument anyone can make is that they don't always progress in skill as quickly as they should or remembering basic rules as well, but that's generally because they're not just sitting down and playing the game in their personal time whenever they feel like.

They record a bunch of parts and then play other stuff or not play that game for weeks because other things are in the way, so watching Woolie get flustered and have no comprehension of what Pat is telling can be annoying, but that's more to do with how Woolie's mind works, so it's not like he's that bad.

I think maybe people see LPers like the Best Friends and expect them to be doing LPs because they're "Pros" or something, no, that's not the point of the channel, they're funny regular guys playing through some games.

It's like hanging out with your friends showing them a game you like and watching them play it.

That's the point of The Super Best Friends.

Man, I get why people were doing the whole DSP comparison, but I don't think everyone realizes how much different the two styles are. DSP has a stream going while the SBF only have each other or the rare times they use guides. That is so vital, even though the "This is how you don't play" videos highlight the Youtube comments.

I used to think about trying LPs of unknown/little known games, but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the comments.

I see a lot of randoms come into this thread being like "Man they're so bad" in a tone that implies the would be fucking amazing at said game.

And I tend to ignore that, partly because people are usually full of shit and not much better themselves, mistakes get made but they aren't terrible at the games, they're pretty much as good as they should be, the only argument anyone can make is that they don't always progress in skill as quickly as they should or remembering basic rules as well, but that's generally because they're not just sitting down and playing the game in their personal time whenever they feel like.

They record a bunch of parts and then play other stuff or not play that game for weeks because other things are in the way, so watching Woolie get flustered and have no comprehension of what Pat is telling can be annoying, but that's more to do with how Woolie's mind works, so it's not like he's that bad.

I think maybe people see LPers and expect them to be doing LPs because they're "Pros" or something, no, that's not the point of the channel, they're funny regular guys playing through some games.

It's like hanging out with your friends showing them a game you like and watching them play it.

That's the point of The Super Best Friends.

The appeal of the Best Friends is the chemistry they all have together.

As a whole, they're better than Giant Bomb IMO.

Emouse

Personally it was a boring slog that I just wanted to be over, felt like it was trying too hard in the humor department too, it felt like I was playing portal 2 again except it was all Wheatley all the time

that being said I did also buy it in a steam sale, so if it's cheap why not?

Man, I get why people were doing the whole DSP comparison, but I don't think everyone realizes how much different the two styles are. DSP has a stream going while the SBF only have each other or the rare times they use guides. That is so vital, even though the "This is how you don't play" videos highlight the Youtube comments.

I used to think about trying LPs of unknown/little known games, but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the comments.

Its why a lot of youtubers just flat out ignore the comments. I'm honestly surprised the best friends still actually read them, especially the youtube ones.

Man, I get why people were doing the whole DSP comparison

Most of them don't understand what they're saying. When I made the comparison I didn't mean it in the sense that they were just like him but more that on occasion they'll make excuses and call the game bad when it's a problem on their end.

They more often than not remedy it by later admitting their mistakes though so it's all good.

What you do is buy yourself a Something Awful account, post your LP in the Let's Play sub forum, and only read the comments from the people over there. If it doesn't suck, then good job.

Worked for me.

Xiraiya

The comparison of TBF to DSP is objectively wrong, and anyone who says otherwise are trying to be antagonistic on purpose, why? I don't know, I think it says a lot about their character... or lack of, in that scenario.

Its why a lot of youtubers just flat out ignore the comments. I'm honestly surprised the best friends still actually read them, especially the youtube ones.

I saw some interesting commentary in the DS2 playthrough about certain builds. I imagine they still want to get a feel for what people think of them.

The appeal of the Best Friends is the chemistry they all have together.

As a whole, they're better than Giant Bomb IMO.

Apples and oranges for me. Giant Bomb have guys that have been through the industry and can offer interesting perspectives on directions that games have taken, SBF is more like the chummy "let's dick around" friends that I have in college.

The comparison of TBF to DSP is objectively wrong

Of course, but objectivity isn't something the internet is known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom