• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

Personally it was a boring slog that I just wanted to be over, felt like it was trying too hard in the humor department too, it felt like I was playing portal 2 again except it was all Wheatley all the time

that being said I did also buy it in a steam sale, so if it's cheap why not?

I guess if you didn't like the humor then that's it but the amount of different endings and the differences between them seems super great.

demidar

I see a lot of randoms come into this thread being like "Man they're so bad" in a tone that implies the would be fucking amazing at said game.

And I tend to ignore that, partly because people are usually full of shit and not much better themselves, mistakes get made but they aren't terrible at the games, they're pretty much as good as they should be, the only argument anyone can make is that they don't always progress in skill as quickly as they should or remembering basic rules as well, but that's generally because they're not just sitting down and playing the game in their personal time whenever they feel like.

They record a bunch of parts and then play other stuff or not play that game for weeks because other things are in the way, so watching Woolie get flustered and have no comprehension of what Pat is telling can be annoying, but that's more to do with how Woolie's mind works, so it's not like he's that bad.

I think maybe people see LPers like the Best Friends and expect them to be doing LPs because they're "Pros" or something, no, that's not the point of the channel, they're funny regular guys playing through some games.

It's like hanging out with your friends showing them a game you like and watching them play it.

That's the point of The Super Best Friends.

Yeah but I'm the kind of guy that goes "You're doing it wrong, give me the controller goddamnit!".

For what it's worth, I really only watch LPs of trainwrecks (David Cage games), games I haven't heard of (Bug Island), or games in genres I don't play (fighting games mainly). Anything else sends me into the aforementioned frustration (it's not as bad as it sounds but it does diminish my enjoyment somewhat).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I see a lot of randoms come into this thread being like "Man they're so bad" in a tone that implies the would be fucking amazing at said game.

And I tend to ignore that, partly because people are usually full of shit and not much better themselves, mistakes get made but they aren't terrible at the games, they're pretty much as good as they should be, the only argument anyone can make is that they don't always progress in skill as quickly as they should or remembering basic rules as well, but that's generally because they're not just sitting down and playing the game in their personal time whenever they feel like.

They record a bunch of parts and then play other stuff or not play that game for weeks because other things are in the way, so watching Woolie get flustered and have no comprehension of what Pat is telling can be annoying, but that's more to do with how Woolie's mind works, so it's not like he's that bad.

I think maybe people see LPers like the Best Friends and expect them to be doing LPs because they're "Pros" or something, no, that's not the point of the channel, they're funny regular guys playing through some games.

It's like hanging out with your friends showing them a game you like and watching them play it.

That's the point of The Super Best Friends.

There's a difference between being "bad" and flat-out ignoring a game's tutorial or queues. I don't think that the SBF are seriously guilty of either for the most part, but certainly not the latter. I've stopped watching certain LPers because of their obtuse and ignorant approach to a new game, and them blaming everything but themselves. It's hard to maintain a conversation and learn the mechanics at the beginning of a game, and I think they do a pretty good job of it. They slip here and there, which they could work on, but nothing egregious.

Anyone looking to the SBF for expert play or speedruns clearly hasn't been watching them (or any LPer for that matter) for very long.

Its why a lot of youtubers just flat out ignore the comments. I'm honestly surprised the best friends still actually read them, especially the youtube ones.

Youtube comments are the lowest rung of input on the internet, only eclipsed possibly by stream chat.

ultimax

I guess if you didn't like the humor then that's it but the amount of different endings and the differences between them seems super great.

i enjoyed the demo quite a bit so i think i'll go for it

the steam sales are getting to me ;~;

Emouse

Poor seal.

Mans gotta eat

I saw the appeal of it initially and after a bunch of reccomendations I caved and got it, I knew it had a bunch of different endings but after getting one I had no desire to try again, to be fair if it wasn't supposed to be funny I would have liked it far more

So I got my laptop on the first of November last year, I've been putting off changing the thermal paste for a few days now but I guess I'm doing it today.........fuck

Also happy Get Fat day everyone. My body is ready for the food

It's fiiiiiine.

Honestly, the worst you could be subjected to is torture at the hands of Geop and his puns.

That's basically a death sentence for me. I cannot handle puns.

If anyone needs context for many of these animal gifs, I can probably give it. Someone in the thread posted a pelican feeding her young as an example of brutal nature, because they thought the pelican was trying to eat the young.

It's fiiiiiine.

Honestly, the worst you could be subjected to is torture at the hands of Geop and his puns.

If there was someone that would kill my drive if I LPed, it'd be either Diabeetus shitting on me or ProtonJon.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow AMERICANS! Good day to the rest of the frienders as well!

I'd be thankful if you guys enjoy the ending of my first playthrough that I recorded with commentary. http://youtu.be/4-r6Fax-SPs

Happy Turkey Day.

I will indeed watch your LP. Had no idea about Little Nemo as a game so this'll be interesting.

croten

Mans gotta eat

I saw the appeal of it initially and after a bunch of reccomendations I caved and got it, I knew it had a bunch of different endings but after getting one I had no desire to try again, to be fair if it wasn't supposed to be funny I would have liked it far more

I'd heavily recommend going for different paths, some of them are far more serious in tone than others.

Xiraiya

There's a difference between being "bad" and flat-out ignoring a game's tutorial or queues. I don't think that the SBF are guilty of either, for the most part, but certainly not the latter.
I definitely agree that is one of the more frustrating things, and I feel like in all honesty that is a little more frequent now among the Super Best friends than it was like 2 years ago.

However, I think it's important for people to do a better job pointing out the difference, you can argue that forgetting and ignoring tutorial prompts and stuff like that is "being bad at the game" but when one is saying that someone is bad at the game, it just sounds like general bad at controls, dying constantly, not knowing how to use anything and not progressing.

Which is not true for most TBF LPs, but it is true that important things games tell them are occasionally overlooked or flat out ignored.

I feel like Pat always tries to pay attention to that stuff, but I can understand how it can be missed when talking to Matt or whoever, same with Woolie, though as much as Woolie tries, boy is he not as observant as Pat.

Matt and Liam are the ones I find who are prone to seeing an important piece of information and being like "Ah who cares", even though Liam is often paying more attention than most at games.

Emouse

I'd heavily recommend going for different paths, some of them are far more serious in tone than others.

Interesting, maybe I'll give it another go at some point, pretty much anything anyone I know has said about it was essentially "hurr hurr it's funny tho"

I will admit I laughed when I made the portal comparison when I was playing and the game straight up dropped me into portal

croten

Interesting, maybe I'll give it another go at some point, pretty much anything anyone I know has said about it was essentially "hurr hurr it's funny tho"

I will admit I laughed when I made the portal comparison when I was playing and the game straight up dropped me into portal

Then they completely missed the entire point.

Okingjrr

Euro-Frienders, it seems like we're all* getting smash a day early! Rejoice!

I'm sorry Emouse and the others who a) didn't get the game early and b) don't have Wii U's
I knew waiting on Wolfenstein was a good idea.

20 bones, and some pocket change. Let's go.

Youdidgood.gif

Okingjrr

Shadow Warrior 3.49€
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 5.99€

Hold me back!!

I only remember you saying that you only got Alpha Sapphire today and not the other things you wanted.
Can't remember the others who said something similar :p
Sorry you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom