• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Jeff's taste in games is super weird, there's probably more games I like that he dislikes then there are games we both like. Doesn't change my opinion of him that he's a smart, funny dude, and his comments on the industry and games journalism is extremely sound.

Also, I didn't find Gwyn disappointing because it was just a dude, he was just a shit boss in comparison to Old King Allant.

Vergil is just a dude and his fights are badass.

croten

Too late to get passive aggressive about a 3 year old game that has been discussed at length multiple times on the Podcast.

3 Years is well within the statute of limitations, so please don't be pissy about it. If you post something that is a spoiler just put in a spoiler tag.

JEFF DOESNT LIKE YOSHI'S ISLAND!

Yes I've been very, very salty at Jeff's taste in video games.
I don't mind that because it built up this narrative of Patrick constantly pushing Yoshi's Island to counteract the negativity.

Same for when he lost his shit at the mention of NiGHTS into Dreams during the new releases segment. That was fucking legendary.

It's so fucking badumb.

I personally don't care about spoilers, but I'm over cautious on what I tag, knowing that some are.

If something is years old, you shouldn't expect to be shielded from spoilers.

Xiraiya

I don't think that something being on the Podcast, or there being an LP of something, automatically means spoilers no longer apply.

Really now, I would understand if it's a big "twist" kind of thing, I wouldn't want to spoil something like "Who the killer is"
I have no real obligation at this point not to casually talk about THAT instance, but I wouldn't because that's a pretty big deal and it's simple courtesy not to do that.
But you know what isn't a big deal? The final boss of a game that was never presented as a "secret" in the first place, it's not some big twist thing, so getting upset about it is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

In the context of "I've been playing it recently and I had no idea but you just spoiled that"
I would apologize because that's poor timing, I don't NEED to apologize but I would because that would suck.

In the context of "I would maybe like to play this game someday but I am not and might not in the near future."
Well you just have to get over it.

Zenfalcia

I don't like it. I actually think it's terrible. There's no excuse to post story related spoilers without a tag except laziness. I don't see it happen too often in here, though. Just sometimes.

I agree. I know it's an old game, but not everyone has played it.

Too late to get passive aggressive about a 3 year old game that has been discussed at length multiple times on the Podcast.

It's always time for passive agressiveness!! I really have only myself to blame.. i do phase out and forget those moments on the podcast.

Dumbledore dies.

H-How could you! How will my dumbledore x snape ship ever come true now! ;_;

croten

Really now, I would understand if it's a big "twist" kind of thing, I wouldn't want to spoil something like "Who the killer is"
I have no real obligation at this point not to casually talk about THAT instance, but I wouldn't because that's a pretty big deal and it's simple courtesy not to do that.
But you know what isn't a big deal? The final boss of a game that was never presented as a "secret" in the first place, it's not some big twist thing, so getting upset about it is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

In the context of "I've been playing it recently and I had no idea but you just spoiled that"
I would apologize because that's poor timing, I don't NEED to apologize but I would because that would suck.

In the context of "I would maybe like to play this game someday but I am not and might not in the near future."

Yeah well you can still just put a spoiler tag over it anyway, takes 2 seconds. I do agree that it wasn't much of a spoiler but I'm not the one being spoiled

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't think I've spoiled anything here but I will say I have never been on a forum or any place on the internet that was so damn sensitive about spoilers. It wouldn't even occur to me to spoiler something that is YEARS old.

So it's not laziness, it's literally not something that would cross my mind. Granted since now I've seen how some of you react to spoilers that are old as shit, I'd at least try to remember. But expecting everyone to always remember to spoiler every freaking thing in any game or anime or whatever that someone here MIGHT be interested in but hasnt finished (or even started), is absurd.

I don't find it absurd. People have lives and can't consume every piece of media that they want to right away. There's obviously a gray area as to what constitutes a spoiler, but I think "final boss" or "in-game twists/deaths" are pretty clear ones.

You could get spoiled. It's a risk that you assume when you make the decision to wait. I get that. At the same time, there's a spoiler tag for a reason. I'd ask that people have the decency to use discretion when talking about spoilers, but that power rests solely on the individual doing the spoiling.

It's actually not a spoiler for me, and I'm not really upset. I was talking more generally rather than directing it at you, but I do empathize with Zelfalcia. As I said before, it's definitely a gray area, but I usually try to be mindful of such things.

Xiraiya

Jeff's taste in games is super weird, there's probably more games I like that he dislikes then there are games we both like. Doesn't change my opinion of him that he's a smart, funny dude, and his comments on the industry and games journalism is extremely sound.
Also, I didn't find Gwyn disappointing because it was just a dude, he was just a shit boss in comparison to Old King Allant.

Yeah I agree Jeff's insight is really good to listen to, but it's just weird seeing these tastes pop up in amongst that stuff sometimes, he's usually pretty good at pointing out why something might be popular even if he's not a fan, so I always like that.

Edit: I haven't played Demon Souls so I guess I know what Old King Allant means now....

I don't mind that because it built up this narrative of Patrick constantly pushing Yoshi's Island to counteract the negativity.

Same for when he lost his shit at the mention of NiGHTS into Dreams during the new releases segment. That was fucking legendary.

It's so fucking badumb.

I need to see a video or clip of this.

Beloved

I don't find it absurd. People have lives and can't consume every piece of media that they want to. There's obviously a gray area as to what constitutes a spoiler, but I think "final boss" or "in-game twists/deaths" are pretty clear ones.

You could get spoiled. It's a risk that you assume when you make the decision to wait. I get that. At the same time, there's a spoiler tag for a reason. I'd ask that people have the decency to use discretion when talking about spoilers, but that power rests solely on the individual doing the spoiling.

My point is, yes you should try not to spoil people but you can't get butthurt over getting spoiled about something that is years old.

Because you know if I accidentally spoiled something for someone here, its not like it'd be out of malicious intent or on purpose, so getting on my (or anyone else's) case about it is pretty immature imo.

Zenfalcia

I don't think I've spoiled anything here but I will say I have never been on a forum or any place on the internet that was so damn sensitive about spoilers. It wouldn't even occur to me to spoiler something that is YEARS old.

So it's not laziness, it's literally not something that would cross my mind. Granted since now I've seen how some of you react to spoilers that are old as shit, I'd at least try to remember. But expecting everyone to always remember to spoiler every freaking thing in any game or anime or whatever that someone here MIGHT be interested in but hasnt finished (or even started), is absurd.

Maybe i'm just too picky about it since i don't like knowing anything about a series i would play or currently playing unless i really wanted to know. There are some things within the statute(statue?) Of limitations that shouldn't be spoiled or at least avoided to be spoiled.

Perhaps i made my post too kneejerk-y. I apologize.

croten

My point is, yes you should try not to spoil people but you can't get butthurt over getting spoiled about something that is years old.

Because you know if I accidentally spoiled something for someone here, its not like it'd be out of malicious intent or on purpose, so getting on my (or anyone else's) case about it is pretty immature imo.

Firstly 3 years is not a long time. I can understand a game that is 10 years old but something that came out in the past few years should still be in spoiler territory and secondly a spoiler can completely ruin someones experience, for example someone here, I forget who, won't watch Cowboy Bebop because the ending was ruined for them. Weather or not a spoiler is a big deal or not to you is completely irrelevant

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

How is that immature?

I know you might have a different standard for what a spoiler is, but there is no universal standard here. I'm not trying to be contentious. I'm simply asking people to use spoiler tags where they feel appropriate, while erring on the side of caution. Again, the recent "spoiler" isn't even a spoiler for me, and probably not a big deal. I was talking more generally because I've seen it happen before.

It wasn't even the point of my post.

You're hammering on the specific instance of your spoiler, which I don't really care about. If you interpreted my original post as me calling you out for being lazy or something, I apologize because it wasn't my intent. Again, I was speaking generally.

demidar

Yep. My statute maximum is 2 years. After 2 years, I'm probably not going to spoiler anything because 2 years is a really long time and if you don't care enough to play/watch something within two years then too bad.

But I'm actually way more lenient than that. When active discussion dies down, that's when I'll drop most spoiler tags except for big stuff like final bosses or penultimate swerves. This also means if something comes back into active discussion (for example Dark Souls when it was finally released for PC) then I start spoilering stuff again until it dies down.

Firstly 3 years is not a long time. I can understand a game that is 10 years old but something that came out in the past few years should still be in spoiler territory and secondly a spoiler can completely ruin someones experience, for example someone here, I forget who, won't watch Cowboy Bebop because the ending was ruined for them. Weather or not a spoiler is a big deal or not to you is completely irrelevant

Yeah I was pretty butthurt/bummed when Pat said that P4 thing on the podcast

Xiraiya

ftqwPIJ.gif

Yeah I was pretty butthurt/bummed when Pat said that P4 thing on the podcast
You mean on the Persona spoiler cast?

Zenfalcia

I've been reading gintama recently. Ehhh.. it's ok.
Actually, it's been one of the more humourous and serious mangas i've read in a while. Quite refreshing from the other comedies i've watched/read. 10/10 would continue reading.

Xux

Wait, Lord Gwyn's just an old guy at the end of Dark Souls? How's that any different from the weird, mutant salamander form of King Allant when you go inside the Old One at the end of Demon's Souls? Gosh, I hope Bloodborne has more surreal bullshit like that ending below the citadel.

Beloved

I say it's immature because getting on someone's case about anything minor is immature.

but *shrugs* I'm not going to debate it anymore. As I said before, this is a new thing to me because never have I encountered a place that considers it rude not to spoiler tag things that are 3+ years old.

It actually blows my mind that you guys have those expectations.

Will I try my best to respect it? Sure. But it'd be like, going your whole life tipping 20% and then you travel to a new city and a waiter gets offended that you didn't tip 30%.

I don't really remember in that case, there is only one P4 Spoiler that actually matters, and if it wasn't that then, oh well I guess, that's unfortunate.

It was when he said
go download the Marie and Culprit Ultimax DLC
and I was like "why would you...well fuck"

Wait, Lord Gwyn's just an old guy at the end of Dark Souls? How's that any different from the weird, mutant salamander form of King Allant when you go inside the Old One at the end of Demon's Souls? Gosh, I hope Bloodborne has more surreal bullshit like that ending below the citadel.
I don't count that form of Allant as the final boss, the one in Boletarian Palace is the main comparison because both those characters directly fight you. That and the old, twisted form of Allant at the end better conveyed how pathetic the situation was than Gwyn did.

Man, Demon's Souls' lore and characters are so much better than Dark...

Xiraiya

It was when he said
go download the Marie and Culprit Ultimax DLC
and I was like "why would you...well fuck"
Oh yeah, that's a bit unfortunate,
but I guess at that point when you see the character, you'll know something is up with him. I agree he could have phrased that better

I've been reading gintama recently. Ehhh.. it's ok.
Actually, it's been one of the more humourous and serious mangas i've read in a while. Quite refreshing from the other comedies i've watched/read. 10/10 would continue reading.
It's ridiculous and inappropriate but all of the characters have importance and their own stories and everything ties together pretty well, Sorachi can do whatever at any time no matter how retarded it is and have it still work because of how Gintama is set up, but there are alot of really good ideals and real human moments throughout that shows you that there is something great in there.

croten

I say it's immature because getting on someone's case about anything minor is immature.

but *shrugs* I'm not going to debate it anymore. As I said before, this is a new thing to me because never have I encountered a place that considers it rude not to spoiler tag things that are 3+ years old.

Will I try my best to respect it? Sure. But it'd be like, going your whole life tipping 20% and then you travel to a new city and a waiter gets offended that you didn't tip 30%.

It can be a big deal for some people. This spoiler wasn't too much but if I spoiled the ending to ICO or Shadow of the Colossus I can easily see people getting upset.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That seems kind of a narrow perspective, since something that's a minor issue for you isn't a minor issue for someone else. Things are rarely so black and white. You're in the new city. You should probably get used to people expecting certain things. This is on all of GAF, not just this thread.

Anyway, thanks for trying to adapt, genuinely. I wasn't trying to "call anyone out" or "get on someone's case."

Zenfalcia

mrw
tumblr_mykpyoluHz1rrnwc4o1_500.gif

I regret my post but ehhh..

Perhaps the expectations are too high? I got spoiled for P4's killer so i'm not too happy with anything with so-so is ____. Very personal thing.. i shouldnt have even brought it up..

Well we can have a civilized conversation about it and not turn it into a debate.

The weird thing is when multiple conversations happen and they all use spoilers either to hide sensitive information or as part of a joke.

Xiraiya

Perhaps the expectations are too high? I got spoiled for P4's killer so i'm not too happy with anything with so-so is ____. Very personal thing.. i shouldnt have even brought it up.
You know I can understand something like that making the issue more sensitive than it should logically be, that's a pretty big one to be ruined with.

demidar

Perhaps the expectations are too high? I got spoiled for P4's killer so i'm not too happy with anything with so-so is ____. Very personal thing.. i shouldnt have even brought it up..

Well we can have a civilized conversation about it and not turn it into a debate.

Considering P4 Ultimax exists even Atlus doesn't give a fuck.

Beloved

It can be a big deal for some people. This spoiler wasn't too much but if I spoiled the ending to ICO or Shadow of the Colossus I can easily see people getting upset.

I get that. I just don't think yall realize that like....no one is that mindful of old spoilers anywhere else, ever. So if you haven't been around Gaf for a long time, it probablyyyy wouldn't occur to you to spoiler something old.

I mean I got spoiled about
Ace's death
in One Piece when I was literally just a few chapters away from that moment and it made me butthurt so I know that feel but I was spoiled by a friend who knew I was reading through it for the first time, so that seems different to me than expecting random people on a forum to tiptoe around spoilers from anything in the last...5 years.

Xiraiya

You know what's worth discussion?
it's almost 2015 and we STILL don't have their top 10 2013 games
They should give it up at this point, just post a list on facebook from now on in future, saves time and can potentially happen within a reasonable time span.

I tag all the spoilers I talk about out of respect for everyone but those 2 examples are insane, they may have gotten a HD rerelease but those games are from 2 console generations ago and Shadow of the Colossus is 9 years old at this point, on the most popular console of all time. nearly a decade of being release on the most common console ever made (might be wrong about that) is way more then enough in a form of statute of limitations imo.

Of course I still spoil tag all my things and I'm not trying to start an argument here. I'm sure the right people will get pissed off but that is pretty extreme.

Zenfalcia

It's ridiculous and inappropriate but all of the characters have importance and their own stories and everything ties together pretty well, Sorachi can do whatever at any time no matter how retarded it is and have it still work because of how Gintama is set up, but there are alot of really good ideals and real human moments throughout that shows you that there is something great in there.

It really throws me into a loop sometimes. Like
when gintoki tells um.. the girl to leave earth and go with her father
it surprised me since i thought it would turn out differently. It's fairly uncoventional with its twists. The ramen shop little arc in the early 30s-40s chapters was a great mix of humour and somberness. I also love how everything is at least referenced in a future chapter. I hate when some mangas just drop those "assets" and never revisit them.

Xiraiya

Yeah, that more or less throws everything out the window.

P4 is a special case, with the P4G anime relatively fresh and it kind of having a bit of a resurgence from Ultimax etc. Plenty of people are just getting into Persona 4, so I would never want to be the person who ruins that experience for them.
Generally I'll shy away from surprise and twist spoilers, because that's mean, but anything that's kind of easy to conclude or foresee while playing that wasn't presented as a secret, no.

It really throws me into a loop sometimes. Like
when gintoki tells um.. the girl to leave earth and go with her father
it surprised me since i thought it would turn out differently. It's fairly uncoventional with its twists. The ramen shop little arc in the early 30s-40s chapters was a great mix of humour and somberness. I also love how everything is at least referenced in a future chapter. I hate when some mangas just drop those "assets" and never revisit them.
Yeah, you can think of Kabukichou as an open world that continues to progress off panel while Gintama goes on, minor characters might get referenced later or be involved in new things or something etc. etc. Unless people are straight up dead, at some point they'll be back for some reason.

Which makes the Gintama world feel way more alive.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Has anyone ever purchased anything from the SBFP store? I'm just curious about timeliness and packaging.

P4 is a special case, with the P4G anime relatively fresh and it kind of having a bit of a resurgence from Ultimax etc. Plenty of people are just getting into Persona 4, so I would never want to be the person who ruins that experience for them.

Generally I'll shy away from surprise and twist spoilers, because that's mean, but anything that's kind of easy to conclude or foresee while playing that wasn't presented as a secret, no.

I agree that's generally the best approach. Those are clearly the actual damaging spoilers. Even if it's easy for someone to get spoiled on something like that because of an influx of official media, I'd rather it not be me doing it.

The interesting thing is that despite the fact that more people might be getting into Persona 4 because of the new media, the new media is making it harder than ever to remain spoiler free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom