• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
SCV is the most balanced and competitively sound game in the franchise. Its shunned by some fans for its complete lack of worthwhile single player content(which has been a staple in the series) and the lackluster new characters. All things said, Its quite easily the most nuanced and sound SC game from a combat perspective.

In many regards it feels rushed. But to simply ignore its steps forward does it a disservice.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't doubt that the later games might be worse, but I know that SC2 is not nearly as fanservice-y as DOA games have always been. I've never been interested in the series, so I don't really know what makes SCV worse. I'll check it out.

I would argue that even Soul Cal 1 and 2 were more fan-servicey than you may think. Aside from Talim, all the female characters either had outfits that made it easy for upskirt views (Sophitia, Cassandra, Seung Mina) or a bunch of jiggle in the chest (Ivy, Taki) or ass (Xianghua). The jiggle may not be DOA levels of Age 99 nonsense, but they were exaggerated enough.

Maybe the fact that there were a lot less female characters in the roster then may have made it seem less obvious since they hadn't gone too crazy with the costumes yet, but even early Soul Cal had plenty of it given almost all the female characters had something.

Xiraiya

SCV is the most balanced and competitively sound game in the franchise. Its shunned by some fans for its complete lack of worthwhile single player content(which has been a staple in the series) and the lackluster new characters. All things said, Its quite easily the most nuanced and sound SC game from a combat perspective.

In many regards it feels rushed. But to simply ignore its steps forward does it a disservice.
I want to play SCV because I really enjoy the concept of creating custom characters in a fighting game setting.

So I think I've summed up Capcpom's attitude when their games fail
OQiAqMh.png

Sure. As long as they didn't give it to Musso because Hyrule Warriors was a success, and this isn't a pachinko machine, and it isn't for phones, and they don't decide that the reason DmC did bad was because it was too complicated and repeat DMC history, and one of a million other things doesn't fail. Sure. It'll be great.

Seeing that DmC was designed to be a more casul friendly DMC, I doubt that Capcom is thinking that making it more casul friendly is the key. For what it's worth, their bigger successes this past gen, have been the more difficult titles.

Zenfalcia

No no no, I just mean, basically take Soul Calibur and replace it with various Dark Souls characters with cool little story descriptions and Dark souls themed levels, music etc.

So yes, basically Dark Souls Calibur.
What mechanics will you keep and remove? You'd have to remove healing items, the ability to switch weapons in battle, the lore would have to be told to you rather than in item descriptions, and PvP isnt exactly the best part of the souls series, atleast that's how i see it.

What mechanics will you keep and remove? You'd have to remove healing items, the ability to switch weapons in battle, the lore would have to be told to you rather than in item descriptions, and PvP isnt exactly the best part of the souls series, atleast that's how i see it.
Compared to From's other big franchise, it sure as hell isn't.

Seeing that DmC was designed to be a more casul friendly DMC, I doubt that Capcom is thinking that making it more casul friendly is the key. For what it's worth, their bigger successes this past gen, have been the more difficult titles.

So what you're saying is, according to logic, DmC was bad and there's no reason to take it in that direction.

You're right.

But we're not talking about Nintendo. We're talking about Capcpom. And nothing they do makes sense.

Xiraiya

Well the game would have to be less Dark Souls in Gameplay and more in Lore and themes than anything else, though every weapon having different movesets is something that could translate well with some tweaks.

But I was thinking more like, for example You'd either have them make up characters who would be pre-equipped with gear from the game as achtypes, or straight up just make the NPCs and certain unique enemies be the playable characters, like say Oscar from DS1 would be a character with his sword and shield, or even Artorias etc.

There really could be a lot of ways they could go about it.

Which is the best? I havent really played many From games.
Armored Core. Though specifically I'm referring more to the later PS2 games starting with Armored Core 3, but the series as a whole is solid and has been pretty balanced in terms of weapons and parts, making certain load outs and play styles not broken or lame like magic or faith in the Souls series.

Also it's complex and very indepth, because mecha.

Zenfalcia

Well the game would have to be less Dark Souls in Gameplay and more in Lore and themes than anything else, though every weapon having different movesets is something that could translate well with some tweaks.

But I was thinking more like, for example You'd either have them make up characters who would be pre-equipped with gear from the game as achtypes, or straight up just make the NPCs and certain unique enemies be the playable characters, like say Oscar from DS1 would be a character with his sword and shield, or even Artorias etc.

There really could be a lot of ways they could go about it.
I feel like you'd lose too much of the souls' uniqueness by streamlining it to just PvP.

I was thinking like that too, you go out with either class presets or make a base guy and build upon him with items and equipment. That or use npcs and fight as them.

There are, it depends on what is kept, discarded or changed entirely.

Xiraiya

I feel like you'd lose too much of the souls' uniqueness by streamlining it to just PvP.

I was thinking like that too, you go out with either class presets or make a base guy and build upon him with items and equipment. That or use npcs and fight as them.

There are, it depends on what is kept, discarded or changed entirely.
Basically, I'd say get Soul Calibur, and paint it Dark Souls, and tweak/Build on that as a base until the game felt right.

They could probably make it feel pretty good if the fights were a bit slower and weighty, but also have health bars that are pretty small, so for a fight to go on for awhile it would be because both players refuse to die and can't quite get an opening on eachother.

You'd play as Izanagi fighting shadows and have sick Magatsu Izanagi rival fights
HideousChubbyHornshark.gif

Zenfalcia

Of course, if they can make it into a fighting game then a Character Action game is totally doable.

Yeah, it'd just be making the game 3d rather than 2d.

Armored Core. Though specifically I'm referring more to the later PS2 games starting with Armored Core 3, but the series as a whole is solid and has been pretty balanced in terms of weapons and parts, making certain load outs and play styles not broken or lame like magic or faith in the Souls series.

Also it's complex and very indepth, because mecha.

Are there newer ones that arent as good?

I'd expect it to be good.

Changing personas would be equivalent to style switching.

I kinda want it to have the same face button layout as P4A/U

Me too. So you'd just play as the MC? The party system would have to be reworked somehow.. maybe make it similar to the tales games? Also somehow there needs to be weapom switching and also persona switching.. but that might be too much.

Playing Persona 5, it's a massive dating sim, a battle starts, your Persona comes out and then you're suddenly playing Bayonetta.

Kinda? Maybe? Running around in an open world doing non character action things, like studying.. going on dates and then suddenly fighting.

After careful consideration, yes. Yes, it would be amazing.

It'd have to be done well of course.

You'd play as Izanagi fighting shadows and have sick Magatsu Izanagi rival fights

that'd be sick.

Oberon

Banned
Shh ignore him. Just look at this then get hype

dmc4-combo15fps-2-350i3s1y.gif

H-how?!

I-I need to finish DmC 4, I didn't even get to play as dante yet.

Ps . One Punch man spoilers
Remember when the Zaibatsu talked about how they imposter or cheater winning just because they get away with cheating ( it was during the Fist of the Northstar FNF)
King has to be one of my favorite example of this!

croten

Yo, I wanna upgrade from my shitty $20 controller for my PC for Christmas. Should I get one of those newfangled Xbone controllers?

A 360 controller would do you fine, unless you want to go for the DS4 controller but a lot of people seem to have trouble setting that up

Me too. So you'd just play as the MC? The party system would have to be reworked somehow.. maybe make it similar to the tales games? Also somehow there needs to be weapom switching and also persona switching.. but that might be too much.
I don't think you would need to switch weapons right? if you do need to, each time you switch a persona you change into what that persona weapon repersents?
Yo, I wanna upgrade from my shitty $20 controller for my PC for Christmas. Should I get one of those newfangled Xbone controllers?
I'd say PS4 over Xbone controller

Are there newer ones that arent as good?
There are some people who really like 4 and For Answer, thinking they're the best., though I say they're fucking crazy. Shit is sped up way faster than the old games along with a lot of changes in mechanics to facilitate it. Most also don't realize that Miyazaki directed those games before doing Demon's Souls, and frankly at this point, I never want that fucker touching AC again and rather let him keep making his action RPGs.

Verdict Day I like a lot better, but it's still very focused around its persistent online multiplayer and team based gameplay, plus certain aspects of controlling the mecha I'm not a fan of. Still pretty fun, though, and you can spend hours setting up individual AI for remote controlled ACs that can follow you into battle.

But, I still miss the old Armored Core days, both in terms of the AC designs (Shoji Kawamori ftw) and the control you had over it. It's not the same without that old boost model.

360pages

There are some people who really like 4 and For Answer, thinking they're the best., though I say they're fucking crazy. Shit is sped up way faster than the old games along with a lot of changes in mechanics to facilitate it. Most also don't realize that Miyazaki directed those games before doing Demon's Souls, and frankly at this point, I never want that fucker touching AC again and rather let him keep making his action RPGs.

Verdict Day I like a lot better, but it's still very focused around its persistent online multiplayer and team based gameplay, plus certain aspects of controlling the mecha I'm not a fan of. Still pretty fun, though, and you can spend hours setting up individual AI for remote controlled ACs that can follow you into battle.

But, I still miss the old Armored Core days, both in terms of the AC designs (Shoji Kawamori ftw) and the control you had over it. It's not the same without that old boost model.

I think it's just they wanted to make the games faster over all since they finally had the technology to do it. I wouldn't mind a spinoff with AC4 mechanics since we need more customizable fast Mecha games

Emouse

I'd say DS4 or a 360 control over xbone, triggers and bumpers aren't great, and personally I think the overall shape and feel of the control is uncomfortable

also yo what's up guys, I started watching KLK because blu ray box sets, episode 3 is like mega hype
dont lose your way tho

Edit: welcome friender!

Oberon

Banned

Hey, I didn't have the opportunity to welcome you here at BestGaf!
Welcome
Have you answered the usual quesion yet?
If not, here are they:
-Your Waifu
-Favorite Anime
-Favorite Video game series
-Life or Hometown?
- Have you read Prison school? If not you should

joe2187

Banned
Don't make me smash your dumb face.

5000 Red Orbs DLC pack $5.99

buy the 15000 Red Orb bundle pack for 10% off!

Dont forget to buy the new Weapons and Guns pack to unlock the exclusive Trial mode! all new weapon and character moves are now available for purchase, or 40% off with a season pas.

Pre-order today to get the customizable sword skins!

I think it's just they wanted to make the games faster over all since they finally had the technology to do it. I wouldn't mind a spinoff with AC4 mechanics since we need more customizable fast Mecha games
But the older games were already fast enough as they were that I didn't see the need for them make the ACs feel like you're playing it as a Human PLUS on steroids.

For all the effort they put into this systems, they would've been better spent on Another Century's Episode R and ensuring that it did not come out as a piece of shit like it did.

Zenfalcia

I don't think you would need to switch weapons right? if you do need to, each time you switch a persona you change into what that persona weapon repersents?

I'd say PS4 over Xbone controller

I was thinking it would be separate and not tied to each other. It'd making comboing a lot more complex with two ways to switch.

They wanted to change for better or worst to try to gain more of a player base or update the gameplay? At least they kept the same general gameplay which you can still enjoy. Hope for a remake of an older title? Which will probably never happen.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Naruto/Hinata overload in the movie promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9mrpEWPf4

Skirts do make panty shots possible, but I didn't find the costumes themselves so bad.

Sure they're not bad, but the skirts were short enough that you can get a flash just from dodging around fast enough at times.

And Ivy and Taki were starting the massive boob thing pretty early on also. They pretty much started to get bigger each iteration from SC2 forward.

Again, I'm not saying early SC was on par with DOA, but the fact that almost every female character had something fan-servicey and that things started to move in that direction even from SC1 -> SC2 shouldn't be ignored.

They wanted to change for better or worst to try to gain more of a player base or update the gameplay? At least they kept the same general gameplay which you can still enjoy. Hope for a remake of an older title? Which will probably never happen.
It's funny because a lot of people seemed to dislike V and Verdict Day even though I found the change in pace more preferable than 4 and For Answer, though in a way they kind of went a bit far in that other direction that it's still off in spots.

You know, if AC 6 just decides "fuck it, we're bringing back the Arena, start doing 1v1 battles again," I'd be totally fine with that. Fighting other ACs is the best, and that mode was the perfect place to do so in the old games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom