• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brothers are talking about Pokemon and I have no goddamm clue what they're talking about.

The fuck is a Goomy?

This adorable bastard
goomy_colour_by_theangryaron-d6pb8fs.png

Another thing to consider is that with things like PS Classics and the VC is that many people are going to play old games for the first time. How many actual kids have opened up PS3s and Wiis for Christmas? Do we ignore spoilers because the game is old or do we let them experience it as pure as possible?

This stuff is -really- absurd. I've had people get mad at me for spoiling games that came out before they were born. It's ridiculous. Guess what fuckers, Romeo and Juliet die at the end of the play OHHHH SHIIIT SPOOILERS

My brothers are talking about Pokemon and I have no goddamm clue what they're talking about.

The fuck is a Goomy?

250px-704Goomy.png

? Its pretty cute.
This stuff is -really- absurd. I've had people get mad at me for spoiling games that came out before they were born. It's ridiculous. Guess what fuckers, Romeo and Juliet die at the end of the play OHHHH SHIIIT SPOOILERS
Didn't the chorus spoiled that in the beginning? Thats a bad example but I get what your saying.

That's real bullshit right there. I'd throw a fit cause they spoiled me by dispatching games early so that I can get them the day before they come out.

If they don't dispatch it by tomorrow morning i may have to cancel and go out to buy it, but i don't know where else to get a GC adapter

Xiraiya

It's very simple to me, if it's huge twist-like story spoiler, such as Persona 4, don't ruin it for someone, try to avoid blurting it out without warning because it really matters to the overall story.

But if it's not something that is kind of kept as a hidden secret or really changes the story by knowing, then I don't really care, It's unfortunate if you are playing a game and someone happens to spoil a detail, but that's just bad timing, you can't help that.

Now that shit pisses me off. If a game came out fifteen years ago, don't bitch at me for spoiling it. Go play it.

One thing that I do agree with Jeff about, is that the worst thing you can do about spoilers is scream and cry about how somethings a spoiler. Say I mention "yeah sometimes you lose and gain party members throughout the game" in FF7, and someone starts screaming bloody murder "HOLY FUCK THATS A SPOILER OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU SPOIL THAT" then instead of that comment passing harmlessly through someones head, now they're on the lookout for it. Vinny discussed how he didn't play FF7 until like 3 years ago, but because his head isn't up his ass and he wasn't paying attention, he'd hear FF7 spoilers constantly, but they'd never take root or stick because he didn't care. That's what the statue is for. If you care enough that it'd stick in your mind for a year, guess what? You shouldn't wait more than a year to play it.

Zenfalcia

Noooo! Why did you say that! How will Mercuctio be romeo's best man now!

In a serious note, if they were reading/watching romeo and juliet it would be a horrible thing to do. Regardless of hold old it is, imo.

edited because wrong name.

Noooo! Why did you say that! How will Benvoli be romeo's best man now!

In a serious note, if they were read/watching romeo and juliet it would be a horrible thing to do. Regardless of hold old it is, imo.

No, it wouldn't. Romeo and Juliets story is so deeply ingrained into culture that their god damn names are metaphors in daily english speech. The story is hundreds of years old and is taught in most highschools (or Macbeth, or what have you). It's also in modern enough english that it's legible by the average person. I remember being 7 years old and grabbing some Shakespeare from the library out of curiosity, but I quit because I found it boring. There's no excuse. If you cared, you'd have read it or absorbed it in some context. Unless you're like, 10 years old or some shit, at which point shut up kid you're a kid shut up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
One thing that I do agree with Jeff about, is that the worst thing you can do about spoilers is scream and cry about how somethings a spoiler. Say I mention "yeah sometimes you lose and gain party members throughout the game" in FF7, and someone starts screaming bloody murder "HOLY FUCK THATS A SPOILER OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU SPOIL THAT" then instead of that comment passing harmlessly through someones head, now they're on the lookout for it. Vinny discussed how he didn't play FF7 until like 3 years ago, but because his head isn't up his ass and he wasn't paying attention, he'd hear FF7 spoilers constantly, but they'd never take root or stick because he didn't care. That's what the statue is for. If you care enough that it'd stick in your mind for a year, guess what? You shouldn't wait more than a year to play it.

That shit happens constantly when discussing DanganRonpa 1 and 2. I actually was spoiled on a number of things just because someone was loudly shouting that something seemingly innocuous was a spoiler.

Moral of the story: Don't engage in conversations about DanganRonpa.

Beloved

No, it wouldn't. Romeo and Juliets story is so deeply ingrained into culture that their god damn names are metaphors in daily english speech. The story is hundreds of years old and is taught in most highschools (or Macbeth, or what have you). It's also in modern enough english that it's legible by the average person. I remember being 7 years old and grabbing some Shakespeare from the library out of curiosity, but I quit because I found it boring. There's no excuse. If you cared, you'd have read it or absorbed it in some context. Unless you're like, 10 years old or some shit, at which point shut up kid you're a kid shut up.

I was typing a reply but that sums up what I was going to say.

Also "Shut up kid you're a kid shut up", I feel like I need this on a shirt.

Zenfalcia

I can see that point, but there is the off chance of being lucky enough to avoid all references about it. It's not likely but it could happen that there'll be a person who cares enough about shakespeare and not know anything about romeo and juliet. B-but kids! They have feelings too!

Xiraiya

Spoilers rarely matter to me, because my enjoyment of something is based on the whole story, from the game menu to the game credits, that's where my enjoyment lies, not on one single part of a game, so I actually got spoiled on P4 before watching either anime or playing the game, it was kind of unfortunate but it really affected my enjoyment none, because finding out how the story gets to this one point is the fun of it all for me.

I'd feel like an idiot if I was like "Well fuck now I can't enjoy anything because I know x is the killer or x died". Actually if that mattered so much with my enjoyment then I probably don't like the game/story/movie enough to even have a right to care.

The problem is there's no consensus for shit like that. Some people would scream at you that the fact that (MGS2)
Raiden
is even in the game is the biggest spoiler in there. We had people flipping their shit for having a topic about Rammby or whatever his name is being in Tropical Freeze. As for THAT stuff, if it's in a trailer/official thing put out by the company, I feel that shit has to be fair game.

We are in agreement with that.

I get what you're saying Pat and there's always something that will eventually be spoiled in the flow of conversation. It happens.

Even someone from another thread spoiled me on TWD S2 with
Kenny
in their thread title. A lot of it is inevitable.

However, I will try my hardest to avoid spoiling things that shouldn't be spoiled.

I'm awaiting the day I'm spoiled on something P3 or P4 related, but I'll still make the time to play them.

Beloved

I can see that point, but there is the off chance of being lucky enough to avoid all references about it. It's not likely but it could happen that there'll be a person who cares enough about shakespeare and not know anything about romeo and juliet. B-but kids! They have feelings too!

This just goes along with the modern trend we have of people tiptoeing around every goddamn thing and people feel like they are entitled to having every other person on the planet cater to their fucking needs and desires.

No, how about be a decent human being in every way that matters and also NOT act like a dipshit over something as minor as being spoiled about a play that's hundreds of years old? xD

I mean come on!

360pages

Yeah, my enjoyment of the game is the whole and just having something small spoiled isn't going to ruin it for me. Mystery games might be somewhat different, but still having an RPG story spoiled won't ruin it for me.

If it's ingrained in pop culture, it's fair game.
But I just want my kid to experience Earthbound with as little outside influence as possible. There's a fair amount of responsibility on me to prevent that, but I hope other people don't casually ruin that effort.

Yeah, people screaming is not a great thing to experience no matter the circumstance (unless it is actually bloody murder)

Also, I'm of the opinion that when canon sequels (plot wise) come out, a lot of the ground you have to stand on fall away. Final Fantasys a different plot every time, so it's exempt, but like, Metal Gear. If we're talking about MGS4 in ANY context, you better believe that MGS1-3 are fair game.

Okingjrr

If they don't dispatch it by tomorrow morning i may have to cancel and go out to buy it, but i don't know where else to get a GC adapter

If you ordered the bundle with the adapter, you might want to hold on to it. That thing's sold out.
If you really want the game, you could still buy it then resell it after you get your amazon order.

This just goes along with the modern trend we have of people tiptoeing around every goddamn thing and people feel like they are entitled to having every other person on the planet cater to their fucking needs and desires.

No, how about be a decent human being in every way that matters and also NOT act like a dipshit over something as minor as being spoiled about a play that's hundreds of years old? xD

I mean come on!

Consequences of an interconnected Internet society.

Everyone feels the need to be politically correct and tiptoe around everything.

Lots of hyperbole everywhere.

A whole lot of trying to humanize everything and everyone.

It's unsustainable, really.

Also, I'm of the opinion that when canon sequels (plot wise) come out, a lot of the ground you have to stand on fall away. Final Fantasys a different plot every time, so it's exempt, but like, Metal Gear. If we're talking about MGS4 in ANY context, you better believe that MGS1-3 are fair game.

Well, it never made sense to me why people play a sequel and don't attempt to play the first in a series.

joe2187

Banned

Am I the only one that liked the Leo DeCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet?

It was amazing when we had to watch it for English in HS, our entire class along with the english teacher were just riffing on it the whole way through. Great times.

Also, Othello is best Shaqspere play.

OOOOOHHHHH FUCK IAGO!!

360pages

I played DMC3 before DMC1 and I still enjoy both games equally. In fact, I probably appreciated the Story of DMC1 than if I played that first than DMC3.

DMC4 I said until after both of them.

The problem is there's no consensus for shit like that. Some people would scream at you that the fact that (MGS2)
Raiden
is even in the game is the biggest spoiler in there. We had people flipping their shit for having a topic about Rammby or whatever his name is being in Tropical Freeze. As for THAT stuff, if it's in a trailer/official thing put out by the company, I feel that shit has to be fair game.

The only argument against that is if someone outright states that they're going on media blackout and want as little information as possible before they engage in any discussion about the topic. If they bring up the blackout after trailer material is brought up, they have no defense because it should be assumed to be public knowledge until stated differently.

But this point itself has more weight in a personal, face-to-face setting where one isn't at a computer and can easily find the information.

Xiraiya

Am I the only one that liked the Leo DeCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet?

I have the most baffling experience with that movie (I liked it) When I was a kid, I saw it in theatres and liked it, and even understood it.

Then when I watched it as a teenager, I was mind blown at the fact they don't talk normally, that they're going all out in Shakespearian the whole movie and I swear to god I was so confused at first because I remembered them talking normally as a kid so vividly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Consequences of an interconnected Internet society.

Everyone feels the need to be politically correct and tiptoe around everything.

Lots of hyperbole everywhere.

A whole lot of trying to humanize everything and everyone.

It's unsustainable, really.

Really? Because I think that internet culture is the direct subversion of this, unless you're specifically talking about tweeting and Facebook, which quite frankly, is a hard (but fair) lesson learned.

"I got a Perfect Shiny Metagross."

It's like another fucking language.

I assume he's talking about IV spread and nature. Basically he rolled good stats. Shiny is just a rare alternate palette color, but there's a special event going on that's giving away this guy with his alt colors for free.

Getting shines and good stats got A LOT easier in ORAS.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I played DMC3 before DMC1 and I still enjoy both games equally. In fact, I probably appreciated the Story of DMC1 than if I played that first than DMC3.

DMC4 I said until after both of them.

Speaking of which, DMC4 is only $5 during the Steam sale.

Only $5. That's the price of a value meal for one of the best ports ever.

-shilling done-

Wow he's in there deep. You gotta pull it out of him... Hes got a top tier Metagross thats also rare. I wonder if he'd RNG abusing that game...

It's like the only game these fuckers play. They got Wii U's and I was like "Yo, how 'bout that Bayo and 101" and they were like "Psh, whatever. Smash and Zelda box."

Zenfalcia

I mean come on!

Yeah, it's also due to the easy access of internet that also made that more apparent. In the past people didnt know as much as they did now. In general, catering can be done but with context and moderation? I mean you can't just tell everyone to deal with it.

Yay, human decency. That's hard to say that with everyone, but it can vary on the context?

Spoilers: the chicken came before the egg.

It's like the only game these fuckers play. They got Wii U's and I was like "Yo, how 'bout that Bayo and 101" and they were like "Psh, whatever. Smash and Zelda box."

Well at least they are Nintendo games instead of COD. Back in the day we had to work hard for our perfects and shinys or abuse the system. They used to consume lives. Lucky for them Pokemon battling are getting way more casualized.

Really? Because I think that internet culture is the direct subversion of this, unless you're specifically talking about tweeting and Facebook, which quite frankly, is a hard (but fair) lesson learned.

YMMV

Some people subvert the need to be politically correct. Others know enough about the Internet to not say anything revealing about who they are.

Well at least they are Nintendo games instead of COD. Back in the day we had to work hard for our perfects and shinys or abuse the system. They used to consume lives. Lucky for them Pokemon battling are getting way more casualized.
Yeah, how dare they want to play games they want to play. Fucking kids.

I know i am. If we're really going down to it.. neither? Since evolutionary reasons of the previous species creating the "chicken"? Or if we even go further back we can say the "chicken" cell came first.
I believe that Chicken alpha laid the chicken beta's egg who laid the real chicken's egg. This theory is similar right?
Yeah, how dare they want to play games they want to play. Fucking kids.
As Pat would say to kids...
shut up kid you're a kid shut up.

The only other games they play are Smash and COD.

Wow you need to slap those little fuckers and strap them down with some platinum

They're my older brothers. Oldest Is 7 years older than me and the younger is 4 years older than me.

Zenfalcia

I believe that Chicken alpha laid the chicken beta's egg who laid the real chicken's egg. This theory is similar right?

But how far back will you go? Because by that logic chicken alpha has to be the very first "chicken" birthed by something before it or evolved from microscopic organism.

But how far back will you go? Because by that logic chicken alpha has to be the very first "chicken" birthed by something before it or evolved from microscopic organism.
This traces back to how you define "Chicken". It originally was an animal that didn't resemble a chicken in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom